Old 05-06-2012, 04:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 168/see ticker/147

Height: 5'5"

Default Is this an excuse?

Lovely to have a forum with experienced dieters just trying to live their life as well as they can, and willing to share the insights!
Is it just me, I am trying to lose about 20 lbs, eating to plan is difficult enough but I feel a bit embarrassed about exercising in public! Like I think just young people should be out on their bicycles and a 56yr old "lump" looks a bit sad!! It's probably my twisted perception but I kind of think I should be working in our family business or doing house work instead of looking after myself. I really can't figure out why I think like this as if I see any one out running, cycling etc I have great admiration for them! Any thoughts or similar feelings?
Milly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:22 AM   #2  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

[QUOTE=Milly1;432251 I really can't figure out why I think like this as if I see any one out running, cycling etc I have great admiration for them! [/QUOTE]

If you're thinking that surely others are thinking it too! We have to take great care of ourselves so that we are able to better care for the ones we love.

Last edited by losermom; 05-06-2012 at 06:23 AM.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #3  

Thanks losermum.
Your probably right, just don't see it about me!!
You have done well maintaining your loss!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #4  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Milly ~ like you, when I see older people or overweight people out exercising ~ walking, bike riding, what ever. I admire them and hope that others feel the same way about me, when they see me out there. I feel like an old lump out there too.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:25 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I don't find it productive to judge the legitimacy of my obstacles. They're all just obstacles. When I decide that it's an excuse, I feel guilty and stupid for having the difficulty. When I decide that it's a legitimate reason, I tend to think of the obstacle as insurmountable and permanent.

When I think of obstacles, and ask myself what can I do to remove or reduce the obstacle, I find ways over or around the obstacle.

So there you go. You don't have an excuse, you have an obstacle, so what are you going to do to get around or over the obstacle.

You can do nothing and accept the obstacle, or you can find ways around, over, or through it.

Embarassment over moving (and even being) in public was one of my obstacles. When it came to swimming, I got over it (at a young age) because I loved swimming so much and still do. The walk to the water sometimes felt like a death march, but I felt protected once I was in the water (which is kind of silly, since the water is transparent, but I let my silly mind game work for me).

When I bought a bike a few years ago, I was terrified of riding it, and was convinced everyone was staring and laughing. But then I started thinking "so what." I wasn't afraid to act silly in front of people I cared about, so why worry about it with people I don't. I started thinking "if I look funny/silly let them laugh, most of them won't mean it cruelly, and the ones who do mean it cruelly aren't worthy of my respect or care. Let idiots laugh - they're idiots - who cares what an idiot thinks?"

It's a "mind game" but I find that most mind games end up only having to be used temporarily. Once you get comfortable, you stop caring/obsessing/worrying about it. So you fake it until you can make it.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:36 AM   #6  
Betsey

S/C/G: 232.2/185.5/160

Height: 5'10

Milly,

I am 24 years old and go to anytime fitness. I hate working out infront of others and the way I cope with it is going to the gym very late when there is only usually one or two other people. Granted, I am lucky as that works with my schedule.

One of the people who shows up at the gym when I am there is an older lady. She comes in for about and hour and kills her workout. Some nights, I am motivated to go just to see her lifting weights and spending lots of time walking/jogging on the treadmill. I have to say that she is someone that I admire. She takes time for herself and does amazing when she is working out no matter who is around.

Be proud that you're taking time for you and never under estimate who you might be impacting by just getting out and taking time to make a better you!
bt2155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:48 AM   #7  

Oh thank you so much for the encouragement and mindset information. Just back from a 5 ml cycle and I do have a right to spend time on myself Let's keep up the good work one day at a time!