Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #211  
Susan

S/C/G: 200/170/130

Height: 5' 5"

Hi Muse: So sorry to hear about the troubles with your partner. I just can't imagine having a partner for that long. I was married for all of a year, although we lived together for four years before that...and my ex-husband is my longest relationship! Many years ago, I worried about the fact that I was single, but I looked around and came to the conclusion that I was just as happy as all of my married friends, so what was I worried about. Since I stopped focusing on whether or not I had a partner, and just focused on enjoying life, I've been a lot less stressed and a lot happier. I hope you find your way to a place that works for you.

The scales moved this morning, all the way down to 172.75...yeah! It's about time! I won't change my ticker until I see whether or not this sticks, but I'm hoping it will. As for doing that much exercise and not eating much, I normally don't and can't...but as hungry as I was, the pain of eating was worse. On the plus side, my mouth is feeling a lot better this morning. Today, I must clean my house and run some errands.

This is a long weekend in Canada: Victoria Day. Since it's in honour of Queen Victoria, I would have thought it might be celebrated in the U.K. too, although I don't recall. Is it?
Old 05-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #212  

S/C/G: S196/C193/G154

Height: 5 ft. 6 inches

Default Hello & troublesome men

Hello Tuscanny

Congratulations you worked very hard and are getting results. I am just cooking some carrot soup for lunch.
I have not been "with" this partner for 34 years but our last stretch of continuous relationship has been about ten years but I am kind of OK. I just asked him for a "trial separation" , I was angry and then in tears but hey I'm only human.
I have a lovely son from another relationship, who I am so proud of and my own rented flat, but struggling to keep it right now due to finances.
Anyway congratulations on your weight loss and I hope you have a good weekend. I think you have maybe ignited my competitive streak ( in a friendly way) and now I will be trying a little harder to shift those pounds.
Sorry to hear that your mouth/teeth are hurting and hope it feels better. Thanks for the tip about being single. Whenever I am happy and single men seem to flock, more now than when I was younger. But in my current situation was very stressful, I think I will be a lot less stressed as well and thank you for being so kind.
Being single means I will have less commitments and might be able to get a creative career together, because relationships are draining!
XX ( P.S. we don't celebrate Victoria day and the Royal family is mainly celebrated by tourists, us Brits see them as a bit of a drain on the economy better check my carrot soup now).

Last edited by Muse17; 05-18-2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: adding stuff
Old 05-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #213  

Hi Ladies - I feel this will be one of the more helpful threads since losing seems to be much more challenging now that I've reached a certain age There is SO much info to be found on this site I am becoming a bit overwhelmed.
Am hoping to see the same results as all of you.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #214  

Default Hello

Hello smcmod

Nice to see someone else joining, I'm not very successful so far but am enjoying this thread anyway. I also find the forum very overwhelming, like a big city,and have just stuck to this thread. Have a good day.
x
Old 05-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #215  
Fall 7 times, stand up 8

S/C/G: 248/tracker/158

Height: 5'7"

Good morning loveliest of ladies! Even though the scales remain uncooperative (Tuscany--I'm in the same position as you up a lb., down a lb. yo-yo for the last 3 weeks) I'm surprisingly optimistic today! I joined a local 24 hr. gym and went for the 1st time yesterday. Only one other lady there that I know and while she's not obese like me, she is overweight and in her 60's so I didn't feel "ashamed" at how pitiful my "workout" was. LOL! I did 12 min. on the treadmill at between 2.5 and 3.0 mph (mostly 3.0) then did the weight machines, didn't keep up with the reps. Well, I went back today and did 16 min. on the treadmill. and perhaps more reps on the machines.

I too understand relationship problems, mine is with an adult daughter who abandoned us, her family of mom, dad, sister, 4 years ago. It's painful when a daughter decides she just doesn't have any time for you and doesn't want you around anymore...and we were very close until 4 years ago, and she at age 30! She has histrionic personality disorder so I know she can't help some of the things she says and does but it's still painful. I sat around for the last few years, depressed and withdrawn. Mother's day was the final straw. I have decided to move on with my life, take care of myself and enjoy time with people who want to spend time with me like my poor long-suffering hubby and my other daughter. I'm feeling better than I have in 4 years!

Loooking forward to my weekly saturday night cheat, a low carb beer!

