Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #31  

Hi everyone. all the talk of smoothies has me responding as i make alot of them. i use ice, water sf vanilla coffee mate, stevia,diet hot choc,instant coffee. i also have used crystal lite and fresh fruit with the coffee mate and yogurt, sf jello and puddings. experiment they are all good but my favorite is still the coffee mocha. not alot going on its a rainy dreary day here. a good soup day and my nose in a book. ttfn rosey
Old 07-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 279/223/132

Height: 5'1"

Ok I'm calm again. Didn't eat-read a funny book. I've decided to divide post in two. I'll start with replys and then after dinner I'll come back with My stuff.
So here goes.

Mary: " experiencing a Negative situation, don't become the situation" Ah ha! Moment for me. I get it! It ties in with my reading in feelings and food today. Keep building those muscles girl!

Carol Sue: When I fuss about all the weeds in my garden to my DD she tells me to look at all my beautiful flowers & roses instead. So Carol Sue You've noticed your "weeds" now look at all those flowering days you've met your goal.

Karen: Great about the gas grill. I've tried for years to get DH a new one and he wants to stick with his small smoker-grill. Guess we should't fool around with what works, Sounds like a fun church group.

Cajun: Sounds like a fun wedding. Oh! How I wish I could dance. Maybe at 218 I can too.

Isabella: Cute GS story, brings back good memories. Congrats on keeping up with your tracking while away.

Rie: So all this fun in the sun is an award for getting down to 171 I can look foward to, What a great time. I hope your strength returns soon,but at least you can lay in bed and smile at yesterdays memories. Could you at 254?
Old 07-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #33  
Empress/Queen

I make a lot of smoothies/shakes as well and also drink the RTD protein ones. I just like plain frozen fruit lately, whirred in blender with added ice. Delicious.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 279/223/132

Height: 5'1"

Ok, GH was good and so was dinner. Now on to my problem. On my food plan I get between 1,100 and 1600 healthy calories a day. Only I have a lot of trouble even reaching 1,100 cal. I now have a plan where I eat 5 x a day spread evenly out. As I lose weight, make mini goals I'll lower the 1,600 as needed. My 1st mini goal is 235. 34 pds to go. I won't have trouble reaching enough overall this week because of the 4th. In my plan I get 8 holiday , as I wish, meals a year. None are in the same month. This helps me not feel deprived- a thing that in the past could send me down the binging trail. There is always that next holiday.
Anyhow what I want to know is how low on calories can you go and not end up throwing your body into that starvation, hold all the fat mode ?I'm 5' tall and 61, and only , painfully, walk to bed, bathroom, greatroom-kitchen, to and from car once a week. up to about 20 min a day seated exercises. I chose 1,100 because it was recommended for my dream ,lower edge of health chart 110 pds x 10 calorie limit for goal weight. What would you recommend as a healthy enough calorie count? Thanks.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #35  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hi Girls. Off to do a bit of shopping in about 1 minutes. DIL is driving her mother back home and I'm going along for the ride and hope to drop into a store or two that we don't have at home.

We make smoothies at home. We usually just add fresh and frozen fruit with a little fruit juice. Sometimes we add yogurt but mostly just the fruit and juice. Occasionally, I'll add some kind of greens.

Ginger, I try not to go below 1200 calories and have a hard time at that but not the way you do. I could eat half that at breakfast if I'm not careful and the other half at dinner (lunch) and have nothing left for supper. I have a treat/cheat day every week but lately I've been very conservative on the treats. I still usually go over my allotted 1200-1400 calories/day but not by much. How do you have such trouble not eating enough calories?

My minute is up. Gotta go..............................

Last edited by retiredone; 07-03-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hi Friends!

Not much time here this morning but I wanted to drop in....

Blazing hot here and it will be as bad today. I MUST get some work done on the camper tonight and tomorrow so I can leave on friday.

Amarantha, actually I bought both my boats when I probably weighed 270+. I look better driving the boat now.

Isabella, enjoy the new stores....

smoothie recipe: one packet wonderslim dark chocolate, 8 oz unsweetened almond milk, 1 TB instant coffee, ice cubes, optional (one container carb control vanilla yogurt) I love it but the wonderslim shakes are pricy. I wait till they go on sale and then stock up.

gotta go. Laters!

