Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default Golden Girls

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you when you turned 50? 60? 70? Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!

Last edited by Bobbolink; 06-09-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:34 AM   #2  
Bobbi

Good Morning girls....how's everyone's diet going. What are you doing for fun stuff like exercising?
Old 06-09-2015, 03:55 PM   #3  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Thank you Bobbi ~ for helping us with a new thread. How are you doing?

Donna popped in a couple days back ~ was nice to see her again too.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:50 PM   #4  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good afternoon GG's,

It is a nice sunny day here today.

Maddie and I have played Go Fish and the match game.

DH went to his follow up appointment with the cardiologist, got done with that and went to schedule cardiac rehab. We're supposed to do grocery shopping after that. Wonder if he is going to be up to it.

Hope you all are having a nice day.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:17 PM   #5  

Height: 5'3"

I got up early because our new washer was to arrive between 8 am and 12N and swept out the garage but hadn't eaten yet...then they call and say it's going to be here between 1 pm and 3 pm. I was in pain most of the night so I felt rather irritable about that...tried to back to bed but couldn't sleep so finally just got up. My bs was 167 early, and I took my meds (thinking I'd be eating), and when I got up the second time (without eating), it was 138...that's the closests I've been to my target for a very long time, but of course it was the meds and my not eating. Still made me feel good to see it. My bs have been coming down recently as I'm being more careful with my eating but the am one continues to be high.

Yesterday, we went shopping. I had to pick up some tops at Pennys...they didn't fit so jut returned them right then. Then we went to Home Depot and Lowes to look for a washer. I had in my head I was going to get this particular one and did find it at both stores, but then saw another I think is better (though I'm sure either would be much better than what I've had!). Anyway that "better" one was a demo only for a very nice price at Home Depot, however we couldn't get dh's military discount on it and no delivery. It wouldn't even come in a box, just plastic so I was uncertain about my getting it home safely in our trailer. So went to Lowes and there it was so I bought it. Much more money (our state tax is a killer!) but got Joe's military discount and free delivery and even installation. They would also take away our old one but we are giving it to someone who needs a washer as it still works. We also bought the 5 year extended warranty. I hate buying those things but with all the electronics in them these days things can easily go wrong...I've been glad we bought it for our dishwasher. Last night I noticed that my dryer door isn't shutting good...It will if I push it harder and so far I think it stays during the drying but I suspect that will be another purchase before long. Hoping dh can fix it. It's going to look really awful next to my new washer though.

Regarding my weight...I am still 2.5# up since the last trip. What more I'd be if it had been a long trip?!! I have got to realize I cannot eat so much when traveling and esp junk!!

Was going grocery shopping but may not get there. We have leftovers we can eat tonight and ds will not be with us. I do need to run out for something else though so will see how it goes.

Glynne - Hope your dh is feeling more like himself soon, but really he probably does need to take it easy for a while. He's been through quite a lot.

Hi to everyone else! It's another beautiful day...perhaps not so warm...haven't looked at the temp...but the forecast is warm and dry for several days. Very unusual weather for us.

Bobbi - forgot to answer your question...we haven't gotten back to the gym since our last trip (got home last Friday) but on our trip we walked a lot. I get ten min daily on my exercise bike and 30 min a day when we don't go to the gym is my goal..haven't done that recently though.

Last edited by maryea; 06-10-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:25 PM   #6  
Bobbi

Good job Mary!
Gayle...you doing your 3 wheel bike for exercise. It's been so cold here until recently so I haven't ridden much.
Carol Sue...how about you?

[QUOTE I get ten min daily on my exercise bike and 30 min a day when we don't go to the gym is my goal.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-10-2015, 09:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

It was really hot here today. I went outside to sit on the porch with Rusty but it was too hot to stay out very long. We get the afternoon sun on the front porch. DH was working on his hot rod and I don't know how he did it n that hot sun. He never wears shorts, just long jeans all the time. I don't know how he stood it. He will only work on the car when the neighbors across the street are not home because he doesn't like them to sit on their porch and watch him. LOL That's where a rear garage would come in handy.

I'm doing well. I'm starting a new eating plan called Slow Carb. You eat low carb for 6 days and then eat carbs on the 7th day. It's supposed to help keep your metabolism from going too low. We'll see. I will never quit trying.

