Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #376  

Height: 5'3"

We were awakened by a call but it was already 8 am so time to get up any way. Our bedroom is so dark these days that we can easily sleep in and since we often don't sleep well we feel it's not all bad. I hope to get some housework done today and then head to Costco to get our refund. Not much else on the agenda.

Rie - GFY on the walking! I think walking is a great exercise. We don't walk outside any more (except when RVing) but I still miss it.

Lynn - Glad you're still doing well with your weight! I think maintenance is kinda scary!!

Slmn- Candy is too much of a temptation for me! We usually try not to be home on Halloween so I don't have to deal with it. I used to enjoy handing it out to the kiddos though.

Glynne - Oh, oats and apple sounds SO good! I have the MF oatmeals but they aren't that good. Today I plan to make muffins out of the blueberry though as I do like them that way. But I miss my regular oatmeal with a little bit of brown sugar and fruit in it. I'm a slipper person too. Yesterday I didn't have many hot flashes and I was cold all day and esp last night! Amazingly my dh who is usually the cold one wasn't cold. My feet are often cold though even when I have the hot flashes, so I like wearing socks and slippers. I wear socks to bed even but then soon kick them off when I get too warm.

Karen31 - The bottled Slim-fast is just like the canned to me cause I pour it into a glass any way. But I like the feel of the bottle (smooth, nice shape) and if I were to drink it right from the container I'd probably prefer the bottle as no can taste. I got for the same price as I usually often get the cans on sale.
When it first came out I used to make it from the powder as you do, but I was working then and the cans seemed more convenient so I switched. I only drink 1/2 can/bottle at a time poured into a glass and then I mix in a 1/2 t. fiber. The whole can/bottle would have enough but when I only take 1/2 (to keep calores down) I need more.

I hear dh up now so time for me to get on to other stuff so I'll be ready to go out with him. You guys have a good day!
Old 10-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #377  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Quote:
Bobbi - You seem to be doing very well on your calories. Keep up the good work!
Carol Sue...Thanks. One downfall I have when counting calories is not eating enough, I've always had that problem. So why do I have a tendency to gain weight? Simple, I love sweets. More so since DH and I stopped drinking alcohol. I read somewhere that people that stop drinking get a sweet tooth, TRUE!
I only have time to post yesterday's calorie, we're putting our dining room/living room back together again. The floor was completed around 3 pm yesterday, Yipee.

Quote:
Friday’s Keep me Accountable menu 1116 calories + 36 grams fiber
Breakfast - Fiber One, dried cranberries, Flax seeds, Chia, Yogurt, molasses, vitamins
Lunch- Onion soup
Supper - Cowboy baked beans, Hamburger (used store hamburger instead of wild game, added 120 more calories, bummer) on Light bun w/catsup
Pineapple Lime Fluff dessert w/Cool whip
Old 10-29-2011, 04:41 PM   #378  

Hi everyone.its beautiful out today sunny but crisp. i feel snow is coming. dh arrived in minnesota. he was sooo excited. ive been busy esp with the dogs. sadie ate my book i was reading. i dont know how she can be so quiet when shes being bad. its was one i was half done with. there isnt a piece bigger than a quarter.now i have to order another ohhh bad dog! i stuck my phone in my bra and went out side this am and walked up and down the wch ramp 5 x's for exercise. felt good.my upper legs are sore lol i take the phone in case i fall. is everyone posting their food intake dailey now good idea
yesterday:
breakfast.oinkos greek yogurt coffee
lunch turkey lunch meat roll ups( 2 slices,i slice cheese,cukes) iced tea
snack sf mocha smoothie about 60 calories
cranraisens and cashews 1/4 cup
grilled salmon,asparagus sm salad
snack protein soy cookie bites,1 bag 120 cal iced tea

hope you all are having an awsome weekend (((hugs))) rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 10-29-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #379  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Hola!

Nice day… I cleaned the bathroom really well, read two books, ate, ate, and ate some more. NICE day!

Mary – you’re doing SO well with your diet! GFY!!!

