We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark? 60 mark? 70 mark? Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!
Old 02-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Thanks Bobbi!

Quiet day down here. Spent time shopping for new kindle books for DH. Gotta love Amazon it would tell me if I had gotten a book before and even gave the exact date. Cool day with possible frost tomorrow night. No wonder people are getting sick.

After bragging about staying OP for 2 months, we deliberately cheated tonight. Have you seen the tv ads for Arby's reuben sandwiches? OMG I was drooling! So bought one for each of us. It was so bland and tasteless and heavy. Sitting here with a hugh lump in the gut and too full. I have always said when you cheat....CHEAT! but boy am I paying. Calorie wise if I have my yogert tonight I'll only be at 1300 cals, but amd not checking anything else. I foresee a gallon of water tomorrow in my future.

Rosey...you are gonna look like Gidget in that suit and Mr Twinkle eye will start to leer!

Mary...Your diabetic book sound really interesting. I'll check it out. DH's BS while South Beaching with me have been fabulous.

Donna...Did you get much snow? Saw where kids had to sleep at school about 40 miles East of Denver. Closed the hwy.

Back to my Kindle....k3
Old 03-01-2013, 06:55 AM   #3  
MaryGee

Woke up wicked early this morning due to pain in my leg - its been acting up lately - deep pain that makes it extra difficult to walk - hobbled down the hallway and took some Ibuprofen on top of the other pain medication to see if that will settle things down. Sometimes feels like I'm going to fall. I don't know if it's just a flare-up of the neuropathy or something new. Sometimes I feel so old - but what are the options? Just have to bear it for now, and if it doesn't go away will follow-up with the doctor. I already have a bunch of tests scheduled for the next few months as I have a new PCP and he has ordered a mamogram, and echo-cardiogram, a bone density test and a consult with dietician. This leg pain may require a nerve-conduction study. I remember my husband had leg pain and they had to do a procedure where they put a baloon in his leg and inflated it to open his vein for better blood flow due to build-up a plaque. Forget what the procedure was called, but it didn't seem to bother him too much. Aaaahhhhh, the joys of being a senior citizen! Two years ago I felt great - no problems other than the weight issues, then one day my leg started to bother me and its been one thing after another. Geeezzzzz! But even though I some days I feel really miserable physically, I always have a great mental outlook and seldom feel down and gloomy. After all, I've got a lot of good things going on - 1. I have a beautiful healthy and happy daughter and grandaughter; 2. I don't have to go to work anymore (); 3. Even though I have physical problems I'm not home-bound and can still get out and about; and 4. I don't have a cloud of doom and gloom hovering over me (). So all in all, life is GOOD!

Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 03-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #4  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

You're welcome K3.

MaryGee...I couldn't have said it better, life is good! At our age it's always one things after the other with our health. We're on the top side of the soil.

We have a funeral this morning, a policeman who worked under my FIL. He was in the same nursing home as my MIL. Funny thing I remembered about him was how tight he was. He'd buy a pint of ice cream and take it into a restaurant to eat it while all the other cops would order from the menu.
My menu from yesterday, DH got his wish for cream of wheat for supper. I was heavy on the carbs, light on the calories.

Quote:
Breakfast:
Fiber One, Flax & Chia seeds
Applesauce with cinnamon/Splenda
Yogurt
Vitamins

Lunch:

Sweet Soup Cabbage & Apple soup

Supper:
10 grain hot cereal with cinnamon, raisins and sf/maple syrup
2 slices low calorie toast with smuckers sugar free strawberry jam.

Evening snack:
Lemon Pudding w/cool whip

Bedtime snack: 100 calories worth of sunflower seeds

Fat 16% (should be 20-35% range)
Carbs 72% (should be 45-60% range)
Protein 13 % (should be 10-35% range)
Calories 840
Fiber 37 grams
Old 03-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Good morning Goldie's
It's Friday and I'm getting things ready for the camp this afternoon. We are going to pack up and close the camp until October. We should be home tomorrow night. We decided not to stay the whole weekend. It's going to feel strange.
Today is weight in day. I'm down 2 lbs. I'm at the weight before the holidays started. I'm hoping to keep going toward my goal. It was nice to move my ticker this morning.
Youngest son is in Texas for 2 weeks on a job. Oldest son is waiting on equipment to really start doing his job. He's just sitting in the shop doing nothing making his hours. He would rather be working he said.
It's cold and beautiful here. I'm sick of the rain we've been getting. I think we will have a week with no rain.
Dh is going to the bank this morning for ds. He's ready to get his house. We're hoping he has enough credit to qualify. He has good credit just maybe not enough. We may have to co sign for him.

