Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #61  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Hola, All...
Carbie - are you alone, doing all this stuff? I'm impressed!! I'm like Scartlett: "maybe tomorrow...."

Maria - welcome! We don't have a Maria, and it's most lovely to welcome you.

I'm at work... it's not like this is an important holiday, I guess (although the post office is off, as well as the city offices and services), so here we are, grinding stone. Sigh.

KarenFL - Sabrino thanks you for your concern. I haven't knitted him a bunting yet, but ONLY because his claws are so sharp that it would be dangerous for him! GM gave me an old mattress pad for his insulated dog house. He seems to be doing just fine.

Scary thing this a.m. I woke up at 4 a.m., and SamCat was in the way; I pushed him to move him... he just flopped. I shook him, and he just flopped. I was getting ready to get up and put him in a plastic bag when he started purring. He was just dead asleep! It scared me, though. He had his happy birthday on the 1st, all of 19 years old!

Nothing going on. It was a nice, nice weekend.

Everyone, have a good one!
Old 10-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #62  

Morning everyone. hope your weekend was great. i went to a b-day lunch with my girl friends yesterday and realized it was the 1st time i had been out with my friends like that in years,befor all my medical issues. a long journey for sure but so greatful i can now do more "normal" things now. and saturday my dd and grdd and I went shopping for no reason. loved that. just toodled around looking at stuff and bought us all headband ears for haloween and we wore them all day. mine were cat ears . it was fun to see the looks we got. its still raining here and imagine it will turn to snow soon. dh is about done with his firewood gathering,has a dr appt today to set up his surg.we are both dreading it. welcome chewys mom,you'll love it here,i know i do. well must quit rambling, dryers done and i hate wrinkly clothes so ttfn rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 10-08-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Oh My Gosh! Donna!! My heart jumped in my throat when I was reading your post about Samcat!! I Cried/laughed tears when I got to the end!! WHEW!!!

I still have this cough hangin on---I haven't done much of anything since last Wednesday and I don't know how you all do it with a cold/cough and still go to work!! Kudos to you for sure!! I had planned to go in for Labs. on Thursday morning a week before my regular Dr. appt. BUT I think I am just going to go on in the morning and if they say they can't do it when I'm sick well they better bring me a Dr.! LOL!!! It's all at the same place. I'm getting so tired of it. Of course, Tim is staring it now......But he has an appt. with his Dr. on Wednesay already set up, maybe he can get something for it.

Not a whole lot of other news and I'm running out of what little energy I had fast.. Take care everyone and I'll be back later.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 256/234/180

Height: 5'5'

Gee, I hope all you gals get better soon. I took a flu shot so I'm hoping it stays away. Despite all my trials and tribulations this week I managed to lose 2 lbs!!! YEAH!!!! So I'm hoping to get back on track this week and just completed my 40 min walk on the treadmill. 300 calories bye bye! I have lots of things to keep me busy replacing a floor in our guest room and remoldeling my bathroom just a smidge before I head to Calif. I hope then I'll be painting indoors during the winter. Helps with the eating if I keep busy. It'll take me time to remember all of your names but I will get them! Everyone have a wonderful day!!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Oh Donna...Your gonna have to do what they did in Edgar Allan Poe's day and when you think Sam is gone tie a bell around his paw. Victorians did that because they were afraid they'd be buried alive. Ding Dong Sam's still here.....oOh I'm sorry that was so bad.....k3

don't hate me

I know I'm warped

Last edited by Karen3; 10-08-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Hi -

Donna - Wow! That is a rough way to start the day! Glad Samcat is okay.

Cajun - sounds like you had a lovely weekend. Love that your DS called to tell you about the snow.

Gayle - glad your sore throat is better.

Mary - Those lingering colds are annoying. Glad you’re feeling a little better.

Bobbi - I know how hard it can be when faced with temptation. It’s the homemade things that get to me too. Store bought things may tempt me (chocolate) but I know I can always go to the store and buy them at a later date. The homemade things hang in my brain for a while and I feel more deprived when I pass them up. That feeling lingers. There is no way to replicate ¾ lb of butter but many years ago WW had a recipe for a crustless pumpkin pie. I will see if I still have it. I never actually made it. I believe it involved fat free evaporated milk, artificial sweetener mixed with canned pumpkin poured into a Pam sprayed pie plate. I’ll look for it. BTW, thanks for starting the new threads, etc.

