3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   Losing weight at 50 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/270165-losing-weight-50-a.html)

Jackie Chan 03-29-2013 08:52 PM

Hi Ladies,
Mind if I jump in?
I sent an introduction a few weeks ago but then did nothing.
I am still in the early stages of grief, my husband passed away December 18th, he had a heart attack at 51 years old. He had high blood pressure and kidney problems but wasn't over weight and very active. Very scarey for me as I have a good 100lbs to loose. I know that dieting and grief don't mix and I am not really pushing myself, but I have to start. As the sole parent to 4 kids, ages from 11 to 21, I have to be here for them and do what they need.
At the moment I am trying to get to bed a decent time and not stuff my self with junk at night.
Hope everybody has a good Easter weekend.

wannaskipandlaugh 03-30-2013 09:26 AM

Oh Jackie.. I am so very very sorry for you. To lose your love and partner. Oh what a big hole in your heart. You are also expected to stay being a strong mom too especially to the young ones... that is tuff tuff tuff (but helps keep your mind off things alittle) Oh :hug: to you!

Remember the good and remember that your hubby loves you and will still always be encouraging you as you go on with life. Getting healthy so that you are healthy and so that you will be there for your kids is important. I don't know how you handle grief.... but sometimes starting a project (like losing weight) helps the pain. I am thinking just start by drinking more water and sleep. Give yourself little goals everyweek so that you are moving forward. Find some food plan that is easy for you and for your kids (as they will also become a part of it).

This forum is here for you and please let us know if you need any verbal help as this place is very kind and comforting!

wannaskipandlaugh 04-06-2013 09:57 AM

Well thought I would bump this thread :)

Have any of you noticed trends in how you are losing weight? I have about 10 days where I will go up and down and up and down, then 5 days of down down down, then slowly lose a few lbs for 15 days or so (I have been keeping a chart) It is so weird that our bodies have cycles/seasons LOL.. but that helps when I get to the rollercoaster time and know that it will end and I don't get as frustrated at the scale (EVIL WILL) LOL

I am just wondering if our bodies also shed more in the warm weather (summer with the longer daylight). Being here in Florida, it is pretty warm most of the year... but I remember when I lived in Illinois, I would retain more weight in winter (for fuel to keep the body warm) and less in the summer. Do you all have that happen?

Just curious to see if this is the case being in my 50's too. Do you all notice this too?

wannaskipandlaugh 04-07-2013 08:02 AM

Very interesting..... I lost 1 1/2 lbs last night (water as my feet are finally not swollen) (276 - yeah 30 lbs off) and its 4 weeks since I lost the majority of the weight loss in March. So I do have a cycle. Every 4 weeks my body gives up and lets go. This is going to be interesting to watch next month too.

wannaskipandlaugh 04-08-2013 08:54 PM

Its so kinda strange... This thread is like a ghost town. I wonder where all the 50+ are. Hopefully living a wonderful life and have met their goals. All I know is that trying to lose weight later in life is tougher.... So I am happy that others who are in old "golden" age have done it or gotten as far as they can stand and are maintaining. That does give me hope for the long term that I need to lose my weight. I know that it is going to take more than a year even with exercising it is slower now than when I was 30 (ooohhh those days of losing every day every time I walked and then stepped on the scale) instant gratification. Maybe that is why it is slower when you get older.... we have gained wisdom and more patience and thus can "take it" and "deal with it" LOL

I really can't wait to see myself even 1 month from now. I like the idea of the time capsale that Lunar did that lets us see in October what we think we should be and what we are now and compare. It truly is 1 day at a time and starting is so much better than not starting at all. What's really nice this time is my mom is actually happy for me. In the past she would blast my diet and say all negative things (Atkins) and this time the first words of negativity out of her mouth I asked her to NOT sabatoge me.... and since then she has been very supportive and I need that (I think it helps my Psychie too)

Time to clean the cob webs of this site and visit again soon :) Hopefully weighing alot less to boot!!

