Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #76  

Hi everyone from very snowy alaska. i spent yesterday in the emergency room. as i was trucking around yesterday i stepped on a stray sewing needle. i didnt feel any pain but noticed i was bleeding. the er docs tried several times to get it out,finally i was strapped in a weird position on a x-ray table under a fluresope where they could see and work at the same time. it took an ex-ray tech, 2 doctors,a phy assistant,and a nurse to accomplish this. finally they got it out.there are some advantages to numb feet as my shoulders and hips hurt but not my foot,they kept the needle for their display wall of weird removals normally fish hooks but now a needle. i think they should have our name on a plack over one of the rooms as we are there alot. so today my dh is waiting on me and im gorking. hoping your weekend is going better than mine (((hugs)) rosey
Old 02-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrosey49 View Post
Hi everyone from very snowy alaska. i spent yesterday in the emergency room. as i was trucking around yesterday i stepped on a stray sewing needle. i didnt feel any pain but noticed i was bleeding. the er docs tried several times to get it out,finally i was strapped in a weird position on a x-ray table under a fluresope where they could see and work at the same time. it took an ex-ray tech, 2 doctors,a phy assistant,and a nurse to accomplish this. finally they got it out.there are some advantages to numb feet as my shoulders and hips hurt but not my foot,they kept the needle for their display wall of weird removals normally fish hooks but now a needle. i think they should have our name on a plack over one of the rooms as we are there alot. so today my dh is waiting on me and im gorking. hoping your weekend is going better than mine (((hugs)) rosey
Hi Rosey,

I am so happy that they got it out. My niece had one go into her foot & end up in her blood. She had emergency surgery to get it out before it went to her heart.

Lynn
Old 02-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #78  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Rosey, I'm so glad that they were able to get that needle out and that you noticed it before days went by! I know what you mean though-- several times I have asked if we couldn't get a "family plan" there to rent a room!!
Old 02-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #79  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Hola, All...
Marie - that turkey meatloaf had broccoli-coleslaw mix as an ingredient (it's shredded broccoli and other slawy type stuff, pretty good on its own!). It really was pretty bad. I've been eating it, since there are starving children in China (who wouldn't eat it, either)... it's okay slathered with catsup.

That tart looks wonderful!

My shower/tub refused to drain this a.m., so I bought an auger. I bought two, in fact, since you can never do anything the first try, and the first one was defective. I augered and cursed for an hour and finally called my HandyManBen to rescue me. He used a product called Zed Professional Strength (there are 32 applications in a bottle, and it took 1 1/2 bottles to do the trick!), which literally dissolves the clog and all the residual, um, like, crap. It took a long time, but all is moving well. He originally thought it was a tree root or a break in the pipe... and I was looking for a likely place to slit my wrists. $120 is a lot better than the thousands to dig up my patio and dig under the house. Gawd. I get sick thinking about it! Life is GOOD.

We ended up with about 15" of snow in my yard. SnowBlowerBoy did his thing yesterday, but he's departed his abode today, so I went out and shoveled. Hurt my hip bunches...! Maybe he just blows once per storm? It wasn't a biggie. It's all melting already. I did take an "after" picture of the strawberry hanger thingie to show how much snow we got, but the camera is all the way upstairs; I'm not; and I'm not going to go get it!

Rosey - I didn't see your post until I'd already posted mine (I'm editing!). I'm so glad you got the needle out okay... geez, you two need keepers, I think, yes?
How's Steve doing?

Hope you're all having a lovely weekend! Onward, lovelies!

Last edited by jess1; 02-04-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #80  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

rosie, so glad the er was able to remove the sewing needle. there is a reason my mom insisted we wear slippers! currently new york's lower hudson valley has no snow. and i bought snow boots for my 10 year old. she will outgrow them before next year.
Jess, so glad you cleared the drain with a minimal amount of money spent.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #81  
IP start date 1/3/2012

S/C/G: 232/185/160

Height: 5'9"

Hey, I like this idea! Just stumbled in, but, when I have some time tonight, I am going to spend some time reading and catching up with you. Briefly, I am 51 and recently retired from the same job after 26 years. I think I will like the fit of this forum.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #82  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

welcome lindac36. Jump on in!
Old 02-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #83  

Hi everyone thankyou for all the concerns.i'm really ok.just tired and sore from the tetnus shot. dh is pampering me and i spent a quiet day. i saw on the news that we have had 107 inches of snow so far this winter, thats a lot of snow and march is our heavy snow month. hope your weekends super. im going to watch my grsons basketball game on the puter tonight. dont know how they broadcast it but i love to watch him play.Happy weekend everyone rosey

friday
breakfast
coffee

lunch
1/2 banana

dinner
hamb patty
green salad

Saturday
breakfast
coffee

lunch
small pancake
1/2 banana
sf syrup
1 egg

snack
coffee mocha
1/4 c almonds

dinner
roast beef
1/2 c mashed potatoes 1T gravy
sm salad
Old 02-04-2012, 10:54 PM   #84  

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone...don't have much time but wanted to pop in at least. I was SO tired last night..I went to bed very early, woke up about 9 pm and watched a little TV, then went back to bed and slept in til about 9:30. I think I could have slept even longer but felt like I was sleeping my life away so got up. The weather has been nice here..in the 50s and sunny at least part of each day. It's really cold in the garage now (where I do laundry) though.

