Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #406  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Tera, I like that message. I think Tony is more accurate than Yoda. Trying is better than do not. But I still love Yoda and August 5th (the anniversary of the day I decided to lose weight years ago) I'm going to DO not just TRY. Bur for now, try is way better than giving up. Enjoy your busy weekend. Soon it will all calm down and then you'll be making your own healthy food.

I'm not doing bad today. 1226 so far but I'm not sure I will stay below the 1500 cal mark. Considering I went cherry crazy after work yesterday, I'm doing better today. Those cherries are so amazingly yummy but they aren't low cal. I did have a good elliptical workout this morning so that was a good thing. I'm thinking I need to put my Tuesday aerobic exercise back into my routine. 4 days a week isn't enough. I did better at 5.

Am2.
Marie
Old 06-22-2013, 07:32 AM   #407  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

Height: 5'6"

Still not tracking or exercising yet maintaining. Phew.

Marie-I did not mean to contradict cute little Yoda. Oops. How about a compromise- "Fake it until you make it."

I need to take that motto on. I constantly worry about things that are simply not that bad. I need to learn to accept the imperfect situations while striving for those I desire. My biggest concern right now is that DD is very unhappy that she accepted a teaching position in a city she does not care to move to. It is less than two hours from us and just over two hours in the other direction to her boyfriends school but she will be living alone and the school enviroment will likely be highly stressful. Dang it. Everyone tells me a job is a job and just persevere. Hopefully.

Yum, cherries--are they really that bad?
Old 06-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #408  
Lifelong Journey Member

Tera on the fake until you make it. I don't think Yoda is right all the time, regardless. Trying is good because if you don't, you would be in the Do Not category.

The cherries, when consumed in bulk like I did, are pretty high in cals. Sort of like when I had three bananas a day on Weight Watchers and gained weight on their program. I LOVE fruit. I'm just so-so with veges.

As to your DD, teaching jobs in my neck of the woods are few and far between. Especially elem ed teachers. There's too many of them. Math and Science is a different story. So what's her license in? If it's Math or Science, I think she should send a letter of regret. If it's elem ed, she should take it and get the experience.

DH and I went on a 26+ mile bike ride yesterday. It was amazing out. Today is yucky and cloudy. We did take the pups on a hike but it wasn't beautiful. But the doggies were happy. Cals? Who knows and I'm pretty sure I don't want to calc yesterday's. We did DQ on the ride. I'm not sure I broke even or not on the cal count. TodayI am doing fine calorie wise. It wouldn't take much to log it. As it stands since there's not much and I can add that in my head, I'm at 1040 cals and I'm done with meals. Just a mocha and my ice cream this evening. So that would get me to 1400 but I'm guessing dark chocolate will find it's way into my counts. So I guess today is good. Yesterday.... eeks...
Mariue
Old 06-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #409  

Still not counting calories but I am planning to go to the Y this evening. My poor tummy is all icky these days from all the crazy party food this weekend. I truly enjoyed another fantastic family weekend but I did not behave well calorie wise. I did get in quite a bit of walking though so that part is good. The food choices will start improving soon but it does take me awhile to get back in the swing of things after these foodfests. Better not take too long, my clothes are getting tight!

DD is getting used to the idea of her new job. She admits she is not finding available open positions nor is the phone ringing off the hook. First jobs can be far from perfect, but I firmly believe one has to keep an open mind since we simply do not know where life will take us.

Sounds like you are getting plenty of great exercise in and working on the calorie totals. What are your plans starting August 5th?

Last edited by TERAPET; 06-24-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #410  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi Tera, I hate when the clothes start feeling tight. Been there, done that, doing that sadly. August 5th is when life in my world slows back to normal. The vacations, holidays, birthdays are finished. So if I hang on through then, fighting the calorie demon, I will just be so much further ahead to go full speed at making the clothes loose and comfy.

So what is your daughter's licensure in? Are you done with the family functions so you can get back on course?

