Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #466  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Okay Marie, you convinced me.....I'm a quilter. Now tell me how to make my letters smaller. I was fooling around and tried bigger print on this thread, I hate it. How do I get back to smaller print? When I check out the thread through Internet Explorer, the print is small. It's only big thru Foxfire?
Old 01-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #467  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Well, the doctor's office got me all a flutter this morning, calling so early and telling me to come in. I did see the doctor this time, but he said the CT scan didn't show anything he didn't expect. No problems. But he wanted to see the wounds firsthand since he had been out of the office the other times I was in. He said they look the way they should look...no inflamation etc. He also said that the infection is a wound infection and confined to the wound, not going anywhere else in my body. He did another culture. Hopefully the infection is gone or almost gone because I'm on day 7 1/2 of a 10 day course of antibiotic. So the nurse is to keep on packing. The wounds are deep and will take a while to heal. He seemed to be a little peeved that I am so whiney about this, but I'm paying him....he'll get over it!!
Old 01-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #468  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I have a question for the quilters. Are these quilts hand quilted or machine quilted. I never made a quilt, but I cut a pattern out of a magazine years ago for a beginners quilt. It is machine quilted. My plan was to make the quilt after I retired, but so far most of my retirement has been spent in the hospital or recouperating.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #469  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Okay, this will be it for today... I'm not as chatty as some of the rest of you!

Bobbi - I'll answer until Marie can: you can temporarily reduce the size of the font by clicking the CTRL button and the - button at the same time.

CarolSue - at least the Demigod saw you and pronounced you whiney (which you ARE NOT)... that's something! Bah on insensitive doctors!! As someone said, let THEM try to live with these things and see how quickly THEY whine!

CK - how's your FIL? Good thoughts!

Jenye - another Aussie! We'll expect details and descriptions from you, along with your own vernacular and idioms! We had Koala for a while, but she is resting from 3FC for a while, and she was a HOOT.

All newbies, welcome! Everyone else, onward!
Old 01-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #470  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

Greetings my fellow weight-loss chickees. I have been busy these last few days and I have not fallen off my wagon. so this officially is the first week I have stayed honest withmyself and honest w/ my food addiction.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #471  

Height: 5'3"

Hello GGs!! I have to go fix dinner soon but thought I'd pop in quickly. We went to the gym today and I am now back to my usual workout. My back ached very slightly when I left but it went away quickly. This has been such a great month (and it's not over yet!) with my sweeping hobby! Today I won $50..this was from a survey company though so I did do a bit of "work" for it, so not a regular sweep. Cash is always a very good win of course! I don't think I've ever had such a good month as far as how many wins I've had!

Donna - Yes and I use control and + a lot to increase the size of the texts on websites for my old eyes.

Slmn - I had a bunch of squares my mother had ready to make her next quilt when she got sick and passed on. I had always planned to make a quilt adding in some of my own from sewing I did for the children and myself. Never have done it. My mom passed on in 1967! Don't think it's going to be done now...hope you won't be like me. I'm too busy entering sweeps! LOL
Glad that the infection is contained and that you are healing well.

Ashenpond - Jenye, WELCOME! Glad you have joined us!

Rosey - Well, sounds like the diet is helping your poor dh. Glad to hear it. Your soup sounds wonderful!

Rie - The last two funerals/memorial services I attended one had a big meal at a restaurant and the other at a country club. I'm sure they paid by the head and they had to buy more just in case because as someone mentioned, how do you know how many will come? Terribly expensive! I had never heard of this until these two as I rarely go to funerals and the one I attended before this had no meal. I doubt I'd be able to afford such a dinner if my dh passed on before me. I remember as a child that people used to take food to the family and not expect to eat it themselves. I do remember years later attending my bils and it was held in the church basement (sort of a hall for events) and I think people brought food in and it was served by the ladies in the church. Pretty sure my sister had nothing to do with it. People also brought food to her home for us who were staying there. How and when did all this change to the family spending huge amounts at restaurants, I don't know. This trend totally slipped by me. Seems to me the family ought to be provided for at a time like that, and not have to provide for others.

Karen31 - Sorry to hear about your fil. Sounds like he's been hit pretty hard recently. Will be praying for him and all of you.

Zoe - I tried on one pair of my new trouser socks and they fit awfully tight around my calves! I hope that doesn't bother me. I thought they would fit like my regular socks which I guess aren't true trouser socks.