Today has seemed very short...for one thing getting up late, and when I did get up I ended up spending a big chunk of my day trying to fix a problem. Joe's been getting confirmation emails from online companies in another man's name and a different address and number (back east). Nothing that costs us but I wanted to get it straightened out anyway so mostly all I accomplished was to inform them. At least I've been busy and not eating so much! There's a good side to everything!
Old 02-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #85  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello Goldens.

I had a good day - getting my hair done was nice and it was relaxing as usual. Alan is the former partner of one of my lifelong friends. We have stayed close even after they broke up. I let him wax my lip today. (OWWW) Now it feels really weird. I have a new york cheesecake finishing in the oven as I type this. Part of my contribution for the superbowl party tomorrow.

Rosey I am so glad that they were able to get that needle out of your foot. Maybe taking care of you will get Steve's mind off his troubles.

Mary, so nice that you got a good sleep. You must have needed it!

Hi Linda! Join the party. Tell us about you!

Lucinda, you have a 10 year old daughter? My youngest son turned 30 today. Crazy.

Donna, I am going to look for the drain stuff. Mine goes wonky about 2 times per year. I am so glad that it was a relatively easy fix.

Isabella, that tart looks so good. I love tomatoes and cheese. I am thinking that it would be pretty little mini tartlets, also. A quick and savory bite..... It is really frustrating watching people struggle and watching them make unwise choices. You are a good soul. After all, we don't want their kids hungry no matter what the parents are doing.

Karenmo, it sounds like you are really enjoying your bible study. My Grandma used to tell me stories of Esther when I was little.

Marie, do the doggies get nervous when it is time to go to the vet? How are you feeling?

CarolSue, if you can figure out how to make the pounds invisible, I will drive to the pacific northwest and eat the tomato tart at Marie's house. In fact, Zoe and I will market the method and we will all retire to the crone circle and live a life of luxury on the profits.

Lynn, how sad about your friends decline. The mind is an amazing thing. Soon, she won't know that she is not there... So sorry.

Cinnamonie, I loved my mini tramp. These days, I would probably rebound into the tv. I have read about people using it for walkitout games online.

Gayle, I sure wish I had a sister. I have a couple - sisters of the heart, but no real sisters. You will never regret time spent talking with them.

Zoe, I LOVE your hair, also! LOL. Alan is very saddened about my hair loss and gave me another regime to try this month. Don't worry about me love, I am ok. I take vitamins daily. Because I have lupus, my imune system is often compromised. I am around teens on a daily basis and I am exposed to lots of germs. You might be thinking of the problems I had in December - but that was surgery and knee problems. Too many aches and pains. I hit the cold with zinc and airborne and I feel pretty good tonight.

Bobbi, how is the home renovation comming?

Freda, I hope your sister is ok. I smoked until about 3 years ago. It is so sad and a really terrible addiction. I have no desire to smoke at all. Strangely, I don't seem to mind if others smoke. Terrible health consequences, though. I don't think I could have embarked on a weight loss journey while smoking, although I always said I couldn't quit because of the "weight gain". Hugs.

K3, how was your bridge day? Did you kick butt??

Well, I know that I am missing people but the cheesecake is done and I am tired. I promised the little guy that he could sleep with me tonight. So, I will have a little snuggle bunny in my bed to help me with my rest. Later all!

Rie

Old 02-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #86  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Good Morning GG! Yesterday, DH went back up in the attic and found my turkey stuffing bowl! Just in time. I am cooking a turkey dinner today. I forgot about it being Superbowl day since the Steelers aren't playing and the turkey was partially defrosted before I remembered. The step children aren't coming for dinner because they will be in a bar somewhere watching the game. But I will save leftovers for them and they can heat them up for dinner tomorrow.

Isabella - The opening of the holes in my belly are really small now...if you don't know they're there you can't see them. But the inside is still big..a couple inches. I don't know if the water is actually going into them. Most of my life we didn't have a shower. I was 30 years old when I moved into an apartment that had a shower and I haven't taken a bath since! I hate it! I pretty much don't like swimming pools either.

