3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > Age 50+

Losing weight at 50

Old 08-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #376

S/C/G: HW:276 Restart 242.6/162.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Betsy - Good for you for getting back on track. It is good if exercise gets you motivated to keep on plan. You can do it - we all suffer setbacks, but getting back in the game is soo much better than giving up.

I have been obsessing with trying to get rid of a whole crap load of water weight - I have no idea where it came from or why, but it has really gotten me down. I must have really overdone the salt at some point, but can't think of when.

Anyhow, I have finished 2 litres of water today, and should be done a third before too long. Official weigh day is Tuesday, so keeping my fingers crossed (even though they are puffy little sausage fingers), and just sticking to plan as best I can.

Hope it is a good week for all
Jude
jollyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #377
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Jude, I have found that drinking dandelion tea, eating dandelions, and eating asparagus, cucumbers and watermelon all have helped me with my little sausage fingers and kankles. Also, when I spend a couple days really cutting starchy carbs out of my diet.

I have been in bed for most of the last four days. Stomach flu. Today I let my son drive me around so I could get out of the house and get something to eat. I finally don't feel queasy, and was actually quite hungry for lunch. I got a bowl of vegetable soup and a lemonade and my tummy is happy, although it's making rumbling noises, like a summer thunderstorm coming in.

Normally I keep starchy carbs to nearly zero, but today feels like a carb re-feed day. That soup I had was from Boudin, and it came in a sourdough bread bowl. I had sugar in my lemonade. And in the iced tea I had earlier in the day. After four days eating under 1000 calories, I felt depleted on so many levels, especially mentally. I think I needed some quick-acting carbs to brighten up my brain somewhat.

And despite my very low calories, from which I expected a HUGE loss (another indicator that brain function was LOW), I managed to drop 3 lbs. My 16-yr-old son, who had the same flu for a shorter duration, and broke his fast with a PIZZA!...He lost 6 lbs.!

I will not get into a period of feeling sorry for myself and consoling myself with food. I am going to reap the benefits of a shrunken stomach and move forward with the ambition of not gaining any of the 3 lbs. back. Just happy to be up and about!

Last edited by geoblewis : 08-18-2013 at 06:02 PM.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #378
Fall 7 times, stand up 8

S/C/G: 248/tracker/158

211.2 this morning. That's 5.4# for the month of august thus far...hoping for a 2-3 more lb.s to finish the month of august up strong!

Betsy - Yes, definitiely! Getting out of routine and missing my exercise makes a big difference in my motivation and state of mind. It's much easier to get off plan when I don't work out. I'm not going to get to the gym today or tomorrow because I'm taking care of grandkids and I'm feeling anxious because of it! Now that you are back on track that weight will FALL OFF! I bet a lot of it's fluid because of how fast you gained it!

Georgia - So sorry you've been sick. I hope you feel better soon. When I was in hospital unable to eat or drink anything for 5 days except ice chips I lost a total of 4 lbs.! I also expected it to be more, however it seemed like a kick start as I continue to lose weight at a faster clip than before being sick!

Jude - I agree with Georgia on the dandelion tea being a natural diuretic! Go for it! Elderberries are also a powerful diuretic but I haven't a clue where to get them. Maybe there is an elderberry tea you can buy?

Here is some for all of us! And a big

mini goals: 25# lost: met 7-10-13
Onederland: 10-3-13
from obese to overweight: 191# 11-20-13
size 12: February 2014
Size 10:
cincorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #379

Georgia - Hope you are feeling much better, and a 3 lb. loss is GOOD. I think sometimes the weight loss is less if the calories are too low.
Oh to have the metabolism of a 16 yr.old, though. I have a 32 yr old son that loses weight by shaking his head no to a 4th helping!!!
Thank you for the tip on dandelion tea - I don't have any but will go today to pick some up. I am trying some fennel tea this morning, as that is what I have on hand. Also have 3 cucumbers in the fridge.

Cincorn - Wow, your weight has been really steadily moving downward - such an inspiration!
I am going to try dandelion tea, and I am pretty sure I can get some elderberry tea from the European shop down the road. I will try them - I know when I was in Switzerland, elderberry products were very common

I went off plan last night - I was frustrated and in a "poor me" mood, so I caved and had some popcorn and a few other things loaded with carbs. Did I ever feel angry with myself afterwards Luckily I didn't have very much in the house, and my little spree was short lived. Back on track today, and in a much more positive mood.

