Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #121  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All..
KarenFL – how was your night? Did you end up going to the ER? I hope you were able to get a “sooner” apptment with the cardiologist, too…….. BE WELL!

KarenMO – I definitely vote for the “group” idea, if we do a FB site. So, how do we get started? I’d also like it if it was private, just for GGs, because we’ll be posting pictures primarily, it seems… and those are no one else’s business! Lynn, would you be willing to participate in this limited way?

Rosey – OMG, you have a PUPPY!!! I think I’ll wait until she’s a bit older before I invite Sadie to come to live with me! It looks like she had a fine, fine time shredding everything in sight. I’m sure Daisy just stood by, wringing her paws in horror!

Nancy – your tomatoes and flowers seem to be doing very well, in spite of you! I finally gave up on my hanging strawberry thingie. I’d get little buds, little bitty fruits, then… they’d harden up and flake away. I’m certain that I’m doing something wrong, because I DO have a black thumb!! I probably won’t repeat that experiment.

Mary – hi! I hope you’re feeling better about things today. I know (I do!, because I was a good wife, too) how hard it is to try to please someone and have the efforts diminished. It would at least put your mind at ease if you could talk to your DH’s doc about this. Maybe there’s a simple fix… I hope! BTW, was his broccoli-stir fry good? I’m sure you gave him lots of praise and encouragement to continue with his culinary endeavors!

Rie – yes, I do know that “crone” is a term of respect… and I also know that it’s a term for cranky and cantankerous curmudgeons of the female persuasion (LOL)!

TeaGranny – hola! How’s your son doing?

Gayle – your words on the FB idea are good. Yes, it would be nice when/if the GG site is misbehaving! Hope your headache got better… speaking of which, Bobbi, how are YOU doing??

PT/Zoe – glad you got your dilemma under control, at least for this time! And, as Marie so wisely noted, you’re one day closer to retirement!

Marie – we had a long and very fun discussion a while back on the merits of the Southern “bless your heart” response to people like your nasty stroller person. FYI, it basically means, as a substitution, “(insert words that would get me bleeped)”. In her defense, though, maybe she’s from Denver, where we have the most rude, most entitled pedestrians and bicyclists in the world! I have evil fantasies regarding both groups! Terrible people!

KarenMO – I’m heading for the new FB page after I post this. Thank you!!!!

Koala – you’re already a valued member! I’m thoroughly enjoying your posts! Is Koala your given name, as a curiosity?

I'm off to check the new FB page... and I'm sure I'll be back momentarily with a lot of idiotic questions! Later, lovelies!

Last edited by jess1; 07-06-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 250/142/150

Height: 5'4"

KarenMO,
I don't know how to do much more than post comments. I think you're doing great, & we'll all figure out the rest of this FB thing together!

Donna, about the strawberries - I read somewhere that the first year's fruit is never very good?? Or maybe it was just the first berries on the plant? I'm sure one of the gardeners here would know. Ideas anyone? So maybe you shouldn't give up yet.

Have to get ready, the lawn mower part SO bought last night didn't fit, so we have to return it & get (hopefully) the right one. After, we're headed to the Chinese buffet! Last week I lost back the 3 lbs. I'd gained the week before, but I expect I'll "find" them again this week. That's ok, since this is our vacation (staycation) week. Back OP next week!

Bye now,
NCNancy
Old 07-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

OK Bobbi, I just found you on Facebook and I sent you a friend request. As soon as you accept that I can add you to the group.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #124  

I'm going to add a bit more here that I am finding out about the SECRET GROUP SETTING

Certain groups on Facebook are secret and will not appear in search results. You cannot request to join these. Only being added by an existing member will give you access to these groups.

How do I add new members to a group?

To add members to your group, go to the group and click "Add Friends to Group" in the right column. From there, you will be able to type your friends' names to add them to the group.

For all types of groups (open, closed and secret), group members can add their friends. Other people can request to join an open or closed group and be confirmed by a group admin.

I hope that kind of makes sense as to the privacy settings.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:01 PM   #125  

Height: 5'3"

Karen31 I'd set FB up as secure as you can and keep it to just members as even with my taking precautions I have had people get into my page that shouldn't and use emails etc. I had to change my password once because of this. I love FB and use it daily for communicating with my family and friends but you do have to look carefully at your settings now and then to make sure you are as secure as you want to be. I will visit your page after I get done here.

