Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #331  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Lyn, sounds like you had an active day. Great job. And the blueberries. Fresh BBs are so incredible.I like them by the handful. Nothing needs to be added. You're lucky to have access to them.

Gayle, great jog escaping from work without having to stay late. I always consider an on-tim exit from my office a great way to start the best half of the day.

Donna, if you're computer isn't letting you download programs, I'd say you're on the last legs with it. I'd save all your docs on an external HD. Just the docs so any lingering virus stays away and then it's time to rebuild. You definitely don't have to buy new. Just use those installation disks that came with your computer.

Rie, smart thinking to schedule a hair appt on the same day as a dr. appt. You'll do great at the weigh in and having a professional wash your hair is one of life's best pleasures. I hope your joint pain disappears and you have a great day.

Freda, after losing your long post, I'm so impressed you wrote a 2nd long one. When that's happened to me, I give up for the day and just wave hi.And the Wheatie's comment to Lyn was hilarious.

Koala, I'm a make everything from scratch as well. I have severe peanut and soy allergies (a few others but not like those two) and it is amazing how many food processors make their stuff around those two. I make my own bread, my own pasta, marinara, pretty much everything. If it's semi-easy to make it, I make it. Also, my annual Costco renewal came in the mail yesterday. I'm very undecided as to whether I'm going to renew. So far I'm think no. I love their produce but it is 78 miles away. I buy my pet food and dog gloucosime from them, as well as cheese (I freeze) and supplements (iron). I don't think it outweighs the $100 annual fee.

Lynn, great job on the brisk 6 mile walk. That's great. Will fast walking get you the times you need?

Hi Tea!

Donna, I don't like Lisa Scottoline's writing either. I thought there was something wrong with me for not liking it. I'm listening to Lisa Gardner's DD Warren series and I've enjoyed them. I've listened to 1,2, and 5. Currently listening to #3.

Zoe, I have those high caloric days covered for you. Great job on Day 1 of your Wendie plan.

Nothing new in my life. I'm trying to figure out how DH and I can go to SF for my b-day with the way I have doggie care. Kai Pixie is hypo-glycemic and has seizures if her blood sugar goes too low. She needs to be fed throughout the day (and night if I would get up more often). So I'm trying to figure this out. At this point, I'd rather not go. Even rollercoasters on my 50th aren't worth worrying about her non-stop.
Marie

Old 07-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #332  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Hi all....just checking in. Son and DGD are here. I am not hosting much and they are making out just fine. Had the sonagram yesterday and this tech was rough and my chest hurt afterwards. Then had home health nurse checking my coumadin levels and with cardiologisy gone and GP in change the levels are better! Am getting better, just slower than I want. Boy that quote has spread.....got it on an email this morning.....too weary to do personals matbe later k3
Old 07-19-2011, 03:14 PM   #333  

Morning everyone..i was so over tired i couldnt nap but fell asleep about 10pm like i was bonked in the head with a brick.i feel better today.yes i hope i helped my great nieces in small ways,like i said im an old fashioned grma and believe hugs work magic. my neice has custody of the girls,the girls dad was her youngest brother.Lynn i had 3 incidents in my life where i injured my back,after yrs of wgt problems it finally gave out,i had surg but a bone spear damaged my spine and my legs are paralyzed from the knees down. then my wound wouldnt heal and i got mersa. almost didnt make it but i had lots of angels and a stubborn spirit that got me on my feet again.. everyday is a joy for me cuz im here! My dh brother is here visting from san diego,and his sister will be here next week, and my grson and sil are coming tonite to go dipnet fishing for salmon.soooo i will be busy again. i love it tho. on that note i have exciting news to share i did it -101# i can move my ticker, thankyou everyone for your encouragement couldnt do it with out yah rosey
Old 07-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #334  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

yes! wow Rosey k3
Old 07-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #335  
lynard

S/C/G: 214/206/180

Height: 5'9"

Congratulations, Rosie!!!
Old 07-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #336  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Wow Rosey! Amazing shrinking woman! I am so happy for you and so proud of you!

Good news at the dr today. I will be back later.

Rie
Old 07-19-2011, 08:46 PM   #337  

S/C/G: 250/142/150

Height: 5'4"

Hey GGs,
Well, I’m starting to feel like a fraud. After writing to you all about my depression, yesterday & today I’ve felt pretty cheerful. And I know the St. John’s Wort wouldn’t work that fast! Whatever is working, I’ll take it. And hope it lasts! Maybe I was too quick to ignore KarenFL’s quote, & this was all about DSD. Yesterday I found out she’s going back to school on August 8 (that’s a week earlier than I was expecting!). Possibly that accounts for my improved mood??!! I really, really hope so, but I’m going to wait awhile before I consider myself “cured”.