Marygee~ I love your attitude about life and pain. There is so much to be thankful for.

I need to get packing. Hello to all.

Hugs
Cajun
Old 03-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #6  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Happy March everyone

MaryGee ~ the "wicked" in your sentence, took me back to my Maine days. Sorry for your health issues. Love your positive attitude.

Bobbi ~ I like your saying ~ we're on the top side of the soil. I saw a man at my hospital one day wearing a T-shirt that said ~ every day above the ground is a good day.

There is a lot to be thankful for despite the other stuff in our lives.

Day off today ~ sunshine kind of chilly out ~ but that is ok. Better than that blistering heat.

Maybe you all could cross your fingers (and what ever else you could cross for me). The boss is gathering information to support our unit's need for more secretarial hours. Like all the times I have stayed over to do the admissions. Hopefully the people who can make these changes will see their way clear to help us. She is not sure exactly how it would work out, but one of the ideas she has is for my hours to be 8a-4p and then someone part time maybe 4p-8p. That would be wonderful for me. I am thinking I would get off early enough and be able to walk every day. And because someone would be coming to relieve me ~ they can pick up where I leave off and there wouldn't be this frustrating frequent getting off late. I could be consistent with my walking and maybe the eating thing would fall into place better too.

You'll have to forgive me for not getting much of the personals done this morning. It is almost time for Miss Maddie to arrive ~ gotta be on my toes hopefully I will get a chance to do it later.

Take care
Old 03-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #7  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...

I don’t have much time, because I need to get ready for work. Glad it’s Friday!

Rosey – I’m so proud of you, doing the swimming thing! I’ll bet ol’ Stevie does have a twinkle and a leer in his eyes!

Bobbi – I laughed, because I’ve thought the exact same thing about Maks! And I did worry mightily about him lifting Kirstie (don’t worry; we’re close personal friends!), even though she’s a size 4!

KarenFL – those fancy sandwiches from the fast-food places all taste like they’re cooked in, what?, lard? They’re so heavy, and I think the meat isn’t very good quality! Sorry reality didn’t meet anticipation!

We got about 9” of snow at my house, but I know the folks to the east got a lot more. I saw that news item about the kids being snowed in at the school; they must have had huge drifts or something. I don’t remember where it was. Scary for the kidlets, though!

MaryGee – loved the “wicked”… I watched the new reality show “Boston’s Finest” and, of course, they say “wicked” a lot! Oh, I can so sympathize (and empathize) with your leg problems. Mine is the right hip, and it’s nasty sometimes. The worst is when you step down and it feels like it’s just going to go out. I’m trying to ignore that feeling, because it obviously isn’t going to collapse… but wowsers, it gets your attention! You seem to have a good attitude about all of this fun stuff!

Cajun – you’re doing well! I hope things go smoothly for your DS at the bank. What happened with him building or settling on the property near you? Did he find something in town that he liked better?

Gayle – oh, good luck with your idiot administrators (said with love and due respect, of course)! It would be such a boon to you to have some help! Good thoughts, good thoughts! How is DD doing? Is she going through with the divorce and is he being cooperative?

Better get my b’fast eaten and my lunch packed. Today is a long day, but then I’ll have my 3 days off. The new schedule starts today. I’m going to try very hard to restrain myself from whining about the desire to retire! Ain’t gonna happen, so I’ll try to keep my mouth shut, for your sakes!!

Be well, all!

Last edited by jess1; 03-01-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #8  
MaryGee

Gayle: Hope your boss is successful in getting additional secretarial support -- I talked to my daughter this morning - she's a medical assistant in a doctor's office and they have the same problems. I also had similar problems in the insurance company I used to work for. There was a hiring freeze so when people left they weren't replaced and we were supposed to absorb the extra work. And overtime was curtailed except for occasional times. And all the computerization going on in offices these days really adds extra work to everyone too because it really takes extra time to process information into the computer. Workers are carrying extra work loads, but have to put up with it because it's not like the old days when switching jobs was not a big deal. So much stress at work for everyone these days. My last day at work I was in tears all day not only due to pain -- most of it was the stress. Used to be if you needed to stay late to catch up, it was no problem. The supervisors are struggling with it too because they have to get the okay to give their staff the okay.........

I think it would be great if all the computers crashed and things went back to the good old days at work -- no voice mails, no automated calling systems, no computers. Give me a person to talk to on the phone and an old word processor. And a package of index cards to keep my file information on!! And get rid of cell phones too! I don't need to call my SO from the supermarket to see if he wanted American Cheese or Swiss Cheese this week, or do we need toilet paper? Hey, make a list!

