3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > Age 50+

Losing weight at 50

Old 10-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #421
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 320/210.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

SO now the funny thing... Since I posted and put into words why I think I am not going forward with my weight loss and actually feeling like giving up as I see my friends have... I am starting to lose again! LOLOLOL I guess I just needed to write that thought process down in words and get it out of my head to clear up determination thoughts instead! Strange how things work and this message is NOT going to Jinx me as I am still determined... I am .... I have a cousin who I have not seen in 41 years coming Thanksgiving and I want to be Lighter at least by 8 lbs (will be into the low 240's new scale high 220's old scale) so that I can fit into anything wherever I go with my cousin and his wife.

Today is also my sister's birthday.. tho she has been born back in heaven.. but a day to remember her love and her light for me.. She has been gone 8 years+ now... I miss her and love her...

Mini Goal 10% off (289) 4/14/13 #2 50lbs (270) 6/18/13 # 3 1/2 way (240) 1/18/14 #4 100lbs (220) 6/5/14 #5 (199)

You have to believe it first and then you will see it!!

1 for every 10 lbs lost

to Lothlorien 920 miles
traveled: 794.95 (exercise miles only) started 3/1/13
Remaining: 125.15 - Lothlorien!
Walk 2014 current X's = 199 -
564.95 miles walked. High steps 20043 7.28.14
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #422

S/C/G: 396/348/160

Height: 5'7"

Sue -- It was so good reading both of your posts. I know what you mean about being the person who takes care of everyone else, although the kindness is not always returned. Some of us are just nurturers and others are not. I read a book about the ways that people show love, and some of us are gift givers. Not always a material gift, but the ones who are always thinking of others first. Once I realized that this is how I get my satisfaction in life, it helped. Although there are days when I have a little pity party and wonder why I'm always the one making the sacrifices.

And I'm so glad for you the weight is coming off. Just recovering from the scale debacle would have thrown me off. Sometimes I do think that there's some power out there that gives us a little shove just when we need it.

My sister is gone as well -- 5 years in March. It's gotten better over time, but I will miss her until I can join her at the end of my earth journey.

Mini Goals: Move Here Weight (2005): 344, Stop Smoking Weight (1997): 333, Mom Remarried (1990) 313, Twoderville: 299, Move to NC (1989): 280, Closer to 200 than 300: 249, More to Come....

Last edited by betsy2013 : 10-25-2013 at 12:53 PM.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #423
Sue finding inner song

Betsy.. I am so sorry about your sister and your loss of a love in your life too. My memories of my sister keep her in my mind and sometimes (I swear) I smell cigarette smoke in my house (she smoked... but then so did my Grandmother).. and I wonder if she is visiting and saying hello.

You said it perfectly.. about being the nurturers and the givers ... I thank you for putting is so perfect.. I know that there are 2 kinds in this world.. I just seem to attract the takers and the more narcisistic people in my life and because I like them.. I try and forget the unevenness of our friendship... Sometimes it does "get" to me lol I wonder if it is how I was brought up? ( I had troubled parents) ahhhh Good things to talk to a counselor someday But it is so helpful and nice to meet someone who feels and understands alittle of what I feel I thank you!

Well... I found the darn Halloween candy AGAIN... (had a small pitty party in my head last night)... So I sobataged my losing streak... But I realized what I did and stuffed that candy BACK into the WAY BACK fridge and made it a job to try and get at it. I have to get the blinders right back on and go forward.

Betsy and all... I hope you have a wonderful and a "Friday" type FRIDAY! and if you are outside over the weekend, that the sun shines on you and you smile!

Mini Goal 10% off (289) 4/14/13 #2 50lbs (270) 6/18/13 # 3 1/2 way (240) 1/18/14 #4 100lbs (220) 6/5/14 #5 (199)

1 for every 10 lbs lost

to Lothlorien 920 miles
Old 10-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #424

Sue, I agree that everything in life seems to go better if we feel we're not alone and someone else understands where we're coming from. Even if it's only one person. I frequently think that my sister is looking down and probably laughing hysterically at something -- she and I laughed a LOT at each other in a shared sense of humor way. I do miss her, but I know that I was so lucky to have such a close bond with her.

I found the Halloween candy last night, too. When I bought it, my first thought was to hide it.....a little hard to do when I'm the one hiding. My grands are here this weekend so some of it will undoubtedly get eaten then and if there's any left, I'm going to put it in the freezer and maybe allow myself one piece every week (they're those little miniature candy bars). I have a bad habit of buying the kind of candy I like -- should get some of the stuff I don't!

Off to the gym and then I need to get a set of bunk beds I bought cleaned up so they can be assembled this weekend. Lots of stickers and several pieces of gum and I just want to make sure I get them washed down well. I'm beginning to see the end in sight with all of this getting ready for winter stuff (and still catching up from not doing enough yard work for the last five years). It's kind of nice to feel as though I'm seeing the end of the line as opposed to having a list so long that I could trip over it.

