Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #346  
Scood

S/C/G: 71.4 kilos

Height: 5.2. Ft

I am 65 next month, I always seem to be dieting. My husband never diets, seems to be able to eat anything. I don't like to give in to age. I like being my age and try to look tidy, still wear makeup, and keep active.

I have a very physical job, which you would think the weight would just fall off. But no it doesn't, follow me everywhere

I hate being over weight I don't have anyone to diet with, so I seem to give in after awhile, what do you ladies do to stay motivated

Scood
Old 07-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #347  
Fall 7 times, stand up 8

S/C/G: 248/tracker/158

Height: 5'7"

Good morning to all of you lovely ladies and especially the newbies on this board. You will find a lot of support for your weight loss journey here. We are all at different stages but all facing the same trials and temptations. Since this is an over 50 thread, many of us have struggled for years and years with our weight. You know what's worse than that? Not struggling---giving up. I did that for a year and gained over 50 lb.s! NO! Keep struggling. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.

Someone asked about motivation. Go to the success stories where people have met their goal and be amazed but also think to yourself. This can be me. If they can do it so can I!

I'm at 219.6 this morning chicks. Not surprised since I still don't have an appetite.

Here is some for everyone. I think we need it!
Old 07-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #348  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Good morning all. Hope that everyone has something fun planned for the weekend!

Welcome to the newbies -- I'm just ditto what Cincorn said -- this is a great place to get the support needed for your journey.

Cincorn -- glad to see you posting, but sorry you still don't feel well. Glad the weight is coming off, but what a way to lose it. Hope that you start to feel better soon.

The family is coming to my house tomorrow to celebrate my nephew's birthday and graduation (he's 37......finally finding his way!). I cleaned yesterday, will finish up a couple of the back rooms today just because they haven't been dusted in a while, cook the food, decorate the cake and spend the afternoon in the garden. Tomorrow will be the challenge as I am making everyone's favorites, but if I eat sensibly and limit portion sizes, I should be fine. Enjoy your weekend!
Old 07-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #349  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Just checking in to share some news with you all 50+ gals. Evidence that weight training is good for us! I had my second DEXA scan done (first one was 4 months ago) and I put on 3 lbs. of muscle and 2 lbs. of bone.

I haven't really cut a lot of calories (I eat pretty well, very healthy meats and fats and lots of organic veggies), but I do greatly restrict where I get my carbs (no grains, legumes, fruits, sugar). I struggle with cutting calories and can't seem to consistently eat less than my TDEE (at a sedentary state) for the day.

The technician was very impressed with my results. She told me to stay on track with how I was eating and to keep up with my level of exercise (five days a week, Pilates/cardio/TRX/weight training). She said that she's seen people who built muscle like I have to finally see a lost in body fat after staying consistent with the exercise for six months.

I can keep up with this level of exercise, so that new was so hopeful to me! I'm not going to start starving myself, because that only leads to muscle loss. And I'll be a pretty muscled old lady with great bones!
Old 07-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #350  
BBP

S/C/G: 225/ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Hi all, and welcome newbies,
Cincorn, I hope you are starting to feel better. my thoughts are with you.
Since being turned down for the job, I have sort of been reinventing myself. My husband and I had a good chat, and he told me he actually does not want me to go back full time. Apparently I did not want to either. I was freaking out over the idea. (I have been part time for almost three years). So anyway, I have been much more relaxed, and motivated to finally get rid of these pounds, so here I go again! IF from 6pm to 10 am, no refined sugar(not hard for me), lean protein, veggies, and some fruit (I can't say no to the seasonal fruits right now...too delicious!!!). The hard part for me is the exercise, but I need to do it so that I can sleep at night.
Hopefully I can stay on track this time...I have been starting over a lot lately
Old 07-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #351  
BBP

By the way Martha, way to go on the muscle gain! I will start up again, if it makes that much difference!! I am impressed!
Old 07-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #352  

Georgia -- WOW! Your muscle gain is really impressive and it sounds like you've really got your act together. It does feel wonderful to be making such strides at our age!

BBP -- Your decision to stick with part time work sounds like it has lifted a big load off your shoulders -- good for you. Sometimes, something not coming through really does turn out to be so much better for us.

