Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

2pm...no word yet....k3

3:39pm...SIL just called she is finally out of surgery (6hrs) and in recovery. He has not seen her yet, but Dr says it went well,,,Thank you all again. k3

Last edited by Karen3; 03-05-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Thanks for posting Karen-- Just got home from the pot luck lunch and made a bee line to the computer to check. Glad the surgery went well.. Praise the Lord!
Old 03-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #48  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Amen!
Old 03-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #49  

Thats very good news for a releaved mom K3
Old 03-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Karenfl~ so happy the surgery went well. Now for a speedy recovery.

Hugs
Cajun
Old 03-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #51  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

KarenFL - thanks for letting us know.... good thoughts continue!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #52  
MaryGee

KarenFL -- Great news!!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #53  

Hi everyone,i am enjoying having my grandson here. he leaves for basic training the 2nd of april. and im cooking all his favorites his sister just got back from the regional hoop shoot contest in Portland where she placed 3rd. so proud of our amanda. not much else to report hope you all have a nice evening rosey

breakfast
coffee
kellogs breakfast sand

lunch
watermelon
1/2 meatloaf sand
iced tea

snack
coffee mocha
2 cookies cant bake and not sample snickerdoodles)

dinner
baked chix breast
1/2 c potatoe salad
small spoon of cottage cheese salad
Old 03-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #54  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning...looking at another house today so will only post my menu from yesterday.

KarenMo...guess what woke me up at 4:45am? Leg cramp in my right calf, it hurt so bad. Your article told me what to do about it, drink more water.

Quote:
Breakfast:
Fiber One, Flax & Chia seeds
Applesauce with cinnamon/Splenda
Yogurt
Pineapple & Orange skinny shake

Supper:
10 Grain hot cereal with sf maple syrup
1 slice low cal toast,
4 oz sausage patty made with 98% lean beef & spices

Evening snack:
Carob pudding with sf/ff cool whip and 1/4 serving dry Fiber One Chocolate cereal on top

Bedtime snack:
Sunflower Seeds

Fat 22 % (should be 20-35% range)
Carbs 55 % (should be 45-60% range)
Protein 19 % (should be 10-35% range)
Calories 944
Fiber 32 grams

Last edited by Bobbolink; 03-06-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Hi Golden Girls -

Well, there has been some progress in my life. I don't want to jinx myself though. During the second bag of my mother's transfusion, around 5p.m., on Friday, I noticed that she was looking and sounding better. DH came back and noticed it too. I had canceled the caregiver - I thought. Then got a call from another caregiver who was going to do the weekends. I realized it was Friday when I was talking to her and she was calling to tell me she was going to be late. I said it was fine - meet us at 7p.m. at DP's place. She had worked for my good friend and I knew she would be good. Got DM home around 6 p.m. The woman came. She is a CNA. I fell in love with her. So I didn't have to put my mom in nursing care yet which made me feel much better.

Also DH and I had a good talk with DS and I think we're on a better track. I told him if he didn't love, respect and value us, she wasn't going to. We are having dinner together Thursday evening (is that tomorrow already?) DH has 4 tickets for the hockey game on Sunday. I suggested we invite them. They accepted. Tonight DH has 2 tickets for game and I have fun when I go but I have to get back on my diet plan 100% today. I'm like an alcoholic going through detox. I can't be surrounded by all the forbidden food and drinks for a while. So I texted DS to see if he wanted to go with his dad. He was given permission to do so. (hehehe!)

So Sunday we went down to Houston (M.D. Anderson Cancer Center) for Steve's tests on Monday. Was a very long day. We won't get result until next week when we go back down and he sees his doctor.

I managed to talk to nurse supervisor at my parents assisted living while I was waiting. We pay $500 a month extra for each of them to be given their meds. Well DM has trouble swallowing some of her meds and the CNAs aren't allowed to crush them for her. got that all straightened out.

Got home yesterday despite the snow. I'm always so tired after traveling.

Karen fl. I laughed out loud when I read about the revenge. I do have a little secret plan She really is a control freak and wants everything her way. If she doesn't start being nice to me and including me in things, DH will put it in action But I am going to be sweetness and light So glad your DD's surgery went well. It must be hard for you.

Welcome to Shar and Deedee!

I might be back later to discuss dieting - ha! This was my therapy session. I don't know what I would do without all of you. Hugs to everyone.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #56  

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone! It's busy a busy week so far....Sunday night dh started having chest pain (mild) and high bp and was feeling a little dizzy but wouldn't go to the ER. When he got up Mon he was ok, but after breakfast chest pain started again and his bp was up, and he was a little dizzy again so we went to ER. He was feeling a bit of tingling in his left fingers and by the time we got to the hospital he had a vague feeling in his left arm too. They kept him overnight (I stayed too) but all his tests were ok. He once again aced the treadmill test (they said he did better than many 40 year olds!) and heart looked ok (it was a stress test echo or something like that, not just the treadmill kind). So we came home yesterday with a new prescription for Nitro. He had lost his previous one and never got replaced. He has a follow up visit with his doctor tomorrow. I have an appt to have my arm checked tomorrow and then will go back with dh so won't get much else done tomorrow.