The tomato tart looks great. I will copy the recipe and put it in my recipe file for future use.

I agree about the people smoking and drinking when they can't afford food. There's no excuse for it. When I was a kid my mother smoked. When money got tight she started cutting cigarettes in half. (non filtered) Then eventually she quit because she couldn't afford them.

Marie - I too prefer the computer to the phone. I rarely talk on the phone. I am still in touch with my best friend from high school, but we email back and forth rather than call. I think it's easier because you can email/post at your own convenience rather than be on the phone when you have other things to do.

I'm sorry to hear that the doctors aren't able to give you any relief. Isn't it weird though, that we still have to pay them whether they help us or not!

Bobbi - Along with everyone else, I am waiting patiently for "after" pics. The old cabinets in the picture didn't look too bad, actually, but I understand that there are things you can't see in a picture.

Freda/Zoe - My husband had a heart attack on 4/22/1993 and that was the day he had his last cigarette. I smoked until he came home from the hospital so my date was 5/1/93. I was really surprised that he quit, but he said if he went that long without a cigarette he could go longer. I would not have been able to quit if he didn't quit.

Rosey - I'm glad they got the needle out of your foot. We always wear shoes in our house. The worse place is downstairs near my sewing machine. I could never stand to go barefoot.

Lynn - That was scary about your niece and the needle. Glad to hear she's ok now. I hope you're starting to feel better. Lots of cranberry juice and yogurt should help.

Karen31 - I have spent so much time in the hospital the past few years that we always say that we need to have a family suite, as my stepson and his wife both needed surgery too. Her lung collapsed twice while he was recouperating from heart surgery. These are people in their 30's and 40's!

Rie - Cheesecake? I want to come to your Superbowl party! Hope you're feeling better.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #87  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Hi Everyone,

Happy Superbowl Sunday!

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinweighting View Post
Lynn's Accountability –

Wt. 147

Exercise - 70 min - 30 bike; 30 treadmill at 3.3; 10 weights

Breakfast – protein bar

Morning Snack - SF pudding

Lunch - potato; carrots; stew gravy; lo-carb bread

Afternoon Snack -

Dinner - breakfast pie; applesauce

Evening snack - SF pudding

Cals - 980

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 02-05-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #88  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG’s,

One day down, one to go. Hoping that I get out on time tonight and can see some of the Superbowl. I’m not so much into sports, but I like to see the halftime show and the commercials. And it is fun to kind of follow it because Jason enjoys it and it is fun talking with him about it.

Off tomorrow, then Tuesday ~ Friday, the boss is sending me and two of my coworkers to some big meeting (not one we have to travel to) with people from all over the hospital ~ different departments, where they are trying to gain insight into what takes admissions and moving patients (from one unit to another as needed) so long and how to improve it. I guess it is good to try to improve, but I can’t for the life of me imagine how this is going to take 4 eight hour days. Wondering if when all is said and done if it will change anything. Oh well, I can go ~ I get paid anyway ~ sit and listen ~ share my experiences if asked ~ not so bad. I wish the seats in that room were more comfortable, but it is better than if I had to stand for 8 hours.

I didn’t mean for it to seem like I was complaining about talking to my sister and friends. It is not that ~ it is the frustration of work getting in the way of fun, and not having enough time to do the things I enjoy.

From Marie: Gayle, ditto on the chatting endlessly with the non-workers. Every weekend my family thinks I should be on the phone talking with them for hours and then my weekend is gone. I LOVE to talk to them but I really don’t like hours spent on the phone. Hours here… that’s a different matter all together. Maire ~ I know ~ spending hours on 3FC ~ LOL ~ that is part of my frustration ~ when the lack of time prevents me from getting my GG’s fix.

From Freda: Gail, Hopefully we'll be in the retired group with lots of time to talk soon too. But I understand how you feel. I clean while i'm talking. Dusting gets done. sweeping the floor, lots of choirs. You mentioned that you talked to your mom while you were walking. Are you still walking? Freda ~ I do stuff too while I am talking ~ so glad to have a hands free phone so I am not tied to a chair, and don’t mind talking for a long while if I can move around and do stuff while I talk. Multi tasking My friend just got skype and is excited to be able to talk to me that way ~ I can not do other things while I talk with her that way. Maybe when the newness of it wears off ~ she won’t want to be doing it as often.

From Isabella: Gayle, I'm afraid I'm one of those retired ones who keeps my sister and friends on the phone for hours. I shall back off, lol. I'm not a phone chatter by nature but when I do phone it's usually a marathon. Isabella ~ don’t back off with the talking ~ I didn’t mean to make anyone feel bad about doing so. It is always good to get to spend time with family/friends when ever we can.

