Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #31  
Empress/Queen

Thanks for the kind words, Marie.

Logging is the only thing that works for me, also, in handling weight as well as general fitness. I log both food and exercise and as I guess I've mentioned, have gone back to using the old-fashioned PC software I used for years rather than the phone apps. But it doesn't matter how I log, logging helps. When I find myself not wanting to log things, I know I am in a place where just under a level of consciousness that regulates my weight, I am thinking of giving up the whole thing and letting nature take its course.

I will never give up on the whole thing, though, and ergo, I am not going to be obese again either.

Actually, I don't see logging as a price to pay. I think it is fun.

I am significantly less blue today, thanks.

Last edited by Amarantha2; 01-13-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:42 PM   #32  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Am2, glad the blues are lifting a bit. I don't mind logging, per se. I mind that logging makes it so I don't eat as much and I love eating. Of course I don't mind that logging keeps me from the obese chart.

Since I grabbed my computer after all eating is done for the day, I ended the day at 1441 cals. A good day. I do admit lunch was mighty unhealthy. I chose a german chocolate cupcake that was divine but not healthy. Being the spinner that I am, I know that coconut is healthy with fiber, there are eggs in the cake and butter is dairy. But of course I know that german chocolate cupcakes are healthy just like I honestly do know that calories don't leak out of broken cookie, no matter how many times I say it, it will never be true.
Marie

Last edited by Marie; 01-14-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:20 AM   #33  
Empress/Queen

Sometimes I think I confuse the goal of eating healthy with the goal of keeping my weight at a good level. I personally don't think there is anything wrong with eating cake now & then but my brother thinks it is akin to drug use to have a piece of cake.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

Height: 5'6"

Hello Ladies,

Finally feeling peppy again. Thank goodness because I went into work today and was immediately laid off! Waah. Oh well, I knew it was coming. I feel pretty out of sorts right now though so I need to get situated and move on. I am not feeling the diet and exercise thing much today but I am going to go for a nice long walk to ease my mind. Tomorrow is another day.

Marie-I was so sorry to read about Blizzie. We love our dogs.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #35  
Empress/Queen

Tera, so sorry to hear you we're laid off. Times are so hard, hope you enjoy your walk & have a good dinner, too. Hugs!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #36  
Lifelong Journey Member

Tera on the laid off. I hope knowing it was coming makes it a little easier to bounce back from. I wish it hadn't been on the horizon in the first place. I can see how you wouldn't be feeling the exercise and diet power. But you're going for a walk and that is a good thing.

Am2, I'm with you on the confusing losing weight with healthy eating. By reducing my calories, I tend to naturally eat healthier. But I'm with you, eating a piece of cake is fine and dandy with me as long as I take the calories from somewhere else. My cupcake yesterday didn't keep my stomach quiet all the way to dinner and I was ravenous. I think that's where healthy choices help. But that cupcake was worth the growling stomach.

I'm doing good calorie wise so far today. Morning work munchies are my trouble spot. I'd made a loaf of banana bread yesterday (yeah I had a 225 cal slice last night and that goes swell with the cupcake...) but didn't want the entire thing at home. My BFF's son loves banana bread so I made a loaf, brought it to work to bring to her house. All morning that damn loaf was calling my name. Visions of sugar plums??? Nope visions of taunting banana bread. But I said, no no no no all morning and delivered the loaf at lunchtime. So it's no longer chanting at me.
Marie
Old 01-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #37  
Empress/Queen

Marie, I always need to eat some kind of protein directly before or after a treat like cake to balance off the insulin response & that keeps me full so that I can have the treat. Lol, I should not be plotting all the time to be able to eat cake but life is meant to enjoy, in my opinion, & for now I have decided to have cake.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:15 AM   #38  
DIANA

S/C/G: 179(H)/166/150(G)

Hi Ladies, feeling less blue, thank you for kind words. I have a Sad lamp but I think taking L-theanine, vit D and Bach rescue remedy work better for me along with the "this too will pass" mind set.

I so agree about logging both exercise and especially food. So is this a life long habit that I need to keep?, sounds like it. I'm working just as hard on how to maintain my weight loss as I am on loosing the last 15 pounds.

Tera, sorry to hear of your lay off, hard time for sure.

Getting late, Diana
Old 01-16-2013, 12:18 AM   #39  
DIANA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarantha2 View Post
Marie, I always need to eat some kind of protein directly before or after a treat like cake to balance off the insulin response & that keeps me full so that I can have the treat. Lol, I should not be plotting all the time to be able to eat cake but life is meant to enjoy, in my opinion, & for now I have decided to have cake.
You are one smart lady. Where I get myself in trouble is not having the protein, but more treat. It works better if I only have the treat right after a meal.
Diana

Last edited by workinglikeadog; 01-16-2013 at 12:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

Thanks for all your kind sentiments concerning my job layoff. Unfortunately, I realized right after he hired me two years ago that this guy was in trouble so it is my own fault I did not replace this job a long time ago. It had great perks though; 35 hour work week, lots of flexibility and I worked from home one day a week. So I am sorry to see it go but hopefully there will be something else out there. In the meanwhile, I am adjusting quite nicely to all my free time. I am trying to get to some cleaning and home organization projects that have been crying for attention for a long while now. I also want to spend some time getting familiar with my phone, facebook and my new e-reader. Thankfully my husband is still gainfully employed and my youngest is set to graduate from college this May. Still need extra bucks for the house, retirement and weddings but otherwise life is good.