Yesterday I was at 1487 cals. Woots. Today a friend and I went out to lunch and I had a wonderful Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad. Three of those four words in the title are healthy. Sadly it's that other word that undoes it. But it was good. The only bad part was the dressing. There were very few croutons on it so that was good. Then my friend and I shared a piece for German Choc Cake. Oh my. I think I'm counting that as dinner. I'm at 1502 cals for now. I don't see it staying at that but if I can stay in 150 cals the rest of the day, then that will be pretty decent. I did bike this morning so at least I sweated and moved. Maybe I should do another round then I won't be in too bad of shape. Got to say, the lunch was worth it.
Marie
Old 06-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #411  

Todays cals-pretty high I am sure, Ex-short walk with hubby in the evening. So, still way off course and watching the scale climb. I am not finished with the family activities yet. This weekend is a picnic to meet DS2's girlfriend's parents on Saturday and a birthday party for DD on Sunday. However, after that things will slow to a trickle for a very long time so I am not too worried. I am still polishing off the remaining party food around here but it is going fast. I am looking forward to getting back to my old schedule so that is a positive thing. Maybe I will manage to begin the job search again soon also-maybe anyway. I am definitely NOT looking forward to that.

DD is in music education. We visited her new town today for her to complete some paperwork and find an apartment. She starts in the middle of July. The neighborhood of the middle school is very sketchy-in fact darn right scary. But kids are still kids no matter the neighborhood and she will be teaching a subject that most kids enjoy. Her new apartment is quite nice.

I can never understand why the calorie count for those Caesar Salads are so high. I figure they have to be wrong. Of course cake is high calorie but it tastes so darn good. I ate quite a bit of cake myself today. Leftovers from last nights dinner. It is called Texas Sheet Cake and is pretty much a frosted brownie. Yum but fattening.

Last edited by TERAPET; 06-26-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #412  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi Tera, music education is not nearly as bad as elem ed for open jobs. Our district is currently looking for one and our charter school needs one (he isn't HQ). I think Caesar salads are bad because of the dressing. I think it's made with pure fat. At least it has grilled chicken and greens to help offset the horrible.

My cals yesterday were 1577 and a really good elliptical workout. I'd upped my distance. Yoda was encouraging me. Today I'm at less than 900 and almost time to leave work. So cal wise I'm ok. Not angelic but not overboard either. Woots on that! I have tomorrow off and it's supposed to be about 90. If it hadn't been cold for a week, I'd be able to swim this afternoon as it is sunny and beautiful out but it was cold and rainy. My pool heating is solar panels so it's warming again today and tomorrow on my day off I'll be a bum.
Marie
Old 06-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #413  

I wish that was true about the music ed jobs for my DD. She has had very little response from her applications. Plus she hears of many jobs that are filled without being posted but no one is seeking her. It is very disheartening. Her grades are extremely good and she graduated from a top public university for her field. Her only job offer is in a zip code that is on record for 22 murders and 54 rapes in 2010 (the latest statistic I found)-all that in one zip code in a 12 month period. Our little family is very worried for her safety but we hope we are worrying needlessly. The last teacher was there for four years so hopefully that means it was not that bad. DD is trying to contact her on Facebook but she has not yet responded.

Last edited by TERAPET; 06-27-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #414  
Lifelong Journey Member

Tera, sounds like scary place to live. And scary for the mom too. It would be interesting to hear what the former teacher had to say.

I've been pretty good the last few (busy) days. I've done a decent job of logging except today. But I was so busy at work I didn't have a chance to munch through the morning. So I'm probably ok. I will log it tomorrow so I have today's and tomorrow's cals. After work I did the elliptical and it was not fun. We're in a heat wave and we have no AC (never wanted it). Mostly I just wanted to get in the pool. I ellipticalled in my tankini top so that I could jump in as soon as I was done. That felt excellent!
Marie
Old 07-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #415  

I have a little more perspective on DD's job today. As far as the crime statistics, although high, the zip code encompasses much of the city, not just the immediate neighborhood of the school. I thought about the scare factor on the day I visited and feel part of it was due to the emptiness of the school which of course will be better when school starts. Most encouraging though was the former teacher who said it looks worse than it is and that she actually lived in the neighborhood and sometimes walked to school. Her report of the job is pretty much what one would expect. Some good, some bad. Not ideal but not an impossible situation. So we will hope for the best. No doubt DD will learn a lot.

cals-still not counting-certainly high. ex-nice long walk with the neighbor in the AM and short walk with DH in the PM. I am living a pretty peaceful life these days. I need to get back in the chase though, including cleaning up my diet, especially all the sugar. The scale continues to creep up which is not surprising of course. Absolutely no parties or travel plans in the near future so I predict a correction is imminent.

Glad you have your pool (and your job in an air conditioned building) to get through the heat wave. Do your dogs swim as well? We once had a lab that loved to lull around in a baby pool on hot summer days. He also enjoyed standing over a sprinkler. Hopefully you don't have any water restrictions on top of the heat.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #416  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi Tera, I'm glad you're more comfy with your DD's new job location. It's not easy letting them fly from the nest especially into dangerous currents. I hope all goes well.

