Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #61  

Hi everyone. here i thought spring was comming and its snowing blah did some errands today and dh had a dr apt. hes now off blood thinners and has an apt to see the surg tomorow to schedule his shoulder surg. my dd is in anchorage,making a stop at her sisters,not sure if they will be here tonite ot in the morning i snapped a few puppy pics toots like to sleep in dh slipper.so CUTE. hope your evenings pleasent rosey

breakfast
coffee
greek yogurt

lunch
1/2 sand with turkey,lettuce and tomatoes
iced tea, kellogs cracker chips

snack
coffee mocha (never tire of them )

dinner
cabbage roll hot dish 1 cup
grapes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HaileyandParker2010 105.jpg (13.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg HaileyandParker2010 102.jpg (24.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #62  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG’s,

I am trying to be back on track. Weighed myself this morning and sadly have gained back all but one pound of what I took off doing weight watchers, and am only 9 pounds away from my highest ever weight. Could be why my knees are screaming again I usually do pretty well during the day (unless I have to struggle with cookies and stuff that is sometimes in the break room at work). Thankfully none of that there today. The other day, I scarfed down two cookies before I could even think ~ it seemed. I kept saying over and over to myself today ~ this foolishness has got to stop. So, I did fine during the day. This evening, I was still pretty good ~ ate good things ~ salad, fat free refried beans (for some protein) and banana and orange mixed ~ I just didn’t measure. So, I was semi successful. I also made it out of Walmart without giving in to any snacky stuff.

Deelee ~ these parents are a challenge aren’t they. I live in Houston and mine are in Ohio. I am only able to help as best as I can via the phone. My sister lives about 5 hours away from them and is retired now and gets up there (she lives in Kentucky) maybe every couple or 3 months. They (well, my dad) runs her ragged with running of errands. Poor sis. I wish I lived closer to help them.

Rosey ~ that is a cute pic of Toots ~ is that the slipper that Gizmo gave her a ride in?

Bobbi ~ thank you for the mapquest help. Regarding the wearing of black scrubs ~ you may be sorry you asked. Poor Donna asked and has listened to me vent about it. The employer says that we all need to wear the same color to look more professional. I can see their point ~ so when people walk into a patient’s room, the patient/families will know what kind of job we are gonna do by what color we wear. But black ~ geesh. We got to vote ~ they had a table with the colors we could choose from. Black should not have even been a choice if the leaders had had any sense. They said black won the vote ~ I think someone is lying to us. Our charge nurse took an informal poll of the patients and families and they did not like the idea of black ~ they wanted bright cheerful colors. They were gonna let us wear what ever colors/prints we wanted to on Fridays, but some stupid man patient ~ when asked his opinion ~ piped up with a sassy remark and said ~ what ~ you don’t want to look professional on Fridays? So, we lost our “free” Fridays. What I don’t get is how that one man’s opinion could count like that and the opinions of all the other people (patient’s and families) did not count at all.

They said we could have trim on them, so I thought ~ by golly, I can sew ~ I am gonna have some trim. That is what I have been working on (as well as shortening the pants ~ everything is always too long ~ LOL). My evil twisted side ~ when I went looking to see what was available for trims, saw some ribbon with skulls on it ~ I thought to myself ~ if they are gonna make us wear that morbid color ~ skulls would go perfectly with the black garb.

Ok, sorry ~ I spent too much time venting ~ again ~ about the scrubs. Do you get the idea I hate, hate, hate that? I have run out of time and had better get to bed. Sorry I didn’t get very many personals done tonight.

Hope you all rest well.

Take care

Here are the trims I am going to put on my black scrubs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woven flower trim.jpg (10.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg purple zebra trim.jpg (16.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg peace symbol trim.jpg (14.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg pink and black daisy trim.jpg (16.7 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by glynne; 04-05-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Gayle - I have been in the hospital so often in the past couple years that I feel like the nurses/techs are my friends. LOL The last time I was there in December they were all talking about the new dress code going into effect the first of the year. It was to inform people of which job you did, but it is navy blue for nurses and royal blue for techs. The colors are so close that most people won't know the difference. I think it should have been a completely different color, like maybe green for one group. The home nurses don't exactly follow the dress code, but then, management doesn't see them.

