Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #91  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Karen3, it's a good thing I wasn't eating or drinking when I read your potato chip advice. I'd have choked for sure as I let out a big laugh when I read it. It's funny, though, DH was eating salt and vinegar chips last night and they didn't call to me at all. It's those plain unadulterated chips that do me in.

Oh, Mary, I know what you mean about snacking on whatever is available. True, it's not the same as the beloved chips, but it seems when I get in a mood like that I'll eat anything trying satiate my need for something salty.

Rosey
, hope DH will be home cuddling with you soon enough.

Deelee, you'll have to make Bridge night your treat night and have a little piece of dessert and a bite of chocolate. BTW, I'd like to meet that one person in the world who overeats broccoli. LOL As for facial hair, like where did that come from???? I've got my trusty tweezers on high alert at all times.

Karen31, it's so nice to hear you speak of how close your family is. My only sister and niece is a five hour drive away. We usually only see each other once a year. She's deathly afraid of the highway so she won't travel to see me unless by some miracle her daughter could drug her long enough to get her here. LOL

Lucinda, that 5 mile trek to the Synagogue and back is a good bit of exercise. Is there much snow down in NY? (I believe that's where you are living???) I don't think I could survive on 900 calories. You must be a strong woman to do so.

Carol Sue, we were posting at the same time. Please don't get rid of your DH, LOL. That would be an extreme diet for sure!

Well, I didn't get back last night but I'm here now, haha. This is the damage from yesterday.

Quote:
Breakfast: Oatmeal (with bran, wheat germ & flax), 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts, 1 tablespoon chopped dates, brown sugar, skim milk, 1/2 giant sized tangelo.

Dinner: (And this is where it gets bad) Macaroni & Cheese, 1/2 Veggie steak, fried potatoes, baked beans, tossed salad, dribble salad dressing, 1 roll & margarine, apple pie & ice cream (all modest servings and some rather small) After that I picked, picked, picked at the macaroni, potatoes and rolls--almost another meal's worth.

Supper: (late at 9:30) 2 small slices fresh bread with margarine and honey on one.

Exercise
: 11.65 km on exercise bike, 44 minutes
My dinner seems rather large but when we have a meal with so many things I take only a small serving of most things, except for the salad. There is always space between the food on my plate. Even my beloved macaroni & cheese was really cut down yesterday. I don't like baked beans much so it's only a couple of tablespoons. I constrained my desire to have 1/4 of the apple pie and had less than an 1/8 slice and the ice cream was from one of those cookie scoops. It's the after dinner picking that did me in. What I need is a dining room maid to come in and swoop the food off the table immediately after eating and put it all away before I leave the table and wander into the kitchen looking the my after dinner fix. Maybe, she could make the beds as well while she was waiting for dinner. LOL Some of you may wonder why I have potatoes with macaroni. It's a thing from childhood. My aunt always had fried potatoes when she served macaroni & cheese (I think to stretch the meal) and I always feel the meal is missing something if I don't have the potatoes. I just love them served together. I have a friend who always serves potato salad with lasagna. Well, I'm not going to worry over that after all it's another day to rephrase Scarlet O'Hara.

I don't know what's on the agenda for today. We were going to go shopping and drop in on DS and DIL but not sure now. DH is going to his mother's with his brother to clean out her driveway after the snow yesterday. It could have been worse as we didn't get the high winds so drifting is at a minimum. It's the most snow yet this winter and it really looks like winter out there as we really haven't had much since December. I guess I'll get on the bike and get that over with while DH does his mother's driveway. Then I'll see what the day holds for me.

I'll be back with today's stats later on tonight.

Have a good one.

