Old 08-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #1  

Location: Anchorage AK in the summer, Lawrence KS and travel in the winter

S/C/G: High 285+ 256/ticker/160ish

Height: 5'6"

Default Another new oldie but goodie here

I just introduced myself in the new members section. My food story is long and involved. I have 75ish pounds to lose. I am roughly 231#, a Type II diabetic but oddly enough I'm pretty fit and active.

I am also a recovered bulimic and binge eater (over 20 years since purging, 15 since my last bona fide binge) and I am after a profound life moment unraveling a food addiction so I won't be dieting specifically.

I'm trying to be aware of and respond to hunger and satiation cues, eating when I'm hungry with mindfulness and gratitude, eating things that will nourish my body and stopping when I've had enough, leaving "treats" for appropriate times like holidays and special occasions. It's working. I've lost 25 pounds this summer without dieting. I have a lot left to go but my goals are modest. I'm here looking for community.

Hopefully there is someone here with similar life experiences or weight loss process.

Cathy
vintagecat

Last edited by vintagecat; 08-12-2013 at 08:29 PM.
vintagecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

That's a good plan, Cathy. I am not diabetic, but I do have reactive hypoglycemia and a sensitivity to carbs, so I have to be careful of my body's cues on when to eat. If I eat a meal filled with quick-burning carbs, my blood sugar spikes, gets flooded with insulin, and crashes, and suddenly I'm ravenous when I shouldn't be. I've solved that by being very aware of what kinds of carbs I consume now. I'm sure being diabetic you are used to watching your carbs. As long as I stick to slow-burning carbs, I can handle just eating when I'm hungry, as you are now doing.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote