Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Hi GG's,

Just checking in...I had a pretty good weekend and resisted the festival foods, but last Friday was terrible and I ate too much pizza at work. :-( Yesterday I was OP and I exercised an hour but no loss yet.

Lynn, sorry to hear about the troubles in your over 50 community. I have wondered about them and if I'd like living in one when the kids leave the nest - do you think they're all that bad? Does anyone else here live in such a community?

Hi to everyone!

Andi

Last edited by WebWoman; 06-05-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #62  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Morning...beautiful and sunny here. We (dh helped) got all the raspberries weeded yesterday and today I'll get to the small asparagus patch, that needs weeding too. I hate planting, I hate harvesting, but love to weed. How weird is that? DH and I work well together, although we yell sometimes. Speaking of hollering Lynn, maybe you just happened to have 50+ residents that are quarrelsome and have been that way all their lives. I'm thinking you should boot them out if they continually bother the other residents.

Andi... we're thinking about moving into a retirement community after our beloved Charlie is gone. We have too much work out here on the acreage to contend with. Both DH and I are still healthy but DH tires out easy and I don't want him having a heart attack. I think Lynn is the only one living in a retirement community.

Marie...I was thinking the same thing when I saw Kai's picture, burrow my nose in the fur. DH brushes out Charlie every morning and comes up with huge piles of hair, he's shedding his winter coat. You probably have enough to weave a rug with 4 dogs!

Cajun...I'd go the consignment shops, just shakes them well before bring in the house and wash immediately.

Mary...let us know if you find a new approach to losing and keeping the weight off with your new books.

Rosey...we have moms in cut off jeans with their tots in our local pool, I'm thinking it wouldn't be a big deal but you never know until you try. You can sit on the cement with your feet in the pool if nothing else.

Freda..funny you should mention this old gal, yesterday while weeding I was thinking of my flabby arms and how they got that way. If this gal was tilling at her age, what did her arms look like? .
Quote:
I had a little 96 year old lady for a patient Saturday. She was wonderful! on 2 pills. I want to be her when I grow up. She said her secret was exercise (she was outside tilling her garden when she fell and broke her hip) and dark chocolate. Can't argue with that!
I better quit gabbing and get to work.
On a bright note, Home Depot sent us a $100.00 gift certificate yesterday in the mail. They called DH a few weeks ago and asked how the kitchen remodeling went at DD's house. He let them have it about how they were not measured right, some didn't fit and had to be reorders, etc.
I would like to put the money back on the bill but we can't. We split the bill with Tiffany and have 1 year interest free to pay it off. Our part of the bill is $200.00 a month, we really squeak by each month. Using up food in the pantry and freezer is sure helping. Marie, I did copy your freezer method and wrote everything down we had in it. I printed out the list and have it taped to the freezer, crossing off items as we use/eat it. Today's menu is throwing some chicken breast in the crock pot with some frozen chicken broth, using some of the broth for some stuffing bread cubes I also found in the freezer. We're really getting into the habit now and easier than I thought. When buying canned items, I'm now writing the date on top so I know how old they are. Cooking doesn't seem to be as much fun since I'm using up what we have instead of buying more.

KarenMo...good deal on the church organ, how did it sound? In my daily devotional, they were talking about how church programs have changed, more contemporary music and loss of organ music. I hate that, our church only sings contemporary music. Many older members have complained, we'd like some hymns but the music director won't listen to us. I called around to see if other churches do traditional music, I found one church that does both. Our church wants to keep the young people in the church, playing youthful music. They are not the ones supporting it financially, it's the older folks. Okay, now I'm getting upset...gotta run.
Hi everyone I missed.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 06-05-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #63  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG’s,

One day down, three more to go. Kind of dreary looking out there this morning.

Kind of a frustrating evening last night. I’m about to vent ~ forgive me.

Got a text on the way home last night from DH ~ he had gotten a free movie rental from Red Box (We bought a Zoo) and wanted to know if I wanted to watch it. If I was interested, Maddie wanted to come watch with me. Ok, that sounded like fun. So, I hurried up and ate supper (done and ready to watch by 8pm), then waited and waited. DH got a message from Sara that she and Maddie would be over in about an hour. I wondered at this as by that time there wouldn’t be that much time left until Maddie’s bed time, but thought once in a while, probably Sara lets her stay up later. At 9pm then, got a message from Sara that Maddie wasn’t coming, but to go ahead and start the movie ~ Sara said she might come over. So, I began watching, Sara, I guess decided not to come, but didn’t let me know. I started getting sleepy and had to go to bed, so didn’t finish the movie ~ if Sara had been there, I probably would have stayed up and watched with her, but felt that because it was just me, I didn’t feel like I was letting anyone down by not finishing it at that time. Went and told DH that I got too sleepy to finish it and could we rent it another time as I would like to see the end of it. Here’s the Grrrrr part ~ he said sure ~ when the next free rental time came around. I asked when that would be ~ next month. He is serious about this frugality thing. I told him that I work and I don’t think it is an outrageous request to ask to rent the movie again for one day (cost $1.20/day) so I could finish watching it. The man will try to get away with as much as he can until I put my foot down. What bothers me about that is that I end up feeling like a witch when I do put my foot down.

Can’t live with ‘em, can’t live without ‘em. He has his good qualities, but can be trying sometimes.

Almost time to head out to work. The sun is shining now, and got a text from DH that if he gets the movie returned before 9pm, he doesn’t have to pay extra, so if I am lucky enough to get out on time, I can finish watching it and DH will be happy to have saved his $1.20. Things are looking up

Hope you all have a nice day.

Take care
Old 06-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #64  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good morning! I have alundry going and waiting for a man to come and give us an estimate on a vinyl privacy fence for the back yard. Pretty nice day.

Bobbi, the curches around here usually have a Traditional, Blended and then a contemporary service so people can have their choice. We go to the traditional with the hymns I would say 95% of the time. Once in awhile I like to go and get a taste of the guitars, drums and all the other things that make up the contemporary. But mostly prefer the traditional service. I like that they are wanting to bring the younger generation in, but shouldn't at the expense of us "Oldies"!! One of the churches here has the three services every Sunday plus another service that is all in Spanish.

My sister just texted me to see if I wanted to walk....I was up early when it was cool but got started on cleanng up a bit around here before this man comes so told her I would have to do it later this evening or tomorrow. Shoot, I may just walk to her house tomorrow for Bible study! Then if we go to eat lunch I will ride with her. Sounds like a plan

Well better get going and get a little bit more done--- I NEED COFFEE!!!
Old 06-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Good morning goldies!!
Today is weighing in day and I'm so excited to say that I have been a good girl this week and it payed off. I've lost 6 lbs this week. I feel so motivated. I knew I had al loss because I could feel it on my body. I've never experienced actually feeling the weight come off.

Gayle sorry to hear about losing and gaining the same lbs. I've done that so many times only it was 20 to 30 lbs so 2 to 3 is not that bad because when you gain and lose only 2 or 3 you are actually maintaining. So that's not bad.

Karen- I hope your dr visit went ok.

Freda- I've been to a dance recital where they use the dads in the little girls dance and it is so cute. Makes for a good laugh. Thanks for the tips about my clothes situation. Your right it's a good problem to have.

Rosey I hope you are enjoying your time with grandson. I don't think I would ever get in swimsuit again but shorts and shirt I might. Lol

Mary- after you look at the books maybe you can share with us what it's about. Maybe it will help us all.

Marie thanks about changing the look for the same jeans. That's what I've been doing. I just hate washing and wearing. We often camp on weekends and I need more clothes. Just will have to get more.

Lady that's what I might have to do. Thats just the price I will have to pay for losing weight.

All have a good day!!!!
Old 06-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #66  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hello Gals. The "patient" is lounging on the couch watching TV and I'm reading the thread. He had a good check-up today with the public health nurse and probably won't have to see her again.