Has anyone had anything to do with the anti-inflammation diet? I’m thinking that I have to do something to cope with this hip arthritis, which is progressing much faster than it should be. I know that arthritis can be caused (or, at least, exacerbated) by inflammation. I’m willing to try almost anything at this point. I ordered a book.

CK – did you get an organ or a keyboard yet? I know it’s just a matter of time!

As of the news last night, there were still people without electricity, mostly up north in the Loveland area. My area wasn’t affected, and I haven’t seen much damage in my neighborhood. Granny’s big, beautiful, BIG globe willow was split from the weight of the snow, though, and she lost about a third of it. Luckily, it missed her house by about, gasp!, 6”! Oh, my, that would have shaken her!

As I read further, it looks like you did get a keyboard! Yea! You’ll have to have Tim record your first recital for us to hear on FB. Is your father-in-law still doing okay? Indeed, DO let us know before you go off on any trips to PA, okay?

Marie – do you have that tandem bike yet? Wow, I had no idea they’re so expensive!! You’d better get a lot of use from it! I can’t imagine how difficult it must be for you to prepare menus and shopping lists, as allergic as you are! Where do you get your guidance, or is this just trial and error? I’m agog.

Gayle – I figured that the new management would come up with changes, and they sound insidious. I would have expected the increases in the cost of benefits, but the restrictive color choices is VERY micro-management and controlling. Are they restricting style, too? I’d be willing to bet that they won’t allow you to make your own anymore. I think I mentioned that I TRIED to burn the blue scrubs we had to wear in nursing school, and the damn things are indestructible! Every time I see someone wearing that color, I twitch.

Did I read correctly that your DH suggested weight loss surgery for you????? Oh, my, Nancy can probably tell you how I feel about that sort of thing! Her SO has the scars to prove it.

Bobbi – how nice of you to make caramel buns for the workers… did you hold off serving them until the job was completed, and completed properly? I’m sure they were appreciative! Are you happy with the floors? You make your chicken stock the same way I do. YUM.

Rie – I think you’re a closet domestic goddess! I make my own chicken stock, but I’ve never made my own beef stock. Your tomato-basil soup recipe is one I copied. I’ll bet you clean more than you admit, too!

Freda – yo! Thanks for the Benny story. We LOVE our furbabies!

Mary – Lily, the tree, is fine! I brushed her off again before work on Thursday, and she was standing up (and turning slightly burgundy!) by the time I got home. Even the squished Rose of Sharon is standing up again. I’m amazed at all the large maples and etc., and they’re all still fully leaved (is that a word?). I guess if the branches weren’t broken off, they were resilient. Lots of damage, though, to branches, boughs, limbs, etc.

Lynn – I loved your Halloween cat picture. However, that cat was NOT amused!

Rosey – how are you doing as a Bachelorette? Did SadieMae go with DH or do you have all three pups with you?

DonnaMarie – you’re doing really well, too! Congrats.

Nancy – did you get your slippers?

PT/Zoe
– are you snowed in? The WeatherFool sounded downright giddy about a potential storm for you (and he specifically said “at Zoe’s house”!). Good, warm thoughts abound.

Nothing else... It's Saturday night in the big city, so I think I'll go gork! Have a good rest of the weekend, All. Any newbies, welcome!!
Old 10-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #380  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Hoping against hope that our electricity stays on....it's been quite the blizzard out there. I have been working on my dd3's afghan instead of trading out my summer for winter clothes. I just didn't feel like it. I made some high fiber bran muffins with ground up Fiber One thrown in for good measure...and cranberries and dates. They were yummy. Dh & I had one apiece for lunch with FF cream cheese. I made crabmeat salad roll-ups for supper with tomatoes, baby spinach and sliced avocado. Not many calories, and really good.