Have a good Monday, everyone,
Jude

Restart March 8/14
Old 08-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #380
Renaissance Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincorn View Post
...it seemed like a kick start as I continue to lose weight at a faster clip than before being sick!
That seems to be what's going on for me. Another 2-lb. loss as of this morning! But I can tell I've been sick and am low on certain nutrients. This morning I gave in to an intense craving for potatoes. I guess I was low on potassium due to my stomach thingy. I ate 1.5 of them made into hashbrowns with my eggs this morning. And to be balanced, I also ate a big portion of sautéed power greens. I had about 900 calories! I was feeling rather hypo. I'm still a little jittery, but I'm full so I've stopped eating and I'm letting the potatoes hit my blood stream. Maybe I'll go back to bed after I've done all my emails.

If I eat anything else later today, it'll be protein and veggies! I still have to go in to work this afternoon, and while I'm no longer contagious, I feel really weak. So no workout today.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #381

S/C/G: 396/348/160

Good morning all.

Jollyjude -- Sounds like once the whoosh hits that you're going to lost a whole bunch fast. Have you found that there's about a two day delay between putting on the water weight and then having it whoosh off?

Georgia -- Sounds like you've been through the wringer and having a 16 year old drop more weight is just not fair. I'm sure that you're body is craving things to try to get back in a stable situation. I think I read some place that if you wait 15 minutes, a craving will pass. If it hasn't, then your body is trying to tell you that it NEEDS it. I eat bananas and tomatoes for potassium as well. Hope you're able to get through the afternoon of working.

Cincorn -- if you're having the grandkids there, I doubt if you'll miss the gym. And thank you for the will power dust....hope some of it traveled down the Internet and into my tummy!

Off to the gym this morning and then work on the yard some more. I've got to water everything as we're having a dry summer. There are more tomatoes to be picked and the pole beans are beginning to come in. Between the garden and what I get from the produce share I buy from our Coop, I've definitely got enough fresh fruits and veggies on hand to make sure that I don't get hungry. Yesterday was better with sticking on plan and today will be even better. I am not going to give up and I will conquer this. I feel like Helen Reddy's old "I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar" song should be playing in the background.

Mini Goals: Move Here Weight (2005): 344, Stop Smoking Weight (1997): 333, Mom Remarried (1990) 313, Twoderville: 299, Move to NC (1989): 280, Closer to 200 than 300: 249, More to Come....
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #382

Hello all,
Well yesterday was official weigh day for me, and I was not happy - 220! Up 4 lbs, but it was kind of expected with all the water I have been carrying.
Brewed up a pot of dandelion tea yesterday, and am down 2 lbs. this morning
Have just made another pot of tea - I am going to get my hair cut at noon, and I hope I can sit through the appointment, it seems to work really fast. I can almost see my ankle bones again, and could make a fist this morning.
I will weigh again tomorrow morning, and update my ticker then. Thanks all for the tips on how to get rid of the water, I was starting to get worried, as I was like that for over a week.

Betsy - We are the exact opposite here. We have had such a wet year that it is difficult to get out in the garden. Just starts to dry out enough and we get another horrendous thunderstorm. The rain is bad enough, but we get marble sized hail bashing down everything as well.

Cincorn - I have no doubt that you can make your goal this month - YAY

Restart March 8/14
Old 08-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #383
Scood

S/C/G: 71.4 kilos

Height: 5.2. Ft

I'm really pleased Im staying on track, had a few set backs but I am managing to let it go and move forward again. I'm sticking to 1200 calories a day,eating really healthy and I am really pleased my efforts are paying off

We are going on holidays soon, which will be a bit hard because we are going to Brazil, it will really be different because I don't know the food

We have been to quite a few countries and the food has been very questionable at times. I always have a good brekki at the resorts then play it by ear for the rest of the day

Ill just have to see when we get there and try and choose wisely. I'm sure there will have dishes I can see would be better than others, if in doubt I pick rice

Scood

Last edited by scood : 08-21-2013 at 10:52 PM.
scood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #384

The whoosh has happened -- down 5 pounds in two days.

Scood, your travels sound marvelous, and what a trouper to try to figure out ways to continue to eat healthy.

My BIL and I went up to Mt. Rainier yesterday -- what a wonderful gift to live 20 miles away from such majesty. Had a great day, got my exercise walking around, and enjoyed a picnic in an alpine setting. I do so love retirement.