I am starting to think about getting serious about losing at least five pounds. I managed to take off the few pounds I put on during the holidays but that is not something I feel like bragging about. I have been walking the last few days but still have not gone back to the Y. I may put it off until next week. Also, I have a big weekend trip to the mountains with friends over MLK so it is unlikely I will be dieting-hopefully just not gaining. I will have to be careful the next few days so maybe I have a little calorie deficit going into the weekend.

My thoughts on treats-Trickly little devils! I mainly rely on substitute treats myself. Those are relatively lo cal goodies that satisfy my craving for a treat but I rarely feel the need to overeat them. Right now it is two Dove Dark Chocolates or a chocolate biscotti. I always follow with hot tea that I find very soothing as well. I have something after lunch and after dinner, religiously.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #41  
Lifelong Journey Member

Am2, I like your plotting to have cake. I plot my calories around having mochas.Yesterday I had three. All I can say is that there is portein in that non-fat milk.

Diana, I used to have a full spectrum SAD light and it did nothing for me. I bought a GoLite, blue spectrum light that is tiny and portable. It makes a HUGE difference for me. Almost scary how much it helps. I find having that nice "upper" makes winter enjoyable. I don't like just waiting for it to pass. And yes, exercising and food logging will be with me the rest of my (healthy) life.

Tera, oooowwwww I love your idea of following my mini-treats (I had a Godiva dark chocolate square 15 minutes ago) with a hot tea. The iced tea isn't doing much to curb the morning munchies. I'm going to make a tea right after I'm done here.

So the logging....
Monday: 1450 cals
Tuesday: 1547
Wednesday: 1651 (eeks but not bad considering I went out to lunch at Mexican...)

Monday and Wednesday I exercised. I totally blew the "I shall move daily" challenge. Yes I moved about with work and getting dinner but certainly not the real intention behind that challenge. I am keeping up with the logging but logging as I go would be better. So I'm going to improve that. I am caught up so far today on the logging. Heck, I'm ahead as I already put my lunch in.
Marie

PS My sister is a new diabetic and asked about a good iPhone app for tracking carbs. Anyone got recommendations?
Old 01-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #42  
DIANA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERAPET View Post
My thoughts on treats-Trickly little devils! I mainly rely on substitute treats myself. Those are relatively lo cal goodies that satisfy my craving for a treat but I rarely feel the need to overeat them. Right now it is two Dove Dark Chocolates or a chocolate biscotti. I always follow with hot tea that I find very soothing as well. I have something after lunch and after dinner, religiously.
Good treat plan, do you bake the chocolate biscotti or buy? Two Dove Dark Chocolates after dinner is my routine also, sometimes with hot tea. The hot tea really is a great idea, I think I'll remake this as part of my routine! Thanks.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #43  
DIANA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
Diana, I used to have a full spectrum SAD light and it did nothing for me. I bought a GoLite, blue spectrum light that is tiny and portable. It makes a HUGE difference for me. Almost scary how much it helps. I find having that nice "upper" makes winter enjoyable. I don't like just waiting for it to pass. And yes, exercising and food logging will be with me the rest of my (healthy) life.
Somehow I missed what type of light you were using. Thanks for explaining again & I will be checking into the GO Lite.

Good Morning to ALL, make it a great day!
Old 01-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #44  
Lifelong Journey Member

Happy MLK Day! I've had a nice long weekend going here. My DD and DGS are visiting so eating healthy and limited is not easy. Heck, I'm not even trying. I do know in 2 weeks, DH is going on swing shift (my idea) and that means I will lose weight. I have no problem losing weight when I don't have dinner. I don't have evening munchies so if I eat more in the morning, then I can make up the calories in the evening. Then the weight starts to fall off. Fall slowly, but it comes off.

Tera, the hot tea worked nicely on Thursday. I'm going to keep that as a habit at work for those morning munchies.

Diane, did you look at the GoLite? I got mine from Costco several years back.

DD, DGS, DH and I went skiing yesterday. It was in the upper 40's and SUNNY!!!! I didn't need the GoLite. It was a beautiful mountain day. According to my app, Alpine Replay, I used 700+ calories. I'm thinking that was a bit over exaggerated. But still, it used some.

Calories since last check in:
Thursday: 1562
Friday: 1756
Saturday: 1708
Sunday: 1709

So looking at my totals, I need to be reducing at least 200 calories from the total every day. I can do that. For the next two weeks, I'm going to aim at 1600 cals, then when DH moves to swing shift, I'll move the cals to 1500 cals. That should help in the losing process. But my goal of logging is going well.

Am2, how are you doing? Still blue??? I'm thinking about you.
Marie
Old 01-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #45  
Empress/Queen

Marie, thanks. I had the flu & various issues going on, been less chatty, but do read this thread & care about everyone.

Lost again this week, .6, a miracle.

I'm doing a 21-day challenge to keep calories at or below 1900 at the highest, focusing on 1600 or less.

My schedule may or may not change in a week, I am not sure, still thinking some things over.

Diana, where I live, people tend to get the SAD depression more in the summer as it is so hot outside people stay inside more, not me, though. The lights wouldn't work here, though, as there is so much sun.

Tera, your tea ritual sounds nice.

I am in the middle of walking the Fitbit steps so will say bye for now.
Closed Thread