Well didn't realize I was going to type this much...I'd better hurry and get dinner now before dh gets too hungry! ;-)

Last edited by maryea; 01-23-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:13 PM   #472  
Bobbi

Thanks Donna, worked perfect and the words are not glaring at me anymore.
Quote:
Bobbi - I'll answer until Marie can: you can temporarily reduce the size of the font by clicking the CTRL button and the - button at the same time.
In answer to the quilt being hand sewn or machine, machine sewn. My fingers are not as strong as they used to be, I'd never be able to make it by hand plus I wouldn't know how. I'm flying by the seat of my pants here. I've decided to stop making squares and will start sewing it all together tomorrow as it's getting very heavy.
Mary...you really should do something with your mom's squares, how about making pot holders with them or sew some together and frame them/hand on wall? Or how about a big wall hanging? Throw pillows?

Nighty night all!
Old 01-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #473  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Talking

I GOT my PB2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited! I mixed a couple af tablespoons up and it tasted so yummy that I got out my celery and slathered it with PB2 and thought I'd died and gone to heaven! Even dh, who is definitely a peanut butter snob - only will eat Teddie's unsalted, blah, blah and blah - said it was good! Oh, thank you - Bobbi? CaddyK? Rie? Marie? I can't remember all who encouraged me to try it, but, Oboy, it's now one of my favorite foods! I'm ordering more immediately! I got 4 jars and I don't want to risk running out!

Off to bed - just had to report that!

G'nite all!

Z
Old 01-24-2012, 12:06 AM   #474  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG’s,

Zoe ~ glad you got your PB2 and like it. They started carrying it in one of our local grocery stores ~ I got some, but haven’t gotten around to trying it yet. Wow ~ you had a busy weekend.

Bobbi ~ your quilt squares are beautiful. I’d say you are a quilter. I would like to find some church group that I could donate my scrap cloth to. I would like to someday maybe make a quilt, but don’t know if I have the patience for it. When I lived in Maine, the church ladies made quilts and I gave them a bunch of my cloth scraps. They made a quilt for the pastor’s wife as a going away gift when they moved on to another church ~ there were a lot of pieces of my cloth in it. It was sort of like looking at my life

Mary ~ congratulations on your “wins” ~ books and money. Glad that you have been able to get back to the gym and that your back isn’t hurting after.

Lucinda ~ way to go staying on that wagon ~ you’re doing great

Donna ~ I wonder if we are gonna have to start a GG’s January part 2? We are only up to the 23rd and we are not too far from the 500 post mark. It had usually seemed quiter on a weekend, but there were a lot of posts. I couldn’t keep up J How is SamCat doing? Give him an ear rub from me and meow from Meso.

Carol Sue ~ you’re right ~ you are paying that dr ~ he needs to give you the care you pay for and deserve and he should stop whining. Looking forward to when you get all better and can tackle that quilt you are wanting to do.

Jenye ~ glad you feel welcome ~ looking forward to getting to know you

Rosey ~ your quilts are beautiful too ~ I especially like the one with the moose and bears and pine trees. Thank you for the suggestion (I think it was you) about using a cucumber slice instead of a cracker. I did that tonight and spread humus on them ~ yummy

Marie ~ the nerve of work to interfere with your GG time ~ LOL. Sorry you have to be so careful with the food. That is scary. How is the gang (your fur kids)?

Lynn ~ glad you got all your passwords changed. What a mess. Your time together tonight with your friends sounded wonderful.

Rie ~ don’t apologize for your story telling and please don’t stop telling them ~ I loved the one about your grandma and passing on while working on the quilt ~ sounds like it was a peaceful passing and while she was doing something she loved. I think I (when my time comes ~ if we were allowed to choose) would like to do it just like she did). Is your week this week better so far than last week?

CK ~ did you get to try out your magic bullet yet. The different smoothie possibilities sound yummy. Sorry to hear about Tim’s dad ~ thoughts and prayers for you all

Isabella ~ were you able to get your glasses fixed? Your cold plate looked yummy. The beet salad ~ I think I would like to try. Seeing it reminded me of purple yam that some of my Filipino coworkers fixed.

Freda ~ how is your grandson doing? Yes, I worked today. I have still been doing the walking. Hope your DH is feeling better. Glad you got to enjoy your grandkids soccer game. Cool that it was inside so that you didn’t have to sit out in the cold.