I really appreciate all the support from all of you! It feels good to know I’m not the only one that’s had to deal with this. And to hear how good those that have are doing now! It’s wonderful to have you guys “understand”, when the people around me just didn’t seem to “get it”. THANKS! Maybe that’s what made me feel so much better, not DSD’s imminent departure!

Marie, you mentioned your suicidal thoughts when you were depressed. I’ve had them at various times (I was actually shocked when I found out there are people that have never had them!). But, there’s no way I could ever act on them. I’m too “anal”! First I’d have to find a method that’s painless, & not messy, & foolproof. Then I’d have to thoroughly research it. Then there’d be figuring out where to do it, & who would find me, oh & of course there’d be the note, & etc., etc., etc……. Waaay too much trouble!

Before I forget, Lynn I’ve been wanting to thank you for your suggestion of eating at Panera Bread. We do have one near here, & now you’ve convinced me to try it. It sounds so good I might not be able to wait until our next “mother/daughters lunch” - that’s 3 weeks away! I’m constantly amazed at how much walking (& running) you do! Sorry it’s so rough on your knee.

KarenFL, so glad you’re getting better, even though it’s not as fast as you’d like. I’m sure it’s nice for you to have your DS & DGD there. I’ve been forgetting to tell you, last week, when I went to the library, I saw your son’s book. It was on a display of new books in the middle of the library. I was so excited. I wanted to tell everyone “I know the author’s mother!” (but I didn’t). So, I can just imagine how proud you must be!

Poor Rie. Sorry about your pain this morning. Hope your appointments went good. Have you heard from your friend, Sean, yet?

Donna, as I said before, I really appreciate all the support. It’s hard to believe that so many of us GGs struggle, or have struggled, with these feelings of despair. And it’s scary how close that dark hole of complete withdrawal can get.

Zoe, sounds like you’re off to a great start, on your first day of “boot camp”. Attagirl!

Yay! Yay! Yay! Rosey! We knew you could do it! You’re such an inspiration. And not just for your weight loss, but also for the way you manage to find such joy in life! After all you’ve been through, you always seem happy.

There are so many more things I want to say, & I know I’ve missed so many of you (sorry!), but I'm out of time! I’ve got to get out of here. Too many things to do before bedtime!
NCNancy
Old 07-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #338  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

YAY!!! Rosey!!! You make me want to jump up and down and do the HAPPY DANCE with you!!
Old 07-19-2011, 10:28 PM   #339  

Height: 5'1"

Way to go Rosie!!!! I'm so proud of you!
Old 07-19-2011, 10:34 PM   #340  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hello Golden Girls!

Well, I would like to report on my dr appointment today. In september last year, I was diagnosed with diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesteral, and questionable kidney issues. (my kidneys were spilling massive amounts of protein.) Today, BP = 110/70, A1c 5.0 = not even "prediabetic" reading, cholesteral 165, and my kidneys are no longer giving abnormal readings. My doctor did an actual happy dance in the office. Seriously, he did this: I was really happy. He called me his "incredible shrinking patient" and wanted to talk to me about fishing. LOL

BTW, he asked me questions about how I have been living. I presented him with my book that has a weekly food, blood sugar and excercise diary - every week since september 3, 2010. Then, I told him about my friends on 3FC. He said, "[I][B]Three Fat Chicks?? Really Val?"[I][B]then, he started laughing like crazy. He kept giggling and telling me that he was so glad that I came to his office that terrible day when I was diagnosed. (I sat in his office and cried for 2 hours- the poor man couldn't get rid of me He said, "who would have ever thought that I am happy when I see your name on the chart?"! I really think that he thinks that I made up 3FC. Oh, well, I owe the guy a laugh, right? a good doctor is hard to find.

Anyway, sorry about my long brag - I was just happy and it was an actual fun dr appt. BTW, you guys have really helped me to become more healthy. Thanks.

Nancy, so good to hear you having a good day. I think it will be a real boost for you to have your home back to yourself and your guy. Give yourself a break, though if you find yourself feeling blue again. We are here for you!

Rosey, again, I am so proud of your accomplishment. Every time I hear your story I am in awe. You go girl. And your attitude inspires me!

Karen3, I am so glad that your GP is getting you back in order. Enjoy the visit and keep hanging in there. Today I shared the quote with my hairdresser and he said, I know, I got it off facebook. I was irritated - I attribute it to you

Marie, I hope you get your birthday plans worked out. Is there anyway to do a dogfriendly trip? At any rate, I will be waiting to hear about your plans. I think it is cool that you make so much from scratch. It saves a massive amount of money, too.

Zoe, good job on the plan. Your plate sounds wonderful. I have become a big believer in the presentation aspect of food. Son is really into that, also, and I think it is an important aspect of appreciating our food. 900 calories is a tiny amount but I am glad that you felt satisfied.

