Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #241  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Hi all....

Good job Lynn....Been waiting all day to hear about your day!

I've been lurking, but with nothing new didn't check in. I've heard of postpartum depression but did you know there is also post cardiac depression....sighhhhh....not even a diaper to change. Can't even stay that blue when I read stuff on GG. Gorking was an old term we used for patients that were beyond sundowners. Sundowners are old f*rts that can manage reality until late afternoon. Actually have been painfree for over a week. And slept the whole night in my bed instead of the chair.

I grew up in a little town of 660 if everyone was home. My class thru 6th grade was 13 of us. Including Elmer R, who was probably elligible for a drivers license by 2nd grade. Went to a 3 room school (9 grades) and walked to school every morning and back home for lunch. It was a mile each way up the hill. We would roller skate down the hill sometimes.....you had to hop over the tar stripes or the skate rollers sunk down and you bounced off the cement. Skates you fastened to your shoes with a key. But mostly I read a book while walking. A trick that still drive my DH crazy. The town was so small that if you screwed up everyone got in a shot before you got home. We had big games with all the neighbor kids of hide'nseek in our back yard. Dad put up a big old dinner bell and when it rang my brother and I were to be home asap. I was grown before I knew that all the kids in town went home when that damn bell rang. It was a big bell(24" tall) and even today when I hear a bell I wanna go home. My best friend Elinor lived nextdoor and we spent days dressing up in old sheer curtains as brides, then sitting under the hedge in her yard building houses with rocks and slate, and i still have my orginal scabble game. It was a diffent world then, you had breakfast and went out to play...maybe came home for lunch or somebody's mom fed you...home for supper and then a few more hours playing. We had the 2nd tv in town. I saw the Jersey Joe Walcott/Joe Lewis fight on the 1st tv at Mom and Pop Mobus' tv(first tv in town) but fell aslept before Joe knocked out Jersey Joe. I remember the NYC mayor reading the funny papers on tv because of a strike and the day Babe Ruth died. My Aunt Lil had a cellophane sheet that had tints on it that she put across the screen and called it color tv!

I went to small school thru high school. My high school class was 21. So when I got to Rutgers U it was a new world. Am so thankful for the nurturing that a small community gave us. Funny but when we go back there the old timers greet us like it was just yesterday. I'm still little doc and my brother is still Brother. DH is still Little George. We raised our kids there and that is their home base, too.

BBL to do personals...lov'ya all k3

ps just googled amd the fight was the rematch 6/25/1948.

Last edited by Karen3; 09-18-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #242  

Height: 5'3"

Karen3 Enjoyed reading about your childhood. Made me remember a few more things like the big bag of "dress up clothes" mom kept in her closet for me to play with. It was fun to dress up like "grown up ladies!" I also walked to and from school...depending on what school I as going to at the time, it was 10-12 blocks at least. I still remember the first time I walked home alone from kindergarten...I was kinda scared. I remember the key skates you mentioned although I wasn't much into skating. I loved to jump rope and play jacks after I was out of the doll and dirt stage. I recently tried to jump rope and thought how strange that I can barely do it anymore when I used to be so good at it. Several years ago, I tried to show my gd how to play jacks and I wasn't very good at it any more either. Your mention of the "funny papers" made me remember how my sis and I would read them together. I think before I could read she read them to me too. I remember school boys chasing me home from school and remember kids throwing rocks and once a snowball with a rock in it that hit me. That really hurt! I think they just knew I was shy and liked to tormet me. Once I was looking out our front windows and a BB was shot through the window, just missed me. Kids weren't watched as closely then and also a lot of mean things were dismissed as just being kids...at least we didn't have the internet and worldwide bullying. On the good side it was nice to have much more freedom than kids today. I remember walking blocks to a park to play with my neighbor friends and my gf and I never hesitated to walk after dark. My biggest fear was a mean dog, not people. And if I got lost (which I did once when I was about 10 or 11), I didn't fear talking to adults and most knew my parents.

You must be close to my age? I remember "number please" and milk delivery with the glass bottles and the cream on top. My dad used to make "milk shakes" with snow after a fresh fall of nice clean snow. I remember the smell of rain coming and how fresh everything smelled after a good rain. I still remember what my folk's house looked like even though it's been many many years. Once after my dad was old and lived with his second wife, my brother and sister asked the people who then owned the house we grew up in to allow us to look through it...they were nice enough to allow it and it was fun to see it again but of course it looked different by then. But I still remember pretty well how it looked when I was growing up. This is a fun topic for me as sometimes I feel like I've forgotten so much and when we share it comes back. I wouldn't want to go back but those were simpler times and very good in some ways.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #243  

S/C/G: 184.7/165

Height: 5'4" (In my heyday, I was 5'6"...)