I've gone from hardly eating while DH was in hospital to stuffing myself now that he's home. His birthday was yesterday and although he wasn't up to a big party (which he hates at the best of times) I had party food around because his mother, brothers and sisters would be dropping in for a piece of cake, etc. DH didn't want a big cake this year and requested cupcakes. That was good because I've frozen the left-overs and they'll be much better defrosted one at a time than half a cake.

Gayle, I'm sure I'd be in prison for murder if DH denied a $1.20 movie rental. I never ask if I can spend money unless it's an unusually large amount that needs discussing. What was the name of the movie?

Cajun, I buy lots of clothing at Goodwill stores. Just last week I bought 2 beautiful blouses for $1 each. When I get down to goal I love buying new stuff but until then it's someone elses cast-offs.

Lynn, you're going to have to put those fighting seniors in time out chairs. I'd say it's time to put in your resignation from the board. Actually, I have friends who live in an adult gated community and they have similar problems with some of the condo owners.

Karen31, my cousin's son is an organist. I love hearing him play.

Well, I gotta go put more wood in the furnace. It's been unusually cold, cold, cold here and the weather man has started calling June, Junuary. Brrr. Had to bring in wood this morning. I am woman, hear me roar!

Take care. xoxoxo
Old 06-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #67  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Lynn, so your neighbors have nothing better to do with their time than bicker, huh? That would be annoying. Get yourself off that board.

Andi, try Lynn’s way of the ½ diet when eating pizza at work. It might help.

Bobbi, I don’t have to weave the rug. The pups shed so much they leave a layer that looks like carpet. This morning I swept it all up and when I got home, it was hard to tell I’d broomed.

Gayle, at the cheapness of your DH on the $1.20 movie rental. It wasn’t your fault the movie started so late and you fell asleep. Geez. I hope you get out on time and get to watch it so your DH will be appeased.

KarenMO, you’ll need a privacy fence for a pool. You know you want one.

Cajun, WTG on the big loss. That’s fabulous.

Isabella, yes, Junuary. DH started a fire after work and it’s pleasantly heating my house to winter temps. My pool? Not this week. And it might snow in a little higher elevations tonight. Yah, 400 feet higher than our house. DH had to scrape the frost off his windshield this am. Junuary. I like that.

Gotta run but at least I’m trying to keep up here.
Marie
Old 06-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #68  
Empress/Queen

Ladyinweighting, C25K is the Couch to 5K running program. I have an app for it and am working my way through it.

Woot is just a fun word invoking enthusiasm.

To all, mentioned or un- have a great Wednesday.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #69  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning GG's,

I"m setting here wrapped in a blanket. Can't believe it's this cold this time of year. At least the sun looks like the sun is trying to peak out. Didn't get much done yesterday. Picked the kids up, fed them, and then it was games untill almost 8:30. Today isn't going to be much different. I do need to get outside and do some weeding some time today. Things are just not growing, thanks, i'm sure, to this cool weather. And I discovered that something had eaten the leaves off one of the tomatoes that I babied all spring.

Bobbi, My friend lives in a condo and is on the board also. It has it's good points and bad. You don't have to worry about the lawn or painting outside but it's also restricting. You have very little leeway for individuality. No tomato plants, even in pots. You pay a maintenance feel every month. And she just got hit with a $10,000. bill for a new roof and some up grades.

Andi, Eating at work is always a problem. You never know what's going to be brought in to tempt you. Pizza is fine. Just have one piece and a large salad.

Marie, Cold there too huh? A fire would feel good.

Isabella, I'm glad to hear that DD is doing well. For him and for you! Men can be such babies when they are sick, they are always sicker than we are.

karen, The organ is impressive. You have a very progressive Church if they have services for everyone. Actually, I enjoy them all.

Cajunlady, Congratulations on the 6 pounds. That's another size! I think you might be surprised at what you find at used clothing stores, especially if you go to a better one. Visit a few, there is a difference. I go to one in a high end neighborhood and find lots of really good, brand name things.