The heat wave is supposed to lower a little tomorrow. Wunderground says "much cooler tomorrow" with a high of 89. That is much cooler. We've been setting dacade's long records this week. I've liked it as I like hot. Everyone else is pretty testy. Tonight DGS and I swam and enjoyed the refreshing pool. And today was the first time in forever I actually turned on my office AC. I set it at a chilly 81 degrees.

I haven't logged all week but I'm doing pretty good. Doing great with exercising. I like salads in the summer. I wish dressing was FREE cal wise. And croutons. I really love Costco's Frocaccio (sp????) croutons.

Have a FUN 4th tomorrow!
Marie
Old 07-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #417  

cals-? ex-none. Hopefully I am going to start feeling guilty about my lack of effort soon. Maybe when the sun starts shining around here. Its been raining cats and dogs endlessly. Yesterday was rather boring, just DH and I and a crossword puzzle. Today the highlight was suppose to be delivery of a new refrigerator. Unfortunately after much effort squeezing large appliances through narrow doorways, upon plugging in the new machine, the new appliance proved defective. Alas, the electronics for the water and ice dispenser did not activate. After considerable haggling with the delivery men, said non working appliance was removed, old refrigerator was replaced in it's spot and I am back to square one.

Good for you for exercising and eating salad. A very wise and healthy strategy. The croutons sound yummy. I have been eating wheat lately and am not really looking forward to giving it up again. I do feel more in control with my eating and generally feel better when I am wheat free so I will be heading that direction in time. In the meanwhile, I still have some goodies left over from all the company last month and definitely do not plan to trash them. Eating wheat free, exercising and calorie counting are all on hold until .....well, I guess I don't know when exactly. Soon though, I think.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #418  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi Tera, I really fell off the wagon and I'm pretty sure it's at least a mile or two down the dusty trail. Every day I tell myself (usually after squeezing on my clothes) that I will be good. And then I'm not. I haven't logged my cals since the last time I checked in here. So I'm going to check in every day (except maybe July 20 and 21 and again July 30 and 31 as I'll be driving to Minnesota. But then, when I'm a passenger, what else do I have to do??? So I'm taking my phone out and I'll put today's cals in and post them.... Logging....OK, I'm up to 1205. No exercise as I'm debating it. I twinged my lower back doing back dives on Saturday and understood the bike ride Sunday and the elliptical workout Monday irritated it. I'm thinking taking today off might be wise. Had a busy 4th weekend and am currently enjoying my quiet house. Now on to logging dinner... OK so that will bring me up to 1713 cals. I can live with that total. I'm back and I'm going to stay back. I'm done listening to the little voice in my head that tells me "It's OK" because it is not. get off my shoulder...
Marie

Last edited by Marie; 07-10-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #419  
Lifelong Journey Member

Tera and AM2,

Since my post a couple days ago, I've gotten the calories back under control. Yesterday I finished the day under 1500 cals and I've already logged breakfast and lunch and I'm just finishing my breakfast. Pre-logging - wow. Actually I was getting gas and had nothing better to do while the car got its juice. I hope you're both doing well. My back is slowly getting better. Trying to baby it a little. I did just a moderate bike ride on the fluid trainer last night. I don't know what I'll do for movement today.
Marie
Old 07-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #420  

Cals-? No exercise. Obviously I am still not back on schedule. Probably I will start back at it on Monday. Last week was filled with moving DD and messing with replacing the refrigerator. We received another new one but it was also defective. Interesting. I am done worrying about it though. We received number three today. Maybe this one will be a keeper. DD's move went okay but we did not realize her apartment was on the third floor. Long uninteresting story. In the end, it made the move-in a major pain in the behind but at least now she is moved in. She has already started working, getting her classroom in order and such. Band Camp starts Monday. It will be fun following her first year teaching.

Marie-Sorry to hear your clothes are tight. Good thing there is a relatively easy fix for that. Considering your past success, I know you will get back where you want to be. Weight maintenance is an up and down thing. I try not to get too excited about weight fluctuations either way. Plus there is a plus side to everything. Usually when I am gaining weight, it is because I am eating and enjoying all kinds of goodies. I love eating yummy food. However, I do not enjoy the weight gain and I know it is not good for me so I have to avoid being complacent and eating anything I want. That is why we are here on 3Fatchicks and we will prevail!

PS-Sorry also about the sore back. Hope it heals quickly.

Last edited by TERAPET; 07-12-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Closed Thread