Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #46  

Height: 5'3"

Hi GGs!! We went to the republican party caucus this morning. It was our first time to go to one and it was interesting. The accoustics in the room were terrible so it was very hard to hear. Our precinct had two tables put together and it was even hard to understand what someone was saying from the other table at times. Didn't like that. This time this is the ONLY way we will be able to vote for the candidate we want from the nominees! I don't like that AT ALL. I think it should be put to the general vote like in past elections. Many people don't realize this and will not even know to get to a caucus or where they are even if they do hear. I think it depends on the state maybe, but I wish it weren't this way in my state. I did enjoy learning more about the process.

Tonight we are going to have dinner at our church...it will be a Mexican dinner to raise money for something (I forgot what ) Last time we attended one of these it was really good very authentic Mexican food and my dh esp loved the tamales.

Joe has the lights up in the bathroom, now just waiting to get a new towel rack and TP holder. So almost done.

I'm reading Gun Games by Faye Kellerman. She's one of my favorite authors and I won this book. There are usually two stories going on at the same time and I'm a little more than half way through and still don't know how they will connect or if they will (I think they will though), but I'm enjoying it.

I had terrible leg cramps last night. Wish I knew what is causing that. I hadn't had them for a while but they were back with a vengeance last night! Finally got relief with two of my pills.

Ok that's about all that's been going on with us.

WELCOME Luc1313ky!! Glad to have you join us!! This is a great group! I'm the same way...lose and regain over and over..but I keep trying!

Rie - I don't think I could stand a winter where you are...or a lot of you like Rosey, Donna..even Klamath Falls gets pretty cold too...my fingers turn white even in the winter up here...maybe it's the diabetes, I don't know, or maybe it's just that I am no longer used to the cold weather.

Donna - Glad you have Chrome. I use it all the time now and I don't have as much trouble with this site as many of you do.

Isabella and Donna - I used to have one orange wall in my dining area..had it for years and the wall next to it was wall paper with orange flowers. When we repainted I opted for yellow and still have that. Worse yet, I still have the old orange formica countertops a la 1965!! I really want to get rid of them so badly! One of these days we will redo the kitchen completely...it's in terrible shape!

So agree with you on retirement! I refer to my nursing as "in my previous life!" I can't even imagine working now! I don't have time!

I wish I could have been there to listen to you sing! I bet you did great piano or not.

Rie - Been thinking about your mom and the Clinique...you know, when I get excited about a good product, I might recommend it to my girls. Normally don't have any to share with them but I'd tell them about it. I guess they could take offense but honestly I wouldn't mean it like they really needed it. I would just be saying that I want them to take care of their skin so they can continue to have good skin in the future. Most people say I have good skin for my age (69) and I think it's because I have always taken pretty good care of it. I can't afford the really really expensive stuff but I buy the best I can (some expensive/some pretty cheap), and I get a lot of samples of the "good" stuff online plus I win a lot of good products too. Right now I'm using Clinique's Moisture Surge (won it) and I really like how it feels going on my skin.

I'm getting very tired so think I'll take a nap now. Hope you all have a good evening!

Mary

Last edited by maryea; 03-03-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #47  
ALASKA

S/C/G: 254/239/195

Height: 5'10

Hello Everyone,welcome luc1313ky~happy you have joined us.

Its a slow day for me.Im having some sacroliac joint pain. Ive been so good since my spine surgery in october. Sure hope this isnt a new problem popping up. uggg. enough seeing Doctors!

Made some moose stew for lunch. DH and i enjoyed it. Lots of skiers coming down this weekend.Mountian looks pretty busy. lots of new snow.

Getting longer days now love that!

Lost a pound this week. Im happy with that.just keep keepin on.

Have a great Day
Old 03-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #48  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Ladysheets and luc1313ky.... please tell us easier names for you!! You're most welcome to join us... we're pretty okay folks!

Marie - have you ever tried drinking pickle juice for your leg cramps? Sometimes my toes cramp (OMG, OWWWWWWW), and a couple of swigs of pickle juice will stop them.

