3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > Age 50+

~~August Golden Girls~~

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 08:24 AM   #16

Height: 5'1"

good Morning GG's,

It is a lovely morning. It's still cool out and I took my first cup of coffee out to the patio and enjoyed all the newly bloomed flowers. I know that In a few hours the weather will be too hot to stick my nose out the door. My DGD will be here shortly, so I will be busy the rest of the day, but have lots of fun too.

Bobbi, I'm another person that loves rhubarb, and I'll copy the recipes to use later. I haven't made jam for awhile and I think maybe it's time again.

Donna, I too think that our kids are missing out on a lot of basic learning. What will they do if they lose their calculator? Or have to (OMG) write a letter and don't have their computer.

Rie, Welcome home. I know you need a vacation from your vacation, but you have 2 little ones that will have many happy memories for many years.

Z, I think 2 lb is awsome! I know we never lose quickly enough but every pound gone is gone! And it will show in so many ways.

Mary, I hope you had fun at your picnic. How did you manage? Find enough L/C food to eat?

Gayle, Take the time to take that coffee out on the patio and enjoy. You can do the work later.

Teati, Welcome! You will find lots of support here. We're a family and invite you to join. And I'm a nurse too. congrats on getting your masters. Do you want to get into management?

Karen3, Good to hear that you are out and about. It must be so great to have the control that driving gives you.

Marie, Got the packing done yet? I'm glad you got your doggies all set so you can go and not have a worry. Just concentrate on having fun!

Koala, OK, you're the boss today! Tell that eating demon to get away, stay away, you're in charge!!!

Nancy, did you manage to get out for awhile yesterday? You sounded restless. Did you get the storm?

Make it a good one,,,

Freda
Old 08-01-2011, 08:26 AM   #17

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR GAYLE, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAVE THE BEST ONE EVER!
Old 08-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #18

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Happy Birthday Gayle Happy Birthday to you
Old 08-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #19

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning!

I did my new dvd routine this morning. Gilad's beginners weightloss and toning. It came the day before I left and was waiting here for me to get back and get my rump moving again. It is pretty good. I thought it was too easy but I was dripping in sweat at the end. Nice easy routines, though, kinda like aerobic steps for dummies - perfect for me.

Freda, I was having coffee on my back steps this morning, too! There is something so nice about that time of day. It was kinda hard to get moving though, maybe I will work out first from now on....

Donna, one of my friends who has a rather bright son (scholarship to engineering school) was ranting a while ago about education. She came home to find that he had dutifully completed his graduation announcements. EXCEPT he had put the return address where the stamp is supposed to go! LOL She was sooo mad. Apparently he had never sent actual mail before.

Zoe, joining you in solidarity for the next little while. I think 2 pounds is great.

Mary, I hope that you enjoyed the picnic and the company. Overall, I know that you are always saying that you go over, but I think you have been doing well with your eating. How is your blood sugar doing?

Teati, Hello Darlin! Welcome. This is a really great group. Just jump on in.

Karen3, How is your day? Did you have a good weekend?

Lyn, hoping to hear a report about the cardboard boat race. You are always doing fun stuff.

Lynn, how was training? When is the race? I still need to go to your site and donate.

Koala, well it is the start of a new week. Didn't someone say here that calories on sunday don't count? Have a good week.

Marie, two days and counting! Yay!

Nancy. How many days are left? only a few, right? till you have your house back? I'll bet you can't wait.

Ok all, sorry if I missed anyone. Off to work. Toodles.

Rie
Old 08-01-2011, 11:03 AM   #20

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

GAYLE Happy Birthday to YOUUUUUU!
I just love smilies. LOL
Old 08-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #21
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All…
Gorgeous day this fine morning!

Rie – what a nice celebration in honor of Aunty Mildred! I’m glad you all did that… and I’m sure the old girl looked down on it and smiled! Sounds like she was a pip, my favorite kind of oldie! I hope you got rested up from your vacation!!!

PT/Zoe– I’m very proud of your tenacity and perseverance! Good going, girlie! Your food description of turkey burgers, etc. made my mouth water! YUMM!

Gayle -you always sound serene and calm when you’re talking about your grandkids… I think they’re good for you! I’ll be interested to hear what and how the new management changes things. When will this all start to happen? And happy birthday!… I thought it was Aug. 3, shared by Marie. Oops!