Wow -- I go out for a few hours and people start telling their stories! I guess that's what I do best too.
Rosey -- my son and husband went canoeing with the Scouts, in the Boundary Waters. It looked so beautiful and serene. And I thought I had what would be called a "primitive" childhood! I love that you used the word "biffies" because we either called it the "biffy" or the "cann". But we always had a car. My dad worked in a dairy for many years while I was a child -- he worked so hard to keep us fed and clothed and warm, and my mom was a workhouse as well. Remember the huge gardens, the weeding we kids did, the picking and canning, butchering day, gathering the eggs (I was scared of the pecking hens too; one day my mom sent me up to get the eggs, and after I'd been gone for 'way too long she sent my brother to look for me. I was praying rosaries at the nest of "old settie" who would never let us take her eggs and would always peck if you reached into her nest! I was so scared of that hen.) (Rosey, you must have loved the cold; you went from northern MN to AK!!)
Glynne -- a double burner! I love that expression and never heard it before! We had a triple burner!! Large, medium, and a little tiny hole a little elongated (for the little boys), on a tiny bench, just for the little ones! My dad built it himself of course, and remember that every few years it had to be relocated? Yuk. I remember once my dad dynamited a big rock out of what would be my mom's garden, and my little sister and I hid behind the biffy and peeked out to watch. Another rogue memory -- "swimming" in the irrigation ditch. That was always our biggest treat is we had gotten our chores done and were "behaving" ourselves. Walking very carefully in our bare feet through the wheat stubble to get "down to the ditch".
Laffalot, your summer sounds like mine. We were gone for almost eight weeks out of the summer, first on a road trip to PA, MD, NY to go to a wedding and then catch up with old friends, then another road trip to MT and WA for a few weeks. I was so happy to be home; we've only been home for three weeks now.
And Rie, I agree with you about the way we ate. Huge breakfasts, lighter "dinner" at noon, huge "supper" in the evening. But we worked and ran it all off; no weight problems for my parents or any of us kids in those days! And the food we did eat was so healthy, really. When Dad worked at the dairy, he used to bring home those big three-gallon pails of ice cream and we kids would sit at the table after dinner and just pass it around.
Does anyone remember "Mockingbird Hill"? It's a song I loved when I was a kid and I still think of my parents going for a walk after supper, over to the hill east of the house.
Marie, I've always been scared to death to try rollerblading. I'm just not that balanced. I've got to break out my beautiful bike now that we're home, and before winter sets in. I need a bike rack (trailer-hitch friendly) and don't want to spend the money. A year ago a woman ran a light in front of me, and totalled my car (and broke my sternum). My replacement car doesn't have a bike rack. I need to quit being so stingy with myself!
I hate grocery shopping too, but my husband loves it. The only problem is he brings home lots of stuff that I don't eat anymore -- big slabs of meat, for one thing. Pasta, soups, sauces, etc, from the $ Store, and some stuff that I think is questionable. Mostly, though, I really appreciate that he does it, and he certainly doesn't do ALL his shopping there. He likes to peruse the sale flyers on Wednesdays and then pick up the sale items at the grocery stores, and he'll always pick up anything I ask him to. I'm starting to shop more at health food stores, and that doesn't appeal to him, but I'll often stop at Sunflower on my way home and pick up fresh produce.
And Marie, it was Tom Cruise in Top Gun. He's gotten too big for his britches, in my humble opinion. And weird.
My weight loss journey continues apace... (I love that expression). It looks like I've lost another pound or so. I've been really enjoying my hikes, and I hope I can keep it up during the winter. Still agonizing over the Y membership -- to cancel or not to cancel?
I love the inspiration I get from seeing how well you guys are all doing!
Off to grab a little breakfast and hit the trail! My daughter Katie and I are going to a crafts show, and I want to get something for the little girl I sponsor in the Yucatan. Next spring I hope to be there for her 15th birthday, and I'm beginning Spanish clases this week. I've never been to Mexico.
Onward and upward (or downward, if we're talking about weight)!!!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:59 PM   #244  

S/C/G: 184.7/165

Height: 5'4" (In my heyday, I was 5'6"...)

[QUOTE=ladyinweighting;4037582]We did it!

13.1 miles in 3 hours and 45 minutes. I am sore and tired but PROUD!

HOORAY!!!
Old 09-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #245  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Congratulations Lynn ~ awesome ~ and we are proud of you!!
Old 09-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #246  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Not quite up to storytelling just yet, but wanted to say,

Way to GO, Lynn!!!!!! Congratulations!

