3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > Age 50+

Anybody still fighting the good fight at age 70?

Old 08-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #91

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Thank you for the birthday wishes! No, I don't feel any different.

I bought a 2 lb package of ground turkey. It was 85% lean, so quite a bit of fat, I guess. I cooked the turkey and drained it in a colander. I mashed it down really well to remove as much fat as I could. Then I combined it with a big pile of chopped onions, bell pepper, garlic, 3 cans of chopped tomatoes, 3 cans of pinto beans, 1 can of black beans, a can of tomato sauce and some water to make it the right consistency. I tossed in chopped parsley and basil, and added Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.

All of the above made 16 slightly under one cup servings. My "stew" is quite pretty and tasty. I will be able to thaw a portion, make a salad, and have a peach and there's my meal.

I have no idea how to count the calories, but I found a pretty similar recipe in the Volumetrics Plan book. I think I will just use their statistics, but eat a smaller serving than their recipe says because mine has a half pound more meat. Their meat is extra lean ground beef, and mine is turkey.

We went to the orchard and got more peaches as well as some pears. The pears are pretty green. Also got multiple heads of lettuce, cucumber, bell pepper, cantaloupe etc. I may have cut down on my calories, but the volume of food I eat is much bigger!

We finally bit the bullet and bought a generator. We may not ever use it [someone in the family may inherit a nice generator], but we will have peace of mind and be more comfortable if the power goes off again. The other thing I want to get is a portable AC unit. They have to be vented to the outside in some way, but you can wheel them from room to room to use where needed. The unit can be plugged into the wall or into the generator if the power is off.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #92
Happy Member

Good Morning, Gail -

It's a nice, sunny day in Wonderful Wyoming, and it's actually a bit cooler this morning! Hope it stays that way.

Thanks for posting your recipe. I've copied it and plan to try it myself. My DH doesn't eat any chicken or turkey products, so either I will have to make it with lean ground beef and share with him, or else I will cook something else for him and eat the stew myself.

Other adaptations come to my weird mind - add some barley, or some brown rice. We'll see. I do like to experiment with recipes. Other spices would be interesting to try, too.

Here's a link that might be of help to you in determining calorie count on some things that you cook.

http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php

Saturdays are our days to do laundry, vacuum, that sort of stuff. I also made a cake for my DH this morning. He'll like it.

The new generator sounds interesting, but I hope you don't have major power outages. We have occasional power outages, usually just lasting a few hours.

When we needed a new furnace several years ago we bit the bullet and got central AC along with the new furnace. We do have a small supplemental heater unit which we need in our family room. The family room was not part of the original house, we built it on in the back so it needs supplemental heat in the winter.

When we decided to just stay here in our retirement, we fixed our house for our retirement. It's a good place for us to live in now, and we are happy here.

Hope you are having a good weekend. I am.

Breast Cancer Survivor
86 years old

Last edited by JoJoJo2 : 08-25-2012 at 01:29 PM.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #93

I know this will sound very remarkable to someone who lives in WY, but we do not have central heating!

We will stay here until we have sense enough to know it's time to move back to town, or our kids "throw a net over us" and say we can't be here by ourselves anymore. We have a house in town that does have central heating and all the usual amenities. We are renting it out right now, but we could always move back.

My stew isn't exactly a recipe. Like you say, it is something you can put all kinds of different things in. I thought about adding rice. I intended to make spaghetti sauce, but I decided I didn't want to use pasta, so I added beans instead. I think it would be chilli with the right spices, or curry with others.

I really don't care that much for ground turkey, either. That is why I load it up with onions etc. I thought it was really low fat/low calorie, but it's not unless you get the very lean kind. Next time I do something like this, I will try the extra lean beef.

Thanks for the link. I bookmarked it. I saw something about it, but couldn't remember what it was called.

For breakfast, I had a big bowl of peaches, grapes, and cantaloupe, cut up and sprinkled with chopped mint. The fruit was so delicious and sweet that the juice left in the bottom of the bowl was like syrup. I could live on in season fruit. I wish we didn't have to go to an orchard to get it, but most of the time the fruit in the grocery store isn't that good.

I walked 16 circuits in my drive way, which is about 1 1/4 miles. I stayed within my calorie limit yesterday. I think I was down about 1/4 lb this morning, but who's counting?
Old 08-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #94
Happy Member

Good Evening, Gail:

We just got home from our annual church/school picnic. Undoubtedly the best cooks in the world attend our chiurch, as the food was fabulous. I probably ate more than I should have eaten, but it was all quite wonderful.