Last edited by retiredone; 01-29-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #92  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning... I love all the long post from everyone and will chat you all up tomorrow.
I love the story of licking the salt off the potato chips (KarenFla) and the belly rubbing on hubby. Lucinda, I was wondering if he was part retriever too!
I only have time to post my menu:
Quote:
Keep me Accountable menu 968calories + 44 grams fiber

Breakfast - Fiber One, Carmel Cinnamon yogurt , Flax & Chia seeds,
3oz. Chunky Cinnamon applesauce

Lunch- Carrot and Squash Curry soup

Snack - Orange

Supper - Left-over’s from last night Pork Roast, Red Cabbage baked with apples, butternut squash

Mock coconut pudding sugar free cool whip ½ serving dry fiber one on top

Late night snack Honey Nut Cheerios, no milk

Last edited by Bobbolink; 01-29-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #93  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello Goldens!

It has been a busy weekend of late nights and early mornings. I have been hanging out with my friends at a tourney. So, I haven’t checked in here much. I have been reasonably good with eating except for last night when my parents took me out for my Bday and I ate prime rib. It was sure good. Anyhoo, I am frustrated that the scale is up several pounds over the last couple days. I know that it is from salt, etc, but it is still discouraging.

That being said, I still continue to get lots of comments from the traveling players who don’t see me very often about my weight loss. It is both fun and uncomfortable.

My laptop died so instead of lounging with the family and 3fc I am in my home office…. I am glad that I have another option.

I just read through 3 pages of posts with smiles, warmth and sometimes, guffaws….. Lets see if I can respond.

Karenfl, {snorts, guffaws} you are so funny! I want to know if the underwear fits? I think I would be horrified if I found the gigantic granny panties that I would have purchased a year ago. OH, wait! I still have some in my drawer. )I don’t know why???

Karenmo, your smoothies sound really good. I also went around blending everything when I got my bullet. I love that thing.

Donna, the food slide show was horrifying….. I was especially heartbroken about the KFC…. My favorite.

Isabella, I think it is really “old school” to serve potatoes with EVERY meal, and I think they did it to save money. My grandmother didn’t like potatoes. She always said that she ate way too many of them when she was young because they were poor.

Rosey, hoping that Steve is getting better. The lovely grizzly bear…. And I loved Three Dog Night. “Jeremiah was a bullfrog!” Oh my, we are showing our age with that one…

Bobbi, last night when I was looking at my evening snack I put a little sprinkle of fiber one on yogurt. It was good! Thanks for the idea.

Lucinda, I love the chuckles over your dh belly rubbing. Too cute. Great job on the walking.

Mary, I am sorry that you struggle so much with the snacking issue. I know that you will get a handle on it. My best trick was that I made a rule that I had to eat at least 2 cups of plain romaine lettuce before my snack…. It worked. I guess I kind of turned it into a chore – rather than pleasure. Last night I didn’t want anything but I need that blood sugar control snack at night. It wasn’t fun to eat.

Carol Sue, It is hard that you have to worry about the cost of your care. On the “dh diet”. Yesterday an older lady told me, “I lost 250 pounds once.” When I exclaimed and asked her how she did it, she said, “oh it was easy. It only cost me $5000 in attorney fees to get rid of the SOB” Tee Hee. Funny that you were posting about that…

DeeLee, I want to know how those facial hairs are not there one day and the next…. They are an inch long!??? I check every morning and still – there they are. My mom always reminds me to take care of her chin hair if she cant. The things that we think of….

Daylilly, welcome and try karen’s suggestions on how to post with word. I do it because I hate losing a post!

BeeSparkle, Hello! And Welcome. Faithful friends, indeed.

Gayle, it will feel good for you to get that room done – or at least a little more organized. I envy you…. Remember that I have several rooms here that could use your skills. My ds will cook for you. Of course, you and I would spend all our time chatting and nothing would get done. But it would be fun!

Zoe, Did you spend the weekend doing grandma chores?

Marie, I cant wait to hear about your weekend adventures….

Well, I know that I have missed people here…. Sorry. I must get in the shower and get into town. The boys play at 11. I hope to be back later.

