Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #421  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen3 View Post
Hey...just a thought if Rosey's DH was allergic to moose meat he'd a been a mess when they were butchering that moose! k3

ps just made the most awesome chocolate cake. So moist sooo good low fat low cal. Bought a Pillsbury SF devilsfood cake mix. Use 1 cup of FF yogert, 1 cup of water instead of oil and eggs. Used a bunt pan and baked at 350 for an hour. k3
That sounds great Karen. I'm entering my "bewitching hourS" - I picture it with a light dusting of powdered sugar...of course, I would eat at least half the cake and finish the rest for breakfast tomorrow

Last edited by deelee10; 01-21-2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #422  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Okay. I actually went to the gym, whew.
Hi ChickHen and welcome. I'm kinda of new too. My sons are 3 years apart too. They are 23 and 26 and both have their dream jobs (one just moved 900 miles away for his. I had a little trouble with that.) You do have your hands full. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #423  

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone!! Welcome to Chickhen and Deelee...this is a great group..and the more the merrier!! We went shopping today but all I bought was a bunch of trouser socks. Since during the winter I wear mostly pants to church (and an occasional long skirt) I like having the socks. I had a $10 Kohls Cash plus a 30% off coupon so only paid $4.50 for them. Then we went to Home Depot for sealer for the new bathroom floor. Then onto Costco for gas and of course had to go inside for my mocha mix plus shared lunch there. Costco is a bit dangerous for me (diet-wise) but it's not a daily thing at least.

I won another book today!! It's funny...I'm usually up late and a little bit after midnight I get these email notices that I've won...they always come at that time it seems. Today I won one I really wanted, Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: A Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars. I don't think I've read it at least...I have another that is similar so not for sure. If I have it already, I know I can sell it. It's the 4th book I've won this month! One of the books came today.

Deelee - You sound like me about the cake!! And I'm diabetic!

Isabella - Dessert day? Once a week? Good idea! I tend to grab something sweet every day I can. I count the calories and carbs but once a week would be better for me. I've had the Cuisinart for several months so figured it was too late to return, but guess I could try. It has leaked the black stuff ever since I got it and had that burning smell too. It grinds up the ice really well and many do not. What I'd really like to have (I think) is the Vitamix that some of you have described. I've watched them at Costco and it looks good but it is very expensive. How long have you had yours? I'm assuming they last a long time. Ummm, baked bread, another food that is not safe around me! Enjoy it for me please..

Chickhen - Enjoy the party!

Donna - My computer is on 24/7. I turn it off a few times a week briefly and I usually turn it completely off overnight once a week. Seems to keep it working better. I use all the precautions mentioned in the posted article and so far haven't had any problems. The only problem I've had is the color of the monitor goes in and out (mostly out). That started after three or four months. I should have returned it right away but as with the blender, I didn't and now it's been over a year. I didn't call until it had been a year I think...I know, stupid!...and they have tried to fix it twice without success. I can reset the colors on the monitor but it won't retain it. Oh and besides the mentioned software to catch viruses etc, I also have a software that corrects errors it finds.

Ok, need to get to other things...hope you are all having a good evening.

Last edited by maryea; 01-21-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #424  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi all, the funeral was nice. OK, I know they shouldn't be nice but it was. It was a pleasant service and they had a meal afterward. Everyone in the family brought food, pot luck style. When my FIL passed away, my MIL was pretty much planning a wedding reception style meal, just on short notice. I kept questioning what happened to traditional pot luck meals after the service. Everyone said that isn't the way anymore. My MIL had to guess how many people would attend and then pay per head. How would anyone know how many people would attend a funeral???? So this was what I've always thought should be an after funeral gathering. AKA nice. No one ever better do a wedding reception style meal after I croak. That would piss me off. It was expensive and this was comforting. People working together. enough about that except Donna, I didn't know granny, just my DIL and her parents. She sounded nice and wow she was pretty in her younger years.

Turn off the computer Donna. Doesn't hurt it and if it isn't on, it is safe. Whether a browser is open does not matter.

Welcome Chickhen, you have found a great group of women. Last May I was warmly welcomed and just love it here.

Lucinda, I love your equation Lazy Pitbull Owners = dangerous dogs. In lots of ways, that is true of many breeds. If you're not going to train and love your dogs, why would adopt them? It's not like they're cheap. My four pups are huskies and they are known as a difficult breed just because they are hyper and can leap over tall buildings to escape so they can run. They love to run. They are a very non-aggressive breed. It truly takes work to make them mean but I know that people think they're mean because of their wolf like face mask. OK, yep I got off topic to chat about my favorite dogs. Regardless, I loved what you wrote.