Tomorrow morning I will be buying ingredients to make a stew much like yours. Maybe I'll even call it Gail's Stew, or maybe I will adapt it to my tastes and just call it Jo's Stew. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

And regarding your recipe, or basic directions, I pointed them out to another member of 3fc, Amarantha2, and she will probably try it sometime, too. I think we are all looking for interesting recipes to try that are low cal plus healthy.

Are you on a Volumetrics? I'm basically now as I maintain my weight loss just using portion control.

And have you ever though of one of the benefits of losing some weight is that it takes a lot of stress off of your knees. This is something I am appreciating as I get older.

It's been a nice day today in Wonderful Wyoming, but there is still smoke in the air from the fires somewhere. This has been such a brutal fire season, and I guess it isn't over quite yet.

Hope you have a nice evening, and a Marvelous Monday!

Breast Cancer Survivor
86 years old
Old 08-27-2012, 12:25 AM   #95

I think maybe all churches have the best cooks in the world!

I am not on the Volumetrics Diet. I bought the book [paperback] when it got a good review from Consumer Reports. It is a "sensible diet". My diet is called "The don't eat too much" diet, which is also a "sensible diet".

My knees do feel better. I have this little item of exercise equipment called a Mini-Stair-stepper. I got it at Brookstone a few years ago. I haven't been able to use it because my knees hurt too much. Just this minute, I went and tried it and my knees felt OK. I think I will have to work up to doing it for long, but if I can manage it, I will be able to use it on the occasional bad day we have in the winter.

I have eaten 1314 calories today. It is bed time, and I hope I don't eat any more. I am a little hungry, but not too bad. My fruits and vegetables today were peaches, cantaloupe, grapes, lettuce, celery, tomatoes, cucumbers, and broccoli.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #96

I am down a pound today! AND I have two shirts that are the same except for the size. I pulled out the smaller one by mistake and it fit just fine. I'm so excited!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #97
Happy Member

Good Evening, Gail -

on the continuing weight loss. You really are on a roll. I'm sure it feels good each morning to wake up and see the scale smiling at you.

A question for you - which feels better, seeing the scale smile at you or fitting into a smaller shirt? Both, probably. At any rate, you are doing just fine, all those walks on your driveway are paying off big time.

We had your stew for supper tonight, but I certainly adapted it a lot to suit my DH's taste. He would not willingly eat ground turkey so I used 1 lb. of lean ground beef. I used a couple of chopped onions, a couple of chopped green peppers, 1 can of pinto beans, 1 can of black beans. I used 1 pkg. frozen tomatoes from our own garden. For spices I used cumin and garlic powder. And I added some barley. I cooked it in my big crock pot, and it made a humungous amount. So I will freeze portions for the two of us later this evening. Bob liked it and so did I. It'll taste mighty good on cold evenings this winter.

The weather today turned hot again, which is odd for us this time of year. And there are more forest fires in Wyoming, giving us smoke, The fires are caused by dry lightening, and there's nothing much that can be done about that.

Hope you are having a pleasant evening. And may tomorrow be a great day for you.

Breast Cancer Survivor
86 years old
Old 08-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #98

I had my stew for lunch yesterday. I had a portion of wild/brown rice mix which I added to mine along with a half a can of V8 juice. I happened to be drinking the juice, which gave me the idea to put it in the stew. It was good. I think cumin is a good addition. I also think ground beef is probably better than turkey.

The scale is really smiling at me today; I am down another pound. My goal was to loose 5lbs in August, and I did it!

I don't know which is best - smaller clothes or lower number on the scale. I am almost adult enough to be more pleased about improving my health.

I just noticed that I am 1/3 of my way to my final goal. Not bad.

Last edited by gailr42 : 08-28-2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Add a sentence
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #99
Happy Member

Good Afternoon, Gail:

Down another lb.? Well, another for you! You are really on a roll, and 5 lbs. down in August is a great loss. Keep on keeping on.

We are going to have the stew for supper again tonight. I put some left-overs in a small casserole dish and I will sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on top.

I do doubt if I will ever compare the ground beef and ground turkey since Bob won't eat turkey. I personally eat a lot of chicken for lunch, but he eats something else that he prefers. I actually like chicken thighs better than chicken breasts these days, so I keep a supply on hand. A bit of chicken thigh, a piece of fruit, and a Wasa cracker with a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese on it makes for a tasty lunch for me. Then for supper we usually eat the same thing.

No exercise today for me as it was entirely too hot, so I spent my morning scrubbing down the bathroom so it is sparkling clean now. If it cools down a bit this evening I will sit on our front deck and play my flute for the entertainment of the neighborhood. Nobody has complained as yet about my occasional tootling in the evenings.