Deelee ~ good going keeping up with going to the gym, and being so close to your pre-vacation weight. You’ll get there

Chickie ~ hope you are able to find a quilting group in your area to enjoy.

Lyn ~ enjoy your trip and the time with your daughter.

K3 ~ any more trouble with those nasty neighbors and their dogs? Your roasted vegies sound wonderful. I think I want to try those sometime. You keep singing ~ who cares if you can’t carry a tune. It is a happy sound and makes you feel happy

Chickhen ~ welcome ~ jump right in and enjoy ~ wonderful bunch of ladies here.

I'm sorry ~ I know I have left someone out. Getting sleepy. I'd better get to bed, so I can tackle that room tomorrow.

Hope you all rest well.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #475  
Bobbi

Good Morning and ditto on everything Gayle said!
Zoe...you can mix the PB1 powder into sugar free vanilla pudding for peanut butter flavored pudding. If you like dipping raw veggies in peanut butter, you might like my pb2 dipping sauce. I'll post it in a minute, gotta see if I kept it in my documents or just printed it out. Of course it has vinegar in it, my best friend.
Even eating two cookies left me low on calories, I was going to eat a half serving of Fiber one and cheerios before bed to get my calories/fiber up but forgot. The scale did drop two pounds and I'm off the dreaded plateau.
Quote:
Keep me Accountable menu 934 calories + 32 grams fiber

Breakfast - Fiber One, Orange yogurt , Flax & Chia seeds,
3oz. Chunky Cinnamon applesauce

Lunch- Carrot & Squash Curry soup
Visit to sister’s house for coffee and cookies. I really didn’t want any but I didn’t want to offend her so had one oatmeal cookie and one molasses cookie.

Supper -DH wanted breakfast sausage and pancakes. I made his the regular way, a separate batch for me with egg beater and no oil added. I made the breakfast sausage with 93% ground beef mixed with sausage seasoning I buy at the butchers counter.

Mock Coconut pudding with sf cool whip
Old 01-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #476  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello Goldens!

I was up early this morning after a short night. I had the "old lady alarm clock" (tmi) and I was unable to get back to sleep. It was a short night as I had pool league last night.

Today is my budget hearing before the county commissioners. It is a rough time because our financial picture isn't really great at this time. I am prepared, though and hoping for a positive experience.

Well, whooosh goes the scale as I have dropped 2 pounds. I am very happy now. The darn scale is sure weird the way that it moves. But I will take it.

Zoe, I am so glad that you really like the pb2. It is always concerning to recommend a product to people if they might not like it.

CaddyK, I am so sorry about Tim's dad. Thinking good thoughts for you.

Gayle, good luck today on your room sorting adventure! Maybe when you finish you can come to my house.....

Mary, our winning Mary! That is so cool that you have been winning all those prizes. So happy for you.

Donna, you are going to get your wish this month. Definitely going to be more than 500 posts. I am doing my best to contribute.

Bobbi, glad that you got the font stuff figured out. I agree with the others.... You are a quilter.

Chickadee, are you looking for a quilting group? I would think that there are many. My DIL is in a huge one, more than 50 people in ND. Our church ladies group was usually about 15 women but it has since gone away..

Lucinda, congrats on your accomplishment.

Jenye, yup, this is a great group. Jump in wherever you can.

Karen3, yes, any news about the nasty dog neighbors? I was tickled at your singing description. I agree with Zoe, sing away! sing with gusto!

Rosey, your quilts are lovely, as all your stuff is. I love it - "remember, he brings me flowers" ! What a guy.

Jenye, welcome back!

Carolsue, I am torn with being happy that the dr thinks the wound healing is normal and irritated again with the lack of caring attitude by most dr's. I will focus on my positive feelings for your recovery.

Marie, those allergies are scary and the peanut or soy allergies are so troublesome because they are in so many things. It is amazing and I am so glad that you are taking care. I guess I was ahead of my time in buying things like beef, turkeys, chickens and so much produce locally raised and processed. They are often less likely to have additives. Unfortunately, most of these have been tagged with the "organic" label and now they are outrageously expensive. Yes, my days are sometimes long. Mondays start at 6am workout and don't end until about 11pm when I return home from pool league. Oh well, keeps me moving!