Gayle, Shame on DD. My husband is as frugal (stingey) as they come, but even he wouldn't complain about that. Of course I wouldn't ask him either, so maybe that's the difference? Good for you for standing up.

Freda
Old 06-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #70  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Hi
Old 06-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 281/214/165

Height: 5'2"

Good morning. How is everyones day so far?

Freda Isabella I wish you could send some of that cold air here. It hit 98degrees yesterday. It was so humid. The minute I went outside I instantly started to sweat.

Isabella I'm glad to hear your husband is recovering nicely.

Hi Bobbi,Karen ,Gayle, Lynne,Rosey,Mary, Andi,Marie
Old 06-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

I had a strange issue at the cardiologist yesterday. She was reviewing my blood test from last week & said that according to the test, I had a problem with my kidneys. It was functioning at about 50% of normal. I asked if the UTI could have anything to do with this. She said no, but the antibiotics might have. I had to go immediately to the local hospital so that she could get the results fast. She called me yesterday afternoon & said that yesterday’s test showed no problems. I was pretty sure this would be the case. I must go again next week, just to be sure.

She was VERY happy about 6 lbs lost since last time I saw here. I am officially out of the “obese” area – 30 BMI. I am now at 29 BMI.

My BP was not as low as she wants it, but she doesn’t want to change any of my meds until she sees next week’s blood test.

Always something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWoman View Post
Lynn, sorry to hear about the troubles in your over 50 community. I have wondered about them and if I'd like living in one when the kids leave the nest - do you think they're all that bad? Does anyone else here live in such a community?
Hi Andi,

I DEFINITELY advise AGAINST it. People are old and sick and cranky and have TOO much time on their hands. If I get out of here, I will NEVER again live in one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Lynn, maybe you just happened to have 50+ residents that are quarrelsome and have been that way all their lives. I'm thinking you should boot them out if they continually bother the other residents. [/COLOR][/COLOR]
Hi Bobbi,

If I “booted out” all of the quarrelsome residents, there would only be about 5 of us left. The other 25 all have taken up sides against each other. Unfortunately, when you are on the board, no matter what you do, you anger about half the residents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynne View Post
Got a text on the way home last night from DH ~ he had gotten a free movie rental from Red Box (We bought a Zoo) and wanted to know if I wanted to watch it. If I was interested, Maddie wanted to come watch with me. Ok, that sounded like fun. So, I hurried up and ate supper (done and ready to watch by 8pm), then waited and waited. DH got a message from Sara that she and Maddie would be over in about an hour. I wondered at this as by that time there wouldn’t be that much time left until Maddie’s bed time, but thought once in a while, probably Sara lets her stay up later. At 9pm then, got a message from Sara that Maddie wasn’t coming, but to go ahead and start the movie ~ Sara said she might come over. So, I began watching, Sara, I guess decided not to come, but didn’t let me know. I started getting sleepy and had to go to bed, so didn’t finish the movie ~ if Sara had been there, I probably would have stayed up and watched with her, but felt that because it was just me, I didn’t feel like I was letting anyone down by not finishing it at that time. Went and told DH that I got too sleepy to finish it and could we rent it another time as I would like to see the end of it. Here’s the Grrrrr part ~ he said sure ~ when the next free rental time came around. I asked when that would be ~ next month. He is serious about this frugality thing. I told him that I work and I don’t think it is an outrageous request to ask to rent the movie again for one day (cost $1.20/day) so I could finish watching it. The man will try to get away with as much as he can until I put my foot down. What bothers me about that is that I end up feeling like a witch when I do put my foot down.
Hi Gayle,

There are definitely advantages to living alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen31 View Post
My sister just texted me to see if I wanted to walk....I was up early when it was cool but got started on cleanng up a bit around here before this man comes so told her I would have to do it later this evening or tomorrow. Shoot, I may just walk to her house tomorrow for Bible study! Then if we go to eat lunch I will ride with her. Sounds like a plan
Hi Karen,