Yesterday, I developed another problem with my left eye. That's the one where I have the hole in the macula. Now I have a little white pimple on the edge of my eyelid. It hurts. I googled and it said it's from an infection and to use warm compresses on it and if not gone in several days, see a doctor. It's always something.

Glad you got your new washer, Mary. I hope you like it.

Gayle, how did Steve's appointment with the cardiologist go? I'm wondering what he said about him not feeling better. I liked cardiac rehab. It was good to know that they were monitoring your exercise to be sure all was working properly.

I'm wondering about Love2garden. Does she know to come over to this new thread?
Old 06-11-2015, 02:43 PM   #8  

Height: 5' 2"

CarolSue Just found you! I never thought to look for a new thread. THanks to Bobbi for starting it.

Slow Carb? This is a new one for me. I have found that I am doing better with limiting my carbs. Fresh fruit, at least 2 servings, are a must, but it is hard for me to limit it to just two. I eat only whole grains, but still have cut those back.

Sure hope that eye issue is solved quickly Sight is so important. I wouldn't wait a few days, please call the doctor.

Mary Smart move to get the 5 year service contract on your new washer. And you got the bonus of discount, free delivery and installation!!!

Gayle Go Fish . . . What would we do without this fun game. I carried a deck of cards in my purse for the kids, grandkids, etc most of my life. Still play solitaire.

Last 6 Angelonia planted this morning and 1/2 of back gardens watered well. DD came out with me when I was resting and we had a delightful time just talking while in the garden. Seems we never find time to really relax with one another, shall seek out more of those times.

DH took car to shop for oil change and state inspection. Hope we don't have to add a whole lot to the credit card after purchasing those 2 nice recliners earlier this week.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:55 PM   #9  

It's just Halo and I again as dh is fishing. Another warm dry day, sunny but slightly overcast earlier. Today I want to clean my kitchen well and perhaps do a little decluttering if I have time. Also need to shop for groceries and I'd like to get a manicure too, so will see how the day goes. Probably won't get it all done. Last night for dinner I made hamburgers with a wine mushroom sauce on top. They were yummy. Not sure yet about tonight...may be a ground beef dish as I have some ground beef left or maybe chicken if it is thawed by then.

I like my dishwasher so far...did two small loads yesterday. One thing I have to get used to is I have to push the power button before choosing the cycle. Then when I turn the knob the cycle lights up and all the parts to it ..wash, rinse, spin etc come up on the panel. I can adjust some of them if I want but so far I've just gone with what comes up. I'll probably experiment more eventually. It's very different from my old agitator washer. Need to also buy some HE detergent...I accidentally picked up a bottle while at the commissary so do have some but that is the detergent that spilled all over so don't have much.

My weight was down to 167 today so only one pound to go to be at my pre-trip weight. Those trips really mess me up! I now have this verse on my fridge and it is helping me. I Cor 6:12-20 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

Carol Sue - Hope the new eating plan works well for you.

Bobbi - Good to see you posting again!

Hi Glynne! Hows your dh? Hope the doctor was able to help or at least encourage him in his progress.

Hi Love2garden - Hope you have found the new thread and will soon be hearing from you again.

What happened to our newbies? Hope they return.

Last edited by maryea; 06-11-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:32 PM   #10  

Having pc problem
Old 06-12-2015, 01:38 PM   #11  

Well almost down to where I was before the last trip...1/2# more and I'll be there. Didn't get much done around here yesterday as we decided to do our coupon shopping at Costco plus followed that with our regular weekly shopping at New Seasons. Last night I made Asian Fried Rice (lots of veggies in it and added some leftover meat)...it was a one dish meal.The guys were working outside so didn't want to spend much time on eating and it was easy for me. It was very tasty though and ate quite a lot and I usually don't eat much rice so I was expecting to gain. Whew! I think I ate more because I didn't really eat lunch, just had samples at Costco and a mocha. Enough carbs for sure but not enough nutrition. I don't often do that but at dinner I was really hungry I guess and know I ate way too many carbs! I didn't bother to check last night but this morning I was high but no more than often am. I deheaded the rhodies for a few minutes but need to finish and I'm two days behind in my housework.