Have a wonderful weekend my lovelies.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #216  
Fall 7 times, stand up 8

good morning smcmod and welcome. I'm new here too. Sometimes it helps to know others are going through the same struggles as you. I am learning my way around these forums too. I subscribed to this thread and one for people who weigh in the same range as myself. Read some of the success stories of people who have met their goals with their pictures of before and after---very motivating!
Old 05-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #217  

Default Good work!

Hello Cincorn

Congratulations on your positive Gym experience. I am beginning to find exercise is making me feel good if I do just a bit of it although I had M.E./Chronic Fatigue syndrome for years and still have fibromyalgia and exercise induced asthma, so like you I have some challenges.
Instead of feeling like exercise is punishment it's nice to think of exercise as a release of stress, and a burst of feeling good and I can see why people get addicted to exercise.
I read your story a couple of times about your daughter and her family I am so sorry.My heart goes out to you and she is making a huge mistake and may make the same mistake many times, so you might as well look after yourself and try to find happiness and a new family of friends and others and hope that one day she or her husband or children will approach you. There must be others like you out there, many many of them.
I just looked a my old bicycle and was going to try and take it out, I had a bad accident a few year's ago and have not used it since, I now know why I had the accident , the back brake is completely broken.
Anyway all the best to you xx
Old 05-20-2013, 03:49 AM   #218  

Default New week , new life, new body

Hello everyone, if you are still here.

This weekend I totally failed at not watching TV and not using the internet but I did get some exercise and tried to eat less. But yesterday as I was out walking realised my vision wasn't too good. I went to sit down in a church and could see flashing lights in my right eye and was sweating and not feeling well. Then I kind of realised I had low blood sugar. I had my bank card with me thank God and had to go and eat ( I can't afford to eat out, but what the heck, I was nearly passing out). I had a small chicken salad, a fruit salad and a mint tea I don't think it harmed my efforts.
So far I haven't been following a diet, but as from yesterday afternoon I have decided to simply cut processed foods, sugar, and to not combine protein foods and starchy sweet foods, and use as little fat as possible when cooking, otherwise known as the Hay diet.
This morning I felt a bit slimmer. I haven't lost any weight at all but I lost an inch from my waist, probably bloating.
So I hope you are all doing well on your diets and exercise.
xx

Last edited by Muse17; 05-20-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #219  
Susan

S/C/G: 200/170/130

Height: 5' 5"

Hi Ladies and welcome to smcmod! Cincorn: I managed to get some movement on the scales, and I hope you did too.

Hi Muse: I'm still here. Yes, you have to be careful not to let yourself get too run down. I had a similar experience when I first started dieting. I was doing errands, felt dizzy, and realized I hadn't eaten in a while. Now, before I go out, I try to make sure I've eaten something or I take something with me...a protein bar, a piece of fruit or something similar. Good for you, losing an inch around the waist, even if it was bloating. Every inch gone is one less to get rid of! I hope your TV diet goes better this week.

I had a busy weekend, but I stuck to my diet. On Saturday, I did a 3.5 km walk, a 4 km bike ride, plus my workout. Yesterday, I did my workout and my walk in the morning. In the afternoon, I drove to my parents (about a 1.5 hour drive each way) and paid them a surprise visit. They were very happy to see me and it was a fun day. This morning, the scale co-operated again, declining to 172...yeah!

Well, I'm now off downstairs to do my upper body workout. My son (the PT) is coming to visit this afternoon, and he's going to help me with my form on some of my workout exercises.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #220  

Hello Tuscanny

You never seem to stop! Thanks for the advice, I was caught off guard it was only two hours after breakfast, but I'm sure it was low blood sugar, it happened to me regularly when I was following a diet before.
Well I hope all your exercises go well. I am finding it hard not to comfort eat, a few angry emails going on between myself and my now probably ex-partner.Nevermind I can focus on a new life and new positivity and hope that last bitter rows will end soon.
Take care x
Old 05-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #221  
Fall 7 times, stand up 8

