Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #136  

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone! It's another beautiful day in the great NW! Dh just left for the first "checkup" on our new car and then plans to go fishing. We just heard we are going to have company tomorrow so I want to go grocery shopping again. Not sure how many are coming though.

So far I haven't won a thing and I also am not entering as much. That's the way it goes up and down. I still hope to win some this month though based on my previous entering but if I don't enter much this month, April will likely be a no-win month. As I've said before it's just a numbers game.

Continuing to read the Kellerman book (her) whenever I can and it's really good. The two stories have finally connected as I thought they would.

Karen3/Bobbi - I didn't know that about lemon trees either! We have a few fruit trees but no lemon. Wonder if they would grow up here. I'll ask Joe to check into that. I'd love to have one.

Karen3 - That warm south sounds really good. Even though it's pretty here the air is chilly.

Slmn - Congrats on the weight loss! I'm staying stable at a very high number. I still can't believe how fast I gained back my weight. Still a bit away from what I was before but not by much. I've been getting more serious about it recently though since my doctor appt is coming up on the 22nd and I'm so ashamed to face him. Silly I know but I am.

Karen31 - You must be really busy with all the packing and moving! Are you doing the move yourselves? I used to enjoy moving...I know...I'm wierd...but it was like an adventure to me. Now not so much however, I think if I really wanted to move I'd be that way again. It's just that I'm so happy where I am.
Sometimes we think about moving but don't want to leave as long as we have children nearby and we have one now and soon will have another. Any more tornados headed your way? I hope not!

Marie - I have never had the gas pain you describe after any of my surgeries but my sister did. Funny thing is before my hernia surgery I had it that way up in my left shoulder. It was my main symptom and was horrible! I came close to screaming with it and I am not a screamer. Went on for a very long time before we found out what the problem was. So I know how it feels. Take care of yourself, it will get better.

Zoe - Counting down until retirement...yep, I remember those days. Excited yet scared, wondering am I doing the right thing...but I can't stand it here another day feeling.. For us retirement has worked out much better than we ever expected. We did the various odd jobs, me on the computer and phone, Joe had an HVAC business for a while...but finally we realized we could make it without all that (it cramped our lifestyle and didn't pay all that well in our case), and we love the freedom!

Well, I need to get busy, I have lots to do today. You all have a lovely day!
Old 03-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #137  

S/C/G: 242/150/140

Height: 5'7"

Good morning people, it is a lovely autumnal morning here, and I have just got back from the beach with the dog. Today is shopping day etc, and am very happy as I need to go to savemart (goodwill?) as my jeans are too big! How cool is that!

I also know that CO2 feeling marie. Ugghh. It does pass however, hang on in there.

Karen31. I love moving house, I am quite jealous. We used to do it all ourselves, now we do the packing and sorting but hire some hefty chaps to actually put the stuff in the van and take it out again at the other end.

Lemon trees. Mine has done well for the last 2 years but this year it has been steadily dying. Several other established plants are dying too. We are wondering if the roots have been so badly shaken that they have just given up. Nothing seems to help, and it is autumn here, it should be flourishing, but it has only 4 leaves left. I shall wrap it up for the winter, but I do not have much hope it will survive.

Have a great day everyone

Auto.

Last edited by autodidact; 03-08-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #138  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good afternoon-- taking a break. We went and got boxes this morning and I have been packing up some. Got all my eagle plates, and wine glasses packed up now.

Got an email from Tims sister and his Dad is failing fast. She said he isn't responsive at all now. So we are going along and trying to get as much done as possible and be ready to go back east. Hoping that we can get the move done even if they just put the furniture in the house and the boxes in the garage. Auto-- yes we are packing up everything and having movers come in and move it.. we used to do it by ourselves too but decided it is just too much.

Karen-- we do have some stuff in boxes that we moved here 3 years ago. So that helps. Trying to get rid of some stuff as we go but some is just to "personal" to get rid of. Even if it stays in a box!! I know.....

Ok well, need to get back and get moving again. Hope everyone has a good day.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #139  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Karen...I have had boxes like that for 30 yrs...I know where they are and that's enough. Memory strong boxes! k3
Old 03-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #140  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

OK, ladies, it looks like we are beginning tomorrow and "walking" to Colorado Springs, CO.

I will post a new thread and ask Jane to move it up to the Sticky area - just in case you decide to join, it will be easy to find.

Lynn
Old 03-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #141  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Maryea - I think the Co2 is only done with laproscopic surgeries. I had that when I had my tubal ligation. All other surgeries I was cut wide open!

