Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #196  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

I was gonna try to do personals, but have run out of steam.

I had the day off and enjoyed it pretty much. Rode my bicycle this morning. It was kind of chilly. Glad I stuck a pair of gloves in my little tote bag. Dr visit went pretty good. My A1C was down a little bit from last time. I asked for help with my sciatic pain ~ she gave me some muscle relaxers, and some stretching exercises to do. It that doesn't help, next step is probably physical therapy. I tried to do the exercises tonight, but am not sure if I am doing them right.

Had dropped DH and Maddie off at the childrens museum. Picked them up on the way back. Went in and Maddie was showing me around a little bit. Had a situation that was funny, but could have taken a wrong turn and been not so funny. She wanted me to close my eyes as she led me around ~ I played along, but it is hard to keep your eyes closed when you feel uneasy not being able to see. I opened them just in the nick of time as she was about to lead me into a little house ~ she didn't need to duck down to enter, but I needed to, also needed to step up a little step. Thank goodness I opened my eyes just at that moment. I probably would have gone flat on my face.

Ok, guess I will head off to bed here before much longer. Back to work tomorrow.Three days then off the weekend. Yippee.

Hope you all rest well.

Take care
Old 01-11-2012, 03:11 AM   #197  

Monday

Breakfast
coffee 1 weight control instant oatmeal pk
lunch apple dipped im pbII
dinner
1 cup chix stew

Tuesday

Breakfast
coffee,yogurt with 1/4 cup kashi cereal
lunch 1/2 moose roast sandwich with lettuce and tomatoe
dinner
green salad,cubed turkey, fat free dressing, 1/4 cup chowmein noodles

snack coffee mocha small handful almonds and dried cranberries

Old 01-11-2012, 06:22 AM   #198  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

Welcome girlfriends it is Wednesday, or hump day as some say.
i hate the scale. no really I hate the scale. Mine won't budge. so i must resist the urge to measure my progress by that stingy contraption. no. it's not broken. sweet dh weighs his skinny tuchas every day.
I have not fallen off my wagon.
I am impressed by all of you who can remember each others details and then give kudos or commiseration to one another.
I have been eating so healthy and staying below 900 calories/day.
i am a vegan so the mainstay of my diet is vegetables. but i must not consume entire 16 ounce can of beans, which i used to do all the time. My weakness has been portion control and sweetened non-dairy creamer. because I used to pour that stuff in my coffee and drink it all day, Hello stubborn stick to your hips calories!
I have already divided up portions of tofu to crumble in my morning saute of shredded carrots, shredded turnip and arugula sprinkled w/ yeast flakes. yum.
thank you all for being here with me. I am learning how to embrace being over 50 chronologically but still envisioning myself as a work in progress.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #199  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Good Morning GG! No emails re GG yet, but still getting them for other threads. It's a puzzle!

Freda - The doctor and nurse have explained several times the importance of packing and I get it, but DH tells me every day that if they would just leave it alone it would close up. Finally, the PA explained it in a way that he understands. I think when they closed up my incision after surgery I got this little pocket, and it wasn't until it filled up with fluid and started to seep out that they realized it was there. It wasn't discovered until I was home 10 days after surgery. I want it gone, but I do want it to heal properly.

Rosey - I'm sorry to hear of your husband's problems. Good thing they found that clot before it did more damage! I hope he's feeling better soon. It's really no fun to be sick.

Carol - I'm glad to see you came over to GG. This is my favorite thread. For one thing, there are always posts to read every day. We are an active group. And since we are all over 50, we have similar problems with weight control and can give each other lots of support.

I don't follow any special diet plan. In fact, the foods I eat wouldn't be considered diet foods. I like to eat what I like to eat, so I try to eat smaller portions. I don't throw the leftovers away, because if I get real hunger later on I can go back and finish it. Knowing that it's there if I want it later keeps me from stuffing myself. But basically, to lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you're taking in, no matter what plan you use. You don't necessarily have to "count" calories, but need to have a general idea of what is going to make you gain, and what is going to help you lose. Good luck to you! You'll figure out what is best for you.

And Lucinda - I think many posters do as I do....take notes as I read the posts, so I can remember who said what and comment accordingly.

Bobbi - DH had trouble finding jeans until he started to wear Lees. But he does have to wear a belt with them since he has no hips or butt to hold them up.

