Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #436  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

I'm caught up on everyone's post and will highlight some of your thoughts.
Freda...soccer insides', wow.......must be a big arena. We were suppose to go to a hockey game out of town this afternoon but roads are all snow covered and icy. Doesn't stop the team, they go anyway. Stupid!
Rosey....What about sweet potato fries for hubby? We're in the same boat, living on stingy social security. Since we charge everything on our credit card, I usually have to wait until we both get paid before paying it off. We do pay it off every month to $0000.00 and sometimes have to take out some savings account money to do it. I about choked when we got our December and January bill from Christmas. DH loves that we put everything on our Cabela's card, it earns points for free merchandise. Do you have a Cabala's in Alaska? Our store is about 30 miles from us, too close if you asked me.
Quote:
alot of us we are cash poor a few days befor payday. being retired and living on a fixed income is the pitts at times esp with all the new dr bills. ugh however we are better than some so count my blessings.

Donna...we must be country hicks, I've never heard of a funeral being catered. We always have the church ladies made the meals and we're all on a rotating list to bake cakes for funerals. The last cake I made for a funeral was chocolate with a can of cherry pie filling on top and cool whip. DH was hoping some would be left but no such luck.
Quote:
Don't they have church ladies anymore who do the funeral lunches? Hmmm, that's too bad!

Dee...me too. That is eat half the cake in my chubby years. I rarely put frosting on the cakes I make DH, he likes to top it with ice cream or some of my rhubarb pineapple sauce and cool whip. Plus all that sugary frosting is empty calories.
Quote:
I picture it with a light dusting of powdered sugar...of course, I would eat at least half the cake and finish the rest for breakfast tomorrow
Lucinda...post a picture of yourself and your little poodle/yorkie mix. All 5 pounds of him.
Lyn....safe traveling to you and it's vacation...eat, drink and be merry. You can diet when you get home.
Quote:
lyngoing on a 3 week trip next Tuesday and (New orleans, FL and then NC to see our oldest DD). Vacations are just too hard to manage food on.
Zoe...You probably wouldn't get hungry on what I eat, most of it is bulk foods. I've learned to cut calories where I can and only eat low calorie foods til I'm stuffed. You also have a least 3 inches on me plus you do some form of exercise, rock climbing for one. Oh, that reminds me I haven't post yesterday's menu.
Quote:
have to keep reminding myself that you are a much smaller person than I am when I read your menu posts. I could never, ever manage on as few calories as you do. When I am *eating appropriately* I am taking in @ 1100 - 1200 calories a day.
Mary...I hope you take your blender back like everyone suggests, my old blender started doing that (oil leaking out and burning smell) but it was very old and I'd gotten my money's worth out of it.
Marie..I have always liked Husky dogs. We have a neighbor with one who was so loving and went everywhere with them. Do you ever massage their back legs? Our dog comes into the bathroom when I'm in there, turns his b-hind around so I can massage his back legs and the big leg muscle back there. Weird, I must have done that once when Peeing and now he thinks that's his opportunity to get a quick massage.
Quote:
They are a very non-aggressive breed. It truly takes work to make them mean but I know that people think they're mean because of their wolf like face mask.
Lynn...our roads are icy today too, good choice to turn around and catch some more zzzzzzz's. Why did you discontinue your juice diet?
KarenFla...you’ve been thinking I see! I didn’t even think about Steve (Rosey’s hubby) butchering the moose. BTW, I also purchase the sugar free cakes and have added applesauce in place of oil. You can find many recipes from Hungry Girl, one recipe they just added a can of pumpkin from a can and nothing else. I tried it once, very delicious. Next cake I'll add some yogurt like you instead.
Donna…We always turn off our computer at night. My tower gets so warm and I'm afraid it'll fry something inside.
Chick...I'm surprised you don't have Moose in Wisconsin. Funny we have them in Northern Minnesota, thought you did too. DH has never shot a moose but we've enjoyed the meat from friends.
Rie...yes, I love sweet sour soups. A few years ago I joined weight watchers and they had a sweet sour cabbage soup recipe. Up to that time, I'd never put vinegar in any soups. It was so delicious and since I've probably printed out a dozen different versions of cabbage soup with vinegar. Lately I've used Balsamic vinegar, that's even tastier.
Quote:
It seems that you like a lot of sweet/sour type tastes.
KarenMo... congrats on the one pound. I decided to wait until I find a better price plus I don't need to be so lazy since I have 3 food processors, a blender and a hand held blender. (Lazy as in washing them) I'm way too impulsive and buy every gadgets that come along.Hit me!
Quote:
Walmart had Magic Bullets for $49 and I also went to the MagicBullet site and you can get two sets for $99 there.. But I checked and BedBath and Beyond also has them for $49 so guess that is probably pretty much the going price.
Gayle...congrats on the 3 pounds, big number! I was wondering when all that spooky parking lot walking was going to pay off. We have folding chairs similar to yours plus DD purchased some bleacher chairs for us when watching basketball games. No legs, just seat and back with clamps that fit on wood bleachers.
Quote:
Down 3 pounds
Hi to everyone I missed, what's happened to Nancy...anyone know? I don't do facebook much and didn't someone mentions that?
I just went through my post and see all the terrible use of words, sentencing and spelling I do. Don't look Lynn.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 01-22-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #437  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Thanks Rie...you posted while I was typing my second post. I think that's quite a tribute to your granny, she must have been a wonderful lady.
Quote:
Oh Bobbi that quilt is wonderful!
Old 01-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #438  
lynard

