Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #391  

Happy Friday everyone

Karen3, so sorry to hear of poor Dash and your DH getting attacked, good for your calling the police. Imagine if that would have been a small child. Dog owners have to be responsible or they should not have dogs period. Just glad everyone is ok.

Karen31 I hope you find the right gadget, I know when we were looking I told my DH, we are not making shakes!!!! And we are not making fruit drinks!!!!! (Because in his mind I knew he was thinking ice cream in there somewhere). We wanted a machine that would do veggies, for juice, and we are happy with it. It is good that everyone here can give you ideas, it beats testing them all out.

Rie, sorry about your ice experience, no fun at all. We live in the country so I always call our roads the frozen tundra in the winter, they get packed with 2-3 inches of solid ice that never gets cleared. And you asked about the movement in my thumb, I would say it is worse than before they did the surgery. (and I am upset about that, I almost think I should have left it be, but then the growth would have kept growing) I see the doc Tuesday will see what he has to say.

Carol Sue, still thinking of you, hope they figure this out so you can just get on with life. Amen.

Bobbi I make a red cabbage dish, that is to die for. I am thinking it is the same one.

Marie I had to laugh about your 4 dogs and the snow, I can relate, if you don’t keep up with cleaning the yard, you find all kinds of gold mines in the spring!!

Zoe, retirement what a nice thing to look for ward to. Hope they still have that when my time comes around!

Hi to everyone else. Need to take the dogs out for a little walk. Even though it is only 5 degrees and snowing out.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #392  

Hi everyone. its warmed up some kfl so sry about poor dash ((hugs)) and pats for poor dash. caddyk i have a magic bullet and love it. ive made my mochas,salad dressings,and humas in it. it cleans up great and u can get replacement parts for it at amazon and e-bay. im on my 2nd unit and gave one to my kids for xmas as my grkids loved mine. we finally got an answer about the allergy tests for my dh. boy was i surprized,the main things hes allergic to are garlic,wheat,soy,white potatoes, and moose meat,pork,lunch meats etc. thats pretty much his favorite foods esp moose and tators and beer at least i can now learn to cook for him! reading labels is going to be a priority for us now. nothing else going on it feels like a "gorking" sort of day.happy weekend every one. rosey

breakfast
coffee,atkins protein bar

lunch
egg salad.4 triquit crackers
1/2 cup grapes

snack
cofee mocha
terreaki stick
slice c. cheese

dinner
chix
green salad
Old 01-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #393  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

I'm caught up with reading all the posts and thinking of purchasing a magic bullet after all your praise. KarenMo...did you look into it and where is the best deal? Probably Amazon, that's where I buy most electrical appliances. My DH is going to say, you already have 2 large food processors, one small food processor and a blender....what do you need this for? Well I'll tell you since you wash more dishes than I do, it's easy to clean! Right girls?
Rosey...I just read the list of no-no foods to my DH the hunter, he said, "Oh no, not moose meat". Bummer.
Chick I'll post the recipe, is it the same as yours?
Quote:
Bobbi I make a red cabbage dish, that is to die for. I am thinking it is the same one.
You can make your own changes to suit your taste. As you can see, it's from my favorite recipe site. I signed up for daily emails on all the new recipes that come in, it's free. I used stevia for the white sugar, used only 2 Tablespoon brown sugar and one slice bacon. Those of you that don't eat pork can use turkey bacon. OH, and I love the smell of cloves but not in my food so I omitted them.
Quote:
Sweet-Sour Red Cabbage

Rated:Prep Time: 15 MinutesReady In: 55 MinutesSubmitted By: Cathy ElandsCook Time: 40 MinutesServings: 8
"This crunchy eye-catching cooked cabbage is seasoned with a flavorful blend of vinegar, spices and bacon. Even when my mom fixes a big batch, the bowl gets emptied quickly. --Cathy Eland Hightstown, New Jersey"
INGREDIENTS:</div>1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 medium head red cabbage, shredded
2 bacon strips, diced
1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or
additional cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
DIRECTIONS:</div>1.In a large bowl, stir the cider vinegar and sugars until sugars are dissolved. Add cabbage; toss to coat. Let stand for 5-10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon, reserving drippings.2.In the drippings, saute apple and onion until tender. Add water and cabbage mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle with reserved bacon just before serving.ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2012 Allrecipes.comPrinted from Allrecipes.com 1/20/2012
Old 01-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #394  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