Just give me my internet so I can post on 3FC!!
Old 03-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Hi Golden Girls-

At hospital with dm. She is getting transfusion in addition to hydration. She's getting 2 bags - 6 hours. Mentally she had been sharper than she had for years. Until yesterday. I knew she needed transfusion-,her counts were so low and she's weak. But she had been refusing her Aricept - I just found out - and so she has been weak, wobbly & wacky. She's going to go into nursing care for a little while- I hope it's just a little while. I was so upset earlier. I couldnt stop crying. The nurses & aids were sweet. I had found someone to come in at night but her mental delusions and weakness require 24 hr care. Sunday dh and I head down to Houston for his testing. From 8 am til 6:30. So it will be best for her to be in nursing care. My DS - seems to have forgotten me. My friend told dh that he needed to set him straight. My dh is not good about confronting people - he argues with me but otherwise he just ignores people to death and lives without them. Well, I was having a nervous break down so after my girl friend gave him a little prod, he made an attempt. Told son he changed and was treating us like crap. DS denied it. So Son did call later to serif we wanted to have dinner. He just doesn't get it. So I guess we're just supposed to act like nothing happened. I'm so hurt now that it will be difficult.

I'm sorry about your "wicked" pain Mary Gee. That is Boston! Or at least Massachusetts, new Hampshire. My dh is from Boston area and all his relatives say it - half of them have places in new Hampshire. I love it. Some of my favorite people!
Enjoyed reading posts. I'll get back when I can. Miss you girls. Hugs to you all!
Old 03-01-2013, 11:49 PM   #10  

Hi everyone. i spent a quiet kind of day,reading Into the wilderness,cant seem to put it down. made cabbage rolls for dinner and did some laundry. exciting huh we had a real nice time last nite at my grdd'd b-day. steve and i shared a combo plate, we got egg drop soup,egg rolls and wontons,rice, sweet and sour chix and pork chowmein. i had 1/2 egg roll,some of the chix and chow mein. steve ate all he could and we still had some left over to take home. deelee hope your mom is feeling better my mil has been having troubles too, we are thinking of moving her to a more skilled facility (nursing home) where she can get the care she needs now. its sad as she would be mortified at her condition, probably a good thing her mental state is what it is. steve just left to visit her, shes 2 miles from us in assisted living. we are on gramma duty till tuesday as his brother is in fairbanks for the state wrestling tourney(his grandson is wrestling this yr) we take turns with her care. my youngest grdd amanda in in wash for the regional hoop shoot contest. shes alaska's champ. so proud of her. well here im rattling along so will say ttfn and for all rosey

breakfast
coffee
kellogs flat bread br sand

lunch
iced tea and an apple with pbutter

snack
coffee mocha
pretzels

dinner
stuffed cabbage rolls

Last edited by akrosey49; 03-01-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #11  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Happy week-end everyone.
I scanned some recipes sent to me today but too lazy to post them. One was for low calorie coconut muffins, I don't do muffins. Why? Because I have no control over them. When all the low calorie or fat free ingredients are put in them, they still have lots of calories. I can leave sweets alone but not breads. My mom never purchased store bought bread until she was in her 80's. Growing up on homemade bread kind of set the standard for bread. I have a bread machine but don't use it too often because I'd eat the whole loaf.

Cajun...congrats on the 2 pound loss.

Glynne...my fingers are crossed for you, will cross my legs too!

Rosey...yum cabbage rolls. We haven't had them for quite awhile, do you use game meat in them?

Donna...Oh stop, Kristie is not a size 4. If she's a 4, then I'm a triple 0. She looks small from her waist and up, below she's still packing on the pounds. I love her no matter what she weighs but I think she might be a 4 in her mind only?

Now I have to google it and see for myself.

Dee...my mom was on Aricept too but she got to the point where it wasn't doing any good. We were lucky that she knew us up until about 2 weeks before she died.

MaryGee...I'd like to go back to the good old days when we didn't have to lock up the house at night, worry about our grandkids getting kidnapped by some pervert, and all our groceries were from the United States. I don't buy products from China, they don't have high food standards like U.S.A.
Quote:
I think it would be great if all the computers crashed and things went back to the good old days at work -- no voice mails, no automated calling systems, no computers.
Hi K3...Reubens are our favorite sandwiches. I just saw the ad for them at Arby's last night. I'm happy for your review, we will make our own.