S/C/G: 214/206/180

Height: 5'9"

Love the quilt photos, Bobbi. I was a member of a quilting group when my youngest was a baby. We would sit around the quilting rack and Sarah would be cooing away as we talked and stitched..the quilt was auctioned off to raise money for the local hospital. This was in a small rural village in upstate NY.

Last edited by lynard21; 01-22-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #439  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

Lyn, I always thought that I would like belonging to a quilting group. I have always enjoyed being the company of a group of women - ceramics, scrapbooking, and 3FC. However, I am not much of a sewer. Maybe I will give it a try.

Bobbi, I gave up the juicing because I read somewhere that low-sodium V-8 had just as many vitamins as most home-made juices. The juicer was a pain to clean and I never liked any of the juices I made as much as I like V-8.

Got to gym this morning - felt good. Skidded into a crossroad at a stop sign. Good thing nothing was coming - I skidded right across the road - was a back road & I was going at 25 mph.

I am finishing the 2nd week of my 3-wk course. Will be back online fully in February.

Take care,

Lynn

PS - my DD & SIL & I are moving into the 21st century and getting new cell phones - Androids. They should be delivered next week.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #440  

Just a quick Hi!

Bobbi your quilt is so nice and the fact that it is Green, is even nicer. That must be hard to sew, denim can be so heavy with layered. Looks very nice, beautiful shades of blue.

Rie, you comments are perfect and the story about your grannies quilt is so special, see that is why memories are so important and sharing them as well.

Lyn yes, that is what quilting groups are suppose to be about, helping the community and just getting together. Sounded like heaven. I need to find a group like that in my rural area.

Off for more relaxing on this wonderful Sunday afternoon.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #441  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hi everyone. Went shopping with DH today and wonder of wonders he actually bought himself a new coat and slippers!!! Everything was on sale but....if you only knew how hard it is to get him to buy clothing. We bought a few groceries but missed the bananas that were 50 cents a pounds. They're usually 95 cents. The store was all sold out but I may have to go back to town tomorrow to get my glasses fixed.

Last night when I was taking my t-shirt off my glasses kind of moved off my face. When I put them back on I couldn't see clearly. For a minute I thought I had on the wrong pair but as I didn't place them on the dresser I knew that wasn't possible. Then I realized they were sitting crooked on my face. It was as if my left ear had slipped down my head and the glasses were down on that side and up on the other. I barely touched the glasses taking off the shirt. Anyway, nothing was open today so I'll have to go back tomorrow. I keep trying to straighten them but nothing is working.

Rie, I lose from my face and neck first thing. I would be considered "stout" from the neck down but thank you for saying I look tiny.

I had a very good eating and exercise day.

Quote:
Breakfast: 1 egg + 1 egg white scrambled with pan spray, green onion, green peppers & tomatoes sauteed with the eggs, 2 slices ww toast, 1 tablespoon light cheese whiz, 1 large tangelo.

Dinner: large bowl green pea soup, small tomato sandwich on ww bread with a scrape of miracle whip, 1/4 cup apple juice

Supper: oven fries, 2 veggie meatballs, ff gravy

Exercise: 10.68 km on exercise bike, 39 minutes

Last edited by retiredone; 01-22-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #442  

Height: 5'3"

Happy Sunday, everyone! It's a quiet day here. Since church we've been staying home. Dh got mixed up and thought the Super Bowl was today so he did run out for chips, dips and soda! Then realized it's not the day. So didn't open anything and the sour creams dated way out there so should be ok. If he opened it today, it would be hard for me to say no so glad he's willing to wait.
Lunch was hamburgers but they didn't taste very good and I only ate about 1/2, maybe 3/4 of the bun though (had onion and lettuce on it) and I had 9 baby carrots with it. I was still hungry so I had a mocha afterwards. Not the best choice but at least I got more protein in the milk.

