3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > Age 50+

Anybody still fighting the good fight at age 70?

Old 08-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #76

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Jerry just said this morning that soon we will be needing warmer clothing. Well, he's doing a little wishful thinking. By Halloween the nights will be cooler.

You took your walk and I took my walk. Good for us! I stayed on plan just fine yesterday.

I like the frozen stir-fry veggies I got at Costco. They taste good and are convenient. I wanted some bell pepper for a breakfast burrito and I just went in the bag of frozen vegs and got a few pieces. Sure, a fresh pepper might have been a little better, but I didn't have one.

I made a concoction of two tortillas, two extra small eggs, the veggies and plain yogurt as a topping. It was very tasty and comes in just under 300 cal.

Our chickens lay different sized eggs - some of them are like goose eggs, others are tiny. The tiny one are good for my purposes. I just can't stand to throw the yolks away like some people do.

I am going to clean out my laundry cabinet today. That should keep my mind off of eating.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #77
Happy Member

Good Morning, Gail -

Definitely a cool morning here today. I just put the flag out on the front deck, and for my walk I will probably need a light jacket. It does get hot in the afternoons still, but really cools off at night. Labor Day for us is still hot, but then we could have snow any time after that. Halloween often means bad weather, which is unfortunate as all the costumes of the trick-or-treaters get covered up by heavy coats.

So you have chickens? Absolutely that means fresh eggs available. There are lots of good nutrients available in egg yolks - eating a yolk means more calories of course but I usually eat them with no qualms. LOL

You mentioned shopping at Costco We don't have one, wish we did. But we can buy those nice big bags of frozen veggies at Super Walmart, and they come in handy for so many things. Mostly right now we're eating the fresh veggies, but in the wintertime we will be digging into the bags of frozen vegetables of various kinds.

I weighed in at 131.2 lbs. this morning. Weekends are always difficult for me, although I haven't the foggiest reason why as we are retired and each day is much like any other day. Maybe we just relax more on weekends. I dunno.

But I will be heading out for my little walkabout in the neighborhood soon. Yes, let's both keep doing our little walks - they are so good for us.

And let's enjoy the scenery, wherever we are. Each landscape has a beauty of its own.

Have a great day!

Breast Cancer Survivor
86 years old
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:54 AM   #78

That's funny about weekends when you are retired. Your whole life is a weekend. I only work two days, so most of my life is a weekend, too. Do you make a more formal Sunday dinner, or something else you do differently on Saturday or Sunday?

We went to a graduation party for a niece who graduated from a physician's assistant program. It was at her house about 200 miles from us. I don't know if we are ever going to go anyplace again except the post office. The traffic on the freeways was horrendous. It was also miserably hot.

They had very nice food with lots of good choices. They had been to a farmers market and gotten probably the best strawberries I have ever eaten. The bad news is that there was a young family friend there who makes deserts and pastries for a living - she works at a fancy restaurant. She was making all kinds of goodies right there in the kitchen. Needless to say, I sampled a few things. I was very conservative with my sampling, but I am sure I went over my calorie allotment. At least I was eating quality treats, and not just junk. One of the things she made was sunflower seed brittle. Like peanut brittle only with sun flower seeds. It was very nice and unusual. She also made cheese cake, but when she served it she cut it in about 1" squares, which is plenty, especially for me.

We saw the remains of what must have been a terrible accident on the freeway. From the appearance of the vehicle, I can't believe anyone could have survived. It was a small car, mashed to half its length and I could see where it had burned. Traffic was backed up for miles.

So, not only will I enjoy the scenery, I will be grateful to be alive and well.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #79

I woke up this morning, weighed myself, and was overjoyed to find that I am down 2 pounds to 179. Out of the 180's. Hurray!!
Old 08-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #80
Happy Member

Good Afternoon, Gail:

to you!!! That is a weight-loss to put a smile on your face, especially after the buffet you enjoyed at the PA's reception. All your hard work, your walking on the driveway each day plus your careful eating, has really paid off for you. Now, just don't celebrate too much, just keep doing what you have been doing and you'll keep right on sliding down that weight-loss slope.

I think we all relax a bit on weekends, and that happens even when we are retired. I seldom cook anything on the weekends. We usually eat out at least once on the weekends. We do our weekend chores on Saturdays - laundry, vacuuming, that sort of stuff. Then Sunday mornings we attend church and Bible class. The rest of the day is spent just doing whatever we want to do. And sometimes that means that we just snack too much.

Several years ago I got this bright idea that we should visit Bob's brother and his wife who live in the Los Angeles area. We visited his sisters, too, one of whom lived in Southern Arizona, and the other lives in Colorado. Well, we will never do that again. The freeway traffic, especially around LA, was awful. We saw some minor accidents, nothing major like you saw, but I will never go back to that area. Never. We are used to the traffic around here, and those freeways scared us both. So I do understand what you are sayubg about it.

