Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #391  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

Great news, Cincorn. Tracking weight loss really helps to understand that our bodies need -- and will take -- time to adjust. Then it's off to the races again. My weight loss has been similar only if I were graphing it, there would be some serious upward movement from weight gains when I went a little haywire (ok, a lot haywire!).

I think I am getting back in the game mentally and for me that's 99 percent of the battle.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #392  
Scood

S/C/G: 71.4 kilos

Height: 5.2. Ft

I have found that situation with friends before , that's why I decided to keep what I was doing a secret. They dont actually take any notice if ive got a glass of wine in my hand, still red like merlot but 3/4 water or soda

I can have fun without drinking, but I look the part on hols. Ive learnt that the hard way, we did a holiday at the wineries it was a nightmare because my friends would all do the " go on your on holidays"

I know it's up to me but I'd think, oh well!! worry about it when I get home. I was unhappy worrying I was packing on the pounds. That's how come I came up with that strategy which makes me happy. They haven't got a clue because I'm eating and drinking.

It takes the pressure off me, and it seems to give me permission to do both, and break out if I want to

Scood.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #393  

S/C/G: 250/240/160

Height: 5'5

Hi Rhonda,
I'm 54 and have been watching what I eat since August 12. I've lost 7 pounds and am very excited. I haven't exercised yet. I have plantar's fasciitis (sp?) and that has brought on all kinds of walking problems over the last year. Overall though, I have felt so much better since beginning my weight loss effort because I'm not eating greasy, doughy foods. Fruit and vegetables taste so good when I think about how much better I feel if I eat them instead of ribs and pizza.

You can do it and I'll be glad to cheer you on.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #394  

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsy2013 View Post
I think I am getting back in the game mentally and for me that's 99 percent of the battle.
This is me! If I can determine to be successful in my mind, I can lose weight. The really hard part for me, and this will come as no surprise to many here, is keeping the weight off. I have a long way to go before I have to worry about maintenance though.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #395  

Rytre, I don't know if this will help you, but I had horrible plantar fasciitis last year right before I was going on a long trip that would require a lot of walking. I bought some shoes through Amazon made by Orthaheel that are specifically designed for people with plantar fasciitis. I'm sure there are other brands -- not trying to shill here for the Orthaheel brand -- but the main thing is that as far as I'm concerned, they are a gift from the gods! They also have orthotics that they sell that I can put inside my regular shoes. It cleared up the problems quickly (within a week) and made my vacation a success.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #396  

Betsy, Thanks so much for the recommendation. I often order shoes online and am a big amazon.com fan, so I ordered a pair right away. They're supposed to be in tomorrow, and I can't wait for some relief. I'm a big shoe fan because no matter what I weigh, I always wear the same size. Unfortunately, plantar's fasciitis and swelling have prevented me from wearing cute shoes for almost a year now. Swelling and having to take diuretics are two of the main reasons I'm reassessing my daily habits and trying to become more healthy. I'm only 54 and I have so many things I want to do in the future. Life is beautiful and I want to enjoy it to the max.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #397  

Rytre, hope they work as well for you as they did for me. And I'm with you (although about 10 years older!), there are too many things I still want to do to be stuck in the house not able to do anything. I figure it's never too late to get things turned around.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #398  

Default Need Help!

I am new to this type of support / program and really don't even know where to begin. I'm over 50, am extremely overweight (350+) and depressed, and have systematically withdrawn from all of my friends and most of my family due to my weight issues. I have been overweight my entire life and about 20 years ago was successful in losing 150+ lbs. I attribute my prior weight loss mostly to exercise (walking) and a very limited diet. Needless to say I'm here because I've gained the weight back, am 20 years older and can no longer walk any distance. I have a lot of back pain and cannot walk or stand for any length of time. I cannot get motivated to start and have no one to turn to. Can anyone recommend a piece of exercise equipment that someone with my limited physical ability could utilize?
Old 09-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #399  
Darlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanteH View Post
I am new to this type of support / program and really don't even know where to begin....Can anyone recommend a piece of exercise equipment that someone with my limited physical ability could utilize?
I can relate, Tante. It just looks impossible, doesn't it?

As for equipment...you've already said that walking worked for you in the past. Have you tried Leslie Sansome's walking videos?

You can do that right in your own living room...or where ever you want. And at your own pace. Just because it's a 30-minute video, doesn't mean you can't stop it when you need to and take a break.

Or, you can start the video, over and over, as many times as you need to...just working through the "warm up" period. I actually think that might be a better idea for what you're looking for.

Blessings to you! Don't give up!
Old 09-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #400  

Welcome TanteH and GeorgiaBornNBred (that may get shortened to Georgia if that's ok with you). This is a great site for getting support, ideas, and commiserating with friends who are in the same boat.

