Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #136  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

I have to get ready for church, just wanted to post my calories from yesterday: Calories 1,009 and 28 gram fiber. Fiber was on the low side but I missed my bowl of veggie soup at lunch time.
Cajun...congrats on the fast weight loss, 8 pounds in 4 days. I can drop weight fast too, just have to set my mind to it and count every morsel that goes in my mouth.
I'm be around today, won't be visiting MIL in the nursing home. They don't want anyone coming around since we have lots of flu going around town.
Have a blessed day everyone.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #137  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Bobbi - I have been reading the crockpot yogurt recipes online and I think I am going to adapt your recipe to the crockpot for 2 reasons. Your recipe calls for 1 qt of water and dry milk whereas the other recipes mostly call for 1/2 gallon of milk. I think that would make too much for me because I'm the only one who's going to be eating it. Also, I have a little 1 1/2 qt crockpot and one of the recipes said if the crockpot is too big for the amount of yogurt you're making it might not thicken properly. I am prepared for DH's comments. He will INSIST that I can't eat that stuff after it sat out overnight. One time the neighbor gave his daughter some starter for that Friendship Cake everyone was making and he made her throw it out. He said there's no way you're letting that stuff ferment on the kitchen counter. He is really "old school." Does your yogurt turn out the same thickness as store bought? One of the recipes online says that after the yogurt sits overnight, put the crock in the refrigerator without stirring or anything and leave it set until it's cold and this step will make it thicker. Some call for whole milk instead of skim, some say use skim milk and add dry milk to it.

PS - DH just looked over my shoulder to see what I was doing and I told him I'm going to make home made yogurt. He said "Just don't poison yourself!" LOL

Gayle - I am going to look for quiona and give it a try. I just hope I don't have to buy too big of a package in case I don't like it. I was reading about it and I have to watch the carbs in it because I'm diabetic, but I would think it would be healthy carbs. Either way, the carbs have to be healthier than rice carbs. The first time I tried spaghetti squash I hated it and didn't feel that I could ever substitute it for regular spaghetti, but now I tried it again and I love it.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-13-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #138  
Bobbi

Homemade yogurt never gets as thick and creamy as store bought. It also depends on how long you let it cook. I've never made it in the crockpot but you should set it on warm only. I think low might even be too hot but I'm not sure. Check the recipes, anything warmer will kill the active yogurt and it won't set.
Making it with dry skim milk keeps the calories super low but it doesn't thicken up as well. I have a yogurt cheese maker too, It's just a plastic container fitted with a fine mesh over the top. The whey drips down into the container and the cheese thickens up.
But you can make your own, put a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and put the yogurt in. After the liquid drains out, season the cheese with garlic, herbs, or whatever.
Quinoa pronounced keen-wa is like a tiny ball of pasta that gets transparent when cooked. I put it in soups, it's really good. You can make cold salad with it too, just replace the pasta for quinoa. My DD uses it all the time because it's gluten free.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #139  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...

Quick hello. I've been playing on the computer and HAVE to get something constructive done today! Time whizzes by.....

KarenFL - sorry about your recurrence. I hope your doc can fix you tomorrow. I'm puzzled at your DH's statement that I'm a "tough chick". I was very polite when I spoke to him, and he was very kind... I don't know where that statement came from! Anyway, I hope you're better soon!

Nothing to report. My damned scale is in hysterics, thinks the holiday gain is funny. I am not amused. Onward and upward, I guess.

Everyone, have a good Sunday!
Old 01-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #140  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good afternoon GG’s,

I am in a kind of a funky mood today. I should be doing stuff, but don’t feel like doing anything except (as Donna says) gorking.

Doing nothing is what I feel like doing right now, but later on, I will be mad at myself that I wasted precious time and didn’t get anything done. Sigh……

So, I came here. I guess that is something.

I think it is the cloudy day. I feel more like doing stuff when it is a sunny day. There is just something about the sun that kind of lifts your mood and makes you feel better.