Hope everyone is warm & dry & snuggled in for the night -

Z
Old 10-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #381  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Zoe, stay safe and warm. I hope this storm moves out quickly for you. The older I get the more I hate snow!! I'm hoping that we don't have a bad winter here this year. Your muffins sound really good. I'll bet they were good. Sounds like good "comfort food" to me.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:22 PM   #382  

I tracked my keyboard this afternoon and it is in Joplin so I should have it tomorrow or the next day. That is one thing that I really like about Walmart.com they gave me an estimate that it would be here between Nov. 3 and Nov. 6 and anything that I have ever ordered has always come in early. So I'm looking forward to getting it and playing with it. I don't think it will take too long for me to get used to it----just need to learn more cords now instead of just pushing buttons!!

Haven't heard anymore today on Tim's Dad so I assume everything is going pretty good. Tim's sister is such a sweetheart--- she takes on so much and is now staying with Dad all the time except for when she can get one of her kids to come and spend the night so she and her hubby can have a "date night" I got to give her kudos 'cause I don't think I would've been able to take care of my Dad 24 hours a day, including changing catheters and bathing and all that. She is definetly someone special!

Well, guess I'd better get going and get some serious gorking done! LOL!! I think I'm trying to get a scratchy throat-- always seems to happen a few days after I get the flu shot. Maybe it will just pass very quickly!!

Have a good night everyone
Old 10-29-2011, 08:27 PM   #383  

Hi jess and everyone. nope jess i have all 3. sadie ate my book. shes awful and sweet at the same time. of course gizmo and daisy can do no wrong being a hunting bachloette is fine for now. im so blessed to have so many friends that check on me,and offers to run to the store for me. even had a visit from my dd's girl friend today.so for now im ok. ttfn rosey
Old 10-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #384  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Mary, you might not have gotten much housework done in the three weeks but if you had, the dirt would already be back. Instead you had fun. Welcome to our world!

Carole Sue, wonderful news on the cardiologist report. That is quite reassuring, isn’t it?

Gayle, it was nice of your to go on all the errands with your DH on your day off.

Lynn, count me in the “gotta do lots of exercise to eat a minimal amount of calories” club. It amazes me what the “experts” say on how many calories I can eat with my height/weight/activity. I’d be back over 200 pounds if I listened to them.

ROFL Val at the blowing and marching. I’m an expert at blowing and ellipticalling. Great job on all the steps!

Rosey, you are an inspiration. Love that you stuck your phone in your bra. You are inventive!

Donna, glad that with everything you’re dealing with G/M that the tree didn’t hit her house. You have enough with the insurance thieves.

To answer Donna’s questions about the tandem – yahoo – we picked it up today and went for a 7 mile ride. DH has that nasty cold. I’d almost think he was looking at our posts since he caught the one going around here, but alas, he wouldn’t care less. So we went for a short ride. Perhaps I can con him into another. And the food stuff, eating out is so hard. It is not worth it. I make everything homemade and I’ve been reading labels before it was vogue to do so. Pretty much everything we make is from scratch – bread, pasta (yes we make fresh pasta), marinara, pizza, etc. I’m creative when it comes to substitutions with recipes. Prepackaged foods don’t come in my house except for when DH wants something.

Zoe, stay warm and safe. Here’s hoping the electricity stays on.

My day has been interesting. My son texted DH that he has a new number. Didn’t let me know so I deleted his contact info. Then five hours later he text me. So I put his other info in with his new number. We actually texted for a few minutes and both said we loved each other. Then I said I want to work on our relationship. He didn’t respond. At least I’m trying. Mostly because I can’t get the frustration out of my head – its like a damn movie that won’t stop. If I just let it all slide and everything is “fine” I decided the stopped movie would be worth letting it all slide.

Anyways, I LOVE my tandem. It was scary at first. Being the stoker (second person) I have to put all faith and control to the captain. That was odd. Luckily I trust my DH implicitly. During scary parts (narrow areas) I just closed my eyes. I sat in the back peddling away and chatting at my hubby.
I posted a picture of Ruby Red Rider Two. Ruby Red One is my single bike. I love that I have two red bikes. And RRR2 has a double meaning. It’s the second and its for two. Someday I’ll get a picture of DH and I on it, or at least posing on it but for now… just propped against the wall. Sorry the photo is sideways.
Marie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpHCA2L3PM.jpg (41.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 10-30-2011, 02:17 AM   #385  

Rosey I keep my phone in my bra sometimes too esp at the gym. I always hope the electronics don't give off some cancer causing rays when I do it though. Yikes!

