Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #376  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Carol, don't believe so. You need to be on your internet providers feed. Routers send ip address out to equipment and it has to have one first and be on a network.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:58 PM   #377  

Height: 5'3"

It's been a very busy day and I am tired tonight. I also came down with another UTI today...it's not too bad and since I have an on-going prescription (for one year), I was able to quickly get it filled without seeing my doctor. I lost the original one though and had to call and get another sent to my pharmacy. Then we went to a different pharmacy because in Jan Walgreens will no longer be working with our insurance and for some reason they couldn't get payment. So we had them send the prescription to Walgreens and it went right through. We will have to change it to another place though once they no longer accept our insurance (Jan). But I just wanted something asap and didn't want to bother finding another pharmacy today. Had enough to do. Other than the UTI I actually felt better today though.

Lots of desk/phone work today for some reason. I did manage my daily work and one weekly house job. Still need to do my meal planning for next week...our dd and gc will be here on the first so have to think of things they will eat even if I can't. Tonight was leftover night but I couldn't stand the leftovers so I had canned chicken and lots of cucumber and tomato slices with it.

Marie - After I reach my goal weight, I will enter the transition stage where gradually more and more "real" food will be added back into my diet. I will eat some MF meals in the beginning along with the "real" food. At the end of that I will be eating all regular food but will continue to monitor my weight/calories/fat/cholesterol/carbs as usual to prevent gaining it back. I think that will be the biggest challenge as that's where I failed before! But I am very determined and understand the whole process much better this time so hopefully that will help. Some people do go back to MF if they start gaining or just keep some meals they like on-hand for certain times to make sure they eat healthy. Since I don't work, it's pretty easy for me to make healthy meals so doubt I will unless it would be the bars. Other than my evening snacking I've always eaten pretty healthy. Anyway the diet program is free as far as the instructions etc. If you choose to prepare your own food that's up to you...it's just difficult to make it exactly right (nutrition) sometimes. The best thing about this program for me is that it fills me up on very little calories/carbs. My bs are getting better and better and last night I took my bp and it was great too! I'm hoping I can drop some medications soon.

Lynn - Glad you get a break! You deserve it all that you do!

Hi to everyone I missed!
Old 09-29-2011, 09:27 AM   #378  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's,

Three days down ~ one to go. Off Friday ~ yippee

I have to go in early on Saturday morning. This is the weekend where the new company takes over the hospital, and so all the patients have to be discharged and readmitted (from the computer). I offered to come in and help with that, but the boss wanted me instead to come in early Sat am to double check over everything that has already been done to make sure that nothing was missed. I think I would rather be the one to do the initial thing than to have to go back over someone elses stuff and make corrections or fix stuff. Sometimes that correcting and fixing is more work than just doing it in the first place. We'll see. I am to stay then for as long as that takes.

Guess I'd better go finish getting ready now. Hope you all have a good day.

Take care
Old 09-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #379  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Greetings from rainy Massachusetts! So far, fall here in New England hasn’t been all that pleasant, but it’s not snowing, so I guess I’ll keep my complaints to myself for the time being. It looks like I may be taking on some private consulting work sooner than I had planned – my buddy got himself a contract to run a capital campaign for a group up in Vermont that wants to build a community center, so I’ve agreed to give him 8 hours a week starting in two weeks. I’ll have to make one overnight trip up there to meet with the group and their campaign leadership folks, but I can do a majority of my work from home. It will actually add nicely to my retirement nest egg, seeing as how I can charge significantly more for consulting than I get paid as an employee – can actually come close to duplicating my monthly net pay in just the 8 hours a week. Lil’ Izzie Bee won’t be the only busy bee….(oh, sorry. Just couldn’t resist despite the fact that I’m probably the only one who would guffaw at that). This additional work is a huge help, seeing as how dh still isn’t doing much consulting, and his “living history” interpretation barely covers his gas and lunch. What was it that CaddyKaren posted about liking coffee, chocolate (I think) – and men – rich? Sometimes I wonder at my capacity to get the coffee and chocolate right, but not the men part. Ah, well. I’m sure that great wealth and ostentation is a burden to those who have to live with it. Having never lived with it, I wouldn’t know. Oh, heck. I’m not whining and complaining, honest. Well, not TOO much, anyway .