I truly stand in awe. You are an amazing woman! Now, put your feet up, and sit for a while just grinning with pride. (I would). I am SO looking forward to meeting you, lady!

Z
Old 09-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #247  

OMG Lynn you are soooo awsome! wtg rosey
Old 09-19-2011, 03:47 AM   #248  
Darcy

S/C/G: 170.6/156.6/150

Height: 5' 7"

Hi everyone!

First of all, congratulations, Lynn, on an awesome accomplishment this weekeend! Hope the soreness eases up before long and that you are thoroughly basking in the joy of what you achieved -- you deserve to!

And secondly, I do apologize for the delay in being able to write to you all. I did have one night where I would have had PLENTY of time to write to you, but it was the result of a power outage so I had no way to communicate -figures! I live in San Diego, so we were some of the 5 million people left in the dark -- while some got power back within 7 hours or so, we were some of the last at the 12-hour mark. So, the kids played charades by flashlight, and we cooked some sausage and hashbrowns on the stove by the light of a flashlight as well to use them up since all stores were closed and we couldn't get ice and the fridge was warming up since it was also the 3rd day of a heat wave). The boys thought it was a great adventure, made even better when they announced all of the county's public schools would be closed the following day -- like a snow day at the beach. :-)

Once the power was restored, it was back to work for me (mine is all computer work) and there hasn't been a break since. Friday was also home opener for the high school football team on a brand new synthetic field with LIGHTS for the first itme in school history, and I had a 5-hour shift in the snack bar to raise funds for the band my son is in. Saturday was high school band night with a local college, so we were at the college football game for that, which is always great to see -- approx 1300 high school band members playing at halftime with the college band, after spending the day rehearsing together. It's colorful, the music is always great (someone at the college always writes a special piece for them to perform each year), and what a special opportunity for the high schoolers!

Anyway, school for the boys is going well and I'm slowly adjusting to life with 3 kids at 3 different schools -- and working once again doing lunch duty at the elementary school every day. I've been with the kindergarteners and helping them adjust to school, which is challenging but fun! And my middle son, the one with alopecia, did have a great first day and so far each day has been good for him. He got his card to carry with him and he showed it to each teacher -- a couple asked him to remove the hat before he had a chance to tell them, but they were fine after they knew, and so far kids haven't said anything to him. I want to thank all of you for your kindness and thoughtfulness in helping me to help him -- you are WONDERFUL!! I think he's leaning more towards just saying "I have alopecia" -- but he hasn't had to use it yet. This week they suit up for PE for the first time, so we'll see if he can change shirts without taking the hat off or not. He has been very proactive, though, and says he tries to tell teachers, etc. before they ask, which helps him be a little more inconspicious about it (i.e., with substitute teachers, etc.), which he thought to do by himself, so I'm really proud of him!

This is getting long, so I'll save other replies for another post. I'm going to try to log on in the mornings before I start working and see if I can work out some replies at that point, rather than waiting for the end of the day, in hopes I can become a more active member. :-)

Thank you again from the bottom of my heart for being so caring!
Old 09-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #249  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Quote:
We did it!
Quote:

13.1 miles in 3 hours and 45 minutes. I am sore and tired but PROUD!

Lynn
Be back later to chat, just wanted to congratulate Lynn....How ya feeling today? Stiff?

You'll have to tell us all about it, you must have dropped weight after that grueling run.
I started reading everyone's childhood and find it so interesting, be back later to finish.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 09-19-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #250  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueurban View Post
Sue checking in:
I just wandered down to the tomato patch to see if anything is ready to eat this.....
Sue
Oh Boy! Did this comment bring back the memories! When I was a kid, my mother was busy with a handicapped child, so she didn't have time to plant a garden. But when my brother was in his teens he took an interest and with the direction from a neighbor, we planted some tomato plants. I can remember picking up a salt shaker and going out to the garden and picking tomatoes and eating them right on the spot! I had forgotten about that until I read your comment! I would never do that now, eat them without washing them, but as a preteen I never gave a thought to the fact that bugs had crawled on them, etc. LOL
Old 09-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #251  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Lynn...we watched the Diane Sawyer show last night on bullies. DH called our DD and told her to have Lukas watch it. She snapped at him, said he wasn't a bully! As Lukas explains with, they made fun of him on Facebook was all. The kid they made fun of was in on the joke. DH said after he hung up the phone, see....I told you she'd snap my head off. (Mama bear protecting her cub)
Hope you have a good run today!
Nothing against your DD, but part of the problem with bullying is that the parents of the bully defend their child...turn their head and don't want to recognize that their child is the problem. If I did something like that as a child, I would remember it for a long, long time! It was in the news that one young girl committed suicide and the bully was actually the MOTHER of the girl who didn't like her.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #252  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2TCS View Post
Hi everyone!