Keep focusing on the weight loss, you are really doing very well. Hope you have a great evening, and a Wonderful Wednesday!

Breast Cancer Survivor
86 years old
Old 08-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #100

I love Wasa crackers and Laughing Cow cheese. Have you ever tried Armenian style Ak-Mak crackers? They are somewhat less universally available than Wasa, but I have seen them in various grocery stores. They are thinner than Wasa and have a nice toasty flavor. I am inclined to eat a whole package of crackers at once, so I have cut back on buying crackers, at least until I feel I can trust myself not to overindulge.

It is pretty hot and sticky today, but I did my 16 circuits of the drive way. I went out with my friend for Chinese food last night. I didn't eat too much, and no rice, but I don't know how to figure the calories.

I wish my neighbors would sit out and play the flute. Play on...
Old 08-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #101
Happy Member

Good Afternoon, Gail -

Yes, Ak-Mak crackers are an absolute favorite of mine, but, as you say, they are not always available in this town. Fortunately they were in Safeway recently so Istocked up.

I've recently discovered flatbread from various manufacturers. Most recently I bought a box of Wasa flatbread and I've been enjoying it.

There is such an abundance of healthy foods available that we have no reason to complain about finding something healthy to eat. One of the problems, of course, is that we tend to eat too much of it at times.

I don't know if I have ever mentioned it, but I have age-related macular degeneration, the dry kind, and it is progressing rapidly. I saw my eye doctor this morning, and this is just one of the consequences of aging. At times it makes it difficult for me to see the computer screen.

The weather continues to be unusually hot here, although probably not as hot as where you live. But we are in the upper 90s now, and it isn't cooling off much at night. This is so unusual for this area. Too hot for flute-playing on the deck last night. Maybe tonight -

But we can't do a thing about the weather. Keep walking your circuits - it's a good habit to have.

Breast Cancer Survivor
86 years old
Old 08-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #102

I have known a few people with macular degeneration, but I think they were in the early stages. Is it something where you have good days and bad days? Don't feel that you need to respond to my posts if you don't feel like it. I will understand.

You aren't kidding it's hot in Casper. Upper 90s - Wow.

Hot here? Well, just before I got on here, I got an email from SCE [Southern California Edison], saying that due to much higher heat and humidity during the last billing period, that we may see an increase in our bill...I think they are afraid people might have a heart attack when they see the bill. It has been really hot and humid today. There are big dark clouds in the sky.

I have been sort of restless and hungry today, but nothing seems very satisfying except maybe a whole box of crackers. LOL.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #103
Happy Member

Good Morning, Gail -

I'm sure you will receive your next electric bill with trepidation, due to the unusual weather you have been having. It is affecting so many people in so may different ways.

Regarding age-related macular degeneration, it is a problem that affects older people. There are two kinds - wet and dry. The wet can be treated with injections into the eye that hopefully halt the leakage. The dry kind, which is the kind I have, is untreatable at the present time. I can still see pretty well and do my daily activities, but I no longer drive, and reading is difficult. I have a special lighted magnifying glass that helps. I'm adjusting.

It was not so hot here this morning so I have done my walkabout in the neighborhood. It'll warm up this afternoon I am afraid. I was able to play my flute on the front deck for a bit last night. Bob is doing some work in our front yard, and I like to both keep an eye on him and serenade him while he works.

So you think a whole box of crackers will help your mood? Maybe it would. I've had days when I would munch away on a sleeve of Ritz, and feel better about life. LOL

Hope today goes well for you. Let's remember that life is good, so we can enjoy it!

Breast Cancer Survivor
86 years old
Old 08-31-2012, 12:31 AM   #104

It is cooler here tonight, too. I wish it would stay this way, but I know it will be hot again. September is still pretty hot.

I haven't been so hungry today. It all started yesterday with my trying to find out how many calories to count for my Chinese food. I read all kinds of recipes and menus for yummy food and it made me hungry.

It was too hot to go out this morning. I stuck to my plan, and I still weigh the same as I did. This is a good thing!

We are dog sitting for the neighbors. The dog is the fattest little chihuahua you ever saw. I worry that she might have a heart attack. She sounds like she has asthma. Definitely needs to check into 3FatChicks.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #105

I did 16 plus one cool down circuit in my driveway this morning. It was pretty sticky, but not as hot as it could have been.

I just got my electric bill. Yowza!! It is twice what it usually is and we don't even have A/C. Must be from running the fans all the time.

Last edited by gailr42 : 08-31-2012 at 02:39 PM.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.