We went to the gym this morning. Dh told me his bp was ok so I agreed to go but then on the way home he tells me it was actually high. Not terribly high but 10+ over the highest it should be. Well he did his usual work out...30 min walking, and 3 or 4 weight machines and he survived and it was fine when he got home so maybe it's ok. Maybe I am too cautious with him, I don't know.

Deelee - Glad you were able to bring your mother home. It must be very difficult...that is one thing I didn't have to go through. Both our parents have long been gone. Hope you can get things worked out with your ds. Sounds promising. I definitely understand about all tasty foods around and how hard it is to resist!

Bobbi - Hate those cramps! At times I have them terrible but like so many things with me, they come in cycles. I can usually tell when they are starting to come back. A few nights ago they began just a little...it was the night dh was having chest pain...the cramps were just little ones which normally I would not treat but I knew I wouldn't be able to help dh if I had a really bad one so I took it anyway and since then I haven't had any more. So hoping they stay away.

Rosey - Enjoy your time with your gs! My youngest ds's favorite cookie is Snickerdoodles so I alway make them when he is here. And I can't resist eating them when they are around too!

Cajun - I haven't seen the doc yet. I had to change my appt time due to dh's issues.

Jess - On the heart attack info, I question a few things.....this is the first I've ever heard that you should not lie down. I am not sure of the rationale behind that. I would think that lying down would be a good thing esp since you want blood flow (oxygen) to the heart and you need to relax...take your asa, if you have nitro take it and try to relax (not easy I know). And I've usually heard 4 baby asa or 1 adult asa, some people say 2 adult. Hard to know. Maybe some of you active nurses can advise further esp if you work in a cardiac unit? Another thing, if it is someone else and you are there....ask them if they have nitro...sometimes people panic if the pain or shortness of breath is bad and forget...find out where it is (or if you know they have a history of heart issues look for it) and give it (under the tongue). They can take another if needed after 10 min and of course call 911.

Last edited by maryea; 03-06-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

I received this in an email and I definetly thought that it was worth sharing!

For those of us on the plus side of 60, this is so true and accurate that it hurts, and will bring tears to your eyes. Everyone over 50 and younger even ought to read this.

THIS EMAIL WIll MAKE YOU STOP AND THINK.
READ SLOWLY!

AND THEN IT IS WINTER...

You know. . . Time has a way of moving quickly and catching you unaware of
the passing years. It seems just yesterday that I was young, just married
and embarking on my new life with my mate. Yet in a way, it seems like eons
ago, and I wonder where all the years went. I know that I lived them all. I
have glimpses of how it was back then and of all my hopes and dreams.

But, here it is... The winter of my life and it catches me by surprise...How
did I get here so fast? Where did the years go and where did my youth go? I
remember well seeing older people through the years and thinking that those
older people were years away from me and that winter was so far off that I
could not fathom it or imagine fully what it would be like.

But, here it is...my friends are retired and getting grey...they move slower
and I see an older person now. Some are in better and some worse shape than
me...but, I see the great change...Not like the ones that I remember who
were young and vibrant...but, like me, their age is beginning to show and we
are now those older folks that we used to see and never thought we'd be.
Each day now, I find that just getting a shower is a real target for the
day! And taking a nap is not a treat anymore... it's mandatory! Cause if I
don't on my own free will... I just fall asleep where I sit!

And so...now I enter into this new season of my life unprepared for all the
aches and pains and the loss of strength and ability to go and do things
that I wish I had done but never did!! But, at least I know, that though the
winter has come, and I'm not sure how long it will last...this I know, that
when it's over on this earth...its over. A new adventure will begin!

Yes, I have regrets. There are things I wish I hadn't done...things I should
have done, but indeed, there are many things I'm happy to have done. It's
all in a lifetime.

So, if you're not in your winter yet...let me remind you, that it will be
here faster than you think. So, what ever you would like to accomplish in
your life please do it quickly! Don't put things off too long!! Life goes by
quickly. So, do what you can today, as you can never be sure whether this is
your winter or not! You have no promise that you will see all the seasons of
your life...so, live for today and say all the things that you want your
loved ones to remember...and hope that they appreciate and love you for all
the things that you have done for them in all the years past!!

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those
who come after. Make it a fantastic one.
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN, YET THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE
SO ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