Mini Goals: Move Here Weight (2005): 344, Stop Smoking Weight (1997): 333, Mom Remarried (1990) 313, Twoderville: 299, Move to NC (1989): 280, Closer to 200 than 300: 249, More to Come....
Old 10-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #425
Sue finding inner song

Betsy... Oh I know what you mean about lists of things to do and how you just feel better knowing you are getting thru them (finishing tasks) and stepping back and looking at what you have done and know you accomplished that "thing" (I have alot of weeds) and I swear... yard work is symbolic for weight loss... if you think about it.. it really is a daily thing to maintain.. but also hard work to get it looking how you want the final "version" to look like... Those weeds that are pulled and battled with are just like our inner demons and little voice and memories of hurt and hrutful words that helped shape our "self" So look at you! You are working it both ways! I am working harder at the weight and physical strength than I am at the inner mind change (and my yard) so I know what I need to do!

Bunk beds.... Oh my sister and I had those when we were really young and we had a hard time deciding who wanted the top Bunk! LOL I think I always got the bottom (she was younger and a monkey I swear) but I got the BIG bed and the bigger room sooner

Ah... its a beautiful Sunday here in South Florida... It got down into the low 60's last night (love having doors and windows open!) and low 80's today... Just the most perfect weather!! good for weeding (well maybe next weekend LOL) but I do have to sweep my screened in porch and water and fertilize my orchids... I know that they need the attention.. they are telling me that!

Hugs to you Betsy and I wish you a wonderful Day!

1 for every 10 lbs lost

to Lothlorien 920 miles
Old 10-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #426

Hi Sue. We seem to be the only ones in the 50+ set to keep this thread going. I'm in the Northwest, about 20 miles from Mt. Rainier, so weatherwise we're heading into the rainy season. It's supposed to stay dry this week, so I need to get out there and finish up the yard work. Still lots of clean up to do. I loved your analogy of yard work is like dieting. Hadn't thought of it that way......and it explains why there's so much yard work to do. Evidently I need to adjust my thinking in both areas.

My family was here yesterday to help with getting the screens down and repaired off the back porch. We get bad wind storms during November and December, and they would blow the screens to smithereens if I left them up year round. Not constant wind, just bad storms rolling in off the ocean. The bunk beds did get assembled, and the older grand will get the upper. Both are little monkeys, so it doesn't really matter who sleeps where as long as they sleep!

I've got to head to the doctor so have a great day!

Old 10-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #427

S/C/G: 180/130/105

Height: 4ft. 7in.

Hello girls...I lost 2 lbs this last week so I am feeling positive and know I can lose the rest..I just cant seem to get my hubby re-motivated. We traveled so much this summer and regained some of what we lost the first time around..I know how hard it is to look dieting in the face when life throws so many curve balls our way. I am glad to have my Thai Chi every week as it helps me stay focused and grounded..anyone else ever try it?
nray111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #428
Sue finding inner song

Hello Nray... Glad to have you posting here with us!

Thai Chi.. I have never done that.. tho my Mom did years ago and loved it. I love the idea about it and it is good for the mind... I might have to find out a class on the weekends.. Can you do it once a week?

Me... doing well... (not scale wise grrr).. But I have a light bulb moment and a great day yesterday.... I have belonged to my local Astronomy Club for 25 years and have been the secretary/Vice Pres for 20 of those years and stepped away last year and then stopped going (was upset over a rotten comment).. so I went back to our meeting last night (I kinda feel like my guardian spirit was pushing me to go as I do like it)..so I went and got so many HELLOs from everyone and then 2 guys that I have gotten to know well (Pres and current VP who is also a bigtime atty) said... Wow you are looking good.. HOW MUCH weight have you lost? LOLOLOL floored me (I said LOTS lol) It felt so good to have guys tell me and ask me about my weight loss.. and to be told that I am looking great.. WWEEEEEEEE so it made my inner mind/soul HAPPY and lighter feeling... and then.. I lost 1.5 lbs of the weight that I had just gained - tho I had weight myself before the meeting and weighed more and expected a gain this morning.... SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO is there any corelation with feeling of (soul) happyness and losing weight?? Let me know if this situation has happened to you.. I am going to remember this again and see if the scale shows it when I get that feeling again!

1 for every 10 lbs lost

to Lothlorien 920 miles
Old 10-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #429

Sue, I thinks there's a huge correlation between being happy and losing weight. For me, it's just a matter of it's so much easier to stay on plan when I'm happy. Plus, when I'm happy, my focus is on what's making me happy so I don't focus on the food so much. Whether or not there's any scientific proof is beyond me. But I go with whatever seems to result in a weight loss.

Got to get to it. Lots of work to do today and I hear Toby is into something.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:47 AM   #430

S/C/G: 180/130/105

Height: 4ft. 7in.