I decided to get the Ninja to try out first. I went and got one this afternoon but except for unpacking the box I haven't done anything with it. I had a crock pot full of baked beans cooking since about 10:00pm last night so figure my first try will be in the morning. I wanted something that I can do veggies with too (I think) so thought that this would be my first try. I did only unpack the 72 ounce pitcher (it comes with a 40 ounce too) and figure I can give that a try and if i like it fine, if not, I don't have so much to put back in the box. If I find I just don't like the taste of doing the veggies then I already have a blender (Oster) that is an older one but works good on frozen fruit. Will then get the Magic Bullet just to have that handy one serving type deal being easy to clean.

Bobbi, Walmart had Magic Bullets for $49 and I also went to the MagicBullet site and you can get two sets for $99 there.. But I checked and BedBath and Beyond also has them for $49 so guess that is probably pretty much the going price.

I did find a pretty neat website for smoothies... http://www.smoothieweb.com/category/...ble-smoothies/ May try a few of those over the weekend.

OK got to go and finish making the bed...did the sheets today and then took off before they were done.
Have a good night
Old 01-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #395  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Just a quick run through.

Karen3, so glad everyone is safe from the dog attack. I got really tense when I was reading, afraid something awful had happened.

Here's my eats and exercise. A very bad day nutritionally speaking.

Quote:
Breakfast: Copious amounts of icing licked off fingers, bowls and spoons.

Dinner: Green pea soup, 1/2 grilled cheese and tomato sandwich on ww bread, 1 tangello

Supper: 3 homemade dinner rolls with margarine (hot from the oven)

Exercise: 10.72 on exercise bike, 37 minutes
Old 01-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #396  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello Goldens

I thought I would post back here tonight because I have a fairly busy day planned tomorrow. I am sitting here watching a Dog the Bounty Hunter marathon, cruising around on the computer and snuggling down in a blanket. When I finish this post, I will return to the wonderful book I am reading. My ds is downstairs with his own movie marathon and dgs is at my parents for the night.

Tomorrow I am going to work out in the morning and then do my old self-care routine to skin and hair. I need it desperately and I will spare you the details! In the afternoon, ds, a couple of his friends with little ones and I are going to go out to the field at my folks and pull sleds behind the 4-wheeler. It should be fun.

Isabella, I can almost taste those dinner rolls. I have faith in you and I know that you will have a better day tomorrow. I’m sure that you burned off plenty of calories on that bike!

Karen, I know that you will like the magic bullet for drinks. It is so convenient. I just rinse off the blades, put it away, and drink out of the mug that I mixed in. Let us know how the ninja works.

Bobbi, you sure post a lot of good recipes – especially for cabbage. My mom sent home some “krout pies”. AKA cabbage rolls. Homeade bread stuffed with a mixture of cabbage and hamburger, then baked. I am going to splurge on one for lunch tomorrow. I can’t resist. It seems that you like a lot of sweet/sour type tastes. Me too.

Rosey, Poor Steve? I was just wondering…. Do they actually test for moose meat? Or is there some substance in it that is bothering him? I hope things get better. Sometimes I look at your ticker and I am just amazed. It is inspiring.

Chickadee, sorry about your thumb. I hope it still gets better. Another storm headed your way….

Donna, my son has been talking to me about a free program that randomizes passwords. He said even my dad has been using it. I have spent a long day changing accounts. I hope your achy bones are better.