Deelee - I take metformin, and I get it free so it doesn't bother me to take it. One local grocery store gives certain diabetic meds and antibiotics free. It is a government program. They say that it helps with weight loss. I have lost weight, but I contributed my weight loss to my recent surgeries. I know some people have side effects from metformin, but I never did.

Maryea and Isabella - I have been growing my hair out a little longer lately, too. It's difficult because it's so thick. I found that with it a little longer I don't have to wash it every day and that's good because my hair and scalp get so dry. I usually don't make it through the summer without getting it cut because I end up so hot. We'll see what happens this summer.

Rosey - That's so cute with the little doggie in the slipper! My dogs like to lay their head on our shoes. One time one of our dogs pooped in DH's shoe! LOL Better his than mine! This morning we dropped our Maltese off at the groomers for his Easter haircut. I took him outside before we left but he wouldn't do his business. Don't you know he decided to do it while we were walking into the groomers!!! I had to clean it up. DH was sitting in the car laughing at me! Darn dog. But I do love him to pieces.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #64  

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone! Went to the gym this morning...we walked the track for 10 min and then did our usual thing. Our youngest dd will be here next week so I am trying to plan things for the kids and need to buy diapers for the youngest as she is not always interested in the potty thing. I like to have them here as I know my dd has a lot to pack already and it's esp difficult when they fly as they are this time. They will be looking for a house in Portland on this trip as they plan to move when school is out. Yesterday we bought some flower bulbs and dh went to the store for some soil to get them planted. He is also picking up some more lumber as we finally have a man coming Sat to replace the rotten wood on the roof. Not sure how much he will have to replace so still not sure how much it will cost. Dh is wanting me to start planning our winter travels in order to have some timeshare reservations in place. We can always change or cancel if necessary. I'm having a hard time getting my head around it though since it's so far off and I think we will have another trip in between now and then which is still not planned.

I found some vanilla soy milk I'd forgotten about in the small fridge in the garage! It was dated 7/11! But it smells and tastes fine so I've been trying to use it up quickly. Have been making a lot of different type smoothies with it. This morning, I mixed it with some acai berry and pomgranate juice, added 1/2 banana, 1 T protein powder and a pinch of Splenda...it was very good! Some mornings I put spinach in it for a green smoothie. It's been fun trying different things. Just have to count the carbs as I throw them in to make sure I don't have more than 3 serv. Usually I only have 2 for breakfast because I like to have something between meals too. My bs have mostly been good recently.

I'm trying to sell the pair of DAWGS shoes I won as they are a little short for me. I have them on Craigslist in my area but so far no takers. They are valued at $55 but I'm selling them for $30. Good for a woman who is on her feet a lot but they are black so nurses probably cannot wear them. I should have got white but I didn't want the nurse look for myself and was hoping they would fit me. But if any of you are interested, here's the link with the description. https://post.craigslist.org/manage/2939923644 Not sure what the postage would be but they are pretty lightweight shoes. I have offered the water dispenser to our church and I think they are going to take it. Just waiting for someone with a pickup or big enough SUV or something to pick it up. We miss our pickup when we need to move something large.

Slmn11 - Yeah, I'm wondering how I'll do this summer with my longer hair. We don't get a lot of hot weather but usually get a week or two. I need to get my hair shaped up I think...the sides are getting so big. It grows kind of crazy!

Glynne - We're in the same boat with gaining back the pounds we lost. Discouraging but that's where the life style change comes in I guess...we have to diet in such a way that it is something we can maintain over time. We can do it, Glynne, I know we can. Just keep working on it and it will help your knees too.

Karen3 - Armadillos? Gators? I knew there was a reason we didn't move to Florida!!