I did get a couple things done yesterday that I had been wanting to get done. Finished a book for Maddie ~ me and my grandma. And made a thing for Jason.

Sara and Maddie came over yesterday ~ that was fun. But when they come, the things I was working on come to a halt and it is hard to get myself going again. Jason was supposed to stop by, but he wasn’t feeling well.

I guess I am not a morning person. I think after years of working the night shift ~ I would sleep in the mornings and have my spurt of energy in the afternoons ~ that is still kinda how I am. But by the time the afternoon comes around ~ it seems to fly by and like there just isn’t enough time to do anything.

Ok, guess I will go do something. Thank you all for listening to my ramblings. Hope you all are having a nice weekend.

I tried to put a picture of the thing I made for Maddie, but it needed to be resized and my head didn't feel like tackling that today.

Take care
Attached Images
File Type: jpg for Jason.jpg (25.3 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by glynne; 01-13-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #141  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Donna if you knew George you'd understand that was a big compliment
Old 01-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #142  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

KarenFL - okay... Tell him I said "thank you!!"...

And what happens tomorrow? Do you just show up at the doc's office? Good thoughts, good thoughts!

Last edited by jess1; 01-13-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #143  

Hi everyone. we have been having the crazy weather from he*****. it warmed up and its been pouring rain on top of all the snow.our yard has puddles in it on top of ice. they are saying to stay home if at all possible.our sat tv went out last night dh went out this am and the snow came off the roof and snapped some wires. while he was up on the garage roof i saw him slip and slide and did the one armed grab befor he went over yikes..i about freaked out but hes ok. repair man has been called. good thing we have lots of movies to watch. also my niece called and she was on a list to salvage moose if they are hit by a car . we have butchered 2 allready( we are on the list also and no one wants to do the work,however we have nice clean moose meat in our freezer and glad for it),well she hasnt a clue on how too so my dh and me (some what) are helping her. she is a dashound breeder and brought her 2 day old litter of pups over yesterday when she brought the moose. i puppysat while they worked.. i was in heaven. so CUTE. K3 hope they find the trouble and can helpyou feel better soon.Jess i loved the dish cloth so much that on my trip to joanna i got some of the cotton yarn to make some for my girls thankyou . My dr that did my surg told me to find things to keep me busy or i would revert to old eating habbits so im "hooking"" away lol. happy sunday everyone rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 01-13-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #144  
Want to feel better

Donna ~ love your chick "Spike" picture

Rosey ~ glad Steve is ok after his acrobatics on the roof. Glad you enjoyed the puppies. Good job keeping your hands busy.

Last edited by glynne; 01-13-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #145  

S/C/G: 318/218/160

Height: 5'6"

Default What motivates me?

Wrote this today. Wanted to share with you all:

When I weighed over 300 pounds, and had a heart cath and stent, my motivation to lose weight was to stay alive for my special needs son who needed me to be on the earth for a while longer.

But now, though that is still my main motivator, it also is how much better I feel, and how much easier my life is since I've lost almost 100 pounds. I never want to go back to that place. Not ever.

I do not miss:

Wondering if I will fit in a booth
Knowing that even the biggest size on the rack may not fit
Having a difficult time closing the stall door in a public restroom
Needing super human strength to stand up from a couch
The rashes
Hurting after standing for 5 minutes
Dropping food on my chest (which seemed to happen every time I went out to eat!)
Not knowing what to do with my hands when I sat some place
Feeling like I had a constant do-nut around my neck
Being out of breath just going up a flight of stairs

Things I love about losing weight

I don't feel like the biggest person in the room any more, I don't even scan the room to see if I am
Clothes look so much better
I feel healthy and I'm way more active
My laptop can actually fit on my lap
Wearing pants that have a waistband!
Knowing the seat belt (plane and car) will fit
Feeling in control
Playing with my son
Being able to get on the floor and get up from the floor without heavy machinery!
My feet and fingers have even shrunk!