OK Lizzy 04-09-2013 09:55 AM

Hello All -- Yes, "wannaskipandlaugh", I agree that this thread is not very popular! But, darn it, even though I know I'm in the last few decades (likely any way) of my life, I still want to LIVE those years -- and not just vegetate with my snacks and beloved murder mysteries., as seemed to be the case in my 50's. I hope to regain at least SOME of my energy and stamina -- even if I never, ever am able to wear 8's or 10's again. That part of the equation doesn't faze me at all -- but I've noticed as I've grown older and fatter -- I've obviously grown invisible as well! To co-workers -- family members -- sales folks in stores -- they often overlook me and focus on thinner, YOUNGER women. Can you tell I am having one of "those days"? :) Trying to keep my mind on my job -- and this site, haha -- and focus on just being a good person.

wannaskipandlaugh 04-09-2013 07:12 PM

Hello Lizzy... I am glad that you joined the thread... I was thinking I was talking to the walls and just hearing the echo LOLOL... Yes I know how you feel. Getting in our older years is not something I signed up for. I liked seeing that ahead of me... but now I am here and still fat (like I have been since 25) I too want to just be healthy and be able to do just about anything I want to do. I would be thrilled to wear a 12 (only saw that in the 70's... and that 12 back then is probably a 2 now LOLOLOL but I will take a 12 today size). But just to be able to go places and not have to worry about not fitting on things (in my case) and worried that I might brake a chair (did that last summer at my friends house OH GOD I was so mortified).

Being overlooked... that might be a good thread to start..... I feel the same way. I could be standing right in front of the counter and the tender/cashier will look past me and ask the person behind me (thinner and younger) what they would like and I have to say HEY I'm standing here and its my turn before they would acknowledge me. That does happen alot ALOT... Work... I only get work dumped on me... which is nice as I hate being bored... but when it comes to a raise... yeah NOT.... The bosses seem to think that you (me) should just be grateful that I have a job.. even tho I more than earn it everyday and am never late nor sick (like ALOT of the younger ladies that I work with who are not as punctual nor care---- Now that is just in MY JOB.. I am sure that other people don't have that happen)

So yes,. I would like to be able to do anything, have the confidence to get me noticed (starting to get it) and be thanked.

That's my 4 cents LOLOLOL

Hope you write soon... I might go on another tangent LOLOLOL

wannaskipandlaugh 04-11-2013 10:28 PM

Hello Thread.... How are you today? I had a a pretty good day. I ate on plan all day and even avoided the free HOT PIZZA a client brought in... but then went to dinner at Longhorn and had the grilled Parmesan Chicken on a bun and also ate 1/2 of the FF. 1st meal totally not on plan (Atkins) and funny thing... I really only enjoyed the Chicken.. LOL The bread has blown up in my belly and the FF were eh ... So I kicked myself in the butt and took my 2 1/2 mile walk and (excuse me) I burbed out most of the FF I think LOL funny how that goes. Sitting here and recovering from the walk (sweating too as it is still 75 degrees out there) I actually dont feel bloated anymore. HHMMM maybe exercising right after you eat can help the metabolism and help the food get burned up faster and not settle in the hips and butt and thighs etc LOL I will see tomorrow what the lovely scale tells me. I hope that that is the case.

My other wish is that I would know how April Snow is doing. I hope that her heart is alittle less pained (I know that it will hurt for a long time tho). But I miss her words.

Have a good night all and my the dream fairies grant you all a very nice and pleasant story to enjoy.

wannaskipandlaugh 04-16-2013 07:24 PM

Well hello thread..... Just to catch up... After I ate that lovely (belly blow up ) meal at Longhorn last Thursday I gained 1 1/2 lbs but quickly lost that plus an extra lb. That was nice... But now I am stalled again. LOL Not gonna cheat again to make it move... but wonder why? I am tracking my weight on a chart (I wonder if everyone who stalls is also doing that - I do see the charts on alot of peoples signatures which is cool) and I see the pattern..... Up then down down down... steady, up down up down up then down down down. It is so funny and neat to see. Even my walking has nothing to do when the scale moves either direction... so yes... it is diet that changes the weight... tho the muscles that I am gaining by walking and arm strengthening is helping to burn more just by being there (and I feel better emotionally when I exercise). My dad is now thinking of walking (he is 82) as he hears me doing it and sees that I have become a much happier person. So I am happy that I might be rubbing off on my wonderful father.