Rie - my little ice chest freezer arrived, and I'm so excited! I made pork chops and sauerkraut in the, um, like, SLOW COOKER last night, so I have those to store; I made a YUMMY meatloaf today, so I have that... and I might make a big ol' batch of spaghetti and meatballs. That's about a dozen lunches and dinners (at least!) to freeze and to enjoy later. LIFE BE GOOD!!!

Having quite a pleasant Saturday! I hope yours is also good, everyone... later, lovelies! I'm really enjoying Chrome!
Old 03-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #49  

Hi everyone.guess what its snowing again the state plow went by 8 times this am making the road wider. my puter is toast so im using the old one. am greatful we have 2. finances are abit strained right now so must wait and save for a new one. am getting ready to watch my grs basketball game tonite ,they are going to state. i'm busting with pride Donna, the new freezer is lovely and filling it with yummy stuff is fun. welcome lucky Maryea iv never read her books i'll have to try them, right now im reading wilbur smith,he has over 27 books and i love them all. lynn am so sry about your friend shes lucky to have you, i hope your dd and sil are having fun in anchorage. (((hugs))) for all and have an awsome weekend rosey

breakfast
coffee
kashi crunch cereal

lunch
1 egg. 1 slice toast, moose sausage

snack
coffee mocha
grapes

dinner
baked chix breast
sweet potatoe
brussell sprouts
Old 03-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

My grandson came for a sleepover on Friday night. It has been several months since he did that, and boy have things changed! He's 3-1/2. His parents have been telling me that he has started not wanting to go to bed and one of them goes in and lies down with him until he falls asleep. Then he gets up in the middle of the night and won't go back to bed. Since they both have to go to work, they let him in their bed for the rest of the night. It was terrible. DH got him to sleep twice, but as soon as he carried him in to his toddler bed he woke up and cried. It was midnight before he finally got him to stay asleep and we could fall asleep. At 3AM he was up again, and so were we! I told DH to take him into our bed and I stayed out in the living room so he and DH could get some sleep. I don't think we will be doing sleepovers again until he gets over this stage. I'm getting too old for this. I think the mistake was when they started lying in bed with him.

Donna - Good news on the freezer! I have a small one in the laundry room. We have had it for 34 years and it's still going strong! When we first got married, we had an older refrigerator and you opened the big refrigerator door and the freezer was inside. Very tiny! We couldn't buy ice cream unless we were out of meat! LOL Then we had to eat all the ice cream before we could go shopping. So I bought the little freezer to give us some more room. I envy you being able to make and freeze meals for future use. DH would not eat it. He will only eat things that are freshly made. One time I made a roaster of shredded beef for a shower the next day and he told me not to tell anyone I made it the day before or they wouldn't eat it. LOL If I had made it the day of the shower I would have had to get up at 3AM to start it!

Isabella - My step son's kitchen walls are orange, red, yellow and green. They decided to go with a Mexican theme several years ago. He is a very good artist, so he painted peppers around the door jams and trim. They have glasses with a Mexican motif on the shelves and dried peppers hanging on either side of the window. When he told me about it my first thought was "What the???" but when I saw it, it was beautiful.

Freda - I have always been afraid to take anything for sleep, especially mixed with all the other meds I take. I fall asleep in a matter of seconds, but a few hours later I wake back up and can't get back to sleep. There is one med that is supposed to be for people who can't stay asleep the whole night, but how do you know before you go to bed if you're going to stay asleep or not? For a while I took Tylenol PM, then I tried something called Midnight (OTC) which you can take in the middle of the night to help you fall back to sleep. But it scared me. I get Melatonin and Seratonin mixed up, but it contained one of those. So now if I don't sleep good I just take a little nap the next day. Now that I'm retired I can do that. When I was working, insomnia used to make for a very, very long day!