Isabella and Karen 31 - My husband loves potatoes and french fries or steak fries are his favorite. Baked fries just don't cut it for him. They have to be greasy. LOL One time we ate at Ruby Tuesday's and they only have baked potatoes. When he asked why they didn't have french fries they said they could slice down a baked potato and deep fry it for him, and he said it was delicious.

My weight went up 1 1/2 lbs, but I'm not changing my ticker because I think it's water weight and I intend to get it right back off!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-11-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #200  

Aha! I found a clue as to why I'm not receiving emails for GG, but I don't know how to fix it. I clicked on User CP which gave me "New Subscribed Threads" which only listed GG. On the right hand side there was a link for "all subscribed threads". I clicked on it and it listed 76 subscribed threads, or everything I've posted in since joining, I think. On the far right next to the name of each thread it says "Notification" and all of them say "instant" or "daily" except for GG, which says 'none". I want "instant" for all, but I don't know how to change GG from "none" to "instant". Any clues, anyone?

Nevermind! I figured it out. I went back to that page that listed "all subscribed threads" and clicked on the little box to the right of GG that said "none". Then I scrolled down to the bottom to a link that let me choose "instant email" and then clicked "go" and it changed it to "instant notification". I guess I'm not as dumb as I thought I was. Now I'm going to go back and delete some of those subscriptions that are inactive.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-11-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #201  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's,

Getting ready for work. The sun is sort of out there ~ it is chilly out.

Most of the time, I am in a pretty good frame of mind and spirits when I get up. Kind of hopeful and looking forward to the day. Not feeling quite like that this morning ~ not sure why. A little blue maybe. Maybe tired? Wishing I could just stay home and gork Before I might have considered a "mental health" day but since I have started the secretary position, I haven't missed a day (almost 2 years now). So it is sort of a challenge to try to keep up the perfect attendance.

Do any of you ever feel like that (a little blue and don't know why). Sometimes I wonder if it kind of goes along with the full moons. Don't know if there is anything to that or if it is just "all in my head".

I just heard something interesting on the radio ~ they were talking about a lady who had a lap band ~ I didn't catch all of what they said ~ like maybe for her it didn't work and I'm not sure what then, but then they were telling about something ~ virtual lap band ~ hypnosis that makes you (your mind) think you have had the surgery. I would be interested in something like that. I am scared of surgery, but if I could get the same results without surgery ~ I might try that.

Ok, I'd better get off here and finish getting ready. Need to leave time for my walk ~ struggling this morning ~ gonna have to make myself. I know I will feel better if I don't leave that out ~ guess it is part of this funky little mood I'm having this morning.

Hope you all have a good day.

Take care
Old 01-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #202  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinweighting View Post

90 min exercise

Breakfast - Nugo Vanilla Protein bar

Will update through the day.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #203  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Well, I finally think I may possibly have found something that makes sense to me and that I can deal with indefinitely – as in probably forever. I think. I am very much a fledgling, but am becoming more and more interested in/involved with qi gong and Taoist diet practices. I LOVE qi gong. I love the fluidity, the naturalness, the energy balance. I feel better, with just this little bit of practice (and reading/research) than I have in ever so long, and feel optimistic, as well, that I can make this a serious lifestyle choice. Dh agrees, which is pretty vital, because I don’t care to start cooking separately for the two of us. I will back things out of our diet gradually…we already don’t eat red meat, and very little dairy, but eliminating caffeine, when I have been dependent on that morning coffee to get my eyes open won’t be easy.

Last night I made a baked fish dish – filled an oval casserole dish with sliced red and green peppers, onions, parsnips and zucchini squash sliced lengthwise. Put probably six or seven whole garlic cloves through the mix, ground some sea salt and pepper over it, and then topped it with two pieces of haddock. Salted and peppered them, added some fresh rosemary and sprinkled everything lightly with extra virgin olive oil. Roasted in the oven on 350 for about an hour and 15 minutes. Served it over spaghetti squash that I made in the microwave. We were both filled to the brim, and everything tasted really fresh and delicious. Ate slowly, tasting every different ingredient. Wow.

Well, we’ll see where this goes. I may have to kick the caffeine amidst some serious kicking and screaming, but I think I will do it over the next few weeks. I’m not rushing anything with this…if it’s a lifestyle change/choice, I have the rest of my life to get it right. I just feel very calm and clear about it all. It feels pretty good.