Mini Goals: Move Here Weight (2005): 344, Stop Smoking Weight (1997): 333, Mom Remarried (1990) 313, Twoderville: 299, Move to NC (1989): 280, Closer to 200 than 300: 249, More to Come....
Old 08-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #385
Scood

S/C/G: 71.4 kilos

Height: 5.2. Ft

Betsy2013

On holidays I don't know the food so Im really going blind and usually just order whatever looks ok, because Im pretty determined this time I will just have to stop and think and remember my goal

I don't tell my friends I'm dieting because they do the "oh your on holidays " we have a few drinks every night on hols, so I don't say anything and Ill put soda and sometimes water in my drink and they don't know.

People seem to sabotage when you are really trying so I don't make it obvious what I'm eating or drinking. That way they don't seem to notice everything I eat and drink and say " I thought you were dieting"

I feel like carting my 3fatchicks forum around, so when I got into trouble someone could say I'm here. That would be to much trouble on holidays

Last holiday I came back the same but we went to the Philippines, so kept to rice dishes, I was feeling pretty pleased because the ones that were trying to get me to break my diet all put on weight, and my husband doesn't diet which he should for his health.

It's like the devil takes over and you eventually break, then Im unhappy about it

Scood.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #386

Scood, it does sound as though you've come up with some very thoughtful and good strategies for staying on tracking when you're traveling. One of the reasons that I bought an RV a few years ago is to be able to cook my own meals -- although there are definitely still nights out. Of course, it's a little hard to take an RV to all the exotic places where you travel!

And I totally understand what you mean about not telling your friends that you're dieting -- seems like way too often you end up in a conversation that you'd rather not be having.

I'll be looking forward to your food reports from your Brazil trip -- always interesting to test other cuisines and compare them to our own.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #387
Struggling Dieter

Hello everyone! I'm new to this thread, but not new to 3FC. I recognize a few names here that I've posted with on other threads. I am 67, married, and need to follow low carb due to type II diabetes. Other than that, I don't follow any particular diet plan. I have trouble with any diet that eliminates any food, other than the fact that I know I have to limit starchy carbs. I lost before by eating all foods, but in small quantities. That way I never feel as if I cheated. I am very lucky that I have never liked sweets. I love chocolate candy, but only eat it as an occasional treat. DH always had lots of baked good in the house but it never tempts me. My problem is and has always been portions. My plan is to put on my plate what I feel is a normal portion and stop after I eat that. Overeating is a very hard habit to break.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone, and getting and giving support.

Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #388
Struggling Dieter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scood View Post
Betsy2013

On holidays I don't know the food so Im really going blind and usually just order whatever looks ok, because Im pretty determined this time I will just have to stop and think and remember my goal

I don't tell my friends I'm dieting because they do the "oh your on holidays " we have a few drinks every night on hols, so I don't say anything and Ill put soda and sometimes water in my drink and they don't know.

People seem to sabotage when you are really trying so I don't make it obvious what I'm eating or drinking. That way they don't seem to notice everything I eat and drink and say " I thought you were dieting"

I feel like carting my 3fatchicks forum around, so when I got into trouble someone could say I'm here. That would be to much trouble on holidays

Last holiday I came back the same but we went to the Philippines, so kept to rice dishes, I was feeling pretty pleased because the ones that were trying to get me to break my diet all put on weight, and my husband doesn't diet which he should for his health.

It's like the devil takes over and you eventually break, then Im unhappy about it

Scood.
I know what you're saying about people policing what you eat. It's very annoying, especially since my plan is to eat all foods, but in moderation. If I succeed or not is up to me, not for them to decide. The best motivator for a dieter is to receive positive feedback, not negativity.

Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #389
Renaissance Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
The best motivator for a dieter is to receive positive feedback, not negativity.
Truer words were never spoken! All my success has been motivated by loving, tender support. It's why I'm still succeeding and working at this, even though it's taking me a very long time to get to goal. Well, actually, the goal is to achieve optimum wellness, and that can happen all along my path.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #390
Fall 7 times, stand up 8

S/C/G: 248/tracker/158

Good morning lovely ladies!

208.0 this morning!

I have been looking back on the journey I started on April 8th and there certainly have been some ups and downs! I think it's made me stronger and hopefully more able to keep the weight off when I do reach goal!

In April I lost 15 lb.s!
In May I lost 3 lb.s
In June I lost 4 lb.s
In July I lost 9 lb.s!
In August I've lost 9 lb.s!

I was doing the same thing the whole time! Staying on plan and working out at the gym! I guess persistence and hard work do pay off eventually!

I hope you all have a great day! I'm off to the gym.

mini goals: 25# lost: met 7-10-13
Onederland: 10-3-13
from obese to overweight: 191# 11-20-13
size 12: February 2014
Size 10:
cincorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.