3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > Age 50+

Where do you buy your plus size clothing?

Old 01-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #31

Macy Woman has sizes up to 3X. I think other department stores do too. I don't care for Woman Within. Their clothes seem to get cheaper looking every year. I wear larger than 3X and buy from Making It Big, a catalog company catering to plus size women. The clothes are simple but well constructed and of good quality fabric. They're not cheap but they wear well.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #32

S/C/G: 212/157/145

Height: 5' 4"

Here is something I am embarrassed to say I don't know. What is the difference between a junior size, a misses size, a woman's size, and those plus sizes lovingly designated by a W (clearly for "wide)? I mean, there are 14s in misses and then there are 14s in woman's, and I guess 14s in plus, right? And they must be all different but I don't know exactly how.
Mad Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #33
Haven't quit yet!

S/C/G: 485/372.4/200

Height: 6'0

I've had a lot of luck at JC Penney for dresses in the 2X, 3X range when I'm in the states.

I shop a lot online - Igigi is a go to for "fancy" dress stuff, and it is pricey, but you can't beat the quality. A more inexpensive option is swakdesigns. There casual wear is great.

Old Navy Canada has started carrying some plus stuff online too.

2014 Reboot!
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #34
apple to apple core

S/C/G: 275/198.2/175

Height: 5'7"

I work in retail, so I can only speak in general terms, but generally...

Juniors sizes are always odd numbers. They usually seem to stop at about a 15, but I do see 17s on occasion. Some stores might have larger junior's sizes available. A junior's cut is definitely narrower and slimmer, somewhat smaller, and sometimes shorter than a misses garment even if the size numbers are close.

Misses sizes are even numbers. In pants, they usually stop at 16, but I sometimes see 18s in that department depending on the brand. Tops usually stop at an XL. The garment cuts are are average.

Women's i.e Plus sizes are also even numbers. They do usually have a W after the size if the garment is pants (18w/20w, etc.) I usually see Women's pants start at a 16W or 18W on up. For tops, the smallest women's size I sometimes see is a 0x/2x/3x on up. Women's size garments are usually markedly wider and more generously cut, and seem to have roomier sleeves for example when it comes to tops. The necklines might even be a big lower to accommodate a larger figure silhouette.

We have extended sizes online that we don't stock in the stores, like XXL tops for junior's and misses. XXL indicates a junior's or misses extended size. Women's tops at our store is always "2XL" i.e they have a number in them.

WORKING OFF REGAIN

TooWicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:15 AM   #35

Wow, this is a very interesting post. And you guys are lucky, I'm almost 57 and still getting my sisters, hand-me-downs lol
MoonShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:33 AM   #36

S/C/G: 203/197/140

Height: 5' 4"

I like Dressbarn. I also buy a lot of tunics from Macy's. I find going in the store is better than online.

Ranch Girl
Ranch Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:02 AM   #37
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Hmm...well, I usually go for Lane Bryants only for the bras, underwears, and yoga pants. Not a fan of their current trend in making their tops so thin you need to buy two more just to be decent...

I've been getting into retro 40s and 50s clothing, but sadly cannot buy them till I'm a bit slimmer since they don't go up very much in sizes. So that's my goalpost for now...

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2014, 10:36 PM   #38

S/C/G: 229/216/180

Height: 5'4"

Like others have said, I do like Dress Barn, they seem to have just about an equal amount of larger clothes unlike many other stores. Also, I will go to Macy's and try a few things on and buy them.
Waterbunny77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #39

S/C/G: 256/ticker/240

Height: 5' 8"

Default plus size clothing

I buy most of my clothes at Dress Barn ( the Jones NY line) and Kohls buy the Ralph Lauren Chaps brand.

I use to like Macy's but the past. Couple of years they have gone down hill. Most of their plus size clothing is a private lavel brand that doesn't fit me right at all. I'm very disapointed in Macys they got rid of all their designer brands which I would buy when they went on clearance.

What I am having problem aith is nice work out clothes. Have you seen how cute the workout clothes are in Kohls OMG. nothing in plus size. 3x
Old 05-09-2014, 07:06 PM   #40

S/C/G: 250

Height: 5'8

Default easy shopping

I agree…..fat I am but huge bright flowers make it worse! I have a Steinmart nearby and their sales are awesome. Florida loves prints and pastels…..not my style so I have to dig. My daughter is a great shopper and does well for me at Sacs and Lord &Taylor (the outlet stores) I think it's Off Sacs(sp?)

I recently went from a 26 to a 22-24. and have had good luck with the knock around cloths….at Wal-mart!

I've also bought a few things on ebay.
BTW this is my first post on this board! Thanks for having me!
judiev331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #41

These are great tips. Thanks. I need long shirts and can never seem to find them!
Old 06-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #42

I was looking for some black/ white print pants because these soft flowing pants are the trend this summer and I want a pair. As I WAS TROLLING THE internet I came across this plus size blogger. She shows great plus size fashions and list where they came from.

http://fromthereztothecity.blogspot.com
Old 06-14-2014, 01:31 PM   #43

S/C/G: 177/163.4/140

Height: 5'3"

Smile Coldwater Creek is G.O.O.B.

Going out of Business. I shop there too and have managed to visit 2 stores to pick up bargains. Last weekend (6/7/14) and the one before. Everything is 40-60% off. Catalog is going too so shop fast!

Just letting everyone know as I saw it mentioned twice above. I do not work there.

I also like Eddie Bauer (outlet) and LL Bean (although there isn't much choice of color/style in XL).
peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #44

I also were 3x and I order all my things from women within thay have nice things for all ages!! And every thing I have got from there fit well and have lasted
candy1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:56 AM   #45

I will say I was at Macy's this week and picked up a few items. They seem to have gotten better since the last time I was there a year ago.
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.