Dd3’s birthday is Sunday. We’re having a birthday dinner at our house – a sort of buffet-style with all sorts of fillings for tortillas, which she can eat (at least the ones made from corn flour). You may recall that she is on a near-Paleo diet because of her MS, and so far, it seems to be preventing any exacerbations. With the exception of giving herself a shot every evening and taking quite an array of vitamin supplements (and of course her extremely restricted diet) you’d never know she had MS, thank God. Anyway, I’m going to grill steak strips, chicken, ground turkey, and do some Mexican-seasoned shrimp on skewers, and then have a variety of garnishes – grilled onions & peppers, shredded lettuce, black olives, chopped tomatoes, grilled eggplant, guacamole, salsa, sour cream, and rice, of course, and a big salad. For her birthday “cake”, I’m going to the local health food store to get some of the soft cookies that she can have (Can’t even do a gluten-free, egg-free cake, because she can’t have yeast) and layer them on a plate with chocolate coconut ice cream (she can have coconut milk and ice cream) to make a “cake”. Yum. (Why is this making me hungry?)

Mary, you’re an emerging new star of the Golden Girls! I’m so glad you found something that you can comfortably live with that works for you! I’m afraid I’m still searching and still bouncing up and down. I need an avatar of me on a pogo stick! Anyway, just wanted to say “attagirl!” and keep up the good work, Chica!

Hi Carol Sue…just sayin’ hi, because I can’t contribute anything to technology discussions. Thank goodness Marie is here, huh?

And Marie, I don’t think I could exactly smash Pinocchio, but I sure could knock him down to size with some well-placed publicity….howzabout picketing outside of his offices with great big signs proclaiming his proclivity for stretching the truth beyond all acceptable limits? Oh, okay. You’ve talked me into it…I’m issuing an open call to GG’s everywhere… time to break out the riot gear and head up to Marie’s.

Darn it, Lynn. These stomach problems of yours sure are hanging on stubbornly! Well, I sure hope they – some doctor or other – manage to diagnose you correctly and find a solution. I have to say that my own experience with doctors is less than stellar, although I do believe that I’ve ranted about that before. On a positive note, I’m glad you can hang out with us for awhile !

Wow, Bobbi – you’ll be eating pure, unadulterated meat all winter, too! Is it too late for MY dh to take up hunting?

Hope you had a wonderfully relaxing day off, PT! I have to say that reading about it made me a little jealous. I may have to book myself into a hotel one of these weekends just to have some “alone” time!

Gayle, how did the “Y” tour go? We have a very luxurious one here where I live, and my kids all have memberships. They keep telling me I should get one. Maybe they’re right.

Rie/Val, those pork chops you described from the other night with portabella mushroom and artichokes had my mouth watering. ALMOST as much a chocolate does…LOL.

Congrats to your son, K3…I think I may already have said it, but maybe it was on FB??? I’m a little slow on the uptake, sometimes.

Hiya Nancy, come visit when you can, Chica…you know we love you!

Freda! Hiya! What are you up to now that fall has fell? (Fallen?) Hope all’s well in your little corner of the world!

Have a great day y’all!

Z
Old 09-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #380  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Marie or Donna, how far back was the posts about only one virus scanner program?
I ran all kinds of virus scanners yesterday, no virus. I updated to Explorer 9 but now my printer isn't compatible and was automatically disabled. So I uninstalled it this morning. Someone mentioned Foxfire, do you think I should try that?
I didn't have to do any butchering yesterday, DH did that job while I packaged. DH always lies about how expensive his hunts are, I know it was $750.00 just to hunt on Indian land plus the guide, out of state license, gas and lodging. I'm guessing it was well over a thousand. I pointed out yesterday how expensive the meat was as we ended up with only 55 pounds of meat. (boneless and skinless, all fat removed). If he spent a $1,000, that was $18.00 a pound. I never cared what he spent on his hunting trips when he was working but now that he's retired he has to stop. (It's been 6 years and he's hunted out of state all 6 years)Every year he says this is the last year, HA! Now that I've got my over, I can get on my day.
One more thought, I don't know if the all fields surrounding our home is causing the dust in our home or something else. Since I've been keeping the bedroom closed off, windows shut and the air purifier running at night, no headaches. BUT, I dust the hard wood floors every other day and you should see the dust! Marie, I know you have hardwood floors in your home, how often do you have to dust the floors? It seems like under the bed is where I find the most, how could that be when I vacumn/dust mop so often? Can't wait to see what I'm actually allergic to.

P.S. Here's a joke for all you office workers. Crabby Maxine says, "The office copier is out of order. Guess today I'll just have to draw a picture of my butt."