Freda - Did I ever tell you the story of the cashier at the local Burger King? She’s about 23, obviously from a mid-high income family. The computerized registers were out, and the poor girl could not figure out how much two value burgers ($1.00 each) and the tax ($.07 each) added, and, worse!, how to make change for that from $10.00. It was the most pathetic example of “new” education that I’ve ever seen; however, once the computer came back on, she was productive as can be! I fear for our future, even more than I’ve feared for it this past month while watching the imbeciles (close personal friends) preen and pander for the cameras. Sad, sad, sad state of affairs…

KoalaLou – Hi!

Teati – welcome. Have you another name you’d like us to call you?

Lyn – what about those cardboard races? Do tell!!

Marie – fate of the yellow Jeep? I know you’re aquiver about your trip and don’t care about the yellow Jeep, but WE do! Sounds like you’re the perfect go-to person for computer glitches! It sounds like your DH is currently active military? Are you a permanent posting there or what? Ooops, just read further and see that the yellow Jeep is all better!

I wonder if we’re chattier on 3FC because we’re so very chatty on the FB page? It seems to have opened up the floodgates.

Have an appointment this afternoon with the vascular surgeon for Granny/Mom. The results of the CT scan should be in, and I’m sure some sort of decision will be made about surgery. I had not-so-happy dreams about it last night, which means I’m more worried than I thought. Well, we’ll see.

The dinner playhouse outing was FAB! The setting, the food, and the play were all excellent AND I won two vouchers for free dessert for our next outing ($15.00 value… some GOOD dessert!), which was also a good thing! I had a really nice time. And I’m so glad it was no-calorie Sunday!!

Maybe I'll hear something about the job today, but probably tomorrow. I hate waiting... makes me very nervous!!
Better get rolling! Later, Lovelies!

Last edited by jess1 : 08-01-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #22
Lifelong Journey Member

OK, I know I'm getting old on Wednesday and sort of losing my marbles. Since I was so excited to know that Gayle and I shared the same b-day, I was worried when I saw b-day wishes for Gayle. So I went back to Facebook and clicked on Gayle's profile and am relieved my brain didn't warp. Lately my brain is playing hide and seek games with me and was relieved it hadn't forgotten something I read on Saturday. So I decided you're all playing a trick on us Leo's and aging us quicker than normal.

But... Happy Early Birthday Gayle! Way better than a belated one.
Marie
Old 08-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #23
Donna

I GOT THE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #24

Morning everyone. Happy Birthday Gayle hope you have an awsome day. Jess im so happy for you that you got the job wtg we had an awsome BQ theres nothing like family,kids and dogs having a good time. have agreat day rosey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 373.jpg (32.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 372.jpg (28.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 358.jpg (29.5 KB, 10 views)

I am enough!

Last edited by akrosey49 : 08-01-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:26 PM   #25

I had my fingers crossed Donna!!!
Old 08-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #26
Lifelong Journey Member

Koala, I love the wording that you weren't boss of your eating. I so can relate. I really hope it's not Christmas next week. I have a good few months without major holidays or celebrations to get myself the boss of my eating.

Freda, you made me LOL - literally since I never pack in advance. Besides we're only going to be gone 2 days. I can't forget too much for that short of a vacation.

Val, good job sweaty workout. That cream cheese brownie can't hold a candle to you.

Donna and Freda, so here's a story about math idiocy my DIL told me. She was making change for a customer at the coffee bar she worked at. She counted the change out for an older woman (50s she said) who started yelling at her (DIL) that there were 5 quarters to a dollar and that DIL was trying to rip her off. DIL stood there with her mouth dropped open. Stupidity doesn't know age boundaries.

Donna, DH was active duty and is now Air Natl Guard and full-time civil service doing his military job, including wearing the awful looking uniform. So he's permanently stationed here. Good thing because a crowbar would be needed to get me to move. The playhouse evening sounds delight and I hope Granny/Mom's appt goes well.

YEAH DONNA on getting the job!!!! They hired well!!!! :broc :I believe the smilies speak for themselves. Congratulations!

Last edited by Marie : 08-01-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #27

S/C/G: 185/155/140

Hi Everyone,

I found a new scrapbooking buddy. One of the women from my book discussion group went with me today. I REALLY hope she likes it and will continue to join me. I have never been a person who likes to do things by myself. About the only things I like to do alone are shopping and exercising. NOT movies, restaurants, scrapbooking.