Marie, I love it: “one of my 3 fav meals”! Aint it the truth. My mom called me today to “make sure” that I couldn’t come over and eat fry bread with them! She means well but I have been smelling yeasty goodness all afternoon. I wish all dog owners would be as responsible as you. As a livestock owner, I have been faced with the destruction of one animal or another on many days thanks to irresponsible dog owners.

Karenfl, I hope everyone is ok. How did your bridge game go? BTW, bear spray – is it available in fl? Will stop those dogs and won’t hurt them. Mace is too wimpy and hard to aim.

Gayle, I hope you enjoyed your day.

Zoe, I got a great chuckle over your story of your friend pulling you up the driveway! LOL if that was a car, we used to call that "hookey bobbing". Glad you weren't injured.

Hello to anyone I missed. Heading back to my book.

Rie
Old 01-20-2012, 10:21 PM   #397  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG’s,

It was a nice day. I didn’t get everything done I had hoped to do, but it isn’t going anywhere.

I did get the crock pot full of stuff done for Sara. For her birthday or mother’s day ~ I don’t remember now ~ I had given her a coupon for some crock pot meals, but hadn’t gotten around to making any for her yet. That is a gift I know would be appreciated ~ to come home from work and supper is all ready and you don’t have to cook.

DH and Maddie came over this afternoon, and we all went to the mall area. You can park at the library and then get on a trolly (bus like thing that looks like a trolly) and ride for free and it will take you to various places there. We went to the mall to the Barnes and Nobel book store. That was fun. Maddie spent time playing with the wooden Thomas the Tank Engine trains. Then we read some books. Maddie entertained the people there when we were leaving ~ she tossed her Zebra (stuffed toy) onto the escalator steps ~ I made DH go get him quick ~ was afraid he’d get his fur caught in the teeth of those steps. I have repaired Zebe lots of times, but feared if he tangled with those steps he might end up beyond repair. Then DH put Zebe on the rail and Zebe rode down that way and when he got to the bottom ~ a group of people were standing around and got a kick out of Zebe riding down and going plop on the floor when he reached the end. Then DH kept putting Zebe on the rail and Maddie would catch him as he fell off at the end.

It was a beautiful day ~ we waited outside for the trolly and head home.

When we go to these different places, there sometimes isn’t a place to sit. I can not tolerate standing for long periods of time. If it is a kids place, sometimes there are seats (like for little kids) ~ my poor knees can’t do those ~ too low down ~ and it hurts. I was feeling bad because I felt that I would have to miss out on stuff. I had seen these canes that have a little seat attached ~ and was looking at those ~ thinking this would solve my problem. I was all ready to order one, but read the reviews and some of the people told how they (even though it said they could hold up to 250#) had collapsed while they were sitting on them. I thought, I’d better look around some more and see if there is anything else I could get. Yippee ~ I’m glad I kept looking. I found a fold up chair on the LL Bean web site. About the same price as one of those canes, and a lot more sturdy looking and all the reviews that were written about them were good. So, I asked DH to order me one of those. I feel excited now ~ thinking that I won’t have to miss out.

It is almost time for bed. Back to work tomorrow.

Hope you all rest well.

Attached pics are of the Trolly and the LL Bean chair I found
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Woodlands Trolly.jpg (83.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Quick E Seat LL Bean.jpg (26.7 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by glynne; 01-20-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #398  

Finally got back to the gym today! Took it pretty easy though since I haven't worked out for so long. 20 min on the bike at 5 (no back pain!) and 15 on the treadmill at 3.2. Funny thing my dh always uses the manual setting and I usually use the weightloss one (of course!) and I've never changed the incline setting on any of the treadmills. Well, this one..my dh (right next to me) says why is your incline so high...and then I saw it was at 7! I put it back down to 2 or maybe it was 2.5. The incline hadn't started but I sure would have gotten a workout if I'd left it at 7! LOL ETA: I also did a couple sets on one weight machine but then stopped so I wouldn't overdo.We stopped for a couple items at the grocery store but otherwise we've been home all day...dh working again on the bathroom floor and me puttering around the house...really didn't do much. I've been entering a lot of sweeps and I have won eight prizes so far this month! That's the most I've won in ages! Sure shows the more you enter the more you win...except for the iPod (which I consider a "bigger" win), it's just small stuff but things I can use.