We do Thai Chi almost daily but for sure you can do it once a week...we have seen greatly improved balance and more clarity of thinking..it really makes us focus..and we are able to put that to use in other areas of our lives!
nray111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:02 PM   #431
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/197/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to get back into the "I am putting all my effort into losing weight" stage I was in before.

I got to 179.x, went back up to 186 or 187 (didn't want to think about it) and have fought my way back down to 180.x. So, I'm still hanging in at 50 lbs down.

I survived the Halloween candy--DH hid the few remaining pieces of the things I like. The leftover (and unopened) licorice isn't a threat--it could be here forever and I wouldn't get into it. I got through without any candy--and I'll actually take the licorice to work tomorrow and put it out for others. (I don't eat sweets at work but I guess I'm willing to offer sabotaging opportunities to others) (Although two weeks ago, I brought in a big bowl of fruit, so I'm not all bad.)

My goals are pretty modest--20 lbs in the next 6 months. I want to be at 160 before our May vacation. (And if I am, I get to buy a bunch of new clothes before we go!) (interested in trip details? visit bethsblog.com)

You'll all be hearing from me more...

Special note:
wannaskipandlaugh and betsy, it's my brother's who is gone--it's been almost 3 years and it still grabs my chest and hurts sometimes. Siblings hold such a special incredible part in our lives, even when relationships are difficult. Here are warm thought to all of us who miss someone so special.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #432

So good to see other chicks in my age group -- I do think that we have some special challenges with making this commitment at our age. First, our bodies are just plain in some sort of rebellion about having any sort of metabolism. And second, our eating habits are now in the life long category. Hard to break those life long habits!

whereNray -- I have a friend who does Tai Chi, and he says the same thing -- much better balance and much better focus. I have been doing yoga for inflexible people, and it is helping. I think anything that gets us up and moving and bending those muscles and joints is good for us both mentally and physically.

Beth -- glad that you're trying to get re-dedicated. I'm trying to do the same thing, so I can certainly empathsize. Hope your hubby is able to get re-motivated with you -- having a partner trying to do the same things helps so much. And, yes, losing a sibling is such a life changing event. I'm just thankful that we were close and that I have no regrets about things left unsaid. My sister would be laughing now telling me that there's probably never been a day in my life where I left something unsaid.......and she would be right.

It's supposed to start raining this afternoon for the next two days, so I'm going to get the two patios cleaned up for the winter. Take down the hanging baskets and the wind chimes and the bird feeders and and and. Hopefully, I'll have Sunday and Monday to work outside as well -- just a few more things to do, and then I can call it quits for the season. Have a great weekend.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #433
Struggling Dieter

Hi Everyone. I'm glad this thread has been brought back to life. Although I know everyone on this forum is reaching toward the same goal, weight loss, us over 50's have some different issues and it's good to be able to discuss these things.

I am the last one living of my immediate family. Parents and both brothers have gone. It's a strange feeling, but my in-laws have now become my family.

Beth, I like your new picture. You additional weight loss shows and it makes you look younger. Keep up the good work. I hope you're keeping all these pictures so you can chart your progress.

Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #434
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/197/175

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone,

I am back down at 50 lbs (plus a pound) down. I just finished a week of making good food choices.

Fortunately my whole family--husband and (all out of the house mostly) kids are really supportive. That DH hid the last few pieces of Halloween chocolate was the sort of thing he does--and he's capable of eating them one at a time (which I'm not).

He's down 25 lbs himself--and wants to be down another 10 before our cruise. I'm the motivator behind his change of habits--but just the fact that he's accepting and pleased to go along with it does make things so much easier!

We actually have a plan-free weekend--we went to a community theater production last night--but everything else is unplanned! Relaxation!

wannabehealthy, thanks for the compliment about my picture. It did seem time for a new one! I'm definitely keeping them all--looking at them side by side is a great motivator!

betsy: Enjoy your back yard time before it rains!

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 11-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #435

One of the reasons that I like this thread is that the recreational activities don't center around conversations about what to do about going to bars and how to avoid eating bar food and drinking too much. Nothing wrong with it, just past that stage of my life. Taking a cruise and having a free weekend that included going to the theater is something I can relate to.

Wannabe -- I totally relate to having lost your immediate family -- although in my case, my immediate family is gone as are all of my former in-laws. Fortunately, my BIL still lives across the street and my two nephews and their families have just switched the mothering role over to me. It's been a big change in my life, but one that I love.

Beth -- a supportive hubby is definitely a gift. Sounds like the two of you are going to be ready for that cruise!

Mainly chore type things to get done today and tomorrow is supposed to be sunny so that I can get the garden cleaned out and put to bed. I won't get everything done that I would have liked, but I'm a lot farther ahead than last year. The patio are both cleaned off, and the upper one really should be power washed, but I doubt if that gets done tomorrow. Oh well, it's not the end of the world. Have a great remainder of the weekend.

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.