Retiredone - Are those organic bananas? Very expensive to me. I usually get ours for about .54-59 cents a lb. Occasionally less. I don't buy organic though.

Freda - You ask where I enter sweeps...I enter anywhere I find them...there are so many sites..but I esp like sweepstakesadvantage.com. This is like portal that lists many sweeps. You just read about the sweep, make sure you're elgible, click on the link and enter. Very easy. I do only simple entry sweeps. I do enter many blog sweeps which require a bit more work. If I worked I'd never have time for sweeping but it's a fun hobby. I mostly win small things but it's just fun to win, and the small wins is what keeps us sweepers at it. BTW, I use a form filler (Roboform is the best) so I don't type all my info. ETA: Just realized you specifically asked about my books wins..I usually find them at the above mentioned site or another sweep site but many of them come from bestreads.com.

Glynne - I love music! Funny I'm not much for listening to CDs or the radio but I love to sing and often wake up with a song in my head.

Last edited by maryea; 01-22-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #443  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Hi all. I made it to the gym today. I'm about one pound away from my pre vacation weight. So effortless to put on (and fun, unfortunately!) so hard to take off.
Bobbi - I love your quilts. I have been saving a lot of my sons' and my jeans in the hopes of making them into a quilt someday. I saw a beautiful denim quilt on a decorating show - it was gorgeous but not as pretty as yours. The designer on the show wanted to hang it on the wall and build room decor around it. The owners said their grandma that made it made them promise to USE it. They compromised. Added hooks so they could take it down and put it up. I'll have to work my way up to working with denim. Your rhubarb and pineapple sauce sounds very good.
Rie - so great about your DS and DIL. Maybe after grad school they will move closer to you.
Mary - good to know I'm not alone..I'm trying to not keep goodies in the house. I so admire those that can - and just eat a sliver. Maybe someday..
Lynn- Skidding - scary. Glad you were okay.
Freda - Well, I'm trying to get to the gym 5 times a week. Thanks for asking.
Gayle - glad scale was good to you - great job! And I liked your idea about bringing the portable chair.
Jinx - I need support to work out too. My DH often goes with me. We tell each other "good job." DH is very athletic - He is 63 and is still a pretty good ice hockey goalie (once or twice a week) and golf - short season in IL! So he works out at gym when I do. For the first time in his life he has found that he has to REALLY cut the calories no matter how much he works out. I said, "Welcome to my world!"
Isabella- My husband never buys clothes. Between his birthday in May, Father's Day and Christmas I manage to keep him covered. When my boys were younger like 11 and 14 and I was working I was so busy that I decided to take them to the Gap. I got them both jeans and shirts and they both need winter coats. I went to Sears and got them underwear and socks. Done in one evening. DH didn't like the amount I spent. I told him I no longer had the time to go to different stores to find the best prices for every item for two growing boys. Plus they had their whole wardrobe for the year but he was welcome to take them next year. He never mentioned it again. He hates to shop.
Hope every one had a good week end.

Last edited by deelee10; 01-22-2012 at 08:25 PM. Reason: adding
Old 01-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #444  

Happy sunday everyone.its warmed up and we had more snow during the nite. ive spent the day being very lazy. reading and playing texas hoold em poker in pogo. hope your day is peaceful too ((hugs))) rosey ps love your quilt Bobbie and wtg on the 3# glynne awsome.

Breakfast
coffee

lunch
1/2 cup tomatoe soup
4 trisquits
1 slice cheese
1/2 apple

snack coffee mocha

dinner
1/2 chix breast
1/2 sweet potatoe
brocollii

Last edited by akrosey49; 01-22-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #445  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Mary, the bananas are not organic and if they were they'd be well over a dollar a pound. Newfoundland is an island and shipping charges are quite high. I imagine the bananas sold out quickly because they were so cheap. I'm always on the lookout for marked down bananas. They're usually half price and fortunately I like ripe bananas.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #446  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Donna, my parents said that their church has the church ladies that have a calling chain to make a snack for post service gathering. I’m glad that the one my FIL had isn’t totally the norm. I think it would be darn expensive to pay per head at Country Buffet. Funerals themselves are too expensive without adding that.

Rie, your time with the boys sledding sounded like a blast. I love the newness of having snow (we finally got about 4” of pure fluff). Usually we have this playfulness in November or December. Right now, all four of my snow huskies are laying outside in the fluff with the happy doggie faces. And your scale/body will budge. Never, ever give up.