I am alittle more than 3 months into this way of eating and I do feel better... THo I tried on 2 pair of pants the smaller sized one (2X) fit and the 3X cut my hips in half I couldn't believe it. LOL But that is the way things are.... DEPENDS on the manufacturer LOL I love my Quacker Factory......

Toodles for now and wish everyone a nice and peaceful night!

wannaskipandlaugh 04-20-2013 02:56 PM

Thinking here...

Do you all feel that losing weight is kinda catching? When someone or several people are losing weight.. do you all feel more motivated to lose. AND thinking that you are going to lose... you really lose more as your mind is set in that direction... which then perpetuates helping others to be possitive about losing weight. Does this make sense to you? I am trying to see a pattern here within the threads and it seems the more people post in a thread with good or great results the faster others seem to lose too. I know that some people have LIFE step in and step aside their plans for alittle while... but more seem to follow suit.

Just reminating here :D

wannaskipandlaugh 05-01-2013 08:03 AM

HHHMMM I just went thru a 9-10 day stall. Just losing 1 lb and then staying the same then up then down that same lb. Its hard to not be upset, but I had to look past that period of time and know that I will lose weight. That I have ALOT to lose and it will come off. I tried to reboot and ate a carby meal weeks ago and that helped with a quicker loss.. but then this 10 day stall happened. So I tried tweaking.... Stopped alittle of my cheese (sigh hard) and did not walk as much (tho I miss it) and my weight started coming off again. Now it could be because of the tweaks or because it was just time. We never know why and how come?! Its such a mind teaser this losing weight. The one thing I did learn tho... Try being as possitive as you can be, even with the frustration. Beign possitive, I think, helps the whole body feel better and follow what you know will happen... .delayed sometimes.. but happen. hmmm Gonna start walking again and see what happens :)

Allisgirl 05-06-2013 08:52 AM

Good Morning, I am 62 and have been on all the diets in the world and finally I went on the Ideal Protein diet and the weight is coming off very fast. Even thou it is a very restricted diet for ones that can't do alot of exercise it is a good diet cause it will come off without the exercise. I have been on it for 4 wks and have lost 16 lbs at WW I was lucky to lose a lb a week and that was exercising. This new diet has really given me confidence that maybe someday i will be healthy. I am on blood press, cholestral pills and now the doctor said that my blood sugar is borderline so I knew I had to do something. Even after 60 I know we can all do it.

Allisgirl 05-06-2013 09:00 AM

Jackie Chan, I am so sorry to hear about your husband. I also lost mine when I was 53 and it is very hard when you are that young. He also was very thin, active and had a heart attach. It is very hard but you are right you must keep going for your children. Keep trying but do not push yourself you will get stronger every day and someday it will just click and you will be able to think about you again. Blessings.

deelee10 05-08-2013 02:07 PM

Hi - May I join you? I'm on Ideal Protein too Allis. I lost 37 kept off for a year, gradually gained back 18 lost 10 of that. I have times when I'm very busy and times when I'm not. been very busy with my mom's breast cancer chemo and mastectomy. Both parents have alzheimers, live in assisted living but require a lot of time from me. And I am depleted.

Jackie - so sorry about your husband. More than I can say.

I got back on Ideal Pretein 100% about 2 weeks ago. It's hard but it works.

Hope to get to know all of you.

Cajunlady165 05-08-2013 04:16 PM

Hello ladies. Can I join in your group? I'm next door in the golden girls group. I'm going to be 52 Friday and I'm in what I call part 2 of my diet. Ibstarted last February 14 after my dad died and lost 6 pant sizes. In October I started playing. We hunt and camp every weekend making it difficult to stay on plan. I did put about 10 lbs back on and I have taken 5 of those off. I'm out of time but will tell a lil bit more about myself later.

Cajun