Chewy/Maria - welcome to the group. Congrats on weight loss. We all need support. I keep trying to get back on the (Ideal Protein Diet) wagon but I am having a difficult time. I’m a carb/food addict and when I’m under a lot of stress (who isn’t) I comfort myself with carbs. Good luck to you.

Rosie - great that you got out with the girls. Glad you had fun.

Gosh Freda - The crazy old guys and gals. The poor wife of that minister. But you start to wonder if the women have been in denial all those years. Like some of the celebrities that have been in the news. You wonder, was he always like that? How could the wife not know? You mentioned shots. I get a flu shot every year and a pneumonia shot some years. My husband had a terrible case of shingles a few years ago, He was in incredible pain and he’s a pretty tough guy. I’ve been wondering if I should have the Shingles shot. I’ve heard it only lasts about 5 years. Then what? Can you have another one after that? Does anybody know?

Hugs to everyone.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #67  
Donna

Dee - I had singles almost two years ago... what a shock that was! It's more common in people 60+ who have had chicken pox. The virus lurks in the body and will almost always manifest as shingles in later years. Once you've had shingles, you can't get the shot for two years after the outbreak. Get the shot! Mine was quite mild, in the scheme of things, and it was still nasty.

The article I read didn't mention that the vaccine wears off; it recommends a single vaccination only. I found nothing that says it's only good for five years. GET THE SHOT!!!

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-a...ingles-vaccine

KarenFL - yes, you ARE evil.

I have a big batch of Wendy's chili cooking... smells yummy! Tomorrow's lunch: meatloaf sandwich and a bowl of Wendy's chili. This is high on the hog!

Later, lovelies!

Last edited by jess1; 10-08-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:39 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 256/234/180

Height: 5'5'

Hey girls. I thought I did pretty good today until I finished logging my food journal. Dam. I only used 1143 of my 1621 calorie budget but I went way off fat grams allowed. I managed to get 300 calories burned on the treadmill today with a 40 minute brisk walk and incline and another 100 cals tonight cycling. And I managed to still lose 2 lbs this week. So tomorrow is another day. Hope all our sickies are feeling better. See you tomorrow!!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hi everyone! Sorry to hear about all those with the coughy sore throat thing! I haven't started yet. I usually get it in January and February. I didn't get a flu shot last year because I was going through my surgery thingy and I didn't get sick, either. That might be because I no longer work and am not out among people much. I'm going to skip it again this year. DH is against shots and I have to sneak to get it or I'll get a lecture from him. LOL

Rosie - I'm glad to hear that you got out and about. Sounds like you had fun. We all need to do that once in a while. It's what keeps us young. I hope DH gets a good report from the doctor.

Welcome Chewy Marie! Glad to see you here.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #70  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good morning girls...it's finally raining here, what a blessing!

Dee...I found this recipe for crustless pumpkin pie but I don't like using instant pudding. I'd rather bake it with the fat free evaporated milk. I'd love to see your recipe.

Rosey...so nice to hear you up and about and I don't wish snow on you yet. DH is going deer hunting in a couple of weeks and he's tenting this time. He doesn't care if it snows or not, he's such a tough old bird.

Marie...congrats on another 2 pounds gone, you get lots of exercising in. Great!

Donna...scary about Sam cat, 19 is really old. Is that a recent picture of him you have as an avatar?

KarenMo;...are you still drinking your lunch? teehee, for those that are new, Karen drinks Slim Fast or used to for lunch. I stopped buying the premade kind and make my own. I have DH hooked on them too and he's thin.

Carbie...I put all my butternut squash in a large open bin and leave in our breezeway where it's very cool but not freezing. They keep that way until February or whenever I run out. If I cook up a couple large squash, I put the leftovers in a zip bag and throw in the freezer. It's very handy doing it that way and all you have to do is thaw and heat.

K3...that's what I like most about you, your warped but funny sense of humor.

Quote:
I know I'm warped

Like Rosey, I have laundry to do...later gators

Quote:
Pumpkin Pie for Dieters

Rated:Submitted By: OCEANBREEZE32
Photo By: kellieann

Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Ready In: 1 Hour 10 Minutes
Servings: 6
"If you want to stay on your diet this is a terrific crustless pumpkin pie recipe you will love."
INGREDIENTS:
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
1/2 cup skim milk
1 (1 ounce) package instant sugar-free
vanilla pudding mix
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 (8 ounce) container fat free frozen
whipped topping
DIRECTIONS:
1.In a medium bowl, mix together the pumpkin, milk, and instant pudding mix. Stir in the pumpkin pie spice, and fold in half of the whipped topping.2.Pour into an 8-inch pie plate, and spread remaining whipped topping over the top. Chill for 1 hour, or until set.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 10-09-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #71  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Hi Carol Sue...we were posting at the same time. DH and I are getting our flu shots tomorrow.
That reminds me, at the end of the year our BlueCross/Blue Shield is dropping the prescription program and we have to look into other plans. My brother does Humana just for the RX prescriptions, what do you all do as a supplement insurance?