Rosey, soy is in everything. It and peanut (closely related legumes) are in so many foods, you honestly have to read every label. I had an allergic reaction last week after having ice cream. Now, if I’d had my DH’s butterfinger ice cream, I’d have deserved it. But I had Girl Scout Samoa ice cream. No peanuts or soy in the ingredient list. But there was a **May contain peanuts or tree nuts. I think manufacturers should have to not allow cross contamination in their plants. That was frustrating. It’s also why I make everything, including my pasta homemade. I don’t trust most pre-made foods. It’s too dangerous. So… just read all those labels.

After my allergic reaction, DH was going to the allergist for his shots. I asked him to ask if the standard was still having to go to the ER if you use the epipen. He (meaning I) was told no, now you call 911 stat. I’m pretty sure I’ll never want to use mine. Immediate doses of Benadryl stopped the throat from constricting too far. Scary that I had to have the epipen within reach though. Now I have to have the phone nearby as well.

Gayle, glad you’re feeling better. Yay for 3 pounds gone.

Freda, I must be a very good neighbor. I have high fences to keep my doggies contained.

KarenFL, I hope your possible Colorado guests let you know their plans.

Bobbi, “First of all, I'm not a quilter but…” Sorry to tell you darling – but you are a quilter. The quilt looks great. Innovative and fun. And all my doggies love hip rubs (and yes, in the bathroom while I’m peeing). Except Blizzie who has hip dysplasia. She doesn’t like her hips or legs touched. But rub her head and back and she nearly purrs.

Lyn, that sounds like a nice relaxing time to quilt with a bunch of ladies. Too bad we can’t do a GG quilt and chat live.

Lynn, glad your car skid was without any other vehicles around. I’m glad you were able to get back to the gym.

Chickadee, I hope your thumb heals enough to join a quilting group.

Isabella, like Rie, I looked at your new picture and was amazed how skinny you looked and then I too looked at your stats. Just never let anyone take pics from the neck down because you do look tiny.

Mary, when I buy bananas, I only buy organic (I don’t buy organic anything else unless I have no choice). But bananas, they don’t spray the chemical on the peel to make them yellow even though the banana still isn’t ripe. I can have organic bananas for a week to 10 days but regular bananas go bad in 2-3 days. A grocer friend once told me about the spray that they put on bananas to get that pretty yellow.

Oh yes, DeeLee, my DH now has to watch calories to be slender. I have said to him often welcome to my world. Middle age caught him and sadly, I have perverse pleasure in that.

Time to make last night’s lasagna. Since the service meal was filling, we decided to make lasagna tonight instead. I make it pretty lo-cal because I don’t like meat. DH would love meat in it but too bad for him, I did the grocery shopping. I guess this is the end of weekend and that is sad. But it starts up again in another 5 days.
Marie
Old 01-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #447  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello-- had a nice day today. We enjoyed having lunch at denny's with the family this afternoon. I hadn't eaten there in forever. I'm sure I ate too much since I had a Western Omelette but then I haven't been hungry since then.

Then we went and took back the Ninja and I picked up a Magic Bullet. I took it out and have read the book that came with it so will try that tomorrow. It looks like something that is more "user friendly" though. PLUS will be easy to take in the rv with us. I didn't realize that you could do so much with that little machine!!! Those recipes for margaritas and frozen daquiris will be great out by the pool this summer!! I think i want to try to make a smoothie without the slimfast and see if I can something tasting pretty good. Right now I have frozen strawberries, blueberries and also bananas. I should be able to make some sort of concoction that will be good. Don't have to use everything at once!! LOL!!!

Bobbi that quilt is amazing!! It looks like you have put a lot of work into it but also looks like every stitch has lots of love in it!! Just beautiful.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:07 PM   #448  

Hi Karen31 i use that machine for smoothies all the time,i use ice, water,sf vanilla coffee mate,diet hot choc,i pkg splenda,and 1 T instant coffee. i also use the sf coffee mate,yogurt and frozen or fresh fruit. yummy hope you like it, rosey
Old 01-23-2012, 01:23 AM   #449  

S/C/G: 99.1/96.9/75 Kgs

Height: 165cm

Hi Golden Girls,

My name is Jenye and I live in Australia. I have 3 children - my daughter is 51, my son is 47 and my youngest son is 40 this year.

I used to belong to 3FC many years ago and lost weight, but find that as I get older I have put it all on again - oh, I am 70 years young.

I have forgotten how to get avatars, tickers etc and could use some help please.

This seems to be a very level headed group and that is just what I need at the moment as I have no motivation at all - as for healthy eating????

Please can I join your group?

Cheers Jenye (Ashenpond)

Last edited by Ashenpond; 01-23-2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:19 AM   #450  

S/C/G: 99.1/96.9/75 Kgs

Height: 165cm

Found the avatars - now for the "ticker". Where are they girls, I can't find them.

Jenye
Closed Thread