Bobbi - I'm sorry to hear that you had bad experiences with Home Depot. We got our cabinets from Home Depot but we just replaced cabinets with same size cabinets and we did the measuring, not them. DH said unlike a professional cabinet shop, they hire Joe Schmoe off the street, and if he knows how to read a ruler he gets the job of measuring. They gave us a paper with directions on how to measure the walls and each cabinet, and if something was wrong it would be our responsibility because we refused to have their guy come out to measure. The only thing we did wrong was request a right hand door instead of a left hand door, but they replaced it free of charge. I thought that was nice since it was clearly our mistake.

Maryea - About your fingers turning white....do you have Raynaud's? Very cold fingers that turn white in cold weather is a symptom. My husband's fingers don't turn white, but they are very very cold even when he's in the house. I always said it's because he won't wear gloves when he shovels snow or snowblows. We have one of those dohickeys that you put on your finger to read your blood oxygen level and if he puts it on his index finger he doesn't get a reading. The visiting nurse said it's because he has poor circulation in that finger. Here is a link that explains more about it. At the bottom, also click on "causes".
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ray...CTION=symptoms
Old 03-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #51  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

My DD getting ready to run with the reindeer in Alaska.

Lynn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kathy & reindeer.jpg (17.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #52  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG’s,

One day down ~ five to go. Yesterday was a good day and I got out on time!!!! Yippee.

I resumed my walking yesterday ~ another yippee.

Rie ~ glad you are enjoying the visit with your family. I know how you feel not getting to see them as often as you’d like. I lived far away from Corbin for seven years before we moved here. I only got to see him once a year. He had lived right with me and I got to see him every day before my DH’s job transferred him and we had to move away. I missed him so much. Like you described, when I got to visit, it took the first day or so for us to become reacquainted.

Freda ~ hope you are having a good weekend off.

Carol Sue ~ my little dgd Maddie stayed over night here one time and she was up until like 1am before she went to sleep. She slept, but I slept restlessly. I was pooped the next day. I have kind of dragged my feet at having her stay again. She is older now, so it might go better. Too bad your DH doesn’t like left overs. I used to cook to have left overs on purpose. When working, it helped a lot to not have to start all over again each day. Would your DH cook his own if you had left overs and he didn’t want that? I am lucky, my DH will eat left overs ~ even the same thing several nights in a row.

Rosey ~ OMG ~ more snow? Enjoy watching your DGS’s basketball game.

Donna ~ glad you are enjoying your new freezer. Sounds like you have some great stuff in there to enjoy. How is SamCat doing?

Ladysheets ~ hope your pain goes away and is not a new problem starting

Mary ~ leg cramps be gone!!!

Welcome Luc1313ky

CK ~ glad the storms passed you by

Marie ~ you’re almost there. How are your doggy kids doing?

Isabella ~ sorry for the piano malfunction during your solo. Well, they could hear more of your beautiful voice that way

Annie ~ hope you’ve had a nice weekend with your beau

Bobbi ~ that is a pretty chair ~ can’t wait to see pics of how it looks after you work your magic on it.

Lynn ~ any more news about your friend? What adventure are you having this weekend? Cute picture of your daughter

K3 ~ Your post: This me doing the happy dance:

First i made Donna snort coffee
Second Home Depot came not only on time but a little early
Third i just finished all the income tax stuff k3

Sounds like it was a good day ~ LOL.

Thursday was Mom and Dad’s 60th wedding anniversary. My sister arranged a little gathering for them ~ Dad doesn’t like a big fuss and isn’t comfortable with a great big “do”. They had a few people and met at a restaurant for lunch and my sister had a special cake and flowers. I didn’t get to go (they are up in Ohio) but my sister sent some pictures from her phone, so that was nice. Love today’s technology.

Hello to those of you I missed. Running out of time. Gotta go get ready for work. Hope you all are having a good weekend.

Pic of mom and dad at the anniversary party ~ mom was getting tired ~ she is usually smiling.