Donna, I hope that you did the sheets today. I love sheets in from the line. It always lifts my spirits to crawl into them at night.

Lynn, our training maven. Keep icing that knee and training. I am glad that you have settled on walking. Good plan.

Hi Tea Granny!

Koala, herbs are pretty easy. I have chives, lemon grass and basil. They are pretty in little clay pots on the window sill and they transfer easily from outside to indoors in the winter.

Hello Freda, Lyn, Gayle and anyone else I missed. Sorry for such a long post, I feel chatty tonight.

Rie
Old 07-19-2011, 11:06 PM   #341  

Hello everyone! It has been a busy day but a nice day! We found a 5th wheel rv that we like and ended up buying it. It is a 2006 so it isn't new but has been very well taken care of. That took up our mornng. Then this afternoon I didn't do much at all. My brother (my real estate agent) showed the house this morning while we were gone. He texted me while we were on our way back and said "showing went very well, anticipate an offer." Haven't heard anything more on that. We have decided that if it isn't under contract by Aug. 1 we will be taking it off the market! AND we will not budge one penny off of our asking price. I know that sounds weird but if someone wants it, they are going to have to want it bad enough to give us full price because I'm not all that excited about selling it now. Still would be nice to have a place that is a little more modern but.....I kind of like it and with time we can make it like we want it--- I know I am so "Wishy washy" About half of the inheritance I got from my Dad I used to fix the pool from the ugly hole in the ground it was when we bought the house and I'm pretty OK with staying here. Tim agrees with me so that is where we stand on that.

Marie-- have you checked out Petsmart---they have "pet motels" where the pets have their own rooms with TV, their own yards, and even a Skype phone that you can call and see how they are doing and talk to them. Some of them are really pretty nice. I have never left mine there because they are small enough I sneak them in to motels or we have the rv to keep them in. Even when we went to Branson I took their crates and when we left them in the room at the motel to go to eat or to the shows we put them inside them. That way if a maid should open the door they wouldn't run out. Just thought that I would mention that. But I know what you mean-- between Ginger and Sissy they have two small suit cases, one with their food, dishes, and their meds to take if it ends up being thundering or they get the cough like some little dogs get, and one with grooming items. I thought the diaper bags were bad when my kids were small!! HA!!! And of course we have to have some toys!!

Sounds like everyone is doing good. Nancy so glad to hear that you are feeling better. We worry about all of us you know!!

Everyone have a good night and I know I have missed people but know that I'm thinking of you too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4131.jpg (36.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 07-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #342  

Rie-- I just saw your post! So Happy for you and your fantastic report from the Dr.!!! That is awesome news!! You must still be doing the Happy dance!!! Wonderful!!!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:42 PM   #343  

Finally made it here...it's been a busy but pleasant day. We started out the day by going to my dh's Retirees club brunch. I had my breakfast mini-meal as soon as I got up as I knew I wouldn't be eating for at least two hours. Then at the brunch I think I did pretty well considering it was a restaurant...I had a small salad (2 t. Ranch dressing only) and I ordered a bowl of tomato basil soup and only ate about 1/2. Easy to limit myself as I didn't care for the soup that much. I did have a couple crackers which was against my rules but since I didn't care for the soup, that was my consolation. We did a little shopping at Costco, Home Depot and Hallmark. At the brunch we found out one of our friends passed away very recently, so we stopped for a card for his wife. We didn't see him often but he was a nice guy and we will miss him. I remembered that yesterday was my brother's birthday...he is 86, so I called him and we had a nice chat. I was tempted too much by some cherries I bought the other day...kept grabbing them throughout the day. At dinner I had a sausage, bean, tomato soup which also included onions, garlic and spinach. I served it with salad. All this would have been fine except I suddenly felt very hungry and ate way too much! I did the same thing yesterday...but yesterday I thought, ok, it was weigh-in day, and it's ok to have one splurge day but tomorrow I'll be back on track. So I'm very disappointed I messed up again tonight! But hopefully I'll be able to get back on track tomorrow. I feel better when I eat less even if I am a little hungry. It's just my emotions I think...yesterday I was a little upset about a family matter. Instead of handling it appropriately I made myself feel better with food...will I ever learn!?! But today I felt better so not sure why I did it again..not as bad, but still too much food..I guess it's just my inner child ...I don't like the rules even if I'm the one setting them and I just have to rebel!

Rie - Loved the story about your doctor..LOL Made me think of a surgeon I had a few years ago...he was a young guy (young enough to be my kid)! My dh and I were in his office for a post-surgery check and they were playing music and he comes in and is moving to the music as he talks to me. Never had another doctor do that and I had to laugh, but he was the best surgeon I've ever had. I love it when they show us they are also very human.