Karen31 - I love smoothies! I use my blender mostly for mochas and smoothies. I got a new blender this year at Costco...it is Cuisinart. I got it because the box said it chops up ice well and it does do a pretty good job at that. However, I've had a few problems with it..nothing I can't work around though. One is that after putting the lid in the top shelf of the dishwasher it is warped and doesn't fit well. I can only get about 1/2 of it to fit into the blender, but that works...nothing sloshes over. And recently every now and then instead of going through it's regular cycle it will cut lose and just run and run at a very high speed. It's the wierdest thing...not sure how long it would run, I always end up stopping it. Oh thought of a couple other quirks...it gets to smelling like burned rubber after a few seconds...and not just when acting wierd and it leaves drips of black liquid on the counter which I have to clean up each time. It was on sale and I'm wondering if it was because of these issues but despite all these things it does quite well with the mochas and smoothies. I THINK it was the Ninja I didn't like. Seemed very cheaply made to me, but I have heard nothing but good things about it online. But I ended up taking it back.

Rosey - Your poor dh...can't eat moose meat...after all the hunting he does, that does seem cruel..

Rie - Oh, I love fry bread...not sure I could have resisted, you are strong, girl!

Karen3 - What an awful experience! I'm glad you and your dh and your dog are ok!

You all have a wonderful evening and I hope everyone has a good rest tonight.

ETA: Just went to amazon to look at the Magic Bullet and that's the one I didn't like! I see you and others like it here so guess it was just me. Not sure how old this but found this page that rates some blenders: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/prod...ender-reviews/

Last edited by maryea; 01-20-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #399  

Karen31 - love the smoothie site! thanks for posting it. I'm going to have fun trying out some of these recipes!
Old 01-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #400  

Top of the morning ladies,

It is cold here guess I should be glad I get to stay in and do housework!!!! Yeah, right. Need to find something to throw in the crock pot and not worry about it all day. Other than that that is what my day looks like.

I now have my featherweight sewing machine made in 1950 (have to look up exact date), my DH will clean it up and get it working good as new for me. But the funny thing is we now have 6 of these little machines, you would have to know my DH, they all need work and some refinishing but he is good at this stuff and is a perfectionist about it. (he just finished a total off body restore on a 1968 GTO it took him 9 yrs, but he did all the work himself and it looks good(his parents would be proud it was his moms car originally) I just hope it doesn’t take him that long to do these!!! We will paint a few and try to flip them for a little profit – I think a purple one would be so elegant looking. Guess we can add another hobby to his list.

This is just a link to a picture of one of these little machines, just in case you were wondering what they look like. We did not pay this much, ours are fixer uppers. Hope the link works.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Featherweigh...item45ff85ac84

Rie I make perogi with is a light dough turnover with kraut, saug and bacon in it; you boil them then fry them. Boy you are making me want one. Yours sound good too. And thanks to you, I will probably look for that book, hope they have it in audio.

Bobbi, yep, same reciepe, except no cloves, and less sugar, but the apple sound real good in there, will have to try that.

Karen31 thanks for the link to that site, good luck with your choice of blenders. I have seen those on TV and it looks like it would be a good machine to have in the kitchen.

Isabella, boy I could have had one of those days last night, I got home and nothing went right from the time I entered the house, but I chilled and ate an apple and looked forward to dinner. But today will be better.

Rosey, so glad you are finding out what DH can eat and can’t. But I agree Moose Meat, how did they come up with that one. I have never had it, want to trade some WI venison for some Alaskan Moose!!! I have seen them on TV, they are like giants.

Gayle, that chair looks comfortable, but it would be easy to take along. I like the idea of meal coupons, I would love to come to a already cooked meal. Good idea.

Carol Sue thinking of you.