We just got back from the gym where we did our usual. I took the exercise mat I won and used it in the stretch class. My instuctor liked it. I like it because now I don't have to use theirs and have to wipe it down afterwards. Yesterday was a very lazy day for me ...I think I was still feeling a little discouraged about the cooking thing and needed some space from all my housewifely duties...but I really don't like unproductive days because they generally leave me feeling worse than ever, so hopefully I'll do better today. Last night's stir-fry was ok, but a little too salty. Before I had even tasted it he admitted that he used too much soy sauce, LOL! He is usually a good cook, but at times he does overdo on the sodium. He also likes a sauce on everything and this sometimes spoils the veggies for me. I like my veggies steamed, or lightly sauteed ...with not too much oil or sauce....and still a bit crunchy. And this is one of his complaints about my cooking is that I don't make sauce or not enough. I do try but I don't feel all recipes should be the same. But really I do like his cooking most of the time and I always tell him how good it is. Many, many times he has cooked when after I had a baby or surgery and I definitely appreciate his helpfulness.

Nancy - hope you don't "find" those pounds..I've found enough for us all I think! Last night I told myself I am going to start using the eating plan my diabetic nutritionist gave me when I was first diagnosed. So far so good today.

Cindy - I have learned to always make sure I have water with me when I walk. It is easy to become dehydrated even when it is not that warm. I know how it is to say yes automatically to foods...I often do that too, just don't think.

Rie - I agree about the Skinny Cow bars (and ice cream!). I really like them. The ice cream has a little more carbs than I should have I think but otherwise they are ok. I was excited when I discovered the bars though as they are just right ..well for now and then when I need a chocolate fix. Rie I have to be careful cause I'm that way with white and sugar stuff...it sets me off to eat more and more.

Glynne - I love how kids can fall asleep so easily sometimes. I wish I were like that. I have been doing better with my sleeping recently though, but it's been a lot of years since I slept "like a baby!" Strange too...when I was younger and raising kids, I would lay a week planning, or worrying...I now almost never do that, but now it's hot flashes and pain or sometimes I don't know what it is. GFY with the peach! I'm the same way...it is rare I can stop eating...always think I have to finish whatever it is...but I am doing better with that too. Baby steps, baby steps...we will get there!

Zoe - I never liked exercise until about after I retired! I didn't even bike like you do. How I got started was using exercise videos (knew i needed to do something as I was getting so fat but didn't want to go to a gym). I started learning proper technique and began to kinda enjoy the exercises. My dh was already going to the gym but he was always into exercise so I dismissed it as "his thing." But he kept telling me how there was a senior class and lots of women just like me, so I finally got interested and decided to attend the senior class. I loved it and was easily the most aggressive person in the class (maybe because I was also one of the youngest!). From there I started taking a boomer stretch class and now work-out with dh in the machine room. Never thought I'd feel comfortable doing that but I'm getting more comfortable with it and enjoy it. I also really enjoy walking outside but we only do that when we travel. We are never too old to try new things and attitudes can change too...so try different things and find out what you enjoy and then go for it! Glad things worked out with the job issues.

Koala - I think we have to find an eating plan we can live with and for me that will include some sweets. I just have to learn to keep them small. For me too timing is very important...given my druthers I'd eat all day long! Esp easy to do since I'm retired! But even when I was working, I'd come home and eat all evening or if I worked swing, I'd eat a lot before I finally went to bed. So I have to actually force myself ..sometimes I set a timer...to make sure I don't eat too soon after a meal! I hope I can get past this in time.

Well, I'm off to check the FB page. Oh first before I friend you, do you want me to set up a new FB page of my own? Because if I don't you will see my regular one..and maybe you don't want to see all my friends and non-3FC friends?