Deelee - I used to tell myself that when I am 85 I will eat whatever I want! I'm not quite so sure about that now that I'm almost 70 but there does come a time when you want to forget it and just enjoy what you can I think even when you know your health may suffer. I keep hoping I'll learn good eating habits and not care about the junk as I age but not sure that will ever happen. I've seen the result of being a diabetic and not taking care of oneself but it doesn't mean it's any easier to be good. LOL I've thought about the facial hair thing myself. I hope one of my kids will do it for me but who knows. GFY on the Easter dinner...sounds fun.

I'm on a statin. My legs were aching badly but I'm now on CoQ Enzyme 10 (think I got that right?) and it seems to help. I'm wondering though about my mental focus and memory...seems like it's getting worse ..heard that statins can cause that.

Dh's stress test went well..waiting for results of course. But they told him for his age he did very well.

You all have a great day!

ETA: Just realized that link for the shoes doesn't work. I also noticed I had my ad in the wrong category!! Might help to be in the right category! So if you are interested go to:
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/clo/2939923644.html
Sorry about that.

Last edited by maryea; 04-05-2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: correction
Old 04-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #65  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Deelee, you are a good daughter. I have a daughter and am quite sure she’d never do my toenails or pluck chin hairs. You’ll be in good company. You mom is just quite lucky.

KarenFL, who needs TV when you have your armadillo fun???

Rosey, yay on your DD making it to your house and DH being able to schedule his shoulder surgery. Perhaps the nickname mr crankypants won’t fit after that.

Still coughing and miserable. This cold is in my head and my chest. I have thanked my DH profusely for bringing germs home from work and sharing them. Actually, I feel bad because he keeps apologizing for getting sick and then getting me sick again. He is a sweetie.
Marie
Old 04-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Hi Golden Chicks -

I am so ready for the remodeling to be over…but it’s not. The fact that I’m cooking for 14 people on Sunday hit me last night when I went to the market after long day with dear parents. Decided to have several side dishes and salad made there! DS is coming home tomorrow afternoon! OMG - I miss counted. We will be 15 for dinner! The only reason that is more of a problem is because it’s really more fun if we are all at the table. I like having the little kids - there are only 2of them, there. My DH puts in extra boards and braces, etc. but we’ve never gone this big. My dining room opens on to the entryway so several people will be sitting in the hall. Oval table is hard to expand…I’m going to have to put on my thinking cap…The one time I tried a “kids” table - none of the kids sat there. It was me, my DM, and a friend.

Gayle - yes the parents become very high maintenance. I live about 40 minutes away. My brother is 15 away but sometimes he has to work a lot of overtime. It is hard when you live far away. It sounds like your mom’s problem is more physical than the Alzheimer’s that both my parents have. And you have a very nice relationship with your mom. I’m sure she loves your phone calls as much as you do. Don’t underestimate the importance of that. You can only do what you can. People have to work. My brother and I have become closer and are very supportive of each other. And I couldn’t do it all without my DH. He is less emotional plus they are not his parents. He helps me with the tough decisions. My brother too. We really had a nice day with my parents yesterday. My mom has the opposite of sun downing. So by the afternoon, she was actually getting my jokes and we had a great laugh like we did years ago. DF won’t remember it. Not sure about DM. DF tells friends that he never sees his kids. LOL!

I love all the colorful scrubs that the medical people wear! One of the nurses at my allergist’s office has a deep purple one that is I covet! At the local hospitals, they all wear light blue. When we were kids the nurses wore all white. Now that I think of it, when I was a Candy Striper, (remember those?) I was in a red and white pinafore, (that dates me,) the R.N.s wore white dresses, the LPN wore a light gray dress. Black bottoms would be good, with a colorful top.
That is a very cute picture of you and Maddie! She is adorable.

Carole Sue/Maryea - Thanks for the info. I have not noticed any side effects from Metformin. My DM is only 80. I agree that you should be able to eat anything you want when you’re 85!