Rie
Old 01-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #94  
Bobbi

Okay all you quilters, a quick questions for you. My quilt is ready to be hand tied and binding put around the edge of quilt. Do I tie the quilt, then bind it or bind the quilt, then tie? I'd appreciate a quick answer as I'm going down to work on it now. I googled it and never got a straight answer, just how to do it. I want to know what to do first.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 01-29-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 180 / 177 / 160

Height: 5 ft 5 inches

Morning gals,

I seem to get in here much later then you other then I think Friday. Then Somehow I did not know how to click to #6 then. How do you do that if one comes in early. I call it the early bird groups here. Most of you.

I am just learning who is who. I can see the names of each one but it takes time to sink in. Who is who as you all know each other I guess for some time.So i have to look at your faces also. I see you talk about your foods you eat and is this where you put it or it is a subject someone has started in conversation. Wow I had to laugh about the gal here licking off the salt. Well where do you think the salt goes by licking it unless you have a spit spitoon beside you. So far I have been making the Crispy squares for snacks toward my points extra at night. Not every night. Is it good. I have managed to bag atleast half and freeze it. I also eat lettus. I do feel like a rabbit . I can eat it without any dressing. Sometimes I eat that as a veggie. With my rice and fish meal. I am trying to eat all the foods we should to get healthy at all meales. Sometimes I find to eat even half a banana I find a struggle. I am learning that when you eat the natural fruits and veggies. It fills me up more. Some days. I find each meal it is filling and like a kid who's Mom says. Now Mary eat up or you meat or you wont get any dessert. I find I am like that. As where as before. My meals were not satisfying me to be full. So I am proud of myself for changing the eating for healthy eating. Well I guess I am the last coming in here today. So not sure if any of you look at the post day before. If not. I am talking to self. As usual. Better not answer myself. I will be in trouble.

I weigh in to-morrow. I am still trying to figure where I join for that in this group. Weigh in. I think I did go to another part in here. Talk about senior moments. Oh, my. I think it was called like Simple Filling Weigh watchers.. I cannot go check as if I do. I lose my place to post.

Last edited by beesparkle; 01-29-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #96  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I have a question about Fiber One. Today I cut out a coupon for it from the newspaper, but I noticed there are several different flavors. What flavor does everyone buy? What is the difference between Original and 80 Calorie? Along with the coupon was a recipe for a no-bake haystack. You use chocolate morsels melted together with peanut butter, then stir in Fiber One cereal and mound it onto wax paper to cool. It's not exactly what would be considered a healthy treat, but it would be a little healthy using the Fiber One cereal, for the whole family, too!

Bobbi - I hope you got your answer about finishing off your quilt. I can't help you, as I had no idea what it all meant.

Beesparkle - This thread is somewhat separate from the rest of 3FC. We post anything in this thread....weigh-ins, menus, recipes, diet tips and even personal day to day experiences. Sometimes I take notes as I read so I can reply to each person regarding their post. Sometimes I put it in Microsoft Word and c & p, just depends on my mood. Most people just start reading where they left off the last time they were here, so your posts will get read. I think they are automatically tacked on the end of the last page no matter where you are reading when you post. In time you will become familiar with the different people. I have only been posting here for a few months and I am learning who each person is.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #97  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Hi GGs. I thought I did pretty well last night with the food we had at bridge. I guess I had a little too much pizza, one piece of cake - up went the scale. Sigh.
Karen 31 - thanks for the computer tips. I'm working on it. I was able to get both windows going. I typed in a little test but wasn't able to copy and paste it. I will keep at it though. If I ever see DS again (whine) he can help me. So I'm doing this from memory.
Bobbie - the hand tying is the quilting part -right? I think you do the quilting before the binding so everything stays in place. But I am not the expert.
Bee Sparkle - people bop in and out of here all the time.Some days people have more time than others. And this thread is for the month - doesn't end every day. They roll it over after 500 posts so people will see what you wrote. I don't really know enough about this site's specifics. On this thread a lot of us post weight loss or gain. A lot of us post what is giving us trouble. People will offer suggestions and encouragement. Its a good place to get and give support. I don't think there are actual rules for this particular thread. Being 50+ we have a lot of things in common: slower metabolism, hormone issues, health issues like diabetes, arthritis, cataracts, ect., empty nest syndrome. So many things that ultimately affect our weight. So many things - someone on this thread has, "been there and done that."
Some are on a "Challenge" and I don't know about that. I say, just dive in and say what's on your mind. My main problem is CARBOHYDRATE ADDICTION - Last night I thought I was doing "portion control" but evidently my portions were for a 6'4" man in his twenties...I should go to the gym now but I'm really missing my sons - both grown up (sort of - I don't have to support them anymore.) But I want to go see the George Clooney movie - I think that will cheer me up. But maybe I should really go work out...burn off some of those extra calories...Oh yeah, I had 4 glasses of wine...What was I thinking?
Hope everyone is having a wonderful day.