Last edited by Bobbolink; 10-09-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hi Goldens!

I am still under the weather so I didn't work out today. Yesterday I spent most of the day re-arranging two closets in my room and hauling crap to the garbage and goodwill. It wasn't fun but it was satisfying in the end. I was amazed and appalled at the number of shoes I was hoarding. Seriously, I had shoes that I hadn't worn in 5+ years.

Donna, that Samcat story was really something! Glad that the old boy can still sleep that soundly.

Dee, it sounds like you are doing better. How is your shoulder doing?

Gayle, hoping you are having a good day at work.

Karenmo, I am with you on the cough and achy... I have to go to work today because I have a board meeting.

Karenfl, your sense of humor is my favorite thing about you.

Bobbi, I might try that recipe, thank you! Evaporated milk has so much sugar that I don't use it.

Carolsue, how are you doing?

Rosey, I am so happy when I hear your stories of being out and about. Quite a change from laying in that bed, huh? So proud of you.

Carbie, I keep squash in a cool area. When I cook it, I freeze some because I am the only one in the family who likes it.

Maria, good job on the exercising. I am one of the workout girls here, too.

Sorry for missing folks. Gotta run (or walk slowly today). Have a great day.

Rie

Old 10-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 245/241/140

Height: 5' 3"

Hello Goldies!
Maybe today I can do some personals. It's raining here today and now that I read that Bobbi and Rie keep their squash in a cool place and freeze the leftovers each time you make some, I wont spend quite as much time today freezing veggies as I had thought I'd have to.
Yesterday morning I got up ready to finish the DR room because I wanted to go to La Crosse, WI. to get some veggies at a community garden. I got all the plates for the light switches and plug-ins back on, all the tape and paper taken off and the ceiling light fixture back up. couldn't finish everything because I had to leave to go down to the Community Garden. I shucked beans for about an hour then helped with the vegetables until distributing time, ... about 3 hours.
I got about 10 butternut squash, about 8 small acorn squash, some leeks, some egg plant, some carrots, fingerling potatoes, beets, cabbage, cauliflower, and some late sweet peppers. All Free! And produce is getting so expensive now, so I think it's worth it to drive down there and sit and shuck beans for an hour. Tonight I'm going to make some leek and potato soup for supper. They also had recipes printed up for leek and tomato soup, which I'll try next.
I was pretty tired and hungry by the time I got back to town and didn't feel like cooking so I did a no-no and stopped at A&W and got a cheeseburger and onion rings. It sure tasted good too!
This morning I finished clearing the DR of everything and put a new table cloth on the table. Now I have to wipe up the floor and put a stand out there for the VCR etc for the TV, then I'll be done with that room except for a shelf I'm going to make for my plants etc.

Bobbi, I have UCARE for seniors and I'm well satisfied with it. Of course, it's health and drug coverage all in one. I have the Value Plus plan, but you may prefer one of the others. I had kidney surgery a year ago and I only had to pay $300.00 out of pocket. That's what's nice about it, it doesn't matter if you're in the hospital one day or a year, you pay $300.00 for an admittance. Drug coverage is pretty good too.
http://www.ucare.org/HealthPlans/Med...parisonMN.aspx

Also, Medica has some drug prescription choices.
https://medica.destinationrx.com/Pla...s/Demographics

Rie, sorry you're still not feeling up to snuff. Get better soon. And shoes?????????? my fave of anything! I just found a pair of boots I bought some time ago, still in the box, and here I had bought a pair about a month ago. Maybe I'll keep one "for good" and one for every day, huh? LOL

Maria, I am so proud of you with the exercising! I'm terrible. A procrastinator. I have a treadmill right in my dining room because I'm too lazy to go downstairs to use it, but, ya know what? I STILL don't use it. I hate that thing. It's so boring to be walking and not going anyplace. Same old scenery, ............. Now that I'm retired, I'll try to get outdoors to walk more. I love the outdoors.