And my middle son, the one with alopecia, did have a great first day and so far each day has been good for him. He got his card to carry with him and he showed it to each teacher -- a couple asked him to remove the hat before he had a chance to tell them, but they were fine after they knew, and so far kids haven't said anything to him. I want to thank all of you for your kindness and thoughtfulness in helping me to help him -- you are WONDERFUL!! I think he's leaning more towards just saying "I have alopecia" -- but he hasn't had to use it yet. This week they suit up for PE for the first time, so we'll see if he can change shirts without taking the hat off or not. He has been very proactive, though, and says he tries to tell teachers, etc. before they ask, which helps him be a little more inconspicious about it (i.e., with substitute teachers, etc.), which he thought to do by himself, so I'm really proud of him!
I'm so glad things are working out for your middle son. He might even get to the point where he will be comfortable taking the hat off altogether.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:00 PM   #253  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning GG's,

Congratulations Lynn! That is just too KULL!

Since we're talking backgrounds I guess I should add mine. I was born in a coal mining town. All the men worked in the mines, that's all there was. I didn't know any women who worked outside the home except one, who worked for the local Dr. She wasn't an RN but gave shots and i'm sure did a lot of other things to help. We lived next door to my mom's family. By next door, I mean I could see their house and could walk there. There was a huge field in between. My grandma had a huge family, 12 kids. There were 8 in my family, so lots of kids. I was the oldest and was 2 years younger than my aunt and 1 month older than my uncle. So they were my playmates growing up. We had a garden, but it was just for eating. We canned all summer, or so it seemed. If you ate, you worked. I remember pealing peaches on the front porch with the juice running down my arms. Hated it, but they sure were good in the winter time. We had an outhouse while I was little but got one of the first bathrooms. I do remember being bathed in a metal tub with water heated up in the kitchen. We had a wringer washer and with 8 kids there were loads of washing. I was the oldest, and a girl, so I had to learn to do laundry young. And iorning. We had a cow and pigs and chickens. I hated chickens too, I was always afraid of them. Still am, along with birds. I know, crazy. I had to do the churning too. Maybe that's why I don't like butter. The place has changed a lot, naturally, but most of the men, and some of the women now, work in the mines. I have a brother and a couple of nephue's who do. Nothing else to do there. Everyone that could got out as quickly as they could. It's a wonderful place to visit but I could never "go home again". Closest town is almost an hour away, along with the only hospital. And the hospital doesn't do chemo or dialysis.

Freda
Old 09-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #254  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

The stories about growing up ~ have brought back more memories. My mom had a ringer washer too, and I remember on Saturdays in the summer ~ helping mom with the wash and then handing her stuff out of the basket to hang on the line. It was an all day job. But I enjoyed it ~ we talked about all kinds of stuff while hanging the wash.

I don't think I could have gone back home either. I left to go to college and never went back there to live. I don't think I ever would have gotten married if I had stayed there ~ I only had one boyfriend in highschool ~ last part of my senior year, so I don't think there would have been anyone else who wanted me.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #255  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello Goldens!

I made it through the first day of the audit with no problems. It was actually an enjoyable day, although really busy. Tomorrow I have a really big board of directors meeting and more audit. Sigh, goes with the territory. Gs was sick today. This morning, as I was working out and studiously ignoring him while ds was in the shower, his little voice penetrated my brain saying, "grandma I am sick, blecchhhh." boy, that will bring a person to attention. I will tell you that the happy grandma part of me was perfectly happy to know that ds had to be on clean up duty. (bad grandma)

I am baking sole and a sweet potato for supper tonight. Bs has been a little low all day Trying to have low cals today, though because the guys are barbqueing tomorrow and there will be lots of food.

Gayle, anyone who couldn't recognise your sweet nature didn't deserve you. Sometimes we have to go away to meet new people.

Freda your description sounds alot like my mom's hometown, where I will go this week for work. Smack dab in the middle of the bakken oil fields, there was never anything there.....

Carol, we always ate the peas standing in the garden. Never preserved them, they were snack food while you were working.... I still don't worry about outdoor germs too much....

Hi Mom! Nice to have you back! So glad that your ds is coping well. I know that it is really difficult...

Sue, how was the craft show?

Sorry for everyone that I have missed. I have run out of time and I need to eat my supper. I will try to get back later. I am sure enjoying all the stories.

Here's one for you: Does anyone else remember a "mangler"? and ironing machine? Mom had one that she paid for by laundering sheets. She still irons today, crazy!

Rie

Closed Thread