Marie - No matter how onery our kids are we cannot give up on them. We are parents for life..they are in our hearts no matter what they do, where they go.
The tandem bike sounds fun, never did that.

Karen31 - so glad your dad is doing ok and has a good person to take care of him. I agree not everyone can do it. My sister was the one who it landed to in our family....he was in a nursing home but she was there almost every day to see him and took care of his finances etc. after his wife stopped visiting.

Zoe - your muffins sound really good! I could go for one right now! :-) Not sure I could have stopped at one...admire your discipline! I was actually warmer tonight than last night. Maybe dh turned up the thermostat, I didn't check. He likes to sneak it up on me. ;-)but I have to admit it was nice to not be so cold tonight.

Donna - Glad your plants are surviving. We plan on transplanting a rose that grows too tall for where it's planted, we've never done that, hope it survives. Joe's been slowly digging it out but he gets tired and has to stop every now and then and covers up the roots until the next time he has a spurt of energy. I told him he doesn't have to do the rose but he says now that he has it dug around he has to or he'll have to do it all again next time. I wish now I hadn't mentioned it. I'm so used to him being able to do everything I forget he isn't as able as he used to be. He seems to have plenty of energy to go fishing though! LOL And I don't mean that sarcastically. I'm glad he still enjoys it.

Karen31 - I'm excited too about your keyboard. Post a video of you playing after you get a chance to get used to it.

Talk later...

Last edited by maryea; 10-30-2011 at 02:19 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #386  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning, Everyone,

Yesterday, I got to the mall to meet my friend, but got scared off by the snow/sleet. On my way to meet her, I saw two accidents. So, we had a quick lunch and I drove home. Today, we will re-meet to see the movie.

Next week begins my new course. I will try to check in regularly, but will probably not be able to do personals.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickadeee55 View Post
I have decided that I need to stay away from oats, today my tummy was just as upset, that is a carb that does not agree with me, too many rumblings all day long. One thing good about SB, is it is allowing me to weed out what makes me feel bad.
Hi Chickadee,

If you have not eaten a lot of fiber, when you begin adding it to your diet, you get some stomach issues. If you add it a little at a time, your body will get used to it and will thank you for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
I'll bet the sweater is beautiful, Lynn, and so special because your daughter made it! I want to make an afghan for each of my kiddos and grandkiddos so that they can always wrap themselves up in a hug from me even when I'm not around. I've made one for my 10-year old granddaughter (the one we take on our "field trips") and she always has herself wrapped in it...watching TV or doing her homework..I love seeing her all snuggled up in it. Z
Hi Zoe,

I am determined to find a way to be able to wear this sweater. My DD is a perfectionist and the design and stitching on the sweater are beautiful. She put so much work and love into the sweater that I feel guilty that I avoid wearing it. The funny thing is that I bought the wool. It is Alpaca and felt SO SOFT (until I tried to wear it). Hopefully, I will not have the same problem with the cashmere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
[COLOR=Purple] Like Zoe, I was out driving today for work. Three hours up and three hours back. The training was worth it though. But now I’m tired and its only just before 5 in the evening. I’ll never make it to bed time. Best part of the car trip is I stayed on my eating plan. I didn’t use it as an excuse to eat. But I did want to… Marie
Hi Marie,

Six hours of driving in one day is TOO MUCH! No wonder you were tired!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen31 View Post
Just got a message from Tim's sister and Dad is back home and doing better. She said he will needs lots of rest and PT but already looks better just being home. Thanks for all the prayers!
Hi Karen,

So HAPPY to hear that Tim’s dad is doing better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea View Post
Wow, we are a talkative bunch, aren't we! I was surprised (pleasantly of course) by how many posts since I last posted.
Hi Mary,