Thanks Marie - I’m sorry you have a bad cold. That’s just miserable when you’re recovering from surgery. I hope you feel better fast.

Just got off the phone with DF. He doesn’t remember that he saw me yesterday. (We spent 7 hours with them. ) My mom remembered though. She said yesterday she had fun. That’s progress!

I hope everyone has a nice evening.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #67  
ALASKA

S/C/G: 254/239/195

Height: 5'10

Hello All,
Everyone's Easter plans sound fun. I miss our family get together's.

Rosey your puppy is just precous. My kitty looks like a giant compared to him(or her?)

Marie sure hope you feel better. I just hate being sick !

karenFl your armadillo story was funny. I can just see that in my mind so clear.

KarenMo good to see your around,working hard. My sis is looking forward to your call one day when your settled. I know that can take awhile. She say's your weather has been so nice this spring really warm.

Its almost friday. Going to lunch with a friend tomorrow. looking forward to it.

Have a great evening. Brenda

Last edited by ladysheets; 04-05-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello everyone and Welcome to all the new GG's that have came since I was gone. I don't think that I will ever be able to get caught up with everyone so think I will just start fresh.

Marie, sorry to hear that you are feeling bad hope you feel better soon.

Rosie, glad to hear that your DD made it your home safe and sound... I'll bet you are all smiling from ear to ear!! And Tootsie is just adorable!!! I went with my sister today to look at some pups at the shelter but nothing was just eye catching to her. She had a little chihuahua up until about 1 1/2 years ago and she died. She was so good and just wandered into their yard one evening and that was like 10 years ago. So she is missing her and thinks if she finds a pup that "WOWS" her she may be ready to get another.

Gayle, I like the trims that you chose for your scrubs. I can't believe that they chose black for the color either...I think something more cheery is needed myself. But guess you just have to do what they have decided.

Mary, sounds like you sure won a lot last month. I tried that for a little bit but guess I just don't have the patience. Your smoothies sound pretty good. I have my Magic Bullet sitting on the counter and have been using it everyday. Love it!!

Karen3-- sounds like life is never dull where you live! I'd like to come to Florida sometime to visit but I don't know that I would want to live there. WHo knows-- once I got there maybe I wouldn't want to leave! NO MORE MOVES!!

Donna, glad you got that snow that you did... are the fires pretty much contained now? I heard it was an out of control, controlled burn!! Will they never learn? That is what caused the Hayman fire years ago too. Too scary!!

Zoe, it would have been fun to meet you if the situation would have been different. It was pretty tough with Tim back there for his Dad's funeral and me here packing like a mad woman!! But maybe we will get back there in the near future to visit family and can make arrangements to meet somewhere. The year and a half we lived there back in 1970 I never did even get my tootsies wet in the ocean!! They were having a bad time and every beach we went to was closed. So I am still looking forward to doing that.

Bobbi, I showed Tim the pictures of your truck and he thinks that it would look very nice in his garage! My sister and her hubby are in the middle of restoring a '56 Chevy "AGAIN" It was caught in the tornado back in May, but it was in the garage with a NEW Lexus---the Lexus was totaled.

Well, I know I have probably left some out and I don't intend to. I will try to get caught up and get some pictures of the house once we get it all straightened out. Sure seems to be taking a long time.

Have a good night everyone!
Old 04-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Evening all...Had a busy day and our million dollar dog has 2 more months of pills. I changed the bed skirt on my bed to today and vaccumed all the weird thingys that get way down deep under there. Shredded old bills and cleaned out two cabinets in my room. Will go thru the Nancy box tomorrow and claim that area back for me. Made the most wonderful dinner...had 1/2 pack of fresh brussel sprouts, bag of fresh snap peas, lb of apparagus, 4 ears of fresh corn. Plus some cabbage and kielbasa with onion and carrots. Cooked it all plus brought out last of tuna and pea salads. Will have left over left overs tomorrow night. Had 7 bowls on the table and we just ate what hit our francy. It was yummy good.