I love to move because I like change. Since I can't move as often as I'd like, I end up making changes in decorating to make it look like a new place. Haven't done that as much lately as 1) I'm always recoving from some illness, and 2) I don't have the money to keep doing that now that I'm retired. When you finally have the time to do it, you don't have the money! LOL
Old 03-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #142  

Hi everyone.beautiful and sunny here today and dh went with his buddy goofing off in town and drooling over new snow machines lol.its good for him to get out and do guy things and good for me cuz i have some me time. Marie im so glad you are home,im a firm believer you heal best in your own envirement,hope the escaped farts dissapate soon sounds painful.Karen3 the best part for me in moving is that 1st morning you wake in your new house and have coffee and are tickeled pink where you are at.so sry about dh dad,its so hard to loose a parent.congrats to us all for loosing,trying exercising and succeeding. yay us. yesterday while shopping i bought the most gorgeus fresh strawberries,i made short cake with them and sent one over to my mil last nite, they reminded me that spring is comming,sigh still cant see out my windows yet but the days are getting longer in day light.Hope your day is full of (((hugs))) rosey

yesterday's menu
breakfast
coffee
greek yogurt with kashi crunch cereal 1/4 c

lunch
salad made with blk olives,red onion,roma tomatoes,english cuke,kidney beans
with raspberry vinegrett

snack
coffee mocha

dinner
pork steak,1/2 c cole slaw

desert
1/2 gluten free bisquit,fresh strawberries,squirt of whipping cream

Last edited by akrosey49; 03-08-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #143  

rain here in WNY today. will take it over snow.

Last edited by ciecie; 03-08-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #144  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Just a quick note as my laptop is in another room so it is iPad typing. KarenFL that really hurt to read your post about escaped farts. I laughed and oooo the pain. Most of the farts have dissapated. Aka the shoulder and rib pain is nearly gone. Now it is just trying to get the bowel system working again. Much better this afternoon. I stood long enough to make a mocha. It is liquid. DHs bday cake is in the fridge and I know it started out as a liquid. I think a soft food diet sounds better. KarenMO I am so sorry about your FIL. You certainly have enough stress these days. Bobbi I think I'll need to order a Myers lemon tree. The bud fragrance sounds divine. Mary, good job getting back on track. carol Sue, no matter how much the co2 hurt, it definitely sounds better than your surgeries.

Auto, way to go on needing smaller jeans. That is always wonderful! Freda, it the pain comes back, I intend to rock. That's good info.

Thank you all for your well wishes. You can't know how much I appreciate it.

So I giggled at the posts and had all this stuff to say and my memory is gone. rosey iss so right that healing is so much better at home. Leaps and bounds better than yesterday. I spent the day with Netflix. I used to watch ally mcbeal but hadn't seen the first few seasons. I am making up for that.
Marie

Last edited by Marie; 03-08-2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Poor memory
Old 03-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #145  

i read karen's post. i roared.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #146  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

so glad you are up and moving, Marie. I know you will produce a bowel mov't soon.
Today i had to shlepp into manhattan and mother my adult daughter, who just got sick with the flu, even though she had the flu shot. I brought my dd home to convalesce. I will NOT use this as an excuse/opportunity to comfort feed.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #147  

S/C/G: 280/277/170

Height: 5'7"

Good evening all,
It has been a busy week in the corn fields. I have taught at school 2 days. Then one day we had a volunteer luncheon. It is a thank you meal! We had a style show. My DH and great niece modeled clothing. The items were furnished from a local business like a Goodwill, only locally run. It is called HELP. We both volunteer when we can. Then today we spent the day in Springfield for doctor appointments. My DH is a 3 time cancer survivor. The first was lung; second was bladder; third is prostrate. But we got a good report today. He is good to go another 3 months.
It has been chilly here the last couple of days. Next week it is to be in the
70's. Every farmer I know will be ready to work the ground. It is still too early, but I bet a few try.
I want to thank all of you again for welcoming me here. This is the start of my second week. I feel better already. I even made myself go out for my excerise time today. Best thing I have done for myself for quite awhile.
We are in mourning here over the poor play of the Illini basketball team!!! It is good to be back to regular things in our life. It has been awhile.
I hope to post more often. I really enjoy your chatter!!!

Last edited by luc1313ky; 03-08-2012 at 08:37 PM. Reason: typos
Old 03-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #148  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Quick check in... I'm too tired tonight to even care about getting personal! Maybe tomorrow.......

Marie - you're sounding more like yourself... hope la poopoo is forthcoming!

CK - so sorry about your FIL... I hope you can coordinate everything! Sounds like you're making pretty good packing progress.

