3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > Age 50+

~~September Golden Girls~~

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #16

S/C/G: 250/240/160

Height: 5'5

Happy September, friends. I have made a life-altering decision since I last posted. I'll be retiring from teaching in May and I'm so excited! I feel like dancing. I didn't want to go back this school year, but there I am. I'm choosing a second career and I'm having fun deciding what it will be.

Has anyone here switched careers after 50? Please tell me your stories.

Rytre

One for every 5lbs lost
Old 09-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #17

Oops, didn't realize how annoying those carrots would be. On the positive side, I now have a tracker! I'm going looking to find how to make my mini goals show up.

Ree

One for every 5lbs lost
Old 09-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #18

I'm not sure where to post this but I wanted to write it down so I can come back and look at it from time to time.

My goal for September is to lose 8 pounds.
Another goal for this month is to begin using the elliptical for a few minutes every day.

Longer-term goals:
Currently in 20W slacks - yearning to be in 18W by October 15.
Currently wearing 2x tops - want to fit nicely into a 1x again by October 15.

There are 37 weeks of school left. I would like to lose two pounds a week which would be 74 pounds by the last day of school. I would be so close to my goal.

Thanks for reading.

One for every 5lbs lost
Old 09-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #19
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Rytre - sounds like you're a girl on a mission! Good for you! That kind of attitude will get you where you want to be!

Bobbi - I love, love, love the "feel" of your house! It's so warm, cozy, and inviting. Good job!

The cat (how about Cyril?) ate a couple of morsels of food and drank a lot of water... baby steps, baby steps!

I'm reading a lovely book and want to get back to it. Later, lovelies!

Old 09-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #20

S/C/G: 185/155/140

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1 View Post
Rytre - sounds like you're a girl on a mission! Good for you! That kind of attitude will get you where you want to be!

Bobbi - I love, love, love the "feel" of your house! It's so warm, cozy, and inviting. Good job!

The cat (how about Cyril?) ate a couple of morsels of food and drank a lot of water... baby steps, baby steps!

I'm reading a lovely book and want to get back to it. Later, lovelies!
Hi Donna,

That white cat looks JUST like my Harry. Same face & body - long and muscular, but not heavy.

Lynn
Old 09-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #21
Struggling Dieter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rytre View Post
Happy September, friends. I have made a life-altering decision since I last posted. I'll be retiring from teaching in May and I'm so excited! I feel like dancing. I didn't want to go back this school year, but there I am. I'm choosing a second career and I'm having fun deciding what it will be.

Has anyone here switched careers after 50? Please tell me your stories.

Rytre
I did accounting all my life. 35 years. At 55 my job was eliminated. I did not want the pressure of another accounting job, so I took a job at a mail-order pharmacy doing data entry. It was so relaxing, I just sat at my computer and entered patients info and doctor's info. I was allowed to listen to my radio or mp3 player as long as I wore a head set. It was casual attire. I did that for 9 years and then I retired for good. If I hadn't gotten sick I probably would still work there, at least part time. It was easy money.

Good luck to you!

Old 09-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #22
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Hola, Lynn - we're making progress. He's eating, finally! I poured a little salmon juice on his turkey bits, and he turned his nose up. I held him, which he loves, and put little chunks into his mouth. Once he swallowed a couple of them, he agreed to eat off his plate, and he's pretty much cleaned it up. I was getting worried, since it's been over 48 hours. Still no peeping or pooping, but I'll keep an eye on him for the next couple of hours and make sure that he navigates to the box in the basement. Ooooh, this is so exciting!! And I do seem to remember that one of your furbabies is all white. Does your guy have blue eyes, too? This fellow sleeps a lot! I don't think he'll miss me at all while I'm at work. Drat! I thought I had the perfect reason to retire tomorrow... alas!

Old 09-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #23

Today is our 51st anniversary! Still can't believe this man asked ME to share his life...it is such a special privilege and blessing! I am not deserving but God is good and I am the greatful recipient. We were thinking about having a BBQ today but none of our kids were available and I woke up still tired and achy...better now though. We plan to go out to dinner tonight and that is enough. We did a little shopping this afternoon. I'm trying to arrange my bathroom vanity storage better. I bought a metal 2 drawer storage thingy at BB&B and may get another one, then fill in the middle with a plastic box or bin. It's a small vanity and I can't go too high due to the plumbing, but I was able to get my hair products bottles in standing up in the top drawer of the thing I bought today and that's the biggest challenge usually, so I think it will work ok. My original plan was to go with white bins and blue labels but guess I can be flexible. I may use a blue plastic shoe box in between them for a little blue at least and I don't really need labels. They would probably be more trouble than they are worth.

Jess/Donna - Glad you are having fun with your new pet!

Wannabe - I'd like doing data entry as you describe. What I don't want again is having so much responsibility. I want to take it easy now. I retired at 52 and for a while I tried various type jobs from home. I tried selling online (no good at that!), advertised for someone else (did ok at first but then nothing), became a technical recruiter using phone mostly but some online...today it would probably be mostly online. I enjoyed it somewhat but it was so time consuming...paid well when a deal went through but could take a long time before it happened. I think I wasn't that good at it..not pushy enough and wouldn't lie..things like that..now I'm just plain lazy, we have enough to get along and I'm content without working. Truthfully I feel very blessed that I've been able to retire, if it hadn't been for dh I'd be working still.

Ryte - Happy that you are so motivated and looking forward to retiring plus starting a second career. I realize some people love working and it's a good thing really that not everyone is like me (lazy). I was a hard worker but was never really that ambitious.

Bobbi - Love your house, thanks for sharing! I can't believe how clean your desk is! Not sure I could get anything done with that clean a desk LOL You should see mine...papers stacked (and scattered) about. It gets cleared about once a week (or month). I love order but I can't seem to maintain it!