Last edited by Bobbolink; 09-29-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #381  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning Lovely Ladies,

Still having this back pain that makes it impossible to do much of anything. Terribly annoying. I did make an appointment with the Dr. for Tuesday. She is coming in 1/2 hour early to see me. My medical Dr. couldn't see me for 2 weeks because it's a Jewish holiday. In the mean time it's try to keep the pain under control with motrin, which is really doing a job on my stomach. HATE being sick!!!

Marie, Thanks for being our resident computer expert. I think we have a lot of experts here, on one thing or another. Like Donna, I'm so computer illiterate that all I hear is blah, blah.

Rosie, congrats lady. It's been so wonderful being there as you started this journey to lose weight and get stronger.

Donna, you asked about not taking Aleve? I'm sorry I think I haven't answered that. It's just because of the bleeding.

Bobbi, That is some expensive meat. But i'm sure it's not really the meat that your husband goes hunting for. The thrill of the hunt and all that. But those are some expensive hunting trips. Are there places that he can continue with his hobby and not spend so much?

Lynn, Yeah, you're back for a month! I always miss you when you're not hear.

Z, WOW, How wonderful that you have already started getting you consultin business started. Makes that retirement transion easier.

Gayle, I'm with you. Let me do ti right the first time. I hate trying to clean up afterwards.

Mary, You seem to have found the perfect diet for you. Great that you have gotten your BP and your BS down. Crossing my fingers that you can get rid of some of those meds soon.

Rie, How wonderful that you can lower your meds. What a difference diet and exercise make.

Carol Sue, Yes, that is a reason to go on a vacation! Of course, I don't much of an excuse.

Freda

Last edited by the slim me; 09-29-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #382  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Hi GG's,
I have been AWOL for a while, but mostly posting on the BFC threads. Weight-loss wise, I'm coming along slowly having finally found a plan that quashes the carb/sugar cravings that I used to get in the evenings.

My twins started college last month, so I'm finally an empty-nester, and one of the first things I did was empty the refrigerator/cabinets of all the junk food. It's amazing how much less food I go through every week!

I hope everyone is doing well.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #383  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

Dr. called and I have a UTI. Started antibiotic & feel crummy (antibiotics always do this to me).

Just taking it easy today.

Lynn
Old 09-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #384  

Morning everyone another rainy day,but the last 2 days have been beautiful,with hard frost at nite.ugh winters coming. we have been busy running errands,groc shopping and had to get ready for the homedepot folks to install new appliances. the washer installed but have to wait for the dryer as we use gas and the dryer is coming from anchorage,mean time my laundry pile is about 3 feet high and gizmo loves to sit on the top for a nap. Bobbie i can relate to the expense of hunting, for all the hunting my dh has done i could have a farm and a herd of black angus cows and chickens and pigs and hire someone to run it for me or maybe my house finished or a vacation to vegas aww i can dream but dh lives for hunting, hes my neanderthal(sp?). Freda so sry your back is still bothering you,mines getting better.Zoe as always your posts delite me,wtg on the extra income.glynne good luck in the changes at your work.Maryea cont good thoughts for you and your husband hope you get answers soon.Hoping everyone has a good day for all rosey
Old 09-29-2011, 06:30 PM   #385  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Mary, feel better! I despise UTIs. They were a constant in my twenties and thirties. Now just occasionally. I’m glad you have a solid plan après MF.

Gayle, I’d take the double checking as a compliment. Means your boss trusts your focus on details.

Zoë, I do think 8 hours a week for a months pay sounds like the way to go. That retirement fund will be dancing for joy. And Pinocchio is out of Seattle. Think we could spear him with the Space Needle?

Bobbi, I’ve heard bad things about IE9. Definitely try Firefox or Chrome. They are much leaner browsers that run faster.

Ah Freda, I wish GG wishes would make your back pain go away. I hope you feel better soon.

WebW, good job doing a clean sweep of the junk food. That’s always a good thing.

Lynn, I hope your UTI vanishes quickly. I hate antibiotics too.

Rosey, LOL at the hunting expense deductions of a prospective ranch. You sure did make me laugh!