Carol Sue, I went through that daily unpacking/packing on a smaller scale about 8 years ago when I had a staph infection on the bone (right beneath my big toe) in my foot. They had to go in and scrape the bone, and left a deep hole in my foot about the size of a quarter at first. I had a visiting nurse who would come and unpack/re-pack it every day, and if I recall correctly, it hurt like the devil. After a week or two – I can’t remember exactly how long – I had to do it myself. The hole was getting smaller and smaller, and finally everything sealed up and the hole is teeny-tiny now. I do have to be a little careful not to get anything in there because I suppose it’s a somewhat vulnerable area where a new infection could start, but so far so good. Just hang in there, girlfriend….oh, and yes…eat lots of protein, because that’s what will heal it up faster.

Lucinda, welcome to the GG’s thread…and as for remembering what everybody is saying, I usually open up a word document so that I can scroll on the thread to see who’s saying what and respond to it, and then I just copy & paste the word doc into my post. Of course, I STILL can’t always get to everybody. That would take all day long for sure!

Hope all goes well with your DH, Rosey.

Speaking of DH’s, mine went out yesterday and bought a new Suburu Outback. That’s what happens when people have too much time on their hands, I swear.

Wow, Rie…when they get through with you, you’ll have one of those “Hollywood smiles” or ELSE, right? After all this, (and I am extremely dentist-phobic as well) you deserve a nice looking grille, eh? Oh, and about the fatigue, dry cough, etc., symptoms associated with my BP medicine – yes, I’m sure that’s what’s going on. I am really hoping to reduce the meds – or, in my wildest dreams, maybe eliminate them altogether once I get my diet in the proper balance along with my qi gong practice. Keep your fingers crossed for me, will you?

Oh, Mary, I’m definitely a potatoholic too! I can eat just about any kind of potato and love it, although I am a little partial to sweet potato fries with a little chili seasoning. Oh, my, I may have to try to integrate those into tonight’s supper! (I might have to try that recipe that you posted, CaddyK…it sounds like my kind of side dish for sure!)

What a great picture, Bobbi! I felt like waving back at you!

PT, I’ll try to send an Izzie Pic soon. They’re on my computer at home, and I haven’t been “computering” much at home these days outside of qi gong research and reading. Gawd, I can’t WAIT to retire! I need some free time to pursue all of this healthy stuff!

Freda, I second Gayle’s request for instructions for roasting kale. I tried it once..drizzled with olive oil & sea salt, and it came out as thin as tissue paper, and just about as tasty. I’d love to know how to make it come out right!

Well, I’m running out of time here, so will have to cut myself off. Hugs to ALL our GG’s wherever you are and whatever you’re doing today! Have a terrific one!

Z
Old 01-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #204  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucindaarrowspark View Post
Welcome girlfriends it is Wednesday, or hump day as some say.
i hate the scale. no really I hate the scale. Mine won't budge. so i must resist the urge to measure my progress by that stingy contraption. no. it's not broken. sweet dh weighs his skinny tuchas every day.
I have not fallen off my wagon.
I am impressed by all of you who can remember each others details and then give kudos or commiseration to one another.
I have been eating so healthy and staying below 900 calories/day.
i am a vegan so the mainstay of my diet is vegetables. but i must not consume entire 16 ounce can of beans, which i used to do all the time. My weakness has been portion control and sweetened non-dairy creamer. because I used to pour that stuff in my coffee and drink it all day, Hello stubborn stick to your hips calories!
I have already divided up portions of tofu to crumble in my morning saute of shredded carrots, shredded turnip and arugula sprinkled w/ yeast flakes. yum.
thank you all for being here with me. I am learning how to embrace being over 50 chronologically but still envisioning myself as a work in progress.
I know what you mean about the Scale >: Thought I had a good day yesterday but it didn't budge - then I remembered I had some popcorn yesterday and I'm probably retaining salt. I also used to use the sweetened coffee creamer, but switched to the regular kind and use Stevia instead. It doesn't taste as good, but I can tolerate it. I'm trying to eat very low carb, and I've found that root vegetables (carrots, turnips, beets) are higher in sugar and carbs than others so I've been cutting back on them.