Hi to anyone I missed, here's my menu from yesterday.
Quote:
Breakfast:
Fiber One, Flax & Chia seeds
Applesauce with cinnamon/Splenda
Yogurt
Vitamins

Lunch:

Sweet Soup Cabbage & Apple soup
Banana & Pineapple skinny shake

Supper:
Flat Out rolled around tuna salad & romaine lettuce
pork & beans

Evening snack:
Popcorn popped with peanut oil, large bowl (309 calories worth)

Bedtime snack:
Couldn't sleep at 2am so ate a bowl of cheerios with 1/4 cup skim milk. Works every time, promply went back to sleep.

Fat 13% (should be 20-35% range)
Carbs 16% (should be 45-60% range)
Protein 18 % (should be 10-35% range)
Calories 1,208
Fiber 55 grams

Last edited by Bobbolink; 03-02-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #12  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...

Bobbi - SHE said it, not me . And Lynn said it must be a Chico's 4! Anyway, she is a close personal friend, and I think she's a pip! Here's a link, as a segue:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1697831.html

Rosey - sounds like you're staying busy! Are all 4 of your kidlets living in Alaska?

Dee - good thoughts, good thoughts. If you ever need to scream and vent your frustration with your elderly parents, feel free to PM me. I know from whence you speak, and I'll even delete it before reading it, if you'd like! It's so hard!

MaryGee - can you just imagine how the world would stop if the computers went down? People can't add; people can't spell; people can't carry on a verbal conversation... the world would spin on its axis and topple off the edge! Wowsers!

I plan on doing just a wee bit of stuff today, change the sheets, that sort of thing... laundry, putting together the menu for next week, etc.. It looks pretty outside, too!

Everyone, have a good Saturday! Later, lovelies!!

Last edited by jess1; 03-02-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #13  

Hey you all what do you mean by sending a cold front down here. Tomorrow night is supposed to be 22! Gesh.....

I am mean witchy old lady with a streak of meanness that runs deep. My bridge partner is fun to be with, but, man, she is cheap. Last winter I frequently stopped and bought cappuccinos for the 2 of us to drink on drive to the game. Last week she stopped and got a breakfast for herself to eat while driving. Yesterday I wanted a cappuccino so bad, but just didn't want to drink it in front of her. So when she gets in my car she starting eating a ww bar and then cheese stix....hmmm, yeah I was kinda drooling and ticked off. So Monday I am making a big hot cappuccino in my travel mug. Hopefully the aroma will infuse the odor of the gods into the car and suck down that sucker all the way to bridge.

See Gayle what planning revenge does.....am have a giggle fit and already less angery.

Donna...I thought the word kristie was forbidden???????? snicker!

Rosey...I love to swim....but anymore the climb out of the pool it seems like I feel my self getting older and heavier each step up. Another month until I can jump in.

Dee...wow DH tried. An attemp is worth a hug. Nothing will happen while DS is in lust. Boy did I clean up 2 or 3 more ways of putting that...Plan revengence and smile sweetly. We love you and if you need us just vent away....we also listen good.

OMG..I finshed the taster cappuccino and I want more....that much caffine and I'll be awake 2 weeks....best wasted 20 cal this week.

House smells lovely. I have a meatloaf for DH in the oven and pot roast in the crockpot for me. Dash is beside himself. k3
Old 03-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #14  

Rosey...I have loved so many of the books you have told us about, so I immediately looked up Into the Wilderness....hey girl we all read that series about 2 years ago after you recommended it. I was so excited thinking another new great read.....k3
Old 03-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #15  

Ha Karen 3 i reread all my favorite books some ive read 3 or 4 times and enjoy them as much as the 1st time. i also keep all my favorites, i have shelves of books. my 16 yr old grandson loves to read too,and while visiting last summer asked if he could organize my books and when he was done he said " grmma when your dead can i have your books? " bahaha he cracked me up but of course i said yes. went to wallmart to get a baby shower gift,and toddled around awhile. Bobbie i do use moose burger, rice and garlic andlipton onion soup mix, roll up in the cabbage leaves and frost it with a can of cr mushroom soup,add 1/2 can of water cover with foil and bake 45 min then take the foil off and bake another 1/2 hr. yummy,i didnt have any leftovers. im needing a napas i was up at 6 am. hope your weekend swell. rosey

breakfast
coffee
cinnamon rice cake with a smear of p butter

lunch
slice of pizza
watermelon

snack
coffee mocha

dinner
chix stew
iced tea
carmel apple sucker

Last edited by akrosey49; 03-02-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Closed Thread