Last edited by maryea; 07-06-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #126  

Maryea. You don't need to set up a separate page. That is just too much work and then you would have multiple accounts to watch.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #127  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Afternoon....what a crazy day I've had. Last night was better, not great but better. Gained 1lb today and lasix not working. Had appt with new GP and that started out slow. Then he got cooking. One Rx is for lemon drops re dry mouth. Then put me on a flat table and stretched my legs and twisted my legs to stretch my spine. Scared the heck out of me but actually I feel much better. Did lab work and ekg. Changed my meds and recommended walking for exercise, told him the I miss my pool and the surgeon said no pool until 7/11. This doc said use the pool what the surgeon doesn't know won't hurt him. I was going in asap but my bra made insision oozy so will go in later or first thing in the am. The stretching should help me lay down on a bed.....can't wait for that. Then we stopped with Rxs at drugstore and I went in and shopped all over. From lounge chair lizard to mobile is amazing!

Read all the messages here and on FB.....Will do personnals tomorrow. For some reason I'm pooped. k3

ps I SWAM!

Last edited by Karen3; 07-06-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #128  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

Today was a GREAT day! My ultrasound was really quick, I went to a park with my DD & SIL for the day, when I got home, I had received my Presidential Medal (bronze) for my exercising, and one of my neighbors gave me a check for $40 toward my LLS marathon. So far, I have raised $320. Just $1,000 to go!

Right now it is POURING - was really sunny all day.

Karen, so glad to read about your progress. With everything going on, your weight is sure to fluxuate. If you are taking diuretics, ask Dr. about taking potassium or be sure to eat a bannana every day.

Everyone have a great rest of your day,

Lynn

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 07-06-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:29 PM   #129  

Hi everyone. Karen3 its so nice to see you getting back to normal,and not lost your wonderful humor.Lynn congrats on your medal,thats awsome.Karen31 i'll check out fb thanks for setting it up for us. Zoe am glad you got the outcome u wanted at work.maryea sry you feel bad about your cooking,sounds like you are working it out tho.if my dh complains about what i cook i tell him theres a resturant 2 miles from here lol.Jess i would have gladly sent sadie to you this am.. she was up at 5 am and i forget shes a baby only 8 weeks old as shes so big,and why is it the dh doesnt hear her.. sigh like when my girls were babies,but he does bring me flowers. so my dh had another surprise for me. i think he was feelinga bit guilty and when he and sil and grs where in carls jr this weekend a lady came in with 2 tiny puppies one in each shirt pocket..yup he bought me one,thought id like that better than diamonds so next week we will have 2 puppies his and hers. mine is a toy long haired chiwawah(sp?) ive seen pics of him and hes so cute.m going to be busier lol.good thing i like puppies.hello and to all i missed.hope your evenings awsome.rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 07-06-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #130  

Hi GG's,

worked and then the kiddies were over and spent the night, this morning at Curves. But, here I am again. Kiddies are spending the night again tonight and I work tomorrow so I figured I better get on her now while I still could.

Karen, thanks for the facebook page. I think it will be interesting.

Karen3, So good to see you up and at-um again. Hope this new Doc works out. Seems like my kind of guy. And I'm sure they added K but if they didn't, listen to Lynn.

Marie, A few years ago my mom stopped eating a lot of things that she had eaten forever. Like meat. and lots of other things too. Just said that she didn't like the taste any more. I don't know the cause, but maybe your husband is having the same thing?

Gayle, Sorry to hear about your DS's ear problems. I hope the biotics work quickly.

Rosie, 2 new babies? Oh wow. It's hard to train one. You are in for a wild time.

Lynn, sounds like you had a really good day. Many more coming...

Nancy, sound like the weight fluctation is just your body adjusting to your new weight. It's very hard to stay at the same weight every day.

Jess, I've never grown strawberries in a jar before, but if they are planted outside you pinch off the buds the first year. Maybe the same thing?

Tea, I hope your son is doing well. You too.

Z, looks like you have a busy time ahead. All fun stuff though.

Rie, so cool that you got to take you grandma to see a pool hall before she died. Something my grandma would have done too. She was one "with it" chickey. Always knew everything and loved everyone, especially her family.