I am going to visit my friend in South Jersey tomorrow. I just spoke with her and she is having a good day. Hopefully, she will be OK tomorrow.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you to those who have contributed to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society to support my September half-marathon. I am writing each of your names on my marathon shirt – they are already in my heart. You are VERY GOOD FRIENDS!

Zoe, your NSV reminded me of something that happened decades ago. I was with friends in a mall and they each got cookies to eat while we window shopped. I had just started a diet and I got an apple. I felt so proud of myself. Whenever I see those cookies in a mall, I think of that day and how I felt eating that apple. It was a REALLY good feeling and is still remembered after so many years. Hold onto your proud feelings – you earned them!

Bobbi,

I am going to try one of your rhubarb recipes. Thank you for sharing.

Teati,

WELCOME! So glad you came to join us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
- seems like rhubarb has been a constant in my life - strangely, I seem to enjoy it more as I get older. Most commonly, we have stewed apple and rhubarb - it's nice glooped over cereal for breakfast, or with custard for dessert. I make it with no sugar, and I add in some lemon zest and cinnamon for flavour. It's quite tart but I like that. The jam recipes sound d'lish.
Hi Koala,

Funny – my mother always loved rhubarb & I wouldn’t eat it. Actually, I haven’t tasted it in well over 50 years. My tastes have changed so much, I probably would like it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me View Post
Donna, I too think that our kids are missing out on a lot of basic learning. What will they do if they lose their calculator? Or have to (OMG) write a letter and don't have their computer.
Hi Freda,

Did you ever see one of those emails that lists the kinds of things elementary school children were taught in the last century? Today’s students would fail miserably. If I find one I will post it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemontana View Post
I did my new dvd routine this morning. Gilad's beginners weightloss and toning. It came the day before I left and was waiting here for me to get back and get my rump moving again. It is pretty good. I thought it was too easy but I was dripping in sweat at the end. Nice easy routines, though, kinda like aerobic steps for dummies - perfect for me.
Lynn, how was training? When is the race? I still need to go to your site and donate.
Hi Rie,

Those DVD’s are tough. Despite all my exercising, I have trouble keeping up with my Walking Away the Pounds DVD’s.

The half marathon is on September 18th. I have until August 15th to raise the funds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1 View Post

Freda - Did I ever tell you the story of the cashier at the local Burger King? She’s about 23, obviously from a mid-high income family. The computerized registers were out, and the poor girl could not figure out how much two value burgers ($1.00 each) and the tax ($.07 each) added, and, worse!, how to make change for that from $10.00. It was the most pathetic example of “new” education that I’ve ever seen; however, once the computer came back on, she was productive as can be! I fear for our future, even more than I’ve feared for it this past month while watching the imbeciles (close personal friends) preen and pander for the cameras. Sad, sad, sad state of affairs…

Hi Donna,

I see this all the time when I give enough change to avoid getting back pennies. For example, handing the cashier $1.01 for a bill of $.76. Unless the cash register tells them to give me a quarter, they don’t have a clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
OK, I know I'm getting old on Wednesday and sort of losing my marbles. Since I was so excited to know that Gayle and I shared the same b-day, I was worried when I saw b-day wishes for Gayle. So I went back to Facebook and clicked on Gayle's profile and am relieved my brain didn't warp. Lately my brain is playing hide and seek games with me and was relieved it hadn't forgotten something I read on Saturday. So I decided you're all playing a trick on us Leo's and aging us quicker than normal.
Hi Marie,

My fault! Sorry – I just checked out birthday list (up in the sticky area). No Gayle on 8/1. However, we did miss Karen 3’s birthday on 7/28. So ….

Karen, Happy Belated Birthday Dear Karen,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1 View Post
I GOT THE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Donna,

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Happy for you! WONDERFUL!!!! I aM dOiNg ThE HaPpY dAnCe………(I am also uncrossing my fingers – NO LUCK INVOLVED – pure wonderfulness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrosey49 View Post
we had an awsome BQ theres nothing like family,kids and dogs having a good time. have agreat day rosey
Hi Rosey,

Great photos. The love and caring in your family comes through in your pics.

