Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #121  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Cajun - That is so sad! What a tragedy, all around. I'm glad the driver won't have to go through the ordeal of court appearances and lawyers, given the circumstances. I'm sure he does feel terrible! Wow, you just never know, do you?
Old 07-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #122  

Height: 5'3"

Took dh to his post-op appt this morning and he is doing really well. His eye pressure was only 11 and doc said that's a gift..his words...this soon after surgery. Also his vision has cleared up (blurry at first) and he was able to see as well as before the surgery! Actually dh thinks he sees better. Supposedly he should continue to lose vision for 2 or 3 years before the benefits of the surgery kick in and he stops losing vision, but who knows...with God and prayer all things are possible. Anyway we are glad it is overwith and the doc said he can go ahead and do whatever he wants as long as he doesn't bend over, lift anything over 10 lbs or strain. I told him the nurses said bed/chair rest until Monday, but doc said no it's ok because he is doing well.

So we were both happy to hear that as it is hard for him to remember to be still. As you all know he is a very active guy. I'm still doing the watering though as I don't want him lifting the can or dragging the hose around.

Our grandson (13) will be over sometime today. He's riding bikes with his uncle right now and I'm sure he's having fun hanging out with him as he's never really gotten to know him til now.

So far I'm back on the good eating track today. Better as I'm up another 2#!!
I can gain SO fast! Cajun, I will watch out for the rolling pin!

Gotta run as much to do...
Old 07-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Hi all....I'm back...well actually I didn't go anywhere just needed time to pull up my big girl britches and get going. With our company this past weekend I really realized how limited I am and how much I have lost the past 2 years. I told DH I would only say it once and was really depressed. I got a hug and he said he told our friends I have been thru h*ll.....I thought he hadn't noticed. Well Life is what it is and I will enjoy what I can and pssst to the rest.

Cajun....I had sent so many prayers for the boys. After working the ER and watching ATV accidents cases grrrrrr just hate them. Especially the 3 wheelers. Had to get a 10yr out of a back seat and felt him dying in my arms, watched a young father die with a ruptured aorta and we couldn't save him even in the ER. I used to love snowmobiling and son and grandson had dirt bikes but no ATVs...nope.... Tell your son that being there to help their spirits rest was a gift their family will always be thankful for. Sometime that's the best we can do as care givers .

OBTW....the posse/tough girls are so busy nagging you Mary get a free pass.

OMG I had to get new glasses this week. Bifocals 2 pair and I won't tell you how much, but been sing happy birthday to me and merry Christmas, too.

Karen...Is your pool staying warm enough? We need sun down here. Think it has rained every day for 6 weeks.

Donna...I can't believe how many showings you had on sister's house. I did PR for a friend a few years ago it is was involved. Canceled her credit card immediately and she is still getting new cards. When it gets tough yell at her....honestly it helps.

Bobbi...will you be all snug by the time winter arrives?

Rosey.....enjoy weekend with GS! Pictures will be expected!

Mary....You'll have get that pocket hose they sell on tv. DH got one for his birthday but hasn't used it. DD loves her, but says after shutting the water off it is kinda creepy all it oozes back into shape.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #124  

Hi everyone. In the 40+ yrs we have lived in alaska i have only heard thunder 2x and then just a little rumble. but last night we had a crash boomer and it poured rain so hard it sounded like BB's hitting the roof. i sat in the doorway and watched the show. it was spectacular,lightening flashes and big booming thunder. went on for several hours. i love these kind of storms and missed the ones we had in minnesota when i was akid and danced in the rain.. nope im not nuts and i stayed nice and dry in the doorway but i surely enjoyed it. not much going on. a quiet day. hope your evening is spectacular rosey
Old 07-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #125  
Sassy

S/C/G: 220/188/150

Height: 5'2"

Okay, here I go with a brief history so that you all can get to know me. My name is actually Lynn, but Sassafrass is fine -- you already have a Lynn in the group. I live in AZ (born and raised here -- but, it's a dry heat). I am divorced and have been single for about 25 years -- two daughters and 3 grandsons -- youngest grandson just graduated from High School, so all are pretty much grown.

I retired from the Social Security Administration at the close of 2010 and had both knees replaced a few months later and the new knees are great. My father, both brothers and only sister all had both knees replaced, so felt it was probably more "when" than "if". I had an issue with cancer early this year -- a rare tumor type on my palate. They had to cut a hole thru my palate to remove it and have a prosthesis (obturator) to cover the hole and make swallowing and speech work well. It is kind of like wearing a retainer and, on the one hand, I hate it, on the other, it isn't really that bad. My speech sounds the same -- I am extremely lucky that I didn't have to have radiation or any further treatment and the prognosis is excellent. It is a little bit of a mixed blessing, as far as diet. Eating is less enjoyable and feel the need to remove the obturator and clean it and my mouth after eating, so not worth it to just grab a small morsel and put it in my mouth.