Marie, the term "bless her heart" is a south thing. You can say anything you want to about a person if you start or end it with "bless her heart. Such as "she is such a b----, bless her heart". so next time you encounter those people just "bless their hearts"

Koala, so glad you joined our group.

freda
Old 07-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #131  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Donna...I put strawberries in last year, all the berries were tiny. This year the same thing, tiny and not worth picking. I leave them for the birds.
A couple of weeks ago I asked the nursery where I purchased them what gives? She said strawberries don't get big until the 3 or 4th year. She also said people that grow strawberries for a living plant some every year. That way they always have berries big enough to harvest. It sounds like your berries are drying out, not enough water. If you have them in constant sun, put them where they also get some shade.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #132  

S/C/G: 106.8/93.8/65kg

Height: 169cm

Hello GGs

Another good day OP for me - I'm sure being part of such a supportive group is 99% of my motivation, so thank you GGs The wii and I continue our toxic relationship - I was stupidly pleased when I got a good enough score for the little mii to jump for joy! The kittens and I had a nice walk, and then we went to visit my 94 year old neighbour. The kittehs love visiting their surrogate Nana and have a busy time checking out all their favourite places in her house, like leaping up the wall and stopping the pendulum on her clock, trying to attack her owl ornament, and batting the flowers in her dried flower arrangement, to name a few! I know it's time to leave when my nerves start to get frayed ...

Gayle - good to hear that your headache is better. Your son sounds like he is in the wars with his ear - and he would have been sore at both ends with the ear being swollen as well as a jab in the behind, poor guy WTG on recognising when you have had enough and stopping eating - I don't think I could have done that for any of the yummies you mentioned It's so nice to hear about kids having great experiences with their grandparents - your Maddie and Marie's DGS.

Karen31 - thank you for setting up the FB page, I will check it out to see if I can join up - sooooon!

Cindy Gail - great effort on the walk. Hope you are feeling back in form today.

Rie - Your morning routine sounds wonderful, time to linger over your coffee - bliss! That would have put you in the right frame of mind to tackle the wii! LOL at your story about your GS - reminds me of when I played Monopoly with my friend's 9 year old. I condescendingly thought to myself I would let the kid win. Turns out the kid was an absolute shark and I had to really think fast so I didn't lose by too much!! Sounds like you're another one who gets the carbo-blahs.

Bobbi - *waves* hope you had a good day!

Z - what a busy year of milestones coming up for your family - the next few months will feel like a rollercoaster ride of good times! I do like that you keep your feet on the ground and only expect iced tea - some people would accept nothing less than being fed peeled grapes, tee hee! It's nice you enjoy my posts in the morning - I look forward to settling in for the evening and reading about all the GGs daily goings on

Donna - LOL at your description of "bless your heart" - I'll know to watch out if "bless your heart" is said to me OTOH we tend to say "bless" when someone likeable says or does something really dumb! Lou is a shortened version of my given name - I put Koala as my user name as I've loved koalas since I was really little. I've still got Koki my toy koala from when I was a baby, even though his head is just about falling off and he's got a few bald patches. I'm a sort of apple shape, which is a bit similar to a koala shape! My avatar is my kitten, Mungo, climbing a gumtree and I thought he looked a bit like a koala!

NCNancy - hope you get the lawnmower sorted. I hear you on the lbs finding you again. Still, you know what works for you to get rid of them. I read somewhere that if you think of "losing" weight, in your subconscious if you "lose" anything (including unwanted kilos) you want to find it again. They suggest to think of "setting free" the kilos (or for US lbs) to trick your subconscious into not wanting to find the little blighters. I reckon it's worth a try to change my mindset.

Mary - The evening munchies are my horror time too! I like your description of gradually building up to exercise so that you enjoy each stage - I'm a bit of an all or nothing sort of person and I get disheartened when my abilities in no way match what I think I should be achieving. I hope you don't get offended but I had a little chuckle when I read your description of DH's stir fry being too salty for you - I thought of the song "you say tom-ah-to, I say tom-ay-to"

Karen3 - what a busy day - no wonder you are pooped! Yay on the swim - it's so nice being in the water after surgery, it makes you feel so buoyant and supported. Maybe you will be able to sleep in your bed again if you surround yourself with lots of pillows?

Lynn - all good news from you! Congrats on the Presidential Medal, and I'm sure you will get there with the marathon.

Rosey - another puppy?!! Wow - you will know you're alive with so many furbabies bouncing around the house.

Freda - it's all go go go with you, I'm pooped just reading your schedule!