Everyone - have a good rest of the evening!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #149  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hi Karen31. Sounds like you're up to your eyes in boxes and packing. I've never moved since I've been married and only once before that when I left home officially and started work and then when I moved into our home. I'd move in a blink if DH would as I'd love to be closer to at least one of the DSs. I haven't been doing much biking this week with the sore back but I think next week will be better so I'll be kicking up more "dirt" then, lol. So sorry about your FIL. I'll pray his last hours will be peaceful.

Carol Sue, you and your husband are just the opposite of DH and me. He never wants to eat out and will actually tell me to go ahead and order something and he'll just have water. Drives me crazy. If I do that when we get home he wants to eat. So I usually tell him not to be so foolish and either tell him to order or I just skip the restaurant. Men....

Mary, you should join us in the "walk". It is really fun and you can use the time and exercise you do at the gym. It isn't a race and no one will put pressure on you to walk as much as anyone else. We post pictures of the places we pass through on our virtual walk. We don't take the pictures ourselves, of course but link or post images from the internet. WTG on the February prizes.

Zoe, a month longer for retirement isn't too bad. I can't believe I've been retired 6 years. The day I walked out of the school for the last time gave me such a feeling of freedom and relief. It was wonderful. And please join us in the "walking" thread. Even if you just walk to the park it will be good for you and you can pretend you are on your way to Colorado Springs. Yes, Mazidra is delicious. I had a little bit of sour cream on top of mine. Now, I want it again, lol.

Bobbi, I haven't played Scrabble in years. DH is not into games and I'm not either but I liked Scrabble. Hope you find someone to join you.

Karen3, send some of that warm weather up North. I told you the rhubarb blueberry combination is good. I make all my blueberry jams, pies and crisps with rhubarb. So good. Actually, I put rhubarb in all my jams. It just gives them such a nice flavor boost.

Auto, when I lose weight I always shop at the goodwill. I always shop there anyway. Love second hand stores.

Lynn, I'm going to try to get in a few miles (converted from kilometres, ) tomorrow. My back is still somewhat sore and I'm leaving for DGS's house after DH gets off work. I'll be away for the weekend eating birthday cake.

Rosey, I know exactly waht you mean about me time. DH is home in between bus runs and I hardly ever get a day to myself. I think that's why I stay up late. DH goes to bed quite early most nights and then I have a few hours to putter around without his constant guidance.

Freda, my mother always rocked if she had pain. I can see her now in my mind rocking back and forth.

Rie, keeping busy?

Donna, get some rest.

Marie, I see you are keeping yourself amused during your convalescence. Be careful with the bowels. My MIL had an awful time with constipation after her surgery.

Hi Ciecie, Lucinda and Lucky.

I made homemade Fig Newtons today. As some of you might remember I volunteer at the local goodwill/foodbank every few weeks. Well, just before Christmas a shipment of food was delivered and I was helping to sort it when one of the women pulled out a package of dried figs. She looked at it and said, "No one will want these. Here, you take them." She tossed the package of figs to me. She's right about the figs. Most of the foodbank clients would not even know what they were let alone what to do with them. They were really dry, actually dried out and very leathery. I like figs but these were really tough and hard to chew. So a couple of days ago I came across the figs when I was cleaning and sorting the food cupboards out. I chopped them up, soaked them and then cooked them. Then I found a recipe online for homemade fig newtons. They are a bit fussy to make but well worth the effort as they are really nice and tasty. Yes, I had a cookie. Here's a link to the recipe if you'd like to see what they look like. It's a very good tutorial, btw.
http://www.ohnuts.com/blog/2011/05/h..._recipe_1.html

Also did income tax tonight. I'm just about finished but got too tired to get it all done. Will finish tomorrow so DH can get it in the mail.

Tomorrow DH and I set out to DS's house for the weekend to celebrate DGS's 3rd birthday. He's having a much too large birthday party for a little guy but I'm sure we'll all enjoy the happy confusion. His mom is doing a Curious George theme and we're making monkey face pizza which will look like this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_rJwTScCDAb...0/P1000614.JPG

His other grandmother ordered a 3-layer Curious George cake for the party. Cost her $100! I told her she was crazy to pay that much for a kid's birthday cake. By the time the kids get to the cake they are usually full and most of it ends up in the garbage. She's only receiving an old age pension and thinks she has to compete with the rich and famous. I hope that cake tastes really good. I'm sure it will look really good.

Well, I'm gone for the night and maybe even until Sunday night depending on how busy I am tomorrow. Have a good night.

Last edited by retiredone; 03-08-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #150  

thanks for the welcome!
Closed Thread