Again, congratulations on your continued weight loss. It's fun, isn't it, to be successful at shedding those lbs. Let's keep at it.

And let's keep smiling -

Breast Cancer Survivor
86 years old

Last edited by JoJoJo2 : 08-19-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:32 AM   #81

Yes, it's fun to have a little success. Historically, I am pretty good at loosing weight. It is the maintaining I have a problem with. I have to get it through my head that I am not on a diet, but am making a lifestyle change. I am fairly comfortable at my present caloric intake of 1300 give or take a few. Previously, I have cut back the calories quite a bit more, but I am thinking maybe in the long run, it is better not to be ravenously hungry all the time. Maybe I won't get burned out and return to my old bad habits. Actually being pleasantly surprised by my lower number this morning makes me less likely to celebrate. It's when it stays the same for too long that I start wanting to eat mindlessly because not eating isn't working.

You took the words right our of our mouths when you said "NEVER" to the southern California freeways. That very word was heard several times in our car yesterday. I have done a lot of driving on the freeways. I don't mind them at all, but now it seems the roads are just too crowded and full of crazy drivers.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #82
Happy Member

Good Morning, Gail:

I think we are all experienced yoyo dieters. Those old eating habits are hard to get rid of, and we easily slip back into our old eating habits figuring "Just this one bite won't make any difference." Well, the one bite won't, but it is so often followed by other bites.

So maybe we should just call it "Healthy Weight Management" and focus on that. It's for the rest of our lives! It really is.

Bob's only brother lives in Westminster, California. As we are getting older I thought it would be nice to have a visit with him and his wife. So we made a loop of it as we also visited one sister in S. Arizona and the other sister in Colorado. And I'm glad we did. But we are never, ever, going to drive in that traffic in S. California.

This morning we did some grocery shopping at Walmart. I'm trying to get somewhat stocked up for the winter as often the roads in this area are icy and snow-clogged and I don't want us to be driving on them. Last year we got ourselves stuck in a snow drift, and kindly stranger had to dig us out. So we are trying to avoid that little experience.

Have a Marvelous Monday -

Breast Cancer Survivor
86 years old
Old 08-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #83

A super Wal-Mart has been in the works for years, here. We have a regular Wal-Mart, but it doesn't have much food. I really liked the one we went to in Lancaster. I like wandering around in the grocery store. Seeing all the things they have gives me ideas for cooking.

Years ago, when we were traveling across the country, I drove into a snow-filled ditch somewhere in Idaho. Scared the heck out of me. Here in the desert, the summer is the difficult or dangerous season. Lots of things can go wrong, mostly having to do with not having water when you need it.

There is nothing new going on here. It is still hot and I still weight the same, but I am not complaining.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #84
Happy Member

Good Morning, Gail -

Yes, by all means always have extra water with you in desert country.

We have two Super Walmarts here in Casper. The one across town even has a Sam's Club with it. I used to belong to Sam's Club when I was chairman of a group that needed to purchase food in rather large quantities, but now that I'm just buying for the two of us I figure Sam's Club membership isn't worth the cost to me.

Yester was Primary Day in Wyoming, so we proudly cast our vote. My Grandmother was a militant suffragette back in the pre-WWI days, and I always think of her when I vote. We are so fortunate to live in a country where we have such freedoms.

Nothing much going on here today. I think I will do some fall house-cleaning.

Have a Wonderful Wednesday -

Breast Cancer Survivor
86 years old
Old 08-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #85

I agree 100% that we are very lucky to have the freedoms we have. We vote absentee because we are so far out in the middle of nowhere that Inyo county doesn't want to provide us with our own polling place. Our primary was some time back, June, maybe? Anyway, we voted too.

I went on the internet to see who was running in your primary, but the top spot in the Tribune went to a standoff at the Super 8 Motel. I couldn't tell what city was involved.

That is so cool that your grandmother was a suffragette. My grandfather was a representative in the Alberta Provincial Legislature when it was first formed.

It wasn't so hot this morning, so I got my shoes etc. to go walk. By the time I was ready, it was raining so I didn't go. It will doubtless very sticky for the rest of the day.

I had a few corn chips yesterday, but stayed within my calorie range.

I checked out my unopened 25 pound bag of cat food last night. I have only lost 23 pounds, but I'm getting close. That 25 lb bag felt really heavy!
Old 08-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #86
Happy Member

Good Evening, Gail -

Yes, yesterday was a very exciting day in Casper, Wyoming. It was Primary Day, it was the first day of school, and then we had the situation at Super 8. The hostage situation at the motel finally was resolved late in the day. One of the perpetrators is now in custory, the other one suicided. All hostages were released safely. The police did their work well. It could have been a lot worse. No one seems to know the motive as yet.