Take care
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mom and dad 60th anniversary party.jpg (20.0 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by glynne; 03-04-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #53  

Good Morning GG's

How are all of you? I hope no one got any of the bad weather. The wind kept me awake most of the night Friday night. I expected to see a lot of damage when I got up, but it wasn't bad, no broken tree limbs or anything! It flooded where my mom lives but she doesn't know if her house was flooded or not, because she is visiting my sisters and can't get back to her house because the roads are covered with water. Last time her family room was wet. She had to rip up the carpet and clean everything but it could have been so much worse. Just finished my breakfast. 2 boiled eggs and v8. YUM!

Lynn, Hope your daughter has fun runnning with the reindeer. She looks so much like you.

Carol Sue, The insomnia wouldn't be so bad if I could sleep in the next morning, but when I work and ive been up all night, that's not possible. I've tried all the usual stuff too, but it never works. The Ambien worked so well. Not something I would take every night, but on the nights I can't sleep and have to work the next day, it's a life saver. I was a little afraid to try it too. I'm very leary of pills. Pretty bad coming from a nurse, huh? ha My mom would never eat left overs either. I love left overs! I think i've said it before but it bears repeating! Actually, I think it's the not having to cook that I really like.

Mary, I agree with Carol Sue, sounds like you might have Raynauds. I have it in my feet more than fingers. If my feet get cold they turn white and the only way I can warm them is put them in warm water. And a pulse ox won't work if your fingers are cold. I'm thinking that is the reason you can't get a pulse ox, rather than poor circulation. Very few people have circulation that bad in their hands.

Bobbi, Love the old chair. What color did you get to upholster it in? When I see most of those old chairs with the original covering they are in red or green.

Donna, Yeah! you got your freezer. And are filling it up quickly. You can cook on the weekend and eat all week. So many things freeze really well. Can I add a few suggestions too? Stuffed cabbage, lasagna, and i'm sure you already did spaghetti sauce. NO ice cream. It doesn't freeze well. ha!

Rosie, Good luck to your DGS in his game. I'm glad you get to watch. I've never read anything by Smith, i'm going to look him up. Have you ever read anything by Susan Wittig Albert? Light weight but interesting.

Z, haven't heard from you in a long time. Hope everything is ok and you're just busy having fun with those DGK.

Ladysheets, Do you ski too? Do you have another name or would you rather we call you Lady for now? Congrats on the pound loss.

Gayle, are you working this weekend? I think our weekends are opposite.

Karen, Hear any news about the house yet?

Luc, Welcome. Look forward to getting to know you.

Go make it a good day,

Freda

Marie, only a little wait left untill you go get the problem fixed! How long did they say you would have to stay in the hospital? I know you don't stay in long for anything. Which is really a good thing, usually.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello Goldens!

Just time for a quick note. The kids are on their way here and I need to get ready to go. Today is the last day here and then I travel home tonight. More tomorrow. Have a great Sunday!

Rie
Old 03-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #55  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All…

Slept like a log last night! There’s nothing better in this world than a good night’s sleep, NOTHING!!

Mary – did you enjoy the MX feast?

Rosey - I’m glad you have a second computer! We would worry about you, snowed in and unavailable! I can certainly understand your pride in your gs… good job, kids!

Ah, CarolSue – yet another reason to be single!! I’ve never minded left overs and/or the foods that I make in bulk and then freeze. I like having something healthy already prepared, so I don’t stop at BK on the way home from work!

I just saw a magazine ad for that Midnight sleep aid… did it work for you? GM has terrible trouble sleeping, has taken all sorts of different prescription sleeping pill medications and still has trouble. I thought I might try that Midnight stuff, if it works. She also has a problem with dry mouth, likely a side effect OF the sleeping pills… it wakes her up and then she can’t go back to sleep. Getting up at 4 a.m. every day does not make for a happy old lady!

Lynn – what a great picture of your dd! Are they stopping by to visit Rosey and Gizmo?

Gayle – thank you for asking! SamCat is, surprisingly, a kitten again… he’s eating like a CatPig and is into everything, curious and nosy. All of this is alarming!! I’m enjoying the time I have with him.

Very nice picture of your folks, Gayle! Wow, 60 years is a LONG time!