Rie
Old 07-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 278/264.9/175

Height: 5'9"

Yay! Just hit 249.4!! In the 40's!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #38  
Empress/Queen

Going to attempt some responses, lol, sorry that I don't do that much. This is such a nice and big group that I don't want to put a foot wrong.

Rie: Sorry, don't recall saying anything about your boats or your weight driving them. (?) Lol, love your avatar, would love to go to Montana some day. I went through there on a bus once in extreme youth. Bet it is beautiful.

Red: Woot!!! Congrats on hitting the 40s!!!

Ginger: I never go below 1200 either, even though I sometimes practice intermittent fasting (for less than 24 hours always). So I do sometimes go for up to 18 hours not eating but only once or twice a week, if that, and then the overall calorie count is the same. My average is actually in the 1800s these days and I am shooting for the 1500s-1600s as my preferred level. I eat more some days than others.

retiredone: Hope you have a nice shopping trip

To All Not Mentioned: Sorry, I keep losing track!

Have a great day, everyone! Woot!
Old 07-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Hello goldies. Hope all are having a good day. A good day it is!!!!!! I've lost 3 lbs this week!!! Let's hope the plateau is over. I discovered something yesterday I would never have believed. Some one told me that there is a squash called spaghetti squash. It's yellow and shaped like a football. I found it in the produce section at wal mart. I cut in half long ways and dug out the pulp. Inside it looks like a canalope. I poured 1/2 cup of water in one half and put the other on top like you would be putting it back together and put in microwave until it was soft when you press on it. Be careful it's hot. When done take out of micro and take a fork and scrape against the grain. It come out looking like spagetti. I made a spagetti sauce with ground beef and poured on top of spagetti and it was delicious. The squash was kinda crunchy but really good. I loved it and the thing is it was not a carb but a vegetable. Just thought I would share this discovery. The squash really didn't have a taste but neither dies pasta.

Isabella. Have a good day shopping!

Maryea at least you did something at the gym.. I know myself and I can easily talk myself out of exercise.

Ginger. That happened to me more than once. I'm tpying something and go back to the previous post on another page and lose it. Frustrating. I also write it in a notebook.

Rosey I made a beef soup yesterday and froze it in small serving sizes. Its nice to have something already fixed or times when I get back home late and have nothing ready to eat. It keeps me from making bad choices when I have nothing prepared.

Bobbi. My mother in law asked me to make her 2 pies for her Sunday. She said one for her and I could have the other one. I told her no way but thank you. After the episode with the snickers cake I can't have deserts in my house right now.

Carol sue I always have a difficult time on weekends. But remember we can always get right back on track.

Karen 31. Your church picnic sounded like a lot of fun. Lots of laughs. That's a good price for your new grill. Since I've been on my journey to lose weight we always grill. Looks like you are enjoying your hot tub ( cold adult beverage also) lol. We had an above ground pool when our boys were young. It's really good exercise with no strain on the joints. Wish I had it now beings I'm so serious about getting this weight off.

Thats all for today.
Everyone have a good and safe July 4 th
Thanks to all that have served and all who serve at this present time.
Especially my two nephews in afganistan right now.

Cajun
Old 07-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #40  

Way to go red!!!!!!!!!! Job well done!
Old 07-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #41  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Cajun and Red, well done with the weight loss. That always brings my mood up a notch when I lose a pound or two.

Cajun, I had spaghetti squash for the first time this past winter. I was very impressed with it as well.

I had a great time at the store. They had dollar days and I picked up dried beans for a $1 a package. They sell for $1.99 at the grocery store so I bought a dozen bags. DH loves baked beans so I guess the weather will be windy for a while in my neck of the woods. I also bought some chocolate bars for DH but he doesn't know. They were on sale for as little as 4/$1. I'll give them to him one at a time over the next few months or so. He loves chocolate and would eat all of them in a week if he knew I had them for him. When he does that he gets an awful headache so I'll dole them out one by one when I'm feeling abnormally charitable towards the dear man.