You should see good results soon staying below 900 calories/day!!
Old 01-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #205  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Snowing here....

http://www.petplace.com/cat-videos.a...ailynewsletter

Last edited by jess1; 01-11-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #206  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Quote:
Tuesday’s Keep me Accountable menu 913 calories + 41 grams fiber

Breakfast - Fiber One, peanut butter yogurt , Flax & Chia seeds, 3oz. Chunky Cinnamon applesauce

Lunch- Ukrainian sweet & sour soup

Supper- Chipotle meatloaf, mashed potatoes, butternut squash, cranberries

Night time Snack- Yummy Carob pudding with sf cool whip and topped with dry Fiber One.

Sunflower seeds while watching “Parenthood”, love that show
Good Morning
No time for personals, just caught up on the threads. I too highlight what some of you say and post them on word documents if I have a comment. Then it's easy to copy/paste...Rosie, have you tried using word/then copy/paste yet? Donna...I watched that cute video on the cats, he obviously has cats since he's got their personalities down pat. Very cute, I laughed out loud when the baby kitten took over the food dish. Webwoman, we all run across plateaus, it too will pass. Rie...nothing beats the smell of fresh sheets hung out on the line. They should bottle that scent.
Gotta go, hi everyone and have a fantastic day.
Marie...how's the achy ovaries? Hope you're back posting soon, we miss you.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 01-11-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #207  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

I spent too much time at Hungry Girl this morning, that's why I didn't do personals.
Quote:

MAKES 8 SERVINGS

The Apple of Our Eye
Attention, Fiber One skeptics! We DARE you to try this recipe and not love it. Okay, if you're absolutely opposed to using F1 for baking, leave it out and double the graham cracker amount instead (each serving will then have 141 calories, 1g fat, 2.25g fiber and a POINTS® value of 2*). BTW, try spooning some of this stuff on top of light vanilla ice cream or yogurt... IT ROCKS!!!

Ingredients:
3 cups peeled apple chunks (any sweet, not tart, variety)
1/2 cup Fiber One bran cereal (original)
2 sheets (8 crackers) low-fat honey graham crackers
2 tbsp. fat-free liquid egg substitute
2 tbsp. no-sugar-added applesauce
3 tbsp. Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated), divided
2 tbsp. brown sugar (not packed)
1 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tsp. cinnamon, divided
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine 2/3 cup of cold water with brown sugar, cornstarch, 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon, vanilla extract, salt, and 1 tbsp. of the Splenda. Stir well. In a medium-sized pot, combine apple chunks with this mixture. Heat the apple mixture over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Once liquid thickens to a syrupy consistency and begins to bubble, reduce heat to low and cover. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes, and then transfer mixture to a medium-sized round baking dish. Set aside. Next, break graham crackers into small pieces. Place graham pieces and Fiber One in a blender or food processor, and grind to a breadcrumb-like consistency. Transfer crumbs to a microwave-safe dish, and add egg substitute, applesauce, 1 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon, and the remaining 2 tbsp. of Splenda. Stir well. Microwave graham mixture for 1 minute. Use a fork to break up the toughened mixture as much as possible, and then allow it to cool for a few minutes. Transfer graham mixture to a food processor or blender, and pulse until crumbly and uniform. Evenly distribute graham topping over apple mixture. Place the dish in the oven, and bake for 10 minutes. Allow cobbler to cool slightly before serving. MAKES 4 SERVINGS

Serving Size: 1/4th of cobbler (about 1 cup)
Calories: 126
Fat: 1g
Sodium: 236mg
Carbs: 33g
Fiber: 5.5g
Sugars: 16g
Protein: 2g

POINTS® value 2*
Old 01-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #208  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello Goldens.

Another long day today here at work followed by pool tonight. My mouth hurts this morning. Ugh. On a high note, a late package arrived from my kids. It included a moderate sized Dallas cowboys soft sided lunch tote. It is small but tall enough for a frozen water bottle. Sweet! It will become a new travel companion.

Bobbi, your menu looks so good. I love how you incorporate seasonal foods like squash in your diet.

Donna, loved the video! Please, I am begging you.... Send the snow north We woke this morning to no snow but -5 with the wind chill and dropping.

Webwoman, I am just comming out of a stall that lasted for months It happens. I try to think of this as a lifestyle change and not a short term diet. Hang in there.

Zoe, bless you. I am glad that you found something that works for you. For myself, I can't even imagine giving up caffeine. But, it is all about how we feel, right? Your supper sounds wonderful. Yes, I hope that I will have a nice smile. (actually, I have a good smile now - just not pretty teeth. LOL) It will be about a year before I am finished but I believe it will be worth it. I can go into my old age as the old lady with the bright (and non dentured) smile.