My poor husband was caught in the traffic jam as he came home from his model railroad meeting about noon yesterday. There was a lot of chatter on Facebook about it since some of my local friends have children attending the schools that were locked down.

Three schools in the area were locked-down, which is quite a situation during the first day of school. But there is always a danger that a kid could be hurt, and there were bullets fired.

The Primary Election was important to us because we know one of the men running for the State Senate, and are happy that he won in the Primary. He'll be unopposed in the General Election.

We've voted absentee several times when we knew we would be out of town, but to do it we just went to the County Clerk's office and cast our ballots there. What you are dealing with is more complicated, but it's good that that method is available to you.

Checking out the 25 lb. sack of cat food really can bring it home to you how well you have done in shedding the lbs. That is taking a lot of weight off your knees! It helps make it seem all worth while. Keep going.

I'm getting my walkabouts in the neighborhood very early as the afternoons continue to be hot here. I keep yearning for cooler weather or rain. But the sun keeps right on shining.

Let's make tomorrow be a great day. Yep, Thursday will be a great day!!!!

Breast Cancer Survivor
86 years old
Old 08-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #87

Somehow, I don't think of Casper as the sort of place to have such goings on. You had an exciting day, indeed.

It rained heavily enough again this afternoon to cool things off pretty well. What a huge relief. I got my shoes back on and walked up the hill behind our house and 16 circuits of my drive way. Thirteen circuits is a mile, so I walked more than I have heretofore. It is so much easier to walk when it isn't so terribly hot. Anyway, I am pleased with my progress and with myself for getting out again this evening without having to argue with myself about doing it.

I have this idea that if I can get up to walking two miles, at least three times a week for a few weeks [to prove I am really serious], I will owe myself some kind of nice non-food treat. I am thinking about an espresso machine. I only drink coffee with milk. I am not in danger of succumbing to the high calorie coffee drink craze.

We are shopping tomorrow. I need to lay in another bushel of lettuce...and maybe visit the peach orchard again.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #88
Happy Member

Good Evening, Gail -

We had never thought of Casper as being a big-crime city but we have had a lot of excitement lately. Today was troubling as it was the day of the first court hearing for a woman I've known most of her life - know her mother and sisters. I knew her dad, he's gone now. The court appearance was because she had been arrested for trying to entice a couple of children to go off with her. This all happened in a city park, and fortunately the parents were there to stop things and call the police. She resisted arrest, which is another charge against her. It is so sad, we are guessing drugs are involved, but we also know that she had been on a long, slow slide downhill for a long time. Drugs can be such a problem.

It's been a fairly quiet day around here. This morning Bob and I got our hair cut, visited the model railroad club to pick up a notebook which he had left there, and did a bit of shopping at Walmart.

The weather continues very hot here. Did the rain you had make your desert bloom? I've been in parts of the desert when a rain will make things come to life and the cactus will bloom. At least it cooled things off for you a bit.

Keep walking, it is increasing your endurance. If you can continue to push yourself you will be up to that two-mile walk fairly soon. You've accomplished a lot with the salads and the walking - keep doing it.

And smile while you are walking - it exercises the muscles in your face!

Have a Fantastic Friday -

Breast Cancer Survivor
86 years old
Old 08-24-2012, 02:50 AM   #89

My drug of choice, besides Ibuprofen, is food!

We went out and spent a bunch of money on a generator. We don't want to go the route we did last week when the power was out. Can't have my bushel of lettuce spoiling in the refrigerator.

I ate some less than "clean" food today, but I was conservative enough that I came in fine on the calorie count. Turns out that a hot dog at costco has 570 calories - holy smokes - I kind of thought it might be a lot, so I only ate 1/4 of it and gave Jerry the rest.

Today is my 70th birthday, and I survived!
Old 08-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #90
Happy Member

Good Morning, Gail:

So you hit the big 70!!! Do you feel any differently now? Of course not, it is just a number. Keep eating those healthy foods and keep walking on your driveway so that you stay as healthy and active as possible, and just go on living your life. Life is good, let's enjoy it.

I just got home from my walkabout in the neighborhood. It's going to be another very hot day here, but there was a bit of a breeze which felt nice.

I personally think that there is room in any weight-loss plan for the occasional treat, like your hot dog. Once in a while we all need to satisfy that hunger for unhealthy food that we have, and then we hop right back on the weight-loss wagon. We just need to pick our treats rather judiciously.

Enjoy your birthday today. After all, you won't have another one for a whole year!

Keep smiling -

Breast Cancer Survivor
86 years old
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.