Cheers!
Old 07-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #133  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Good morning, Everyone,

Sitting here waiting for my AC friends to arrive. I am still hanging onto those 2 lbs I gained on vacation. My calorie intake is so low these days, I can’t think of a way to get rid of them. Maybe a couple of days of Atkins-type eating will jog them loose. I will give it a try & let you know.¬

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrosey49 View Post
so my dh had another surprise for me. i think he was feelinga bit guilty and when he and sil and grs where in carls jr this weekend a lady came in with 2 tiny puppies one in each shirt pocket..yup he bought me one,thought id like that better than diamonds so next week we will have 2 puppies his and hers. mine is a toy long haired chiwawah(sp?) ive seen pics of him and hes so cute.m going to be busier lol.good thing i like puppies.hello and to all i missed.hope your evenings awsome.rosey
Hi Rosey,

I’d pick a puppy over a diamond any day of the week. What a GREAT gift!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me View Post
Marie, the term "bless her heart" is a south thing. You can say anything you want to about a person if you start or end it with "bless her heart. Such as "she is such a b----, bless her heart". so next time you encounter those people just "bless their hearts"
freda
Hi Freda,

The northern version is “her heart is in the right place.” Example – “She can’t do anything right, but her heart is in the right place.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
Donna...I put strawberries in last year, all the berries were tiny. This year the same thing, tiny and not worth picking. I leave them for the birds.
A couple of weeks ago I asked the nursery where I purchased them what gives? She said strawberries don't get big until the 3 or 4th year. She also said people that grow strawberries for a living plant some every year. That way they always have berries big enough to harvest. It sounds like your berries are drying out, not enough water. If you have them in constant sun, put them where they also get some shade.
Hi Bobbi,

Hmmm – how many foods do you grow? How big is your farm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
I like your description of gradually building up to exercise so that you enjoy each stage - I'm a bit of an all or nothing sort of person and I get disheartened when my abilities in no way match what I think I should be achieving.
Hi Koala,

I also build up VERY slowly. The training schedule for the marathon is in such small increments that the distance is achieved by just about everyone. For me, the timing is more the issue. I added running to my walking in 5 second increments. I started with adding 45 seconds of running every 10 minutes. Every time I walk the treadmill, I add 5 more seconds of running and reduce the walking by 5 seconds. Right now, I am up to 8 minutes & 45 seconds of walking to 75 seconds of running. My goal is to get to 8 minutes walking/2 minutes running by next week.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #134  

Good Morning! I had to change my ticker in the wrong direction this morning!! It showed exactly 166 on my wii this morning! That isdefintely not good!! Not having anymore cookouts for awhile-- not any birthdays coming up soon so it is time to get this back under control!! Me and my Wii are going to have to become "best buds" again!!

We showed the house again last night, or a realtor did. We drove around a little then I just said lets go over and park near the house then when they leave we can just go in. They were here for 45 minutes. Didn't hear any feedback though.

Then yesterday evening a couple came and looked at the Cadillac, darn it! And they are supposed to be bringing a check over for it this morning! I tried to convince them the Edge was better--- they didn't seem to think so! LOL!! But I will watch for another Cadillac--I really would like to get the SRX since it is the SUV and is AWD. But guess we will have to see if we get the Edge sold too. Or maybe a decent trade in. You would think that with 18,000 cars being destroyed by the tornado that more people would be interested. Oh and the people that are buying the Cadillac are not tornado victims.

Well, guess I'd better get going. It is a coo, rainy day today here. Take care everyone and have a great day!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #135  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...
I had my long posting on Word, and the computer glitched, and I lost it all. I don't have the energy to do it all again, sorry!

I have to go walker shopping with Granny/Mom today. Both of my local sibs are "too busy" and so it falls to me again. My brother doesn't even want to be around her, because she's so nasty and mean. I'm getting very tired of all of this, and I wonder who is going to be there when I need help? I know, I know... I'll be sitting on the curb with a 45-year-old cat! (whine)

Nancy, Bobbi, and Freda - thanks for the strawberry wisdom. I had no idea... and I think that I am depriving them of water, although I do water frequently. I wonder how to manage them over the winter, since they're in a hanging container thingie? (Please, Winter, come quickly!!)

Lou - thanks for the name! Mungo is wonderful! What's the other name?

Rosey - OMG, TWO puppies! Your Sadie will squash the new one! And how is Daisy coping? I wonder if it'll