Nice that you have your sister close enough to walk with. My sister is about 2 hours from me. Happily, she is coming down this weekend. Her birthday is on Friday. She loves to swim at my gym so we will do the arthritis session in the hot pool on Monday. I am planning to have a little surprise birthday party for her on Sunday evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunlady165 View Post
Today is weighing in day and I'm so excited to say that I have been a good girl this week and it payed off. I've lost 6 lbs this week. I feel so motivated. I knew I had al loss because I could feel it on my body. I've never experienced actually feeling the weight come off.
Hi Cajun,
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! 6 lbs in a week is BIGGEST LOSER land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredone View Post
Lynn, you're going to have to put those fighting seniors in time out chairs. I'd say it's time to put in your resignation from the board. Actually, I have friends who live in an adult gated community and they have similar problems with some of the condo owners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
Lynn, so your neighbors have nothing better to do with their time than bicker, huh? That would be annoying. Get yourself off that board.
Hi Isabella & Marie,

I would LOVE to resign from the board. However, I feel really sorry for 2 of the other 4 board members. I hate to leave them to deal with all this mess – (lawyers, suits, poison-pen letters).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarantha2 View Post
Ladyinweighting, C25K is the Couch to 5K running program. I have an app for it and am working my way through it.
Hi Amy,

Thank you for the clarification. Will you actually be “running” the 5K? I did a ½ marathon last September, but I walked (finished the 13.1 miles in under 4 hours). I am doing a 5 K in June, but again, it will be walking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me View Post
My friend lives in a condo and is on the board also. It has it's good points and bad. You don't have to worry about the lawn or painting outside but it's also restricting. You have very little leeway for individuality. No tomato plants, even in pots. You pay a maintenance feel every month. And she just got hit with a $10,000. bill for a new roof and some up grades
Hi Freda,

I like the part about leaving the outside stuff to others – especially the snow removal. I don’t even mind the restrictions – it helps to keep the place looking nice. The only part I HATE is the pettiness.

I lived in a condo for about 10 years before I moved here – but NOT one that was over 50. I had no problems there.

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 06-06-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #73  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good morning everyone! Getting ready to go to the Bible study this morning. It started out with just my aunt and my sister and I and now we have two more cousins joining us! I know we will be doing something for lunch after--not sure what or where yet.

I called a place called Hot Tub Mafia and waiting to hear back from them. They have some good prices on hot tubs on the internet anyway.. Got a email from them that they were on vacation and would be back today. Sure would be nice to have that next step settled. We did buy a storage building and it is being built and will be delivered the beginning of the week. Had a man out from Lowes to give us an estimate on the fence for the back yard, we would like to get the vinyl privacy fence but really need to think about the cost---it will be a little over $5000 to have it installed. But then there shouldn't be much maintenance afterwards. Anybody have any experience with the vinyl fencing? And then the next step will be the hot tub. Unless, something else pops up and has to be taken care of first.

OK, glad to hear that some have been losing the pounds--- sad to say I think I found them! Need to get focused again!!

Everyone have a good day.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #74  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Hola, All...

Geez, a couple of days away, and there's no catching up! So, I'll just start over....

Lynn - I can just imagine the petty angst around your complex. When I had to do a stint in the nursing home/assisted living during nursing school, one of the things that really bothered me (beyond the 90 degree furnace setting!) was the continual sniping and whining.... I suspect that your neighbors might be budding assisted living potentials!

Marie - still working too hard? Rie - how's your trip or how was your trip?

I feel like I'm posting blind here, so I'm going to just give up the battle and will hopefully start anew on the morrow.

KarenFL/MO, Freda, Gayle (did you ever get to finish the movie???), Rosey (have you and Steve signed a contract yet?), Isabella, anyone and everyone... have a lovely rest of the day!
Old 06-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #75  

just a flyby hope your days great. Jess what contract? rosey
Closed Thread