It seems like we have more posts in the Spring and Fall. I always like to see a big number of posts on our threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmn11 View Post
Me? I got a pretty good report from the cardiologist. He scheduled me for a cardiac stress test on the 8th to be sure, but I feel good and I'm not having any symptoms so I am expecting good results. You never know, though. I am supposed to have another surgery in December, but it all depends on the condition of my heart.
Hi Carol Sue,

GOOD for you on the positive cardiologist report! What surgery do you need to have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemontana View Post
Lynn, cool on the gym. How many points do you have before your silver medal? I can't believe how many I have for my bronze. I think I might get it before the end of the year. Yay!
Hi Rie,

I have 16,852 more points before my Silver Medal. It is going a LOT slower now that I am not training. I have less time on exercise and less intensity – therefore, fewer points earned. Hopefully, I will earn it while Obama is still in office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea View Post
Lynn - Glad you're still doing well with your weight! I think maintenance is kinda scary!!!
Hi Mary,

What I FINALLY learned (after MANY years) is that there is no difference between losing and maintenance. It is all about balancing eating and exercising. When you want to lose, you eat less than you burn. When you want to maintain, you eat as much as you burn. I eat about the same amount as I did while I was losing. The lower my weight, the fewer calories I can eat without gaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Carol Sue...Thanks. One downfall I have when counting calories is not eating enough, I've always had that problem. So why do I have a tendency to gain weight? Simple, I love sweets. More so since DH and I stopped drinking alcohol. I read somewhere that people that stop drinking get a sweet tooth, TRUE!
Hi Bobbi,

I ABSOLUTELY agree. When my DH and I stopped drinking, we began eating desserts. Basically, it is just a different way to get sugar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrosey49 View Post
i stuck my phone in my bra and went out side this am and walked up and down the wch ramp 5 x's for exercise. felt good.my upper legs are sore lol i take the phone in case i fall.
Hi Rosey,

GOOD for you! I REALLY wish we lived closer. I need knitting help. I finished with one hank of yarn and started a new one. Problem is that the second hank is not the exact coloring of the first and you can see the change in the scarf. The yarn is hand-dyed and has no dye lot. I can either have a VERY short scarf, or an “unmatched halves” scarf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1 View Post

Has anyone had anything to do with the anti-inflammation diet? I’m thinking that I have to do something to cope with this hip arthritis, which is progressing much faster than it should be. I know that arthritis can be caused (or, at least, exacerbated) by inflammation. I’m willing to try almost anything at this point. I ordered a book.
Hi Donna,

I actually borrowed the book from the library, but never got around to reading it. At this point, because of the diabetes and the esophageal spasms, I am really struggling with trying to eat healthy. Unfortunately, I seem to be eating more and more simple carbs – NOT good. I really MUST figure out how to balance these two problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
I made some high fiber bran muffins with ground up Fiber One thrown in for good measure...and cranberries and dates. They were yummy. Dh & I had one apiece for lunch with FF cream cheese. I made crabmeat salad roll-ups for supper with tomatoes, baby spinach and sliced avocado. Not many calories, and really good. Z
Hi Zoe,

You could cook for me anytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
Lynn, count me in the “gotta do lots of exercise to eat a minimal amount of calories” club. It amazes me what the “experts” say on how many calories I can eat with my height/weight/activity. I’d be back over 200 pounds if I listened to them.
Hi Marie,

I have come to the conclusion that everyone is different. For me, I need to eat below 1200 calories to lose (with 90-120 min of exercise) and around 1200 (with the exercise) to maintain. For now, I am choosing to maintain – although, at 5’1”, I could stand to lose about 20 more lbs. After the holidays, I may work on losing another 10 lbs. I REALLY believe that to maintain a weight loss, we need to lose slowly and maintain the loss for 6-12 months before losing more. The steep/fast weight losses come back FAST!
Old 10-30-2011, 08:40 AM   #387  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's,