HI!!!! to everyone. I've read all the posts and have loads to say but am tired. So I'll do the blanket Hi and Hugs to everyone!
Marie
Old 01-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #425  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Pretty lazy day today... did some laundry, some (little!) domestic drudgery. It got up into the 60s today... hard to believe it's January. It'll be WhiteStuffing later on in the week, though.

Thanks, Marie! I feel better turning the computer off... and I really hate having to fret about evil-doers! It was good of you to go to the funeral and to support your DIL... when my, oh, how to describe this?..., cousin's live-in's mother died, they set up a room at the Country Buffet and paid per head for those who attended. They had little tickets made up and gave them to those invited to the lunch. I thought that was kind of a good idea. Don't they have church ladies anymore who do the funeral lunches? Hmmm, that's too bad!

Sounds like you're all being industrious and dedicated... and we have lots of newbies. Welcome, one and all...

Everyone, have a good rest of the evening !
Old 01-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #426  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hello goldens!

I had a lovely day today. I worked out hard this morning for an hour and I ate well (meaning on plan) all day. I even found a way to eat one of my mom's small cabbage rolls for my lunch. Bless her, she made one that had really thin bread. It was yummy. Then, sledding this afternoon with my ds, a couple of his buddies, their kids, and my dgs. What a pleasure to watch these young men being fathers We pulled the kids on sleds behind a big 4 wheeler at my parent's farm. It was 38 degrees with no wind. Perfect sledding weather.

Karenmo, the absolute best roasted veggie, IMHO, is roasted cauliflower. It isn't my favorite veggie but I could eat a plateful when roasted. My favorite roasting method is simple. Toss in a bowl with a tiny amount of olive oil (or use a sprayer). Place in a single layer on sheet or pan in 400 degree oven until browned. It is so nutty and sweet. Others that I like are broccoli, cubed squash, zucchini sliced lenthwise, peppers, and small yellow squash. Sometimes we use flavored oil, too. Just experiment....

DeeLee. My sons are almost 3 years apart, too. My youngest is 1100 miles away and it kills me! He and his wife are finishing grad school.

Lucinda, I look forward to your fancy posts! I probably annoy all the goldens with my love of smilies.. Let us both hope that the scale rewards good behavior. I am in the middle of a long stall and I have been really good. I measure everything and over-estimate calories and I am still stuck. Oh well, keep the faith....

Isabella, I LOVE your new picture. You look so good and so thin! I looked at your stats and I was amazed at how tiny you look! I look like a stout girl compared to you.

Bobbi, that is probably the best description of the GG's conversation yet. I loved it. What kind of quilt are you working on?

Chickadee, thanks for posting the picture of the sewing machine. It brought back fond memories of my grandma.

Lyn, a 3 week vacation sounds wonderful. And, New Orleans? One of my bucket list places.....

Zoe, cucumber chips are the bomb. With humus, dips, anything. It is my favorite snack item. I hope your PB2 gets there soon. I eat a serving every morning. I slice and core an apple, dip the slices in pb2 and enjoy. It is wonderful. And I have missed Pat Conroy's most recent. I will look for it.

Karenfl, that cake sounds wonderful. I need to try that recipe.

Lynn, how are you? I am concerned about you. After last week, I think heading for home was a good decision. I hope you start to feel more rested. I hope you got everything changed on your accounts.

Marie, I hope that you were at the funeral to support your dil. I have missed you today. I kept thinking of your dogs when I was reading about how much the dog in the book loved his human. I pictured you when you were hurting and your dog friends comforted you.

Donna, thanks for asking that question about the computers. I think, if I understand Marie, is that it is just very important to keep them updated.

Mary, I hope that things are going well for you. You have been a little quiet lately. Busy with your sweepstakes?

Well, hopefully I caught up with everyone tonight. Have a great evening!

Rie

Old 01-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #427  

Hi everyone welcome new "GG" you will love it here. its warmed to above zero today and its nice not to be so bundeled up. trying to cook for my dh now is a quandry of what do i have on hand that he can have and reading labels. as alot of us we are cash poor a few days befor payday. being retired and living on a fixed income is the pitts at times esp with all the new dr bills. ugh however we are better than some so count my blessings. i questioned some of the dh new restictions but he explained that they questioned him for over an hr about what he likes to eat and other food info so then they know what to test for allergys. im finding there is wheat and garlic and soy in lots of foods,and not being able to have moose and white potatoes means i need to get creative. im researching ides on the puter befor i go shopping on wed.one of our good friends who lost his wife a yr ago is having open heart surg monday,please include my friend Ken in your prayers he such a nice guy. thanks for this. Bobbie whats your quilt like? im still working on mine and now our family will have 2 new babies this yr so grma gale blankies need to be made hoping your all ahving a super weekend (((hugs)) rosey

Breakfast
coffee

lunch
1/2 chix breast
green grapes

snack
coffee mocha
10 pretzels (and yes i counted them )

dinner
1/2 cup ground turkey(celery and onion) with gravy over1/2 c rice
green salad
Old 01-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #428  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG’s,

One day down ~ two to go then off for 6 days ~ yippee. On my days off I am hoping to make a dent (well more than that) in my sewing room and get it usable instead of the danger zone it has become ~ LOL.