Rosey, your day out sounded like so much fun. I don't have any daughters and DIL's are pretty much busy with other things and people, so You're lucky to be able to do these things. Good for you!

Karenfl, your sense of humor is so much like a girls whom I grew up with and haven't seen for a very long time, but I think of her so often and laugh often. ........ wonder if I could find her, .....

Donna, oh my gosh! I was feeling so bad for you until the end of that post! My goodness! I didn't think cats lived to be 19 yrs old! You must take exceptional care of him.

Carol Sue, congrats on the 5.4 lb loss. Hope you have the same result this week. It's so difficult, isn't it? But, you can do it!

Jess, I'm holding for my Drs office right now. I had chicken pox as a child, and have taken care of residents who had shingles, and I want to make an appt to get the shot. I'm hoping I can just stop in and get the shot without seeing the Dr. I don't want the flu shot though. But, I suppose it's best to get it. I wont be out and about this year as much as in the past because I'm no longer working, ..... out of the home, that is. And, yes, I'm alone doing these things. I've been supporting myself and taking care of myself since I was 15 yrs old, and then went and had a slew of kids (6) and my husband was killed in a car/pedestrian accident when they were between the ages of 3 and 11, so I learned real quick how to become self relying. I can usually figure out some way to get something done. I've noticed though that I can't lift as heavy stuff as I used to, and my balance isn't as good as I'd like, but I think there is tai chi and other exercises for that too, so maybe during the winter I'll work on that.

Dee, I sooo hear you about the carb/food addiction. I have found though in the past, that if I can make it for a couple of weeks without big amounts of carbs, then I can stick to a plan better. I remember of that crustless pumpkin pie too. YUM!

Karen31, please feel better fast. I hate the fall crud. so miserable to have.

Cajun, your weekend sounded divine! I bet your son loves the new snow. I hope it doesn't snow here until I can get out there and rake leaves. There are still a lot of them on the trees though.

Gayle, glad to hear your feeling better. Nasty time of year for colds etc. Don't work too hard now!

Freda, your stories of the old folks are kinda sad yet I have to chuckle a bit. I had one of the aides come to me last year, all red-faced, telling me that a new male Resident had felt it necessary to tell her he only had one testicle and gave her the whole story about how that came about. He wasn't being perverted, just serious as all get out, thinking she needed to know all the details. She finally saw the humor in it and we had a good laugh about it. God love 'em, they've probably been through more than we'll ever guess.

I know I've missed some and am sorry for that, but I need to get up and move around a bit.

Later, ..... Carbie

Last edited by A carbie; 10-09-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #74  
Donna

Carbie - you are my new hero! I'm amazed and agog and so impressed with you and all you do! Keep writing! I love the long posts!!
Old 10-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 245/241/140

Height: 5' 3"

Hi again,
These are the 2 LEEK recipes they handed out at the community garden yesterday.
GENERAL INFORMATION;
CLEANING; First remove the outer layer, then trim the base to remove the roots, make an incision starting at the white stalk going toward the green leafy area(leave the bottom intact), wash well under cold water. Be sure to wash between the leaves.

When refrigerated, leeks can stay good for a week or two. Frost tolerant to some degree, can be harvested even after a few frosts have occurred.
Good source of dietary fiber, folate, iron, and vitamins B6,A,C, and K. One negative is its high sodium content. Has a mild onion like flavor.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EASY TOMATO LEEK SOUP;
PREP TIME: 20 MINUTES
SERVES 6

INGREDIENTS:
3 leeks finely sliced
5 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
2 lbs fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp lemon-pepper seasoning
1/4 tsp salt

In a saucepan, bring leeks and broth to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in basil, lemon-pepper and salt. serve while hot.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BAKED LEEKS WITH CHEESE AND YOGURT TOPPING

PREP/COOK TIME: 1 HOUR
SERVES 4

INGREDIENTS:
8 small leeks

1 large egg, beaten

150g fresh goat cheese
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
2 TBSP breadcrumbs
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a shallow baking dish. Trim leeks, place in a saucepan of water, boil and simmer until tender. Remove. drain and arrange in the prepared dish. beat egg with the goat cheese, yogurt and 1/4 parmesan cheese. Pour the cheese and yogurt mixture over the leeks. Mix breadcrumbs and remaining parmesan cheese together and sprinkle over the sauce. Bake for 30 - 40 minutes (until top is crisp and golden brown).

Wonder if I could use a different cheese than goat cheese?
Closed Thread