Last edited by deelee10; 01-29-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:47 PM   #98  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I want to vent about a pet peeve. Just when I find something I really like, they discontinue it. This time it's bras. I finally found a Playtex I really like and now it's discontinued. I look all over the internet to see if someone had some left that I could order, and nada. I went shopping and tried some on in a similar style but they just don't fit the same. Most of the ones I have are stretched out and not fitting right anymore. Grrrrrrrrr

I have some too big grannie panties that I was going to throw out, but luckily I didn't, because now that I'm wearing this big bandage every day it helps to have them a little big. Sometimes it pays to be a hoarder.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #99  

testing 1
Old 01-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #100  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

greetings beesparkle... I am also learning to differentiate between the wonderful supportive women who post on the 50 + forums.
I am also still learning how to differentiate hunger from boredom, frustration,(thanks to raising a late in life daughter), thirst and boo-hoo feeling sorry for my self.
so I have relegated snacking to only once a week on saturday afternoon or night. And no packaged foods.
When i snack I will stick to water chestnuts, or mixed roasted nuts and raisins. yes I know those are fattening but this girl has got to live a little.
I used to drink patron cafe. for those of you who don't know, that is coffee flavored tequilla. i used to drink that and eat pita chips with hummus. But I can easily wolf down the entire bag and a whole container. that is close to 1000 calories right there.
I don't think, or i don't know of a place on this forum to record our weekly weigh ins, unless you mean the ones below our onscreen name. My sister who lost over 70 pounds this year says only weigh yourself once a month.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #101  

Carole Sue - My pet peeve too! Especially the bras. I have a couple that I wore to death. Finally found some that I like again. This time I bought 4, 2 nude color and 2 black. I bought all the nude they had. I went back and they don’t have anymore. All the bras want to hoist the girls up - which is very uncomfortable and looks gross.
I think mine are Warners. I keep meaning to check their web site.

Last edited by deelee10; 01-29-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #102  

Bobbie i tie or hand quilt first then bind. my sister told me about a quilting adhesive spray that is machine friendly, its helps stick all the layers together and you dont need pins or safety pins to hold the layers. if you bind first sometimes u get bunching. i used the spray adhesive and love it. you can get it at craft and fabric stores or in e-bay or amazon. i want to see pics of your finished creation. rosey
Old 01-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #103  

Good evening girls,guess I must be the "cat's tail" today. Have to share the computer with DH. He has to explore every nook and cranie of the internet.

Deelee know just what you mean by a discontinue of your favs. I have a running shoe that t I had for work. I was on my feet for 12 hour shifts and these were the best. Of course they had to discontinue them Found another brand but they were never the same. With plantar fasciitis one has to be fussy.

Retiredone, hey,my grand mother had to serve potatoes with almost everything! Must be a Newfoundland thing. The last storm passed us by and I see you guys got the bulk of it. Ours turned to rain so now we have ice and lots of it.