Rie, I am SO happy and proud of how well you have done!! You are another that inspires me so much...actually all you GGs are my inspiration! You show me I am not alone, that it can be done, and that there is so much reason to do it in terms of health and looking better....Thank you all!! And you can all feel free to give me a talking to for how I never stick it out and really get it done!

Rosey- You are another great inspiration!! I am SO happy for you!! You have gone through so much and are still so sunny and kind! I can learn a lot from you!

Nancy - I'm so glad you are feeling better...even your post sounds more like you again! I too have had bouts of depression so understand. It has always been my faith...prayer and Bible reading that has gotten me through in the long run (I too often turn to food first). But when I read the Psalms and see how King David poured out his heart to God...all his complaining and sorta ranting and raving...I know that God will understand when I do it too. LOL I don't feel comfortable venting all my feelings sometimes to others and my dh is a great guy but he's not a talker or a good listener. So if I go on too long he just ignores me. ;-) Can't really blame him and in the long run it's probably good for me as I turn to a higher source. That said I'm not at all against using a supplement or meds if they are needed.

Zoe - GFY at being so disciplined! The funny thing is that I'm really not any hungrier (or any less satisfied) when I do limit myself to a small amount as when I pig out! And yet I will get to thinking I am so deprived (poor me!) and think I am so hungry that I just have to eat. Just wondering if others feel this way too or it's just me. I really feel better physically and emotionally when I am more disciplined and don't overeat.

Lyn - I looked up your author's name in amazon and I'm planning on buying at least one of her books. I think it is The Faithful Place. I have it in my cart now but I belong to a survey group where I earn a $10 GC for Amazon ever so often so I'm just waiting for that to buy. Not that I need another book...I can't believe how many books I have waiting to be read right now!!

Hope you all have a wonderful evening and get a good rest tonight!

Last edited by maryea; 07-19-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:13 AM   #344  

S/C/G: 106.8/93.8/65kg

Height: 169cm

Hello GGs

Rie - sorry to hear you woke up with aches and pains, but what an awesome appointment at the doc's! It must be fantastic to feel so in control of your health. WTG! Your herb garden sounds great!

Lynn - you continue to amaze me with your feats of endurance - 6 miles WOW I agree this group is very sharing and heartfelt, it's such a special group Too true - it's the difficult books that stay with you - have you read "We need to talk about Kevin"? Everyone in bookclub still shudders when they think about that book, but it provoked the best discussion. Thanks for the info on B&N (I'm guessing Barnes & Noble?) and Amazon.

Tea Granny - hello!

Donna - sorry to see you are having a bleah day. I hope you turned it into a "mental health" day and spent the entire day hanging out with SamCat, in your jammies, reading a nice book and looking forward to sheets that smell of the sun. Bliss

Z - WTG on day 1 of boot camp. I think it's a good idea to mix it up and keep your body guessing. Your dinner of tomatoes, corn and spinach would have looked so vibrant and inviting - yum! As your self-nominated buddy (I hope that's OK?), I've pretty much stuck to plan today - mainly because I was flat out like a lizard drinking at work and no time to stray off plan No wii today, too shattered.

Marie - oh noes, it would be too terrible if you missed out on your trip to SF. I hope you can work something out so you can have a wonderful time, knowing your preciouses are being well looked after. Severe allergies are pretty scary - mine are not life threatening, just inconvenient. I'm guessing US marinara is different to AUS - for us, a marinara sauce goes on pasta and is a tomatoey sauce with all sorts of seafood, fish, prawns (shrimp), mussels, squid etc. It sounds like you have to be a pretty dedicated shopper to get the best out of a membership at Costco.

Karen3 - good to see you are still improving, despite some setbacks. Hope you are having a good visit with your DS and DGD. Very exciting that your quote has gone viral

Rosey - you are an inspiration to triumph over so many serious health issues, and still keep your sunny caring attitude. YAY on breaking through the 100# barrier - that is an outstanding effort

NCNancy - very good to hear that you are feeling more your usual self.

Karen31 - never a dull moment for you! The new RV will take you on many happy trails, I'm sure.

Mary - good on you staying close to your plan during a very busy day. Having a bit extra of a healthy dinner has got to be a good option. The old emotional eating gets me every time - I wish I was one of those people who sheds weight when they are upset
Old 07-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #345  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's,

Two days down ~ two to go. Wasn't so lucky last night ~ another late night ~ 2 hours over. Frustrating. I wish I could put my foot down and say no more ~ but I am scared that they would just find some other "dummy" who would do it ~ no complaints ~ and I would be out a job. Gotta keep reminding myself I am glad to have a job/this job. Repeat to self........

It's looking sunny this morning. Love sunny days. Could do with out the heat and humidity ~ thank goodness for air conditioning.

Well, I'd better quit fooling around and do some more getting ready.

Hope you all have a nice day.

Take care
Closed Thread