Your kids are becoming you......but your grandchildren are perfect!
Going out is good.. Coming home is better!
You forget names.... But it's OK because other people forgot they even knew you!!!
You realize you're never going to be really good at anything...Especially golf.
The things you used to care to do, you no longer care to do, but you really
do care that you don't care to do them anymore.
You sleep better on a lounge chair with theTV blaring than in bed. It's called "pre-sleep".
You miss the days when everything worked with just an "ON" and "OFF" switch
You tend to use more 4 letter words ... "what?"..."when?"... ???
Now that you can afford expensive jewelry, it's not safe to wear it anywhere.
You notice everything they sell in stores is "sleeveless"?!!!
What used to be freckles are now liver spots.
Everybody whispers.
You have 3 sizes of clothes in your closet.... 2 of which you will never wear.
But Old is good in some things: Old Songs, Old movies, and best of all, OLD FRIENDS!!
Stay well, "OLD FRIEND!" Send this on to other "Old Friends!" and let them laugh in AGREEMENT!!!
It's Not What You Gather, But What You Scatter That Tells What Kind Of Life You Have Lived.!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Well, I jinxed myself. My mother fell or fainted or something. DH on way to hockey game with DS. Talked to paramedics and mom. She sounded okay. Paramedics said she seemed okay. They would run a few more tests. He called back said her heart rate was 130 - 180. She had to go to hospital. I’m about 40 minutes away and not familiar that familiar with the whole big hospital system in that area. It’s in 2 different towns. I also don/t have great night vision. Of course my brother who is 15 minutes away was not answering his phone. My mom had an echo cardiogram and hydration yesterday. I said DH should drop son off at game and come back or bring son back to get his fiance and then meet me at the hospital. DH decided he would continue on to the hockey game and then go to the hospital after - 11 p.m. !(*^&*!)! I hung up on him. So I headed out and was planning where I wanted to move after the divorce. DS called and said DH dropped him off and he was going to call a friend to meet him at the hockey game and take the train home. Or stay with his friend. And dad was going to the hospital. So then DH called and told me. The old me wouldn’t have asked him to miss the game, or would have felt guilty. The new me said, “You made the right decision buster!!” I don’t know what is going on with my mother. She got IV fluids and an echo yesterday. My DB was with her (we were on our way home from Houston) and they usually check her blood then. Shouldn’t something have turned up then? Like low potassium level or something? I’ll keep you posted.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 230/170/125

Height: 5' 1"

Hi Goldie Gals!
Bobbi~ I'm coming to your house for supper! That crab salad sounded yummy! Wow on the cals in nuts....Since I have followed South Beach I eat them alot but don't count calories. Karen how is your dd?
Thank you again girls for welcoming me. I am so looking forward to getting to know everyone better,loosing weight and reaching goal with you all!!!

Last edited by SHARMENU; 03-06-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #60  
Sandee

Height: 5' 2"

Hello Girls, Thank you for your thoughtful welcomes to me. So nice to b here with U girls. So many people r lucky to have a fast metabolism or r 'naturally thin all their life'; but then there r people like me that r curvy & enjoy eating every food My dh doesn't understand how can anyone weigh over 200 lb because he's the same weight/size 34" waist since he was 32 yr old; but he didn't criticize me the 2 yrs I was chubby & we weighed the same, but I'm 5'4" & he's 5'9" so I was very curvy then. My dh says the cure to being overweight is: when your clothes r to tight to zip, eat less & b more active, 'instead of buying bigger' clothes....well he buys 5 bags of candy weekly to eat 1 daily @ work & eats till he is full of everything that looks yummy & expects me to eat w him @ those meals, even when 1 item/1 serving size has over 1,000 cals in it. So U can see why I neeedddd support friends that enjoy food like me, because he just doesn't understand how a woman's body works.

Karen3, God is sooo good, I'm happy he Blessed U & your family w good news about your daughter.

Donna & KarenMo TY for the Mayo Clinic posting. I'm printing it out & passing it on to others.

Cajun, hey I see we both luv the outdoors I got a kayak 2 summers ago & when I tire of fishing w my dh, I get out my Kindle-Fire & read or go back to camp/shore & get my kayak & cruise around the lake while dh catches walleye/bass/trout/perch for us. We went to a Mongolian bbq restaraunt Friday & I ate 1 bowl of seafood (salt-free & washed to cook) w veggies & plum sauce for 1 of my 2 trips to the 8' wok/grill.

Hi Dee, I understand about your dm needing care & being a daughter. Mine passed @ 92 yr & she lived her last months w us. It was difficult for us because mom's dementia made mom abusive to my family. Nurses r professionals & have no family-ties w patients, so they r more capable of being the best care-givers & can medicate/calm the patient as needed & so much more. So I wish 'I had left mom in the assisted living home w the nurses', but mom tearfully begged to come live w me in my home (my brother & sister refused to help, because of mom's fussy personality prior to her dementia). If she had been @ the assisted living home, my weekly visits would've had loving memories for us, instead of those last hurtful months @ my home. My prayers & best wishes r w U Dee as a family care-giver.... Hey, about cocktails try the SkinnyGirl bottles (Bethany Frankel) drinks, w agave' instead of sugar,etc. My prayers r also w U & Steve (your dh?), my dh is in remission w his cancer, God IS soo good. U have had sooo much going on w your family, Please take some time for yourself to relax & enjoy your life

Mary, your dh is like all our men, they tell us some info not all of it; so we gotta b cautious w them about their health. They r like big kids My thoughts and prayers are with U & dh for great medical results Thursday.

Bobbi, how big r Chia seeds? R the Chia seedlings the same nutriciously as the seeds? TY. Your HEALTHY meal log is Inspiring

I love that many of U post your daily meals here, I will start logging also; but mine isn't based on health, I eat everything. My 2 yr grandbabe is w us all week & he eats non-stop & I'm grazing w him all day w/o thinking about the cals I'm eating

Hi to all, its nice getting to know U
Closed Thread