Old 06-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 190/175/145

Height: 5'4"

Congrats, ShoBan. Any loss is a good one. I am sure there will be plenty of times when my scale won't move down, and may even go up....but it is the long haul.

Cinthia, congrats on starting to work out at the Y. That can't help but be a benefit. Let us know how it goes. We have a new Y in the next town. I have never been there, but I am going to check it out as soon as I can. I have a friend who goes, and I need to find out how much a membership is. I may not be able to join until my husband gets his settlement from being hurt on the job. Good Heavens, that is dragging on and on.
byugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #32  

Default question

Does anyone take metaformin? If so has it helped you lose weight? control carb cravings? My Dr. wants me to try it for insulin resistance/pcos. I crave carbs a lot, but do not register as a diabetic-thank goodness! I need to lose weight before that happens. Had a good 2 days, down 3 more lobs. but I did a lot of gardening!
cinthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #33  

Default waiting is hard

byugal-My husband is waiting for disability too....I hope yours comes thru soon.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 190/175/145

Height: 5'4"

My husband isn't waiting on disability. He is waiting on a settlement. He can't go back to work until they settle but they keep dragging it out...his lawyers keep sending him for more physical therapy, etc. (Padding the bill, I am sure). Meanwhile, he can out work most guys half his age.

Congrats on the loss!! I don't know anything about metaformin, but someone here probably does.
byugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 245/209/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Yes, I'm on Metformin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinthia View Post
Does anyone take metaformin? If so has it helped you lose weight? control carb cravings? My Dr. wants me to try it for insulin resistance/pcos. I crave carbs a lot, but do not register as a diabetic-thank goodness! I need to lose weight before that happens. Had a good 2 days, down 3 more lobs. but I did a lot of gardening!
Hi Cinthia, I've been on Metformin since December 2011. And for me, yes, it takes your appetite away, and I lost about 15 lbs. before I started IP. I registered as pre-diabetic, and this is one reason I want to lose the weight to get off these pills. Well, with my last visit, the Dr. reduced my Met. by one pill, so I'm taking 3 a day (1500mg.) Small steps! I don't know about the carb cravings, But I did notice the feeling of not wanting to eat everything in sight. Also the Dr. had me set up with a blood glucose monitor, that was the scariest at first. Now I'm getting so it doesn't bother me too much. Well, Cinthia, hope this little bit of info helps, and I need to get out and garden too, that's the best medicine! Good luck, keep in touch!
ShoBan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 279/223/132

Height: 5'1"

HI Shoban, I'm on my 2nd day of a personal health plan, I'm so happy to find a place where other 50+ are trying once again. Maybe we can do this together, I've a very long way to go down a path I've been down often before-Over 100 pds to go.
healthyginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #37  

byugal- I hope your husband's settlement comes thru soon. Glad he is Ok.

Shoban- Thanks for the info about metaformin.I'm going to start it tomorrow-maybe it will help me progress faster. Do you have bad side effects? Why do you want to get off of it? I don't like to take meds either, but if it helps me lose 90 lbs, I'll do it.
It was to hot to garden today-99!! I think I will walk the dog in the dark. Off to the y tomorrow.

Take care everyone!
Old 06-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #38  

Default welcome healthyginger

glad you are joining us! I to have lost and gained many times... I'm really hoping to lose it and keep it off this time. Please share any tips you may have for staying on track.also, if you need support, let us know!
Old 06-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #39  

I started last week and have lost 7 lbs. I'm on the road a lot so it is rough going into restaurants and just ordering meat and 2 cups of veggies. The shakes and drinks are good, much better than the store stuff.

Is there a list posted on this site of things people have found that are ok to eat and drink while on the Ideal Protein diet?
Kevin48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #40  

Default Hi Kevin

Glad you joined us! I am very interested as to why you choose ideal protein-can you share? I have thought about it, but in Md. it costs about 300 a week and that's not in my budget now. I am trying to do it on my own. I think their is an ideal protein group and it would probably have lists for you.
Good luck
Old 06-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #41  

My chiropractor introduced me to it and after all the testimonials I read I decided it was the diet I wanted to try. It is a little pricey and I have had to wait till summer when money was better to do it but so far I think it is worth it. This is my first diet of any kind and I really wanted something that would work. I know quite a few people first hand that have lost 40 -50 lbs in just 60 days. If I can do that I will be really happy.
Kevin48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #42  

IP does seem to work! I work with a teacher who lost 212 in a year and has kept off 190 it . He is young,32, which helps, but he has also started running.
I hope to lose 90 lbs. and walk an hour a day like I used to. You are smart to get the weight off, if this is your first time. If you find any alternative products that I might use, let me know.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hi girls! I have been on Metformin since 2008. I have lost weight, but I never contributed it to the Metformin. I have had 3 surgeries during this time and each time I had surgery I lost my appetite and lost about 15 lbs each time. I am struggling to keep that off and continue, but I don't want to keep having surgeries to do that! LOL
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #44  

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyginger View Post
HI Shoban, I'm on my 2nd day of a personal health plan, I'm so happy to find a place where other 50+ are trying once again. Maybe we can do this together, I've a very long way to go down a path I've been down often before-Over 100 pds to go.
Welcome! This site(3FC), has been such a BIG source of information. I've found recipes, and reading all the stories of wt. loss success, an struggles. Makes me feel like I can do it this time, and if I slip, get right back on. Don't give up, there's so many of us out there, to give words of encouragment an support. Good luck, and keep in touch!
Old 06-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #45  

Default Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin48 View Post
I started last week and have lost 7 lbs. I'm on the road a lot so it is rough going into restaurants and just ordering meat and 2 cups of veggies. The shakes and drinks are good, much better than the store stuff.

Is there a list posted on this site of things people have found that are ok to eat and drink while on the Ideal Protein diet?
Hi Kevin! yes there is a wealth of information on this site, click back to the 3FC weight Loss community>Diet Central>Packaged Meals and Clinics>type in Ideal Protein Diet, and it'll show all sorts of threads dealing with IP. Very informative.