Riemontan and Karen I am going to try and c and p from wordpad as I don't have M.Word. Perhaps it will work from there.
Also, Rie I seen you made a comment to Donna about a food slide show. If you ever seen food under a black light,then you would know what ugly pathogens are on our food. Worked in the food industry 20+ years and have seen lots of nasties.

Weigh for me is tomorrow. Crossing my fingers but I did well this week with choices. So here's hoping.
DH keeps me busy in the kitchen as he "needs" his sweets so he says. I also am a cake decorator so I am thankful that I have not had any orders lately. Tasteing frosting and fillings is not good for my sweet tooth! I can't let a cake go out of the house with out knowing how it tastes so all that just goes on the hips!
Well, so I won't ramble I had better quit. Have a great evening.
Chris
Old 01-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #104  
Bobbi

Thank Rosey, I used common sense and started the tying first. I got to thinking about how uneven and bunching it could end up and decided tying was the smarter thing to do. I also watched a video on machine tying instead of hand and they suggested machine tying on very heavy fabrics. My blue jean quilt weighs a ton, so I got 3 of the large squares sewed down, using my largest stitch. So far looks great but have to stop for the day.
On the Fiber One, I only buy the original @ 60 calories a serving. The other Fiber One varieties have too many calories and not as much fiber. I've made those haystacks using PB2 peanut butter, very delicious. But you can't eat just one, yummy! I love the original cereal to sprinkle over sugar free pudding, makes it taste like pie only the crust is on top.
I have to get supper, easy tonight since DH would like tomato soup and grill cheese sandwiches. Funny, this is what my mom cooked every Sunday nite since her large meal was at noon after church.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #105  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Rie, potatoes may be "old school" but I love them. I don't always have them with macaroni but when I do I'm very happy, lol. I just went over my monthly menu for February and, yes, I have potatoes in the menu many times. I thought I'd cut out a few of them but I couldn't bear to part with them.

Bobbie
, I believe Deelee and Rosey answered your quilt question and I agree with them. Tie first and then bind.

Beesparkle, you can post your weight right here if you wish. If you look around the 3FC site you will see other threads that you might also be interested in that may have a weigh in thread or a challenge. We have a challenge in the 50+ forum that Marie has started. I'm sure she'd welcome you there also. But you may just stay here if you wish for now. I'm one of the GG that posts my menus here. The 3FC site can be a bit confusing when you first join. I thought I'd never find my way around. We're here for you and we'll try and direct you to the right places. It doesn't matter which time of the day or night you post--you can only be the first one at the beginning of the month or the last one at the end of the month.

Carol Sue
, that treat with the Fibre one sounds good. Some of the other GG can fill you in on the cereal as they eat it everyday. As for things being discontinued, that drives me crazy. It happens at the grocery store all the time.

Deelee, that scale will come down. Don't weigh after a treat night. Wait a few days for things to settle down. After all you'd have to eat over 3000 calories to gain a pound. You didn't eat that much, did you?

Lucinda, how often do you weigh? I couldn't wait for a month like your sister. I weigh once a week. I was doing it every day but that made me a scale slave.

Rosey, is this spray adhesive used to keep the layers together while you quilt? I don't quilt anymore but if I take a notion to pick it up again I'll look for that.

Daylily, we must have been posting at the same time. Yes, we got lots of snow but DS on the east coast got mostly rain like you did. Newfoundlanders are great potato eaters. Your grandmother was true to her roots, lol.

Here's my eats and exercise for the day.

Quote:
Breakfast: 1 slice ww toast, 1/2 tablespoon almond butter, 2 tablespoons applesauce

Dinner: Leftovers from yesterday. Macaroni & cheese, veggie steak, tossed salad, dribble salad dressing

Supper: Lentil burger pattie, sauteed onions & green peppers, slice tomato, a little cheddar cheese, tomato relish, 1 slice ww bread, 1 teaspoon margarine, 1 tablespoon lite molasses, 1 giant tangelo

Exercise: 13.49 km on exercise bike, 45 minutes

Last edited by retiredone; 01-29-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Closed Thread