Carol Sue, It is really good news that things are healing and I know that it must seem slow to you. I think about you often.

Lucinda, I go to "advanced reply", a window opens up for me to type and I can also scroll down and read the other posts as I reply. I often put it into a word document and then cut and paste. Dont worry about it now.... just keep us up to date on you.

Mary, sorry that the short sale is still hanging out there. I am thinking good thoughts. I love potatoes and rice, etc. I just have to work really hard on portion control. I must admit, it helps because most nights my ds simply hands me my plate and it has the appropriate portions. If I want more I go back for more veggies - never the starch or protein. It works. I also try to really savor it.

Rosey, your menu sounds wonderful. I have never made chicken stew.... Is it just like any other stew with veggies?

Marie, miss you. Thinking of you.

Gayle, wouldn't you just love a mental health day? I won't have time for one for a while because we are so busy. Good job on sticking to your routine.

Freda, me three on the kale recipe. I have never gotten it to turn out right. The samoan guys that work for me love to include it in stir fry.

Lynn, nice to see that you are back at the gym. How was your appointment?

Caddyk, What are you up to this week? Did you get your gazelle sold?

Hi Isabella and Karenfl, and anyone I missed. Must get back to work.

Rie
Old 01-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #209  

The good news is I am getting GG email now! Yay!

The bad news is, when the nurse came this morning and looked at my belly I didn't like the look on her face. It seems that another hole has opened up, a couple inches above the other one. I got out my mirror to look at it, and it looks to me like my incision is coming apart. I tried not to freak in front of her, but she said she didn't know what to do, so she called the doctor and I'm going to see them again tomorrow. If I have to see the PA again, I'm going to tell her that I want the doctor to look at it to so I can hear his opinion. After all, he's the one who did the surgery and should be making decisions about any complications I'm having. After the nurse left, I started crying, then DH got mad. It was all terrible. I am a little bit calmer now, but I probably won't sleep tonight worrying about this. It's all bandaged up now so I can't look at it, and honestly I don't want to. I just want it to get better! Now!
Old 01-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #210  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Oh, Carol Sue, I just saw your post after I posted all this other stuff below. So sorry you're upset. Please do make sure you see the surgeon to get his opinion and expertise on your situation. Sending a hug your way.

I'm tired tonight as I stayed up way too long last night. Anyway, here's my eats and exercise for the day. BTW, I love, love, love fried baked potatoes.

Quote:
Breakfast: 1/2 cup oatmeal (with flax, bran, wheat germ) brown sugar, skim milk, 1 apple, 1/2 banana

Dinner: Mazidra (lentils, rice and salad vegetables), 1 linzer tart cookie

Supper: 1 each of orange, clementine, grapefruit, 1/4 cup Mazidra lentils

Exercise: 6.87 kilometres, 26 minutes
Here's the recipe for Mazidra. I've posted it above in the recipe section as well.

OK, here's what I had for dinner. It's a really good meal and very easy to make on top of the stove or in a slow cooker. I actually started it on the stove but had to go out so I dumped it in the slow cooker and it was perfect by dinner time. I had cooked rice in the freezer so I just had to thaw and heat that to go along with the lentils and vegetable toppings. This is very basic and you can add more herbs and spices if you like, but this is how I make it. DH always has Thousand Island dressing on his because he puts that stuff on anything green.

Mazidra
8 ounces dried lentils
4 cups water
1 McCormick’s Chicken or Beef flavoured bouillon or any vegetarian bouillon
1 or 2 Garlic cloves, minced
1 Bay leaf
Salt to taste
3 large onions, sliced thinly
4 tablespoons olive oil
3 or 4 cups hot cooked whole grain rice

Shredded lettuce
Diced tomatoes
Sliced green onions
Sliced black olives
Diced cucumber
Guacamole/diced avocado
Salsa
Etc...

In large saucepan, combine dried lentils, water, bouillon cube, garlic, bay leaf and salt. Bring to a boil and turn temperature down; cover and simmer for approximately 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Keep warm. In large skillet, sauté onions rings in olive oil until tender; mix with lentils. (I don't mix in the onions as I like them layered on top of the lentils.)

To serve, place a serving of hot rice on plate, top with a serving of hot lentils. Add lettuce and vegetables. Add guacamole and salsa if desired.

Have a lovely evening.

Last edited by retiredone; 01-11-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Closed Thread