Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

hey all...still busy and thing is the more I do the worse the house looks, but no matter...tssk! I went thru 2 wooden boxes of love letters between DH and me. After we got engaged he was shipped out and got back in time to be reshipped to Beirut Lebanon. So we were apart for about 10 months and wrote huge letters daily. I decided there was just too much personal stuff that my kids didn't need to know and tossed most of the tub. Kept a few like when he was in action and a couple that made me fall in love all over again. I just can't toss my Diary that I kept for almost 10 years...specially the part where I kept spelling it dear dairy.....Way back in the early posts I talked about DH and even said at one point that there were 2 males in my life who will never see me as an adult. My Dad, of course, and George. I read stuff to him and we both got mellow. At our age mellow is fine!!! Our 55th wedding anniversary is in Oct. Ahhhh, gesh, I even saved our 35th anniversary card where I spent hours write out small keys of do you remember this and that and that again made us mellow.

Prayers needed for my DD. She is having a mylogram tomorrow and didn't do well last time. She needs more back surgery and they have do this first. Sometimes being a mom is so hard.

Still having daily huge showers. I don't think we've had one dry day in 2 months. Thank goodness the new drain is working. Dash has about worn out his Thunder Shirt.

Got get this mess heaped up as cleaning girl comes tomorrow to vaccum and the floor is not visible.

hugs all k3
Old 08-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #122  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning girls.....prayers for your DD K3, also to Glynne for her job search.
Welcome Ree and great picture of you Sassy. I like your streaked hair and hair style.

This site poses all kinds of problems that can usually be ironed out. I have to sign in every time I want to post, a nuisance. Something to do with cookies and the way my cp is set up. Funny, same computer as before we moved, no change in the set up?

Today we have the hardwood floor crew over again to put in the oak floor upstairs, our last big expense. We are running out of money fast, after everything is finished, we'll be broke. But.....everything is paid for, house and all.

We have the '32 Chevy up for sale, that money will go into savings for a rainy day. I told Bruce that was going to be my money for uses to myself. Rosey...you can understand where I'm going here, as Steve has spent lots of money on his hunting trips, guns, cabins, etc. Same here! I have never spent money on toys like Bruce has over the year, the guided tours he's taken is baffling. That's why I claim the money when we sell the car. I told Bruce that I would be taking some trips on that money, would love to go to the Holy Land. He said it would be all mine.

I'm so excited about something, yesterday at our family reunion a gal invited me to go with her to the YMCA. We can use our Silver Slipper cards and go for FREE! We can swim, use the gym, walking track, exercise classes, yoga, etc. The YMCA is only two blocks away from our home, I can walk over.
On that happy note, the floor guys are here...gotta go.

OKAY DONNA...just for you I went over my post when I finished typing. See, I separated my paragraphs just for you. Sometimes I can be a considerate old bitty.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 08-19-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

A DF from NC is coming tomorrow for a week's visit. I have not seen her for over a year. Will be happy to have her here.

Saw eye doctor today. He said "filmy eye" is not a problem. (Not for him!!!). He also said my vision should get better.

Have a good week.

Lynn
Old 08-19-2013, 07:19 PM   #124  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Dear Considerate Old Biddy - Thank you!! There are just a couple of folks that make it hard to read their posts.

Got my hairs trimmed today and got my tootsies painted; they are truly exquisite! Simple pleasures.... because I can't bend my hip and do my own anymore!

Nothing to report. It was a lovely and mellow day, very relaxing. I think I'll continue the mood with some expert gorking!
Old 08-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #125  

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone! Finally got here. The grandchildren (6 & 4) are here right now. They were to leave tonight but we knew their parents would get in late and offered to have them another night. We really enjoy them. They say the cutest things at this age! The are good kids, rarely give us any problem although you sometimes have to use a little reverse psychology with the 4 year old, but she comes around pretty quickly. Every now and then she takes over my office to act out her princess/mermaid movies and tells me she wants to be alone. She is pretty blunt but she says it in a sweet little girl voice, not meanly. She just gets to the point and I kinda like that in a person. This time dh has missed a lot as he's had three appts. Yesterday was a very difficult day for him. He took the kids swimming and enjoyed that but he lost his eye med...very important for healing after the surgery. Since he had just got it filled we were sure the ins wouldn't cover it again, but they did! So we were really happy but then as soon as he got it, he lost it again!! I don't know what was wrong with him, too many things on his mind I guess, poor guy. Anyway, so then he had to go today and get another bottle and it cost us $150! That may not be much compared to what some people pay but we never pay that much! I told him to hold onto it like it's gold! This is not like him at all, he is not a careless person and is usually very organized. He finally had his hearing eval with the VA doctor this morning. He said they checked him very thoroughly and agreed he needs hearing aides. But he has at least one more appt with ENT and then still must wait for approval. We've been working on this for more than a year! Then tonight he went with our son to buy a bike. It's supposedly a better one than he bought at Costco and our son got him a good deal. He called just now and said they went out to eat afterwards.

So it's mostly been me here with the kids and we've played lots of games and read lots of books. I'll be glad to be back to my own schedule when they go home but I do enjoy them while they are here.