K3 and Rie ~ the cyber hugs helped to chase those blues away. And thank you to everyone for the good thoughts ~ feeling in a better frame of mind again.

The topic of my little daily bread reading for today was ~ Thank God for music. I thought that was neat, because when I woke up, a song was running through my head that we had sung at church camp as kids. It was so neat ~ in the dining hall after the meals there was a singing time and I was remembering how I loved it when we sang some of those songs that were rounds. I loved hearing all those voices and the harmony. Good memories.

Sunday is my weigh in day ~ yippee ~ the scale was good to me today. Down 3 pounds. I keep remembering what Rie said about progress not perfection. I wasn’t perfect, but did the right thing more of the time I guess than the wrong things. And maybe the walking ~ even though it is not very much or very vigorous ~ is helping more than I realized.

Isabella ~ I too ~ loved your description of the Vitamix thing. If it can do all those things ~ do you think it could do my exercise for me ~ LOL.

Ok, I’d better get off here and head out ~ don’t want to miss my walk. Hope you all have a wonderful day.

Take care my Golden sisters
Old 01-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #429  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning GG's

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood. If you like snow. We finally got a little of the white stuff. Not too much, but the roads were a little slick. We were out several times with no problem, but did see some cars sliding, which always scares me a little. Some people just drive so crazy. Went out looking for a vaporizer for DH. He is not feeling well, just a head cold I think, but you know men when they get sick. Later in the evening we went to see the Grands play indoor soccer. Home the rest of the night. Eating is on tract and exercise is good.

Karen, I'm glad your doggie wasn't harmed. Dogs are usually true to the way they are raised. My son had a rotweiler that was the biggest baby ever. Are pitbulls bred to be mean or trained to be? I know my son and DIL made sure that they got a dog with good breeding. And good fences make good neighbors. If you're going to have dogs like that you need big, high fences. Apparentally your neighbors haven't heard that.

DeeLee, It's hard to let kids go to follow their dreams. We miss them but have to let them go. Doesn't make it any easier. Good for you for going to the gym! How many days a week are you going?

Mary, how were you wining those books again? I know you said before, but I went on that site and couldn't figure out what to do.

Marie, I agree that huskies are just the sweetest dogs. Son and DIL found one and added it to the pack they already had. She was the sweetest natured dog.

Donna, Some Churches still do luncheons for the funeral. My BIL didn't have a funeral, just a memorial service and the Church ladies made soup and sandwitches and desserts. Just perfect for a cold day.

Rie, I love roasted vegetables too. It brings out the sweatness in everything. I would have to say that cauliflower is my favorite too. But I roast everything. Frozen works great too, but I don't know anything that you can't roast. be careful with onions, put them in last or they burn.

Rosie, cooking might have to change a lot to meet DH's limitations. What are you going to do with all that moose meat?

Welcome to all the new people. Look forward to talking to all of you.

Gayle, we were posting at the same time. YUPPEE for the 3 lb's. You are doing something right. And exercising does make such a difference.

Freda

Last edited by the slim me; 01-22-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #430  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good Morning! Getting ready for church then going to meet the family for lunch at Dennys. It is a pretty nice day here-- 50 degrees but the wind is sblowing and that makes it seem pretty cold. Still no snow BUT I'm not complaining.. I know the farmers all need it but I sure don't miss it.

Gayle, Congrats on the 3 lbs. lost. It makes you feel good when the scales are nice to you. I only had a 1 pound loss this week but I will take it. Need to work harder...

Thanks for the tips on roasting veggies. I will try them out this week. I bought a lot for using with the juicer and the Ninja so I will need to cook them up.

Better get going here or I'll be late. Have a good Sunday everyone!
Old 01-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #431  

Karen, I forgot..... Beets are wonderful roasted! I thought you might have purchased them for juicing. Be back later.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #432  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Oooh, Rie, roasted beets! YUM, YUM, YUM............

Everyone sounds calm and serene today. And that's a good thing! Have a lovely Sunday. I'm hopefully lunching with my friend who's being long lost since she went back to work (nights)....
Old 01-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #433  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning all and welcome to all the newbees just jump in, best to have a cuppa because we get chatty here and you need something to sip. Blew Dh's mind with that cake.