As a lady at a WW meeting once said: Nothing tastes as good as thin feels.
I totally agree. Maybe changing that to "thinner", cause I'm not "thin" yet. But it sure feels good. : )

Last edited by Change4Life; 01-14-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #146  
Want to feel better

Good morning GG's,

Another dreary drippy day here today. Off to work ~ first of 4.

On the up side, I made myself do 10 minutes on the treadmill this morning. I know ~ that is piffle, but it is a start.

I did get a couple things done over the weekend that I had wanted to do. Forgot one thing I needed to do for work ~ but my printer wouldn't cooperate this morning. Sometimes I can't even get all the stuff I need to do, done before the end of day. So these extra things get left over. It would be preferable to get it done at work, but by the time it is time to leave from there, I do not want to dally around.

I have been writing down for almost a year now ~ what time I get out of work. Sometimes it was feeling like I never got out on time. I thought surely that must not be so. It kind of goes in spells. For several days I will get out on time ~ then it swings the other way and for several days it runs late. I figured out last night from my little record that I end up staying late almost 1/2 of the time (as little as 30 minutes up to hours ~ 2 or 3 or 4 ~ the longest ever was 7 hours). Not as bad as I originally thought, but still could be better. Oh well ~ sigh......

Ok, guess I'd better get rolling. One day closer to retirement
I know I shouldn't be wishing my life away.

Anyway......hope you all have a good day.

Take care
Old 01-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #147  

Bobbi - How do I measure 115 grams of milk powder? Do I mix it in the same measurements as it says of the box for a qt of milk? I never understood grams. Some recipes were using store bought skim milk and then adding some of the dry milk to it to thicken it up. When you make it in the crock pot you only leave the crock pot on turned to low until the milk is hot enough to add the starter. Then you turn it off and wrap a big towel around the crock pot and let it sit 8-10 hours or overnight. You do not leave the crock pot on overnight. Supposedly, the towel makes it cool down slowly, which is helpful. Then in the morning, without stirring it, you put the crock in the refrigerator until the yogurt is cold. That is supposed to help thicken it up even more.

DH said I could do what I want about the yogurt, but he said "If you left warm milk on the kitchen counter overnight would you drink it the next day? NO!" He said if I get sick he's going to drop me off at the hospital door and come back home. LOL He got me scared a little talking about all that I went through when I had all that infection in my abdomen and needed the colostomy, but that was a different situation. That was not caused by something I ate. I can just imagine what he would say if I told him about the time you left it under your bed for 3 days. LOL

I think Quinoa is a whole grain, not a pasta. It is actually a seed and bursts open when it is cooked. I put barley in my soups, and it's similar to that. It is high in carbs, but also high in protein, and that's why I think it should be OK with my diabetes.

Donna _ I was LOL at your scale in hysterics about the holiday weight gain. It always helps to have a sense of humor. You will get that weight back off.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-14-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #148  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

morning
Old 01-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #149  
Bobbi

Sorry....1 1/3 cup in measuring cup or 4 ounce dry on scale. My food scale measures in pounds and ounces or grams. I use the grams because it's more accurate. 30 grams = 1 ounce.
Quote:
Bobbi - How do I measure 115 grams of milk powder? Do I mix it in the same measurements as it says of the box for a qt of milk? I never understood grams.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 01-14-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #150  

Bobbi - Thanks for clarifying that. Today in Target I ran into the dietician from our local hospital. It's pretty bad when you've been in the hospital so many time you're on a first-name basis with the dietician. LOL I asked her, in front of my husband, about the safety of home-made yogurt. I knew it is safe, but I wanted him to hear what she said. She said it is not only safe but is so much healthier than what is bought in the store and gave me a pat on the back for wanting to do this. So there! LOL After talking to her, my husband told me he would feel better if I got a yogurt maker. So a-shopping I will go. I'm still going to try it in the crockpot, probably tomorrow.
Closed Thread