Last edited by ladyinweighting : 08-01-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #28

S/C/G: 185/155/140

Default Golden Girls Birthday List

Up in the sticky area is a post for Golden Girls Birthdays. If you have not done so, please post a reply to that message with your birthday. Jane will add yours to our list.

Lynn
Old 08-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #29

For those who have a sweet tooth like me...I also love salty and sweet together! I haven't tried it yet, I'm afraid I might eat them all i one setting!
Found this one Chelle's blog at http://blog.recipeforfitness.com

Chelle's Protein Pretzel-Pudding Bites
Recipe by Chelle Stafford

Pretzel Shells

1 cup Annie's Organic Pretzel Bunnies, pulsed into small pieces/flour (I used a mini food processor, a little $10 deal from WalMart). It will look powdery with little chunks of pretzel.

1 egg white

1 scoop chocolate protein powder (my scoop = 1/3 cup)

enough water to moisten the mix

Preheat oven to 350
Spray mini muffin tin w/ coconut oil
Mix ingredients in a medium bowl until pasty.
Press into muffin tin, into the bottoms of the wells and up the sides forming a "bowl".
Bake 7 minutes.
Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.

Protein Pudding:
1 scoop chocolate protein powder (my scoop = 1/3 cup)

3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk, chocolate *you can sub water for almond milk if you need to. The less liquid you use, the thicker your set pudding will be.

1 tsp natural peanut butter

8 drops liquid Stevia (*optional)
Mix in a blender/magic bullet.
Chill in a small bowl or cup until the pretzel cups are ready.
When pretzel cups are cooled completely, spoon pudding into cups. There will be some left over.
Put filled cups on a plate or in a container and cover (saran wrap or a lid is fine).
Chill until pudding is set.
The photo here shows them 'unset'. Once they've chilled for a few hours, they're a solid, fabulous fudgy pudding. There isn't a second photo showing them "finished" because they disappeared too quick!

Recipe makes 12.
Nutrition Data per Pudding Bite: 52 calories, 5 g protein, 5 g carb, 1 g fat, 118 mg sodium, 0 sugars.

TIPS...
I use this protein pudding all the time! For my training meals 2 & 4, this is the go-to treat. I mix up the protein powder, almond butter (or whatever fat I'm using, if I'm using one), and either water or almond milk then chill it overnight. Jello™ has NOTHING on my pudding, folks! This stuff is the bomb! :-)
Old 08-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #30
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 4' 11 1/2"

Good evening GG's,

Thank everyone for the birthday wishes ~ no matter that they are early (yes Marie ~ it is actually the 3rd) ~ it is very much appreciated.

One day down ~ three to go. It was a pretty good day. Went a little over, but not to badly.

Lynn ~ glad you found a friend to scrap book with ~ that makes it more fun.

Donna ~ congratulations on the job. So excited for you

Marie ~ your trip and BD is almost upon you ~ have a wonderful time.

Rosey ~ glad your family had a fun time ~ loved the pictures

Rie ~ way to go with the exercise and being back on plan.

Freda ~ your morning coffee on the patio and the flowers and cool weather sounds heavenly

Koala-Lou ~ good for you getting back on plan after the weekend.

Zoe ~ sewing is fun. I have been doing it since I was a kid. Made my own things. When the kids were little ~ made stuff for them. Now the grandkids. Girls stuff is more fun than boys stuff ~ but I wanted to make something for Corbin when he was younger, so made him Scooby Doo and Harry Potter pajamas. I made Maddie a cute little dress, but she is funny about stuff ~ she likes them more ruffly that that one was, so she only wore it a couple times. She likes this latest one I made better. The one I worked on this weekend, I think she will really like it ~ it is mother daughter dresses. Sara thought she'd get a kick out of having a dress like Mommy.

Teati ~ Medina is not too far from where I grew up.

NC Nancy ~ what is the count now ~ must not be too many days left now until you can do a happy dance

Bobbi and Mary ~ thank you for sharing the recipes ~ they sound yummy.

Well, I'd better quit fooling around and head to bed shortly. I know I am leaving some of you out ~ not intentional ~ just ran out of time.

Hope you all rest well.

Take care

ETA: This is the dress Maddie didn't like as much
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG01509.jpg (21.5 KB, 12 views)

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance. (From Karen31's post)

Last edited by glynne : 08-01-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.