I left work nearly 2 hours early today. I wasn’t drowning under a wave and today could be one of the last summer days. It’s in the mid-80s and I just couldn’t be cooped any longer. Of course, I’m at home inside. But the doggies are around me, the doors are open and a nice breeze is blowing through. Mr. UPS man asked me if I had the day off since I told him it had been a long time since I’d seen him. Hooky, I replied and he laughed. He visits our house often because of Amazon Prime and our town has the worse shopping around for an area of 60000+ people. I had a good elliptical workout this morning even though Thursday is my day of rest. DH and I swapped morning doggie walking so he walked the doggies this morning. Tomorrow I will and it will be my day of rest. Good thing since four days of killing the quads really made them tired today. I canceled Kai Pixie’s vet appointment on Saturday since she was bluffing about having an ear infection. I love saving $$$. DH and I plan to go to Medford on Saturday to rollerblade. Honestly, mostly we’re going to Costco and I conned him into rollerblading too. We need to go to the stained glass shop as well and get strengthening wire for the panels we’re doing. I’m trying what stained glass to do next since the one I pushed into was really DH’s project. I finished my biggie window panel in May and haven’t figured out what to make since. A co-worker and his wife just had a baby. Maybe I’ll make a figurine but that wouldn’t take much time. But it would save me $$$ as I wouldn’t have to buy anything. Hmmm. Perhaps that is a fine idea. For now, I’m going to write and enjoy the beautiful day.
Marie

Old 09-29-2011, 07:05 PM   #386  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Evening all.....Sorry you are seeing signs of pending Winter 'cause still stinking hot down here. Yesterday was "91 but felt like 97". Big deal hot is hot/humid. I have finally learned not to go get mums for the front porch when my Northern genes say Fall. They shrivel up in the heat.

After being so successful cleaning the bottom shelf of the pantry decided to do one shelf a week in my kitchen. I tackled the spice cabinet today. Hmmm haven't seen a Giant grocery since we lived in Md. Guess the sage was a little old. Actually surprised how few tosses I had. Thought I'd be throwing out everything. Next week the pantry middle shelf'. By Jan will be all clean and ready to start over.

Lynn....Did you watch Survivor last night. Brandon is beyond creepy and like one step from rapist/stalker. He is a troubled young man. Not only has demons but may be a demon. Glad there is a camera chew around to watch him. Read he and his wife had some anger management program, but at 19 there still is years to mature. Think he is worse than his Uncle. Why do they bring back players, they really suck at the challenges second time around. Ossie fell off the board and they blamed Papa Bear. Keep waiting for Coach to revert to his weird self.

Bobbie....I gave up years ago trying to figure price/lb of game. Even when out of state licenses were reasonible it was expensive. But DH worked all year for those 2 weeks and rather than be what I called a golf widow I went along. Loved the wilderness camping, tent and cooking over fire, packing in even water and packing out even garbage. No campers just basic stuff. BUT now I want 4/5 star hotel, clean linens and fluffy towels. We hunted for Elk/mulies in Colorado and Montana. Moose and black bear in Maine and Canada. Most expensive trip was a bear hunt I won to Canada because our SIL shot DH's jeep door. Wee hole in = hugh hole exiting....missed the lock out hub by millimeter. Oh he is no longer a SIL!

Played bridge yesterday and felt like old me. Even bid a Grand Slam in spade vulnerable. That's next to the highest bid possible. Oh and made it. Only one in the game who bid it. Loved it but the best part is that my mind/thinking is so much clear. Between the surgery and then the antibiotics this is the first 2 weeks I am almost chemically free. Still on BP/chlolestrol meds and normal BP is 107/60(just now) and cholestrol is 177. See MD the 11th maybe he'll knock some of this stuff off.

phone....bye k3
Old 09-29-2011, 07:05 PM   #387  

S/C/G: 184.7/165

Height: 5'4" (In my heyday, I was 5'6"...)

I've been gone for a bit -- I think I'm getting over the honeymoon phase of dieting and I need to find some good low-pp recipes to work with. Hummus, avocado & tomato open-face sandwich almost every day for lunch, and it's losing its appeal. And I'm always scavenging around at dinnertime. Doug likes his meat and starch, and neither of those appeal to me. But I just remembered I have a nice leftover salad and lots of shrimp. Hmmm.... yum! Breakfast -- I don't always eat breakfast, but I think I'll try to change that. It's not a hard meal for me to put together -- kashi, eggs, protein drink, whatever.
I've been scanning old, old black and white photos, and then trying to figure out who some of those folks are! Aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. from 'way back. My eyes are getting a little bleary but I've gotten a lot done.
My conscience is whispering to me that I should get out and go for a walk, but I JUST DON'T WANT TO!!! I've hiked three miles every day for two weeks, and I'm giving myself the day off. I actually think that tomorrow I might go to the gym just for a change of pace. It's about a 20-minute drive, so not too bad. I don't much like showering at the gym, though, so I'll skip that part. Run errands first, go to the gym, come home and shower.
Tomorrow is weigh-in day, and I'm not optimistic.