Hope everyone else is doing good, and all have a great day. Stay warm and safe.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #401  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Thank you everyone for the good thoughts. It's heart warming. We had our first significant snowfall overnight. 2-3 inches. Hopefully it will clear out by noon when I have to leave for the CT scan.

All those interested in the Magic Bullet. Kohls puts them on sale often for $39 and they also have a lot of % off coupons floating around, if you have the time to wait for the sale. I have a generic one on sale for $19.95. On the front it says "Cooks" and on the label it says Sensio Brands. I bought it about 6 months ago when my DIL started making protein shakes in her Magic Bullet. I was going to try them, but then I had the colostomy and never tried it. Once I heal I will try it out. I realize that it might not last as long as a Magic Bullet, being generic and so much cheaper, but I get things and then lose interest in them so often that I try to go the cheaper route. But watch the Kohls ads. They go on sale every few months.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #402  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Be back later for personals, just wanted to post yesterday's menu. Way too low in calories I know but I was busy quilting and time flies. (Plus I'm almost never hungry )
Isabella..I just have to laugh at your menu, licking your fingers, spoons and bowls is something I'd do. Then you ate the 3 hot rolls because you already blew it with the frosting. Something else I'd do. BTW, I loved the lentil soup but had to put some chicken in it for DH. He loves his chicken, wild game and fish and big portions too.

Quote:
Friday’s Keep me Accountable menu 734 calories + 46 grams fiber

Breakfast - Fiber One, Caramel yogurt , Flax & Chia seeds, 3oz. Chunky Cinnamon applesauce

Lunch- Butternut Apple soup

Snack - Sugar free Carob pudding with SF cool whip and topped with ½ serving dry Fiber One.

Supper -Chicken Lentil soup, amazed that one bowl (12 oz.) had only 186 calories and 17 grams of fiber Small lettuce salad with ff Italian dressing

Snack- Rhubarb Pineapple Jell-O with sf cool whip

Orange at bedtime, wanted the vitamin C since DH has a cold.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 01-21-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #403  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Hey...just a thought if Rosey's DH was allergic to moose meat he'd a been a mess when they were butchering that moose! k3

ps just made the most awesome chocolate cake. So moist sooo good low fat low cal. Bought a Pillsbury SF devilsfood cake mix. Use 1 cup of FF yogert, 1 cup of water instead of oil and eggs. Used a bunt pan and baked at 350 for an hour. k3

Last edited by Karen3; 01-21-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #404  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Marie, oh computer guru... quick question:
From Norton: "Am I creating a security risk when I leave my computer turned on and connected to the Internet 24/7?

A computer that is connected to the Internet is a computer that is vulnerable -- even if it is turned on and you are not using it. And as cybercriminals continue to invent new tactics to gain access to your computer and its data, your best defense is a strategy with multiple layers, so that one security feature supports another.

Be sure to have personal firewall, antivirus, and anti-spyware software installed and running. And supplement your security software with hardware protection such as DataBreaker, a device that automatically disables a broadband Internet connection to your PC or Mac while it is turned on, but not in use. This essentially creates a physical barrier that hackers can’t get past.

So, for your always-connected computer, take the necessary steps to minimize risks by combining security software and hardware solutions 24/7"

If I'm closed out of my browser but the computer is still turned on, am I safe? How about sleep mode? Thanks.....
Old 01-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #405  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good Morning! I just weighed in and was at 177.7. So I will keep my ticker where it is ( if it had been 177.5 I would have moved it to 177!) I had one of those nights last night and didn't get to sleep until 5:30 this morning! No real reason for it, just watched TV. Should have got up and cleaned house ----NAH!!!

I leave my computer on all the time too.. hmmm. Not sure of the answer on that. My laptop I shut down when I'm not using it but the desktop I leave on. Good question.

Well, I need to get busy and figure out what I'm going to get done today. Still have a house to clean. Going to see what kind of a smoothie I want to try and I'll let you know if I keep the Ninja or not!!

Be back later.
Closed Thread