Rosey...My DH had the shoulder surgery in Nov and it was 100% effective, But there is alot of PT involved to get there.

Gayle...BLACK? Hated all white with even white hose and cap, but Black...when I worked in the ER every dept had a color we were maroon. Just had to have something maroon. I found white slacks with either a maroon mens v neck sweater or maroon vest....oh white turtle neck. Vests were good gave me extra pockets. Many a day I came home from work directly into laundry room and striped....not going tell you about the UPS driver at the back door.......ohhhhhhhhhhh gesssh

Deelee...Just say to DF "Well Bless your heart" it will puzzle him and give you giggles long with the rest of the GG.

Maryae....Not a bad month of prizes

Marie....so sorry you are still sick with coughing...oooh that doesn't help the belly. Quick grow that myers lemon for your tea. We used our last naval orange tonight. Hugh and sweet.

Karen...I just wanna hug you it is so good to have you back.

Rie...hope the trip was easy.

I know I missed abunch, Freda, Zoe and Brenda pop up immediately...but i did a dumb thing I down loaded the Hunger Games and started in yesterday. All 3 books and I need to get back into the future....how cool it is that she is an archer. k3
Old 04-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #70  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

Two days down, one more to go, then off the weekend. Yahooey

Got out late again, but was only 1.5 hrs instead of 2 or 3, and had been a pretty good couple days.

I would dearly love to stay up and play, but have to leave earlier tomorrow ~ have physical therapy before work. My favorite part is laying on that warm mat first before the therapy begins ~ I feel like I could take a nice little nap.

Deelee ~ mom has alzheimers, and it is somewhat of a problem ~ she wouldn't remember to take her medications if dad didn't dole them out to her, and other stuff. She has some days that are better and her brain is "cooking on all four" so to speak. Then some days not as good. She can't remember stuff after just a couple minutes. She asks the same quesiton (I smile to myself and call it the "question of the day") ~ I just answer it over and over again. I get tickled though ~ she can't remember stuff, but when I talk about working on getting my scrubs ready by the deadline ~ she says ~ oh yeah ~ those awful black things.

Think we're gonna get together with Sara's family and Jason and his girlfriend and maybe have a picnic of some kind this weekend. The weather is supposed to be nice.

Sorry to not have been able to get to the personals tonight. Darn work gets in the way of fun. Sigh......

I'd better get off to bed now before the munch monster comes out

Hope you all have a good rest.

Take care
Old 04-05-2012, 11:42 PM   #71  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Tomorrow I'll try to get to answers and personals...

CK - glad you're back! Re: the fires... yes, I think it's out for now. It was a controlled burn that got out-of-hand, as in it re-ignited after they thought it was out. Apparently no one noticed that the wind was blowing 75 mph??? Haymon Fire, no... that was a forest service employee boohooing over her lost love, and she tried to burn his last note... oops! That was the biggest fire in our history. Idiots abound... and that's my wisdom for the day.

Tomorrow! Later, ladies!
Old 04-06-2012, 01:40 AM   #72  

Hi everyone. i'm up to my ears in happiness.am soglad to have my family back.spent the day laughing and getting the new pets used to each other. they brought a huge male dog named bruno and 3 cats,phineas,ferb and lucky lady. my dasiy is not getting along with the cats,this am we had a cat dog fight and the fur was flying. now we have a mexican standoff. we couldnt find lucky. as iwas getting ready for my shower this evening she jumped out at me from the top shelf. i about peed my pants.miss inocent. hopeing to post more but they got here at 1 am last night and we didnt get much sleep.hope you day is fun with the ones you love. rosey

breakfast
coffee
greek yogurt

lunch
salad

snack
coffee mocha

dinner
baked chicken
1/2 c mashed potatoes
2 T gravy
salad
Old 04-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #73  

Height: 5'1"

Hi Ladies,

Worked yesterday and have to work all weekend. We'll have our Easter dinner another time. It will probably be the usual, traditional stuff. I always have ham for Easter and turkey for Thanksgiving. Happy Easter to you all. may your day be filled with family and fun.