Sue
Old 09-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #388  

S/C/G: 184.7/165

Height: 5'4" (In my heyday, I was 5'6"...)

Thumbs up

Donna, twelve pounds in a month is perfect! Good for you!
Old 09-29-2011, 09:26 PM   #389  

Lynn & Marie -You and me Lynn, you and me with these UTIs!! I hope we are both over them fast! I had a lot of them in my 20s and 30s and then went years and years with none and now every few months! That older women "environment" I guess as the urologist calls it! This one is not too bad at least, now that I'm on meds I'd never know I have it except for this terrible fatigue...I've been having that for about two weeks now though so maybe it's not the UTI but maybe it was coming on before the burning started, I don't know. Also last couple days I've been chilling at times. I usually tend to be warm (even too warm!) but today when others were wearing shorts I was wearing a sweatshirt jacket and still shivering.

Karen3 - I agree Brandon (Survivors) is very strange! In the very beginning I thought he was my guy to root for but not so sure now...I liked that little troll, Russell much better!

Slim - Sorry about that back pain! I know from experience it can be terrible! Hope you get past it soon!

Bobbi - Was it you asking about Firefox? I really really liked FF until the last version came out. Now I prefer Google Chrome. It is fast, has tabs and is uncomplicated. I think FF tried to be more like Chrome with this last version and messed up, but that's just me. If it'd stayed the same, I'd never have switched. But if you like IE you may actually like FF better, although right now I can't see much difference between them.

Dh went back for more MRI pics today. He was in there longer even than the first time. I was beginning to wonder about him, but he was ok, no dizziness this time even. We should get the results in a couple days. I hope his eye heals quickly as it is very tiring for him.

Last edited by maryea; 09-29-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:58 PM   #390  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hello Goldens!

It seems like I have been through a busy 24 hours and I’m not sure why?? Do you ever have one of those days when it seems like you have been running your tail off and you can’t figure out what you did?

I have a question about your experiences with chiropractic care? A few weeks ago, I saw a chiro doc for my back (Hello Freda). Last weekend, at the women’s wellness thing, I signed up for this free evaluation and consult. I woke this morning with bad back pain so I was glad that I had my appointment today. Anyway, he took x rays and did a really complete physical exam. However, he also had all these “scan” things and I just thought it was really weird. I don’t know quite what to think…..

Freda, sorry that your back is troubling you. It is just terrible…

Mary, it sounds like MF is working really good for you. Good Job! I am thinking good thoughts about Joe’s eyes. BTW, did you know that you can get a free meter and strips from Free Style Lite.com. You can also register with them and you can get really cheep strips. I only pay $15 for 150 strips. Worth checking.

I hear you guys on the wild game and the hunting experience. I used to enjoy the hunting camps and enjoy the meat. Now, as a single woman, I’d rather spend the money on shrimp… Tee Hee. Hunting season is going here with bow season now and bird season/rifle season starting next week.

Rosey, how exciting that you are getting your appliances in. It is amazing to me how fast the laundry piles up.

Marie, Yay on hooky days!!! I am proud of you for escaping. So interesting that you were talking about stained glass projects! I have all the equipment (given to me) and several books. I am determined that I will get started this winter. My hope is that I can convert all my grandmother’s favorite quilt patterns into stained glass pieces.

Donna, how did you enjoy your free day?? Too cool.

Lynn, so glad that you will be able to hang out here for a month before your next class starts! I hope that they figure out your belly pain soon.

Karenfl, Yay on being a card shark in the bridge room. I guess you don’t cook too often with sage, huh? LOL Don’t get too carried away with cleaning, OK?

Zoe, the consulting gig is wonderful. Go you! I think the birthday plans for the weekend sound good, also. It is so nice that you pay attention to your dd food needs.

Sue, nice to hear from you! Yes it is hard to lose the diet honeymoon…. It gets us going at first. I have found lots of great recipes online, here on 3fc and even on food network. You can search by low carb, low cal, etc.

Hi WebWoman! Yes, I thought that the empty nest stuff was pretty cool. I used to spend grocery money on luxurious things like good fish or seafood, and still spend less than what I did when my boys were home!

Sorry if I missed anyone, I am going to go play with the little guy..

Rie
Closed Thread