Freda – thanks for the recipe suggestions. I have a favorite recipe for stuffed cabbage casserole. It tastes just like stuffed cabbage with a lot less work (criterion #1). Lasagna doesn’t meet criterion #1! And, luckily, I don’t eat ice cream very often… I did have a few of the single serving cups in the freezer when it died before Christmas, so sad…

How’s your back?

Rie – sounds like you’re having a great time! I’m so glad!

I hope everyone is having a good Sunday. I need to force myself to do a few domestic and/or business chores, even though I’d rather read or crochet! Bobbi, PT/Zoe, Isabella, everyone I missed, hola!
Old 03-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #56  

gayle, we were posting at the same time, so I didn't see the picture of your parents before. You look so much like your mom!
Old 03-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #57  

Donna - The ingredients in Midnight are Melatonin, Lemon Balm, Chamomile, and Lavender. Nothing that should be harmful I don't think. I don't remember if it helped me because I only took it a few times. I don't understand how you can take Ambien "only when you need it". How long do you lay awake before you decide you need it? You are supposed to allow 8 hours if you take it, even though it never kept me asleep more than 4 hours. I never wanted to get to the point where I couldn't sleep unless I took something. I agree, having to go to work after not sleeping can be a real drag!

When I was single I rarely ATE dinner because I didn't want to cook for one. And I was a size 9 back then, too!

Gayle - DH would cook something for himself and has done so in the past. It's usually a hamburger and french fries. I will even cook him something, but he usually says "I'll find something" like he's really annoyed! LOL He will eat leftover stuffed cabbage, for a couple days, even, and leftover lasagne. I love leftovers. Cooking for 2 people usually means leftovers, but I like having something in the fridge that I can grab and just pop in the microwave. He thinks everything will give him food poisoning. When I had the extreme abdominal pains when I developed peritonitis he said the pain was from eating leftover stromboli. Good thing I went to the ER and didn't trust his diagnosis! LOL

Isabella - I am very proud of you that you kept on singing after the piano failed. Many people would have froze, but you never missed a beat!
Old 03-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #58  

Donna - You can make lasagne in a casserole like you do the stuffed cabbage casserole. You can use wide noodles or other flat pasta shapes and just mix all the ingredients together, put mozzarella on top and bake. There are several recipes online for it under Lasagne Casserole.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 280/277/170

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for the welcome. Just refer to me as Linda. We just got home from church. So I am fixing lunch. Got it a cookin'!!! At least the sun is out here. We have had a mild winter, but we are expecting winter when spring should be here. We shall see.
I am counting calories, drinking water, and excerising daily. I seem to be in control better when I count calories. I know when I have reached my limit. If I go over, well, that is my fault, not a points errors. I just do better this way.
I must tend to lunch. I will be back later.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #60  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Donna, Kai is very thankful her beloved SamCat is rallying for another round. It is very scary for us humans to know that the rallying takes more out of the elder furbabies each time. Blizzie is just fine now after her bout with an upper respiratory infection but I know it is a matter of time. Sasha is not doing well, though. Her eye is barely better. I spoke with the vet office yesterday and said maybe 20% better and that’s a high estimate. David said he will bring her back to the vet tomorrow or Wednesday (after I chat with the vet). Keep in mind, David is cheap and wasn’t thrilled that I insisted she needed to go to the dr. Now he’s pushing she goes back. Aka, he’s worried about her. My daughter researched doggie eye problems and said that the blue eye/brown eye dogs have more eye issues because of the genetic abnormality that caused the two colors. Every guest at DGS & DH’s b-day party fawned over her and the clear pain she was in. It is really heart wrenching but I have seen some improvement. She did have a great time on our morning walk and she opened her eye wide for breakfast. That is a good sign. Also, I love your CatPig description. Kai Pixie has been Dog Pig since I switched her to a turkey and potato ridiculously expensive dog food. She does 360 degree spins for her chow lately. BTW, I love my chest freezer and agree with others that I couldn’t handle just having the freezer with my fridge. Heck that one is for my ice and ice cream. The rest goes in the garage freezer. You will love yours!!!