I got a bunch of other stuff as well and bought my DIL a nice set of stainless steel salt & pepper shakers that weren't on sale. They are large with handles on the side and will sit very nicely next to her new stainless steel stove when it arrives. I have a set that looks like canning jars that I keep near the stove and she loves them but I've never seen a set like them again.

The ones I bought are similar to these but are brushed stainless steel.

I'm a bit tired out from the day's excitement (sales ) so I'm going to watch a movie on youtube for awhile. Take care.

Last edited by retiredone; 07-03-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #42  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Congrats on the weight loss girls, good job. As to calories, I can't lose on 1200 calories. I stick to 1000 per day and I can find plenty of good food to keep me filled up. Eating a bowl of Fiber One for breakfast is my best tip.
I made a real easy cherry/banana smoothie for lunch. I used reconstituted powdered skim milk (8oz), 1/8 teaspoon cherry kool-aid, 1 frozen banana, 6 ice cubes, 1 teaspoon psyllium husks powder and stevia. It whipped up very thick and delicious. I won't be buying the canned or powdered slim fast again.
Gosh Mary...I didn't know going into scrooge mode could be so rewarding. Wish I started budgeting years ago while we still have lots of money!
Rosey...your recipe sounds good but I have to stay away from chocolate. I like the coffee added, maybe tomorrow I'll try carob/coffee for my shake. I have carob powder, maybe I'll make a batch of carob syrup this afternoon. ( I forgot about it)
I had blood work done yesterday morning, a ekg? He wanted to check my cholesterol levels. The meds are doing it's job so he didn't change my cholesterol drug. My weight was 127 with clothes on, he was happy with that. Doc got after me for not exercising, I told him I do counter-top push-ups plus garden work/yard, etc. He said I needed more. Wanted to know what I did in the winter for exercise. I told him I played computer games. He didn't smile. I also told him I run up and down the stairs often, 13 steps down and 13 up. He didn't smile at that either. Guess I'll have to do something but what? I HATE TO EXERCISE.
I made apricot cobbler yesterday in the crock pot, turned out really good. Tomorrow I'll mix the fresh apricots with some raspberries and make another one. I use stevia for sugar but the brown sugar in the crumbly top isn't very calorie friendly. Anyone have a recipe for low calorie crumb topping?

Last edited by Bobbolink; 07-03-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Hi Golden Chicks -

Haven’t gotten on 3fc for a while. I joined some friends on a girls vacation for 5 days. Glad I went. So much fun being with a great group of women. Drank some wine, perhaps a bit too much a couple of nights. Then one of my friends bought 2 bags of potato chips….The day after I got back I had my little great nieces for the weekend. The older is 9 the younger is 4. It was fun but there were some sleep issues so I was recovering from both the travel and the weekend with 2 high energy little girls yesterday. I’m worried that by the time I have grandchildren I’ll be too tired to do much with them. I did start back exercising on Sunday. One of the things I’m finding that I dislike most is how much I sweat. Does anyone else have that problem? I don’t mind having to take a shower but my hair gets soaking wet. So minimum I have to dry it and do a little something with it. I can’t wash it and dry it and style it every day. My hair is damaged enough from the blond highlights. My hair is baby fine but I have a lot of it so it is time consuming. Plus it is very hot here and my health club does not get cool enough when it is so hot. Then I get home and I’m too exhausted to do anything. I’m lucky if I get my hair fixed. I think I will get an inch or two trimmed off and see if that helps. But when it’s this hot I like to put it in a pony tail. Hmm…Maybe I will just go and do a lighter work out.

I quickly read through all the posts. I hope to get caught up.

Red and Cajun - congrats on the weight loss.

Gayle - It was the hot flashes that got me - hot then cold. But when it’s this hot my master bedroom just doesn’t get cool enough. It is on the main floor and sticks out of the rest of the house with a flat black roof so it does not get as cool as the place where the thermostat is located. I found having a small fan pointed at me helps me get through the night. We have a programmable thermostat that I have a difficult time with. I suspect that my husband has goosed it up to 70 degrees. I need it at 68 - actually 67 would be better. I asked him what it is set on now. He thinks 69. Which means it is probably 75 in my bedroom. I think I’ll get a little room thermometer to check. In the winter we’re fine because we both like it cool to sleep. I’m just willing to pay for it. I figure it evens out because I keep the house very cool in the winter, My kids call it the igloo.