Sounds like a lot of health issues, but my overall health has always been great. I have never been on any medications, other than short term antibiotics of pain meds -- BP and Blood Sugar have never been a problem. I was athletic and fit until about 15 years ago (about age 50), but worked long hours with a long commute and just went to work and ate for my recreational activity. I kind of like cooking and took some cooking classes after retiring, but decided that food wasn't a good hobby to develop if I wanted to become trim and fit (and I do).

My youngest daughter was blindsided by a divorce request on her 25th birthday 3 weeks after giving birth to her son, so they moved in with me as a temporary solution. 8 years later, we were still together, so bought our current house jointly, as we needed more space. We have been here for almost 10 years and her son is the one who just graduated from HS and felt ready to go our separate ways. She just closed on a mortgage in her name only on our home and I am supposed to close on a new home in a retirement community on August 6th. (I should be packing right now instead of writing.) I am excited about the move -- the development is pretty posh (hoping not to feel out of my league) and there are lots of activities, a great fitness room, 3 swimming pools, water aerobics, yoga, etc. Most of my friends live kind of far from me and are married, so I am hoping I make new friends in the community who will be near and that I make full use of the facilities with lots of exercise. There is a golf course, but I doubt that I will use that. I quit playing 15 years ago, when I outgrew my golf clothes. I will move my golf clubs with me, though -- never know what the future may hold.

My parents were both healthy and active until their mid nineties, when they passed away, so I should have some good years left.

That is the (somewhat) brief story.

Lynn (Sassafrass)
Old 07-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #126  

Welcome Sassy...hmmm that fits better and way easier to spell, This just a long on going coffee club and as Karen said pull up a chair, pour a cuppa and lean back. There are few problems one of hasn't got answer for cause we've all been there or done that. Plus we have taken to nagging (like that's a new hobby...not) and we can get up a posse if some one doesn't do right by you. Oh and must have a sense of humor because it's easier to laugh at ourselves then cry or get mad. k3
Old 07-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #127  
Sassy

S/C/G: 220/188/150

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for the welcome, Karen. I like the name "Sassy", so thanks for that, too. I'm good at laughing, especially at myself, but sometimes think my humor doesn't work as well in print -- I think I'm being funny, but the humor wasn't obvious enough -- guess I need to try harder. I have been packing for the past few hours, but my back is tired, so sitting with my laptop for a few minutes -- need to get back to work.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #128  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Back here for a quick check in--- Glad to hear from you "Sassy" I like that name too.... We all try to help and jump in anytime we can. And not just weght related either... It is like having a bunch of ladies sitting around the table at Happy Hour!! Don't you like that image???

Karen, my pool had been staying pretty nice--- but then we got a couple cooler days-- temp went down to 76...Tonight we are back up to 83 so that is more like it. I'll probably get out there tomorrow and do the vacuuming in it and enjoy the water at the same time. I would tonight but just feel kind of pooped!

I have had a gentle(if there is such a thing) gnawing headache for almost 2 weeks now. Drinking lots of water and nothing really seems to make it go away. I tend to think I may have something out in my neck so will be seeing what the Dr. says. I see her again on the 14th. Not real bad just enough to make me cranky!!

Spent $166 again at the Vet yesterday for Ginger. They did Xrays and did indeed find that her trachea is really narrowing towards the back. So she is now on 3 different meds and hopefully this will help her be able to breathe. I guess it is kind of equivalent to a human with COPD. She will more than likely be on at least one med. forever now. But tonight she seems to be feeling better and has a little sparkle in her eyes again. Boy, what we don't do for our furbabies!!

Well, need to get going. still need to clean the kitchen up. Take care everyone and have a Great SundaY!!!
Old 07-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #129  
Donna

Quick Hola, Goldens!

Sassy - welcome! Already I think you'll fit right in, so stick around. We're SO worth it! Even if you think you don't have much to say (witness THIS post!), at least say hello!

Got the waterbed drained at my sister's house today. The inspection is Monday (very NERVOUS about that!), and I'm trying to get rid of furniture and stuff like that. That's probably been the biggest nosebleed of any of this whole estate-settling process!

SamCat is behaving very badly, and his time on this earth is becoming shorter and shorter, if he doesn't knock it off! It's a good thing I love him so much, else he'd have been stir fry long before now!

Nothing to report. Cajun's friend's son is much in my thoughts. I hope all of you are doing well! Tomorrow is KarenFL's b'day, BTW.

Later, lovelies!

Last edited by jess1; 07-27-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:41 PM   #130  

Shhhhh Donna big mouth! I celebrate my birthday at time of birth which is 12:13 am. So by the time you read this I'm done with my birthday and will be celebrating DH's birthday. k3
Old 07-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #131  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Happy Birthday K3 ~ have a wonderful day
Old 07-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #132  
Donna

Happy Birthday from Big Mouth!!

Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday, Missy KarenFL..... and DH!
Happy Birthday to you!!

I hope everyone has a fine, fine day.... it rained so much yesterday evening and some in the night.... LOVELY!! Later, Goldens!

Last edited by jess1; 07-28-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #133  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Happy Birthday Karen and to your DH too!!! Have a great day!!
Old 07-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #134  

Happy Birthday Karen rosey
Old 07-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #135  

Thank you
Closed Thread