Lynn - If I were buying an e-reader today and didn't have an iPad already, I think I'd either go for a Kindle or an iPad Mini. It depends on what you are doing. Having a iPad already, I'm kinda spoiled and would want something that could do more than just being an eReader. But that's just me...I have not tried a Nook nor have I tried all the hundreds of tablets out there. What I'd really like to have is a small tablet (like the mini) that is also a phone and has a great camera. I also do not care for Apple's email much but since I don't work with email much on my iPad or phone, it's not too big a deal.

Last edited by maryea : 09-02-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #24
Bobbi

S/C/G: 160/129/124

G' Morning
I plan on meeting someone at the YMCA this morning for an hour exercise class, I keep putting her off. Why? I've gotten lazy. Bruce and I walked over yesterday with plans to work out, got there and it was closed for Labor Day.

K3...You're welcome.
I love putting puzzles together too, I sell mine at rummage sales when finished with them. Was George honored when the Queen of England's great grandson was named after him?
I think You and George are a good match with your wacky senses of humor.

Sassy...Yup...your grandson is a perfect clone of you. Is that your DD or DS's kid?

Lynn...I think Varicose Vigilantes sounds like a book I'd like to read. I used to read a dozen books a week from the library but gotten away from it. (I like to play online Scrabble better) Tiffany (DD) gave me a kindle and I get about 1/2 hour in at bedtime, that's it. I don't own a Nook or I-pad so can't comment on it.

KarenMo...Guy Penrod was my favorite when he sang with the Gaithers, does he have his boys come up on stage and sing too? I saw a clip one time when Bill Gaither went to his home and all the boys sang, his wife Angie was singing too.

Ryte...what Midwest state do you live in?

Mary...congrats on 51 years. Bruce and I have an anniversary in 9 days, we'll have been married 48 years. I was ready to divorce him last month when he purchased the Harley Davidson we couldn't afford. Geeeeeeeeeeezzzz, he's so selfish!

If I outlive him, I'm gonna put up all his deer, antelope, elk and caribou racks/head mounts up for sale on ebay..... the same day as the funeral. Then the Harley Davidson goes, then I'm going to get rich selling all his guns. K3 and Rosey, you can probably relate about the guns. I told Bruce I was going to do this, he didn't laugh.

Time to take my turn at Scrabble, get ready for the gym.

Thanks for the comments on my cozy house, I love it.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #25
Sassy

S/C/G: 220/188/150

Height: 5'2"

Lynn -- I've used a Kindle for years and love it. We have it set up so that any books I purchase automatically go to my daughters' Kindles, also (and vice versa). It makes it easy to share and/or discuss the books.

Bobbi -- The grandson belongs to one of my daughters. I only had girls and they only had boys -- one daughter has two boys and the other has one boy. It seems that a lot of people think girls are tougher to raise, but my girls were easy and the grandsons more challenging, although they are all doing fine. The grandson pictured is the middle one, but the only one who looks a lot like me. It does seem kind of amazing to me that my girls only got half of their gene pool from me and the grandson only half of her half, yet he looks so much like me. When I turned 50, he was about 5 or 6 and the girls thought it would be fun to buy me a "My twin" doll -- they used old pictures of me and used him as a model to better match up coloring and the doll did end up looking like I did when I was about 4 years old -- kind of fun.

Sassy
Old 09-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #26
Bobbi

Donna...I thought of you 15 minutes ago when I was sweating in the 'Old Farts' class. I never sweat, usually am cold. I know you hate the hot weather and sweater weather is more your style. Everyone at class said I was going to be too hot in my long sleeve sweat shirt. I hated to admit to anyone that I was dying, now I know how you feel.
Thursdays class I'm wearing jean shorts and T-shirt.
I love your new kitty, he is beautiful.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #27

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Bobbi, Guy had Kevin from the Gaithers with him this time and another young man. None of his kids were with him. He has 7 boys and 1 girl!! He was laughing at the fact that they now have 2 kids in college at the same time and will have 2 kids in college at the same time for the next 14 years!! Then he said hopefully not the same 2!!! They had performed in Branson the night before and when they left here they were headed to Nashville!

Karen

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow. ~

Last edited by Karen31 : 09-03-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #28
Bobbi

The old oak table I refinished turned out nice. Bruce poked two dozen holes in the top while using for a work bench.
I'm telling myself it adds character. Here is a before and after picture.
I thought it was a Maple table, under all that gunk was a nice light colored oak. It's actually prettier than it looks on these pictures, the color doesn't show through. I'm using it upstairs in my private quarters. I'll post some pictures of the upstairs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1592.jpg (26.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1648.jpg (24.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1649.jpg (28.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 09-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #29
Bobbi

This is my private quarters, I spend lots of time up here. I have 3 built in set of drawers and tons of storage along both sides of the upstairs. It's one big room, you can see the stair case on one of the pictures. ( Lots of Knotty pine up here)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1646.jpg (33.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1650.jpg (30.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1651.jpg (28.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1654.jpg (30.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1645.jpg (31.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #30
Bobbi

I sleep up here, Bruce prefers the 1st floor bedroom. The Fox picture over the small stand is another picture my oil painting my mom did. I have my make-up desk/chair in the corner where I fill in all the cracks on my face. I forgot to take a picture of the hardwood floor we put up here, use your imagination. It's totally cozy and very sound proof. Bruce asks me all the time, did you hear the sirens go off? Nope!. Did you hear the dogs barking? Nope.
Ta Ta

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1640.jpg (29.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1641.jpg (29.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1642.jpg (28.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1643.jpg (30.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1644.jpg (34.9 KB, 12 views)
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.