Okay. I’m going to gym for a short workout. Hugs to all.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #44  

Bobbi they make brown sugar splenda!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #45  

Height: 5'3"

We got to the gym and then had several errands to run before coming home tired. I was able to get my new pillow sham the dry cleaners gave me to replace the one they lost. They matched the color to a part of the design in my shams and they did a good job. I no longer place them side by side but I put the one they made in back of the one with the design and I'm satisfied with how it looks.

My lower back was really stiff and sore this am...it's been a little that way and increasing the weights yesterday probably didn't help, but after the workout it feels ok. I am alternating the parts of the body I work on each day to give the muscles a rest in between as Slmn11 and I discussed. Today I worked on my waist (sides, not sure what it's called), and my upper back besides doing the cardio. My foot/ankle was hurting too so I didn't walk as fast as usual but walked the track for at least a mile. We decided to skip the treadmill. Dh prefers the track now. I like both as I like to read on the treadmill but I was tired today so worked out well. We still rode the stationary bike 15 min.

Dee - I actually sweat very very little when I work out ...probably because I do a pretty light workout. I sweat so little in fact that I often go right from the gym to shopping without a shower..in fact, I sweat more when I have a hot flash than I do from my workout! But everyone is different and you may workout harder than me too. You may be uncomfortable with the sweating but remember at a gym there should be a lot of sweating going on so I'm more likely the unusual one...just reread your post and maybe your club needs to set up some fans or open windows. You can ask to open a window...people do that at my gym. There is usually a nice draft blowing through..which I love. Sometimes my dh doesn't like the loud music (doesn't bother me), and he occasionally asks for the volume to be turned down and they do comply. Dee, you should be able to tell the thermostat setting in the little display on your thermostat unless yours is different than ours. You can also turn it down for a short time and after a while it will go back to the regular setting. At least we can. I learned that when I was too hot but hated to disturb dh's settings. Don't think he even noticed.

Bobbi - Well, as you know I LOVE our budget!! I would never ever live without one...people think I'm crazy I know...but I just love sitting here and looking at it these days. It just makes me feel so good that we have come so far in the last few years...of course if we'd started sooner we'd have been much better off now...but you have to start where you are. I'm glad you're liking your frugal lifestyle and as you budget, you'll probably start finding you have more discretionery income again in time just because of sticking to your budget. We have family who seem to have much much more money in the bank than we do, but we feel so good with what we have now and now and then I show dh (I do the budgeting) just so he can feel good too! We raised four children and I was a sahm for many years so that was part of it but a whole lot of our delay in getting it together financially was mostly due to lack of understanding/ignorance. 127 lbs! Omgosh! I cannot imagine weighing that little...you are my inspiration!! Now if you could just give me a big dose of your will power..

Isabella - My dh does the chocolate thing for me...hides them and doles them out little blocks at a time. I'm like your dh with the eating of them but thank goodness I don't get headaches. I like the s/p shakers!

Cajun - Congrats on the pounds lost!! So happy for you. So far, I'm just maintaining ...mostly...the last couple days I've been a bit higher so I decided to try to cut my calories back to 1400. Actually I put my new weight in and MFP cut me back to 1245, but I say 1400 so I don't feel so bad and also that's what my diabetic nutritionist recommended. So I'm saying 1200-1500 will be my range and I hope I can stick to it. I've been full enough..everytime I eat too much, I have to admit I've done it knowingly and feeling that I had a choice, so shame on me and I know I have to stop that and that I have the power to change.

Ginger - I have no problem eating too much so sorry, can't relate! I can only dream to have that problem! In previous programs I've been on they said no lower than 1000 if you are below 200 now and 1200 if you are over 200 now. Occasionally going lower is not a big deal in my opinion esp if you are simply not hungry and are getting enough nutrition....I think people need a whole lot less food than most eat. Just my 2 cents.

While typing this post, I've also bought tickets for the fire works display tomorrow night and signed my dh up for American Legion. Anyone else belong to that organization? Now I need to get some real work done!

Last edited by maryea; 07-03-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Closed Thread