Gayle, we used to be able to wear anything we liked to work. Now we are all color coded. Nursing, navy blue. Clerks, tan. PCT's, maroon. It was supposed to help the patients tell us apart. boring! I'd perk those black uniforms up any way I could.

Rosie, I know you are thrilled to have your family home in time for Easter. the animals will get it together.

Hi Jess, you working the weekend?

Karen3, my mom had shoulder surgery a few years ago and it went really well. She's a real whinner and didn't even complain too much. I think she was just so happy to have the constant pain gone.

Karen, Welcome back! Seems like you're been missing forever. My mom had 8 kids and said you always missed the one that wasn't there. Us too.

Brenda, I hope you have fun at lunch with your friend.

Dee, that is a lot of people to cook for. Do you do all the cooking, or do you let the guests bring a dish?

Marie, I hope you feel well soon. You've had a rough time lately.

Mary, I used to say the same thing, when I got older I would eat what I wanted and not worry about weight. But, like you, I've rethought that. I want to stay health well into my older years and eating what ever I want doesn't fit with that picture. My mom is 80 and her health problems make me realize that you can't stop careing.

Carol Sue, Metformin is supposed to be with a lot of things, including cholesterol and weight loss. Not a bad deal there. Haven't heard too many bad side effects. Lots of problems with cholesterol medications though.

Z, have a great Easter with the family.

Freda
Old 04-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Hi Golden Chicks!

Rosey - glad your family made it safe and sound. How long are they staying?

Gayle - You DM sounds just like my DF. Only, he wouldn’t even vaguely remember the black scrubs I’m afraid. This has been progressing for a long time. I don’t know what I hit to change this font! My mom comes and goes. When they’re both gone, mentally that is, it really keeps us hopping.

Karen 3 - you sure have a lot of energy! I just told DH “Bless you heart.” I did giggle. He didn’t look too puzzled. He was just carrying something for me so he probably thought it was for that.

Rie - I was wondering what you were up to - went back to your post and was reminded that you had the LONG DRIVE WITH DEAR PARENTS! How did that go? You don’t need to be bailed out from jail or anything, do you?

Maryea - I asked my DM’s doc about giving her CoQ10. He said only if her muscles ache. She said they don’t. so he said no, she’s on so many meds already. He did cut the dose though. I don’t know how an 80 year old doesn’t have muscle aches - especially someone related to me. I have muscle aches.

Hope everyone has a nice day/weekend. I’m starting to go into panic mode trying to get house and food ready for Easter. I am also hosting my book club on Monday and I’ve only read 40 of the 300+ pages. I better get off of here and do something!
Old 04-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #75  

Height: 5'3"

We slept in today but still went to the gym so I got there four times this week. We walked the track again, then our usual stuff. I did a harder mode on the treadmill though and the incline got up to ten for a while then dropped down again. So felt I got a good workout. No sunshine today but so far also no rain.

Karen3 I like meals like that...sort of a smorgasbord. We used to do that to get rid of leftovers but mostly we just each fix our own on leftover night these days. I keep saying I need to tear into my desk ...so much paper..I thought computers were supposed to reduce the amount of paper!...I have misplaced (lost?) a wallet and think it might be in/on my desk somewhere. Don't know where else to look. I've looked in my bedroom drawers and under the bed.
I think I last remember having it on the bed when changing purses or maybe at my desk. So far no wins for April and no takers on my shoes I'm trying to sell on Craigslist.

Gayle - The shoes I'm trying to sell would go very well with black scrubs! I can't imagine black scrubs! I've only seen light blue, a little darker blue, green (light and dark) and pink, oh and also print for the children's floors besides white.

I'm wondering why Metformin doesn't decrease my appetite. The doctor said it might but I don't notice it at all. Wish it did.

You all have a great day!!
Closed Thread