Sorry nothing very interesting to talk about. Hope you are all having a good week. Bobbi, your gym setup is like ours, only ours is called a community center. We belong to Silver Sneakers although we rarely participate in the classes any more as we prefer the other track and weight room. We try to go to the circuit training class on Fridays but if we miss another day we usually do our regular stuff instead. That's nice your place is so close. We are only about a mile or two I guess so it's not bad but I'd never walk it as it's a pretty busy road and no sidewalk.

Karen3 - Enjoyed your post about the letters. I have a few from when dh was TDY and also when he traveled here and there with his civil service job. The last several years, he mostly called, but earlier letters were about the only means of communication we had. Times sure have changed. Wow, 55 years is a long time...we will have 51 years next month. Time has flown so fast sometimes I feel like I went to sleep and woke up retired, old and married this long. I wonder where the years went!

Sorry I can't do more personals as I need to get the kids to bed.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:23 AM   #126  
Sassy

S/C/G: 220/188/150

Height: 5'2"

Karen3 -- I loved your story about the love letters. My parents were married about 65 years before we lost my father about 10 years ago -- then lost my mother about 4 years ago. They had a really great marriage and I am envious of that -- something I'll never have (I'm a two time loser.) My daughter has been married about 24 years and her goal was to have as good and long a marriage as her grandparents. After my 2nd divorce (about 25 years ago), I figured that was it -- either I wasn't good at marriage, or wasn't good at picking husbands (was pretty sure it was the latter) but, either way, I wasn't chancing it again. My first husband (my girls' father) passed away when he was in his early 40's and I am on friendly terms with the 2nd. After our divorce, he remarried and had two daughters -- he is still married and, when they wanted to come back to Arizona, they all stayed with me for about a month and his teenage daughters stayed with me for another 6 months or so, while they were in high school. both girls are in college now and doing very well. I am still close to them and to his wife, also.

Thanks for the positive comments about my photo. It was taken about a year and a half ago (when I was 63 and weighed a little more than now). I liked my hair in the pic, but it is shorter again now -- probably looks better shorter. I'm not sure what color it would really be, if I went au naturel -- I was a natural blond -- towhead as a child -- but started highlighting it when it started darkening, then started coloring in the roots when they started lightening.

I saw the oncologist today and he had the reports from my CT scan and PET scan and everything was good -- no sign of cancer anywhere -- life is truly good!
Old 08-20-2013, 12:26 AM   #127  
Sassy

S/C/G: 220/188/150

Height: 5'2"

Addendum -- I mentioned that I lost my mother about 4 years ago -- was lucky to have both my parents until they were well into their 90's, but wanted to add that, even though it has been 4+ years, I kept starting to pick up my phone to call my mother over the past week or so. I haven't felt so inclined for a while, now, but with the new house and move, I have more things that I think I should share.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #128  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning, I'm flying by like K3.
Mary...I meant Silver Sneakers, for some reason I always think Silver Slippers, Guess I live in fairy land. I stopped at the YMCA yesterday to pick up their schedules and forms for both of us to fill out. He said we have full privileges to anything, just like paid members. Great benefit for us old fogies.

My new oak hardwood floor was installed yesterday, oh how beautiful it is. Bruce is putting the 1/4 rounds back on today and then I'll be able to put everything back where it belongs.

My folks made it to 65 years, funny I was just thinking of them yesterday. Our mom never yelled at us in our whole lives, I had two brothers and two sisters. She was a gentle soul, I never heard her argue with dad either. But she would give him the silent treatment for a couple of weeks when she was upset with him. Geeeeeez, can you imagine not talking to your spouse for 2 weeks?

Any of you do that? I explode when I get mad, no violence but I can get a potty mouth. I can get mad, tell him what I think then forget what we were fighting over in 10 minutes.

Lynn...DH has floating eyes, sometimes he says it looks like a snow storm. Have fun with your visiting friend, I'm sure you'll show her a good time.

No more time for personals, I need to help get my upstairs domain organized.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #129  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

I went to JC today. Stayed the same.
I really think that the problem this week is constipation.
I use Miralax, raisin bran, Activia, and prunes. Still no success.
Anyone have any good home remedies?

Lynn
Old 08-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #130  

Lynn....Try heating the prune juice
Old 08-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #131  
Donna

Lynn - surefire (for me!) is a small sack of sugar free candies... eat the entire sack of candies, and just wait.............!!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #132  

OMG Donna I read that as a sack of candles and my first thought "yup wax will work"...I know me bad k3
Old 08-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #133  
Donna

hahaha, KarenFL!
Old 08-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #134  

Yup sugar free candies work,theres an ingreediant in them that is a laxative,i learned the hard way oops i should say the very loosey goosey way ttfn rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 08-20-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #135  
Donna

Lynn - if you go the sugar free candy route (I like the pecan turtles!), don't do it right before bed. You WILL wake up in the middle of the night with horrible cramping and, as Rosey says, the loosey goosies. It takes just a couple of hours to work.

Last edited by jess1; 08-20-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Closed Thread