I'm still here ladies!
I'm disappointed and frustrated; but I'm here. I gained another pound overnight for no apparent reason. I wen't shopping with my youngest daughter and walked my feet off trying to keep up with her! We did eat out at PeiWei and I had a cup of hot/sour soup and 2 thai spring salad rolls. I looked up the calorie count and got about 400 calories. That was my first meal of the day. I had a slice of swiss cheese and 3 olives for a snack. For supper I had the other half of my chopped salad from subway. I did drink another Michelob Ulta, 95 cal and 2.6 carb. I just don't get it.
However, I AM going to the gym today!
I'm going to the Cardiologist tomorrow and having some tests; have had symptoms of fatigue, tachycardia and hypertension. Took myself OFF the medication my primary physician had me on because I was unable to function on them. It was HCTZ, a diuretic, which I am sure is why I've gained weight this last couple of weeks. I'm having an echocardiagram, EKG, then seeing the doctor. Maybe he will put me on some medication that will help me without awful side effects!
It's getting harder to hang in there. It feels like I'm making sacrifices for no reason? I'm not willing to give up but I'm thinking of changing my approach which has been low carb; no wheat, no sugar and I am mindful of my calories at the same time I'm keeping my carbs to 20-25 per day. I may hit 30 carbs some days WITH VEGETABLES! Sigh.......

Tuscany: happy for you my friend that the scales are moving for you again and in the right direction!

Muse congratulations losing 1" from your waist. That's a big deal! I'm sorry you are having to deal with all that drama! I HATE drama, LOL!

Last edited by cincorn; 05-20-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #222  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Good morning all. It is so nice to read posts from my own age group. We're not problem free by any means, but they're problems I can relate to more easily as opposed to those that are a distant fading memory.

Cincorn -- hope your doctor is able to pinpoint what's going on. I was diagnosed with a fib in March and am going in tomorrow for a cardioversion. However, once they put me on medicines that were appropriate for the a fib and got me diagnosed with sleep apnea (which may have caused the a fib), I feel 100% better -- didn't really realize how awful I was feeling until I started feeling better. Hope you can achieve the same results.

Once I get back from my regular Monday morning doctor's appointment, I will tackle the yard. I have a young man who "works" for me (that translates into his mother makes him come over although I do pay very well) who will be cutting the very steep hill for me with the weed whacker. He's going to till the garden for me also so I can finally get that planted. Ah spring -- love the season, hate the work.

Have a great day!
Old 05-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #223  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Good morning ladies
Had a very busy weekend working in the house and outside. Did I lose any weight. Not a bit. Grrrr. I'm on plan and exercising. My body is saying its not going to give up the weight but my mind says oh yea you will. So we will see who wins.

Cincorn good luck with your cardio appt. hope you get to feeling better

Tuscany I'm glad the scale is moving for you. Awesome feeling I'm sure.

Muse sorry to hear things are not better with your friend. Hang in there.

Hello to all I missed

Hugs
Cajun
Old 05-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #224  
BBP

S/C/G: 225/ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Good morning everyone,
Just checking in. I did not have a great weekend, but stayed fairly true to my diet. Feeling energized again today. My motivation goes up and down. I need to find ways of staying motivated!
Old 05-23-2013, 05:48 AM   #225  
Fall 7 times, stand up 8

On my last post I was going for my 3rd workout after joining the gym. Well, at the 20 minute mark of walking a brisk 3mph pace on the treadmill I had sudden, sharp squeezing chestpain. It finally abated after I sat and rested a while. Anyway, that was on Monday. On tuesday I went to the cardiologist and had EKG and echocardiagram, and blood work. The EKG and Echo were fine, except the tachycardia, resting heart rate over 100 during the echo. Yesterday I got outfitted with a 24 hr. heart monitor and MAN, the tape is itching so bad I could barely sleep. I can't wait to take that baby off! The nurse called with my blood test results and my cholesterol is high and the doctor is putting me on statins. I go in next thursday for stress test and carotid ultrasound to check for blockage. Gee, I hope I don't have blockage! I have a feeling he will put me on a beta blocker for the tachycardia. I've had tachycardia since my 30's and actually the palpatations were worse then, but I had no OTHER symptoms except the palpatations. Now, I have the fatigue, chest pain, exercise intolerance that can be the tachycardia. Hopefully, a beta blocker will help. The WEIRD (but good) thing is my blood pressure, which had been in the 150-160 over 90 something range for months, was back to normal in the office! I bought a BP monitor and sure enough, everytime I've taken it in the last few days its been in the 120 something/over 80 something range! WoW! Where did the hypertension go? I'm happy but felt like the Cardiologist thought I was lying about my BP being high LOL! I had at least 6 high readings in the last couple of months, and that was EVERY BP reading! I hope you lovely ladies have a great day!
Closed Thread