I roast everything that lays around my kitchen....let's see...beets onions all sqash, brocolli, caulflower, scallions, turnips, mushrooms esp portabellas. peppers, celery root, raddishes (taste like wee turnips), roma tomatoes stuffed with cheese, chickpeas, anything not leafy....Use just olive oil plus sprinkle on lemon pepper with splash of lemon juice.....oh and pineapple, sliced baked potato, sweet potatoes pumpkin,....Threw a handful of shrimp cooked in same spices and serve company many atime....sooooo yummy!!!!!! Another easy is take a turkey sausage skin it and tuck into cleaned out portable mushroom bake for 45 minutes at 350....OMG good! Gonna try that fake seafood salad sometime they say that is fine.....let you know.

Rosey...your DH and Dash are on the same diet. Dash can't tolerate soy or chicken. It was surprising to me how much food has soy added. You have to read the labels. He can tolerate turkey but chicken makes him itch so bad he rips the fur off himself. He is not allergic to cat dander, but is allergic to human dander(good thing Dh is bald).

Gayle...when growing up my brother and I spent summers with my Aunt Lil. She had a cottage in the mountains with no electric or running water. The ice man came every week with blocks of ice for the oak chest. we cooked on a kerosene stove. Every Sunday morning we went up the hill to Rev Hills Sunday school class. sit out under the trees singing songs. The one that flew thru my head reading your note went like this.....I'm H.A.P.P.Y I feel like I can fly Far away in heaven across the surry skys My name is in the book You'll find it you look.I'm going to heaven by and by. All acompanied with broad hand gesture . Years later I found out the Rev Hill wasn't really a rev. But 70 years later I'm still singing! (ps I can't carry a tune)

Rie...OMG that cake is way beyond good. Company fare for sure.

Our old friends from Colorado are somewhere in Fl. Left a facebook note they were on their way 10 days ago. Sure would be nice to know when they plan on arriving. Hard to shop/plan week's meals. sighhhhhh

Time to go grocery shopping been 10 days and pantry is empty...hugs to all k3

Last edited by Karen3; 01-22-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #434  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning,
I'm don't usually post Sunday's because it's "Sunday go to meetin' day". But many services and functions are canceled, icy road everywhere and our driveway has drifted in. So it's going to be dullsville same-o same-o day. I'm out of my lunch soups so will put some kind of low calories veggie soup together. Yesterday I worked some more on my quilt, some of you asking what kind. First of all, I'm not a quilter but had lots of old jeans that needed tossing. I was brought up having a guilt trip about wasting stuff, everything had to be eaten on my plate because the children across the ocean were starving and would be thankful for that food. Or, your father worked hard for that food, don't waste it. Same goes for everything else in our lives as kids so naturally I couldn't see throwing away jeans that we'd never wear again. Light bulb moment, make a quilt out of them. Below you'll see 5 pictures. First picture is the only panel I made with two pockets on it, this will not be part of the quilt. I used DH's paint spattered pants, pockets and all for a small quilt for him to use on cool nights watching TV. I won't finish this one until I finished the big quilt.
The other panels I used the pockets, but cut them in triangles, used the non-faded parts under the pockets with some faded fabric on them, these made for the most interesting patches. I didn't use any parts of the jeans that were stained, paint spatters for the large quilt and I varies the different colors of the jeans. My daughter added to my jean piles and I also went up to a place that sells used clothes. They always have a clearance rack with jeans on them for $10.00 each. I purchase about 6 pairs, larges I could find. I found one huge pair of mens jeans with the tags still on them, I could have wrapped them around me twice. I haven't put them together yet, still working on more panels. The 2nd picture is all I've made so far, the dark one in the corner is DH's panel. The fours picture is a close up of a pocket I took apart. The 5th is parts of the faded/non faded material under the pocket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1186 (640x480).jpg (42.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1187 (640x480).jpg (35.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1185 (640x480).jpg (34.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1188 (640x480).jpg (52.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1189 (640x480).jpg (40.6 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Bobbolink; 01-22-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #435  

Oh Bobbi that quilt is wonderful!

It reminds me of the last quilt my grandmother made. As a young bride, she and her sister fed a traveling suit salesman. He gave them each a box of fancy woolen suit fabric samples. Almost 70 years later, she found them in her quilting supplies in her basement. During the last couple months of her life she created a beautiful quilt. It is grays, blues and blacks. She was finishing the hand sewn binding the afternoon that she passed. We found her sitting there with the needle still in her hand and about 3 inches of the binding left to sew.

The needle is still on that thread. My aunt keeps the quilt and on holidays we place the quilt on a chair for her, needle waiting. I wish I had a picture to share with you. Knowing her, she probably stops in to lecture us because we aren't using the quilt. She always thought that "saving" them was silly.

Anyway, thanks for the nice memory today. Bless you and all of us that were taught to "waste not, want not". And, bless those who can turn something already used into something new and beautiful.

Rie
Closed Thread