Last edited by maryea; 06-12-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:58 PM   #12  

Height: 5' 2"

Mary When you mentioned deadheading the Rhodys I realized that I failed to do that this year. However, because our large old one is growing out onto the mulched path around to veggie garden, DH simply cut it back so we could at least walk single file and not get wet from dew.

This left little to deadhead except way above our head.

Asian Fried Rice sounds like something our family would enjoy. What were the veggies you used? Did you use toasted sesame oil?

Took DH to get ultrasound on his stomach area to check for health of arteries. Understand Medicare won't pay for it but we now have base line image on an area of question. Technician said it looked ok, mostly "wear and tear"

Only had 4.5 hours sleep as we had to drive a distance and be at Hospital before 7:30 AM. Nap this afternoon was a help. Still feel listless.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:52 PM   #13  

The pc is in the shop but the guy says it doesn't look good. At best, I lost all my data. Nothing vital, but things I wanted. My fault for not backing up. I really don't know how. DH has the old laptop set up for now. Better than nothing.

I don't dead head my Rhody. Didn't know I was supposed to. I figured the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. What happens if you don't?

I love fried rice but it raises my blood sugar too high.

Love2garden, I hope DH is OK. Hate that Medicare doesn't pay for things. When we get old and need the health care they decided not to cover what we need. They covered everything when we were young and didn't need it. LOL

Mary, what did DH decide to do about the lawn mower? For a while there, DH bought a new lawn mower every year for 5 years. He would sell the old one. Now he settled on a self propelled from Sears and has been happy with it for a few years.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:21 PM   #14  

Another beautiful day, dh is rebuilding a part of our fence that fell down recently. I spent a little more time working on the rhodies. I have been told that they don't continue to produce blooms as well if you don't dehead them, so that's why I do it. I don't get the very top ones but I get all I can. Dh has not yet decided about the mower. He will be mowing in a few days again so hopefully he will decide after that. He is inclined to just keep what he has but I told him to be sure it is not too heavy for him because he is not getting younger and neither am I. My son says I shouldn't be mowing at all but I told him I think the exercise is good for me. These days though I hardly do it as dh likes to do it.

Love2Garden - In this particular fried rice recipe, I used carrots, green onions and peas. My dh likes lots of garlic in his fried rice and actually prefers no veggies other than onions but this dish was different than our usual. I also put in a scrambled egg ...this is something I do sometimes but not always. I add the egg esp if I don't have meat in it. This dish was also unusual in that I used ground beef...I usually use chicken...used to use pork but don't often eat pork anymore. I just happened to have 1/2 # ground beef to use up so I browned it and then just cooked the rice in the same pan. There was actually very little grease in the pan. Usually though I use canola, vegetable oil or coconut oil. I don't usually use sesame oil as I don't really care for the smell or taste of it. I used garlic and ginger dry seasoning. Most often I use fresh garlic because that's what dh prefers and sometimes fresh ginger.
I guess that wear and tear report isn't that bad though we don't like to hear it..sorry to hear Medicare doesn't cover the procedure. Are you beginning to get back your energy?

Wannabe - You can back up to a CD or a flashdrive by just choosing to save your data to that drive instead of your hard drive. You can also pay for a monthly service as I do and it's done for you.

Hi to Glynne, Bobbi, Donna..

Well much to do...talk later.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:35 PM   #15  

Mary, DH uses a self-propelled mower. He needs that because we have some hilly part in our yard.

Today I found out that DH had backed-up our computer to CDs but then we had some computer trouble and he tried to use them and didn't do anything. When we went to pick up our computer he asked the guy about them and the guy looked at them and said the files are compressed and won't open. He kept the CDs and said another guy who works there might be able to fix that problem, so if he can, we will get back some of our data up until the point where he did the back up. I'm just happy to have the PC back right now, in spite of losing data. DH told me about the service that you can pay for, but nothing I have is that important. Just recipes and some websites I bookmarked. I think I might get an external hard drive to use for back ups.

I have never dead headed my rhody and it blooms beautifully every year. It was very small when we planted it, over 30 years ago, and DH sometimes trims it to keep it from hanging down into the driveway. One time a branch broke off from heavy snow but it has since grown in and you can't notice the broken branch.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 06-13-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Closed Thread