This was a bad weekend for eating as there were two big family celebrations. But, I'm going to try to do a week without watching the scale and without tracking every morsel on MFP. I think I just need a break. So, I'm going to eat in a healthy manner, but without making it the focus of my life. I'll be posting this week, but am hitting the road next week.......we'll see how all this exercise and yoga does with hiking some trails!
Old 07-30-2013, 02:10 AM   #353  
Renaissance Woman

Oh Betsy You're so funny! I do NOT have my act together! I am blessed with a trainer who is such a loving and gentle BULLDOG and who won't let me slack off, EVER! Why, just today, after a full five hours of being on my feet volunteering for a church event that required stamina, I was exhausted. When I got to work (the fitness studio), I was complaining about my lower back, my knees, the fatigue... She said, "I can't talk now. Put your socks and shoes on. I really need you out on the floor!" And then she coached me through squat progressions, helped me stretch out my feet, calves, hamstrings, lower back, etc. Then she made me lift more weights than everyone else (because she wasn't making me get on the floor like everyone else). And after an hour of this abuse, she said, "I missed you all weekend! I have such plans for you!" How can I possibly weasel out of exercising when she's my trainer!?

Last edited by geoblewis; 07-30-2013 at 02:11 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #354  

Now, Georgia, the fact that you a) have a trainer and b) allow your trainer to push you around tells me that you do have your act together. You just have someone helping you hold it together. That's what I need right now. Someone with a whip. I'm all over the place with eating, have gained 11 pounds in 4 days (and they say that's not possible), and will end up taking two weeks to get it off again. I wonder if I could get a home trainer......someone who will slap my hands when I have stuff I know I shouldn't be eating.

So, just know that in my eyes, you've got it together.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #355  
Renaissance Woman

Betsy, you know a lot of that is water, right? When I go off my low-carb focus, my fingers get all sausage-like and I have the worst kankles! And it does take time to get my head back in the game and eating right. And time for my body to let it go.

I like that you're taking a break from the tracking. Sometimes, we just need a vacation from it all!
Old 07-30-2013, 11:32 PM   #356  
BBP

ha! I love the idea of a home trainer to slap my hands when I reach for food...
Betsy, you have not gained 11 pounds of fat. It is water, but it will still take a little while to dissipate.
I worked with a trainer for a few months, but it was so expensive, and she charged me even when I could not make it due to work related issues, so I ended up wasting alot of money. If I could find someone a little less expensive I would do it again. For now I am going it on my own. I do learn a lot from her.I have been very diligent for a week and I can't notice a thing yet. I know that one of these mornings I will wake up and feel slightly smaller in my middle, but it has not happened yet. This aging crap is for the birds.
I started watching Glee on netflix. I needed to find a replacement for Madmen...not as good, but I can only watch Madmen reruns so many times before I start to look pretty obsessed, which I am
have a nice evening everyone. The hardest hour is coming up...hour before bed.

Last edited by BBP; 07-30-2013 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-31-2013, 11:21 AM   #357  

Georgia and BBP -- first, thanks for offering encouragement and helping me remember that I'm just a big water balloon right now. And I do know that it will come off. Just wish that in addition to the trainer slapping my hands, we had a little plug we could pull out and the water weight would gush out. Oh wait. We do. It's why I'll be only doing things that allow me to be close to a bathroom for the next few days.

Today is yoga day and I need to take a walk and I'm still working on reclaiming my yard and I need to repack my backpack so I can see what I actually have in the thing and doing the monthly bookkeeping and and and.

Garnet, I laughed about watching Glee instead of Madmen. I've gotten hooked on Justified.......had never heard of Timothy Olyphant, but love the show and he's gorgeous. I get hooked on certain shows, too, and then watch them endlessly.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #358  
Renaissance Woman

Currently obsessed with Longmire! And The Killing. And H*** on Wheels. OMG! I am like a school girl over Anson Mount!

Last edited by geoblewis; 07-31-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #359  

I know what you mean, Georgia. Then I figure it's a good sign that we're still looking and craving -- especially if it's something (someone!) that's not food related!

Got 3 pounds of water weight off yesterday and am going to stick with this eating plan until we leave on the camping trip next week. Still mad at myself!

Off to the gym. Guess I'll be doing inside stuff today as we're having our first rain in a month.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #360  
Fall 7 times, stand up 8

S/C/G: 248/tracker/158

I'm back from camping with my grandkids. Wow, did that trip wear me out. Of course we went only 6 days after I got out of the hospital! Georgia and Betsy, I LOVE, LOVE reading your posts. I'm surprised but I'm still losing, even after not being perfect on the camping trip.

I changed from a low-carb to a low-fat approach on the advise of my doctor. I'm drinking lots of green smoothies and trying to get my strength back.

216.6 today!
Closed Thread