KarenMO, glad the storms missed you. Momma Nature seems so cranky these days.

Rie, sounds like you need to buy yourself a present. A portable hot tub spa (since you said you rent and you would want to take it with you if you ever move). You’ve mentioned trouble sleeping in the past and Ambien – maybe the hot tub before bed, with a glass of chamomile tea (or wine) would work better. I’m glad you’re having a great time with your DGS even though you’re snot is freezing every time you walk out the door. Stay safe when traveling home.

Linda, WELCOME to the group. Thanks for the easier name to type. I hope you were spared the nasty storms. I devised my own system for losing weight and it certainly worked for me. So you can do it and your heart will thank you. Also, I count calories, exercise every day and drink loads of water and diet soda and tea. Calorie free drinks ebbs the hunger pains and even the munchie monster when needed in a pinch.

Lynn, I hope your friend is recovering but it sounds like she’s too advanced for that. I’m very sorry for her family and her AND I’m very sorry about how hard this is for you. And your daughter is just amazing. I hope she has a lot of fun prancing about with the reindeer!

Mary, I hope you find the cause of the leg cramps. Whenever I get them I find exercising so hard. The muscles get so sore afterwards, and for days. Perhaps Donna’s advice of pickle juice might help but pickles are disgusting and I think I’d even prefer the cramps.

Brenda, I hope the return of your pain is brief and leaves quickly. That must be mighty scary after you had the surgery several months ago. And WTG on losing a pound this week!

Rosey, I guess if you live in AK you expect it to snow all winter long. Eight times for a plow in one day is a little excessive though.

Carol Sue, it must be DGS weekend. You have your DGS (I’m know he’s still dear even with the sleeping problems), Rie is with her beloved Gabriel and I’m with my loved DGS as well. How cool is that? All of us hadn’t seen our DGSs in a couple months. BTW, I wouldn’t do the sleep overs either until that stage is over. Also, I take ¼ of a trazedone every night because I can fall asleep instantly but will wake up at 2:00 am and be ready to go, go, go. It is one symptom of the bipolar I can’t control without meds. So I take the trazedone.

Gayle, WTG on walking again. I hope you find the perfect balance between your work (that causes you pain) and a walking schedule. My DGS lived with us for the first 14 months, then they all moved out. Visits were intermittent but they lived in town for a year. Then they moved 300 miles apart and visits were irregular. Then the little family came apart and DGS now lives in my town again but the split wasn’t amicable so I don’t see him often. I’m glad you have re-established relationships with Corbin and Maddie. It’s so worth it.

Freda, maybe you could talk to your dr about trazedone. It’s just an old fashioned antidepressant that causes drowsiness. It really works for that night-time need to be up and about. I can’t take a whole or even a half one as it’s too potent. But the quarter dose is perfect. I stay asleep and have no drowsiness the next day. AND I love leftovers too. Make a nice dinner with planned leftovers and the rest of the week’s cooking is a breeze. Spaghetti sauce freezes well? Really? I didn’t know that. I can mine but freezing could be easy. I’m hoping to get released the same day (dr’s nurse told me he agreed to that once so I have some hope) but the next day for sure.

“I don't understand how you can take Ambien "only when you need it". How long do you lay awake before you decide you need it?” from Carol Sue. I was wondering that too.

I did it! I made it to the end of the posts. DH’s and DGS’s b-day part was very nice but I really hate entertaining. Way too much work. So yesterday was stressful and I usually have Saturdays reserved for recovering from stressful work. Today is pretty easy even though DD and DGS are here. They all (including DH) are playing a computer game with each other. Three computers working together. It’s a nice game that isn’t competitive. DH works this afternoon and DD will drive back to Reno when DGS and I go see the Lorax. DGS and I have never been to the movies together by ourselves. He and I are quite excited for our “date”. Dr. Seuss is my very favorite author and The Lorax is my second fave of his books. So we’re going to have a great time.
Marie

PS for all my nursing GGs out there - DGS came with a cold and my throat is getting sore. Is a cold something that would postpone the surgery?
Closed Thread