From Rie: Gayle, I sure wish I had a sister. I have a couple - sisters of the heart, but no real sisters. You will never regret time spent talking with them. Rie ~ I know ~ I don’t regret talking, I am just frustrated that there always seems to be a shortage of time for the enjoyable stuff.

From Freda: Are you still walking? Freda, I haven’t been doing as well with the walking lately. I have been so tired. I have not been sleeping as well (need a new mask for my cpap ~ it is not getting a good seal right now and so I have not been able to rest as well) and have been feeling so tired. DH is working on getting me a new mask ~ after my hospital was sold, we now have different insurance and have to work with the new insurance to find the place to purchase the stuff, that they accept, so the equipment will be covered. It is such a bunch of red tape and all ~ so thankful that I have DH to navigate all that BS for me ~ I would be lost. I will get back to the walking.

The insurance is Blue Cross/Blue Shield. I always felt that they were a good insurance to have, but they seem crappy. Our other insurance ~ preventative things like mamograms were free. This insurance they charge for everything. I shouldn’t get started on insurance. I watch our patients ~ be sent to our floor sooner than they should be for their condition ~ because their insurance says they have to. Then they have to turn around and be sent back to ICU or where ever, because they were too sick in the first place and should never have been sent to us. Stupid insurance. Sadly, you can’t afford to be without it though.

Ok, gotta quit having fun ~ get ready and off to work. Hope you all are having a good weekend.

Take care
Old 02-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #89  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Welcome newbie from Neveda!

I'm on my way to church! Day off from carpentry.
Carol Sue..those few cupboards you see in the picture are part of the new ones. I didn't get pictures of the kitchen completely stripped. The small cabinet off to the left is the cabinet that Home Depot measured wrong. The old cabinets that we pulled out were old painted ones.
Quote:
Bobbi - Along with everyone else, I am waiting patiently for "after" pics. The old cabinets in the picture didn't look too bad, actually, but I understand that there are things you can't see in a picture.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #90  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Rosey, thank goodness they were able to get the needle out. I hope the aches from the process eases quickly and that your DH focuses on your for a while, not his lack of food choices. And that tetanus shot hurts like no tomorrow.

Donna, I’m thinking even catsup wouldn’t fix that turkey meatloaf. When I started on my weight loss journey (holy smokes about 4 years ago), one of the promises I made to myself was to never, ever eat something that didn’t do that tango of happiness on my tongue. Every calorie consumed had to be amazing. I have stuck with that and I swear it was a big part of my success. Throwing away food was no longer a problem in my mind. That turkey meatloaf would have been in the dumpster asap.

BTW Donna, Kai wants SamCat to come to Oregon to hold her paw on Wednesday. She’s having her teeth cleaned. She’s my youngest and her teeth were the worst. Even the vet was amazed that her 11 year old sister had beautiful pearly whites and Kai (almost 4) had tartar and gum issues. So under she goes. Also she growled at the vet when the vet was trying to look at her teeth. I didn’t know Kai knew how to growl.

Linda, welcome aboard. Where in NV are you located??? My daughter lives in Reno and I visit several times a year. I’m trying to decide when to drive down so we can ski at Tahoe. I haven’t skied yet this year (lack of snow). If you’re in the Reno area, it would be great to meet for coffee sometime.

Lucinda, I did what you suggested as I really have no desire to buy a Starbucks franchise. I purchased Starbucks stock when I was up at 3 yesterday morning. DH just rolled his eyes at me.

Mary, way to go on being busy and not having time to eat. That is always a good plan.

Rie, ditto on the lip waxing. That is the only one I really hate and haven’t done it in a year. Since I have nearly invisible blonde hairs I figure “why bother”. And your comment to Carol Sue on the invisible pounds had me .

Carol Sue, I’m on my way!!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE turkey. Did I mention I LOVE turkey. Pretty much as much as dark chocolate and mochas. I wanna come over.

Gayle, I don’t think anyone thought you were complaining about chatting on the phone with family members. We were all commiserating that the weekends disappear when we do that and us that still are worker bees just wanna gork on the weekends. Love chatting with my family; I just wish I could do it while I’m at work.

My plans were changed last night when DIL asked me to babysit DGD. Since I’d planned on gorking, the answer was yes. I figure the “Marie in the Dog House Meter” with them just took a nudge to the getting out. I know I’ll never be out but I get to play with my DGD. DH has a cold and is in the contagious stage. I did warn her and they were ok with that. So this afternoon will be play time. Ah darn, I’ll miss the Super Bowl. YEAH!!!! Since my Packers aren’t in it.
Marie
Closed Thread