Lynn, what a lovely idea to meet with your friends that way. Glad you got your passwords straightened out. I felt better about my bank's security system that forces me to change passwords all the time. I am often frustrated with that process but now, I am grateful. I also found out that one of my friends was hit this summer and all their money was taken out of their checking account through debit card theft. Because our bank uses visa debit cards, their liability was only $50. Good to know....

Well, chickies, I am off to meet the day. I know that I have missed several of you..... I will do better next time. Have a great day.

Rie

Old 01-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #477  
Bobbi

I see we're at 474 posts, I will start a Golden Girls #2 just before we reach 500.
Zoe, here's the recipe I use most:
8 servings of 1 oz. each, 35 calories
48 grams of PB2 (8 tablespoons)
3 Tablespoons soy sauce
3 servings Ginger (12 grams in tube)or 2 teaspoon fresh
1 teaspoon Splenda (I used liquid stevia)
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 teaspoon chili powder
4 grams chili pepper (in tube)
dash cayenne
1 teaspoon gar gum (if you use another thickener, you might have to do some cooking?) The calories will be higher too. Gar gum doesn't need to be cooked, it thickens in the frig.
Mix PB2 and 1/4 cup water in measuring cup, add more water if too dry. Put remaining ingredients into the measuring cup, whisk together. Add additional water to make 1 cup. Refrigerate in covered jar. (taste it, you might need to add more sweetener if too tart)
Sorry...after typing this out, I see I used gar gum and I don't have the original recipe I modified this from. Does your food scale measure grams? Most folks don't buy gar gum, that's a thickener used like corn starch only not as many calories. (one teaspoon will thicken 2 cups liquid and only 10 calories) I'll post some similar recipes using PB2.
Asian Sauce (I did try this, good but doesn't keep as long since it has fresh scallions in it)
4 Tbsp PB2
2 tsp. grated fresh garlic
2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
4 Tbsp light soy sauce
1/4 cup sliced scallions
1 cup water
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
2 tsp or to taste asian chili sauce
Mix to blend, serve over baked chicken breast.
Thai Peanut Sauce for grilled chicken or pork.
4 tsp peanut oil (I omit and use zero calorie cooking spray)
2/3 cup shallots or green onions
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp. crushed red peppers
6 Tablespoons PB2 + 3 Tablespoons water to make paste
2 Tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 tsp. brown sugar
1 Tablespoon lime juice
Spray pan with Pam, lightly brown onions. Stir in garlic, don't overcook garlic, it gets bitter. Add crushed red pepper, cook over low heat until fragrant and just beginning to color, about 3 minutes. Whisk in mixed peanut butter, hoisin, brown sugar and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 minute. Mix in lime juice.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 01-24-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #478  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

My life is officially over!!! The bottom element of my oven is not working. I might as well lie down and die...sigh... Where is DH when you need him?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #479  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Someone ~ find Isabella's DH ~ Quick!!!!!
Old 01-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #480  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning GG's,

Well, again we're going to reach that 500 mark. good for us! We are a chatty bunch.

Carol Sue, Glad the Dr. visit went well. I don't know why some wounds dehiss and some don't but they usually heal well, just take a little longer. Surgeons are in a class of their own. We have an ongoing joke, you have probably already heard it. What's the difference between God and Dr. Smith? (fictional surgeon). God never thought he was Dr. Smith.

Lucinda, Yeah for you!!! It takes me awhile to get started, but I tend to do better with time. Good for you for sticking to your diet.

Rosie, Beautiful quilts. I love quilts. I plan to take up quilting again when I retire.

Lynn, Have a good time with your friends.

Karen, Sorry to hear about your FIL. Prayers.

Karen, I love music. I love to sing. I can't carry a tune in a bucket. Does that stop me from singing? Only when a real live person can hear. My dog doesn't seem to mind. And in the car, with the radio turned up loud, I really don't sound so bad.

Rie, Staying busy, but not too busy, help me stay on a diet. I eat a lot from boredom. If that's true for you too, then continue to keep yourself busy. Good luck on that budget meeting.

Bobbi, if You make a quilt, you're a quilter. and, I have to tell you, it's addicting!

Marie, having to watch everything you eat can be a pain. But you probably eat better and think more about what you eat. It is hard to eat away from home though. The industry has made it very hard to figure out what is in our food.

Gayle, I'm going to take your and Rosie's suggestion and use cucumbers for dipping. You're talked me into it.

Someone put an APB out on Isabella's husband!!!!

Freda

Last edited by the slim me; 01-24-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Closed Thread