TanteH -- If you feel you can do some of the exercises, I think that Georgia's ideas are great. Don't know if you can use a recumbent bike, but that's good to have. I also have a friend who ordered this sort of mini-cycle that fit on the floor or a table. You sat in a chair and pedaled or sat at a table and pedaled with your arms. Also, it's ok to not do exercise at first. Focus on getting on an eating plan initially and then gradually add in exercise. I know if I try to do too much at once that I'm just setting myself up to fail so I've accepted that I need to make something a habit and then add in other components of an overall healthy way of living. The good news is that you've lost 150 pounds before so you know you can do this. And you've got us here to cheer you on!

Off to the gym -- I'm feel revitalized this morning and am actually looking forward to working out. Never thought I'd "hear" those words come out of my mouth!
Old 09-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #401  

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsy2013 View Post
Rytre, I don't know if this will help you, but I had horrible plantar fasciitis last year right before I was going on a long trip that would require a lot of walking. I bought some shoes through Amazon made by Orthaheel that are specifically designed for people with plantar fasciitis. I'm sure there are other brands -- not trying to shill here for the Orthaheel brand -- but the main thing is that as far as I'm concerned, they are a gift from the gods! They also have orthotics that they sell that I can put inside my regular shoes. It cleared up the problems quickly (within a week) and made my vacation a success.
Betsy,
Today was the third day I've worn my new shoes and I've been walking without pain except in my right heel. It's been a big improvement and I look for pain-free days soon! Thank you for taking the time to tell me about your experience.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #402  

S/C/G: 185/177/145

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Hi all. I've been looking for an 'active' group of folks that understand the challenges of losing weight, particularly over 50. I started a program with Metabolic Research Center on 8/30. I did this because I'm so easily persuaded to eat foods I shouldn't, so with this program I have to check in twice per week and it keeps me honest. I'm down 6 lbs so far. I began with 45 to lose and they have set a target date of 1/5/14 for me to reach that. And I will. I've been reading through your post and love this forum, so I hope you don't mind if I hang around and visit with you all
Old 09-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #403  

Rytre -- so glad that the shoes seem to be helping. It makes a huge difference to be able to actually walk without that level of pain. Hope within a few more days you're totally pain free.

Marlaj3 -- Welcome and of course we love having you post with us. There are a lot of challenges to losing weight, but being in the 50+ category adds a few extra twists.....some of them funny, some frustrating beyond words. Just helps to have company on a journey.

I got lots done around the house yesterday and plan on continuing the trend today with some concentrated yard work. The nurseries always have their end of year sales now, so I've got lots of plants to get in the ground. Rainy season starts soon, and plants get a good start with being in the ground during the winter. I think all of these fix up projects I've got going on will take me a couple of years. Oh well......
Old 09-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #404  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

I have been gone so long from this thread.... I see so many people who have come and gone and I hope that that means you are shedding the lbs.

Funny... I used to be the only one in this thread for more than a month in May-June I think and just talked my own ear off

I just wanted to post here again as I wanted to work thru my troubles with 1. my lying scale.. (off by 14 lbs grrr) and 2. My need to snack on things that are derailing me and 3. start being more positive and a better mind frame to lose this weight and stop the stall (been 4+ weeks being in the same 2 lbs up/down.

So.. I have stopped eating the snacks and I have walked outside for 2.5 miles (humid Florida - but the rain is gone).. I need to do this 3X's a week at least., My goal will be to do that and check in ...(needs to be 2.5 miles at a pop each time)

Week of 9/22 - 1 so far and starting weight 256

Last edited by wannaskipandlaugh; 09-25-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #405  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

It's been a month since I checked in here. Plugging right along. Progress is mixed.

No weight loss on the scale. However, I've increased my exercise, a lot, and all my clothes are starting to get looser. This makes me happy!

I guess I should think about cutting back on calories. When I cut too much, it all falls apart, so at first I'm going to focus on maintaining at just 100 calories below RMR. In the past, I have struggled with sticking to a reduction in calories, mostly because I'm terribly inconsistent. I am emotionally fueled by steady progress on the scale, and after a week of cutting calories by 500 per day, and seeing a loss of 3 to 5 lbs. I get very excited. And scared. And then disappointed the following week because I've fudged the numbers, etc.

What I am succeeding at is maintaining my current weight. So I think a slow nudge downward with calories is doable.

We'll see how well I do for the coming week. I'm leaving for a week, starting Friday. Personal holiday! Hoping to stay on top of the diet and exercise, at least.

Take care, ladies!
Closed Thread