One day down ~ two to go. Got out late last night. Seems like things kind of go in cycles. For a while, it seems that I get out on time. Then there will be a spell where it seems to run late. Friday night an admission was rolling off one elevator when I was getting on the other one to leave. I feel guilty when that happens ~ fighting back and forth with myself in my head ~ keep going or turn around and go back. Keep going has won out so far. Last night the admission rolled off the elevator 5 minutes before the end of my shift. I don't feel right leaving when it comes before my time is up even if it is that close to the end of my shift. If it is fairly quite ~ it takes about an hour to do an admission (my part). Thank you so much supervisor for pushing to get things moving along (feel the sarcasam ~ LOL).

My knees are feeling way better ~ still have an occasional pain when walking (never know when it will come ~ no warning and it kind of throws you off balance.) I feel that that pain was for me the thing that finally screwed my head on straight with this proper eating stuff. I hope the thoughts of it will continue to remind me so that I leave those goodies that are calling to me alone. Yesterday there was a box of doughnuts on the break room table. I didn't indulge ~ kept telling myself ~ that is "pain in a box".

Sorry ~ I keep promising personals, then get out late and my evening is shot.

I'd better get off and do some more getting ready for work.

Hope you all are having a good weekend.

Take care
Old 10-30-2011, 09:09 AM   #388  

S/C/G: 318/218/160

Height: 5'6"

Yesterday morning, hubby wanted to go to breakfast. I just cannot do 2 eggs, home fries, bacon and biscuit and gravy anymore. So I ate my normal breakfast before he even got up, and packed no-fat yogurt and strawberries in a lunch box that I took with me to the diner. As he ate his over 1,500 calorie breakfast, I ate my 100 calorie yogurt. I felt very proud of myself.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:15 AM   #389  

Good job Donna Marie! I always find it hard to do that... I think I just like food too much! I figure I can always exercise a little more to make up for the breakfast... but then I don't do that either. SAD....
Old 10-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #390  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hello Goldens!

I can’t believe I did this but I really tied one on last night. Ugh! I had fun at the time but I am certainly getting too old for this. My bs is up and I had so many calories that I shudder to think about it. Including the drunken 2am breakfast – haven’t done that one in over a year! Hoping that I can work out today to get my body back in shape. One of my buddies picked me up from behind (wow – it has been a really long time) in a bear hug and when he set me down I came down hard to the floor. Paying for that today.

Donna Marie, great job on handling the breakfast. Good for you.

Gayle, it sounds like you are back on track. Good job. I like the “pain in a box” reference. Whatever helps you.

Lynn, good luck on your new course. Don’t worry about the personals. Just pop in and let us know how you are doing.

Mary, so sorry about how things are going with your son. I agree, though, we can’t give up on our kids. We CAN, however, take steps to protect ourselves when necessary.

Marie, the tandem bike sounds like so much fun. I never thought about the issue of being the person in the back. Sorry that your dh is sick!

Go Rosey! You are getting so mobile and strong. Good for you. I like the fact that you put your phone in your bra. I do the same thing when I go walking. Sometimes I think that I will need to find a new hiding place because I worry that all that sweat is not good for the phone!

Karen, waiting to hear you on the keyboard!

Zoe, I have been thinking about you with all the weather reports about the northeast snow storm. I hope that you still have power.

Donna, early on in my lupus journey, I was on a diet that avoided all artificial colors, sweeteners, etc. Some people swear by it. I hope you find something that helps. And no, seriously no domestic goddessing here – at least the cleaning kind! However, If I could cook forever – without cleaning up after myself – life would be good! I, not my mom or aunties, am the keeper of our family recipes and the one that grandma taught to make everything. I sure miss her. We enjoy having her at our holidays through the foods that she used to make.

Bobbi, it is true that people who give up alcohol have a sweet tooth. Well known in recovery settings. It may also be a tolerance issue: Many native populations have co-related bs and alcohol issues.

Well, friends, I am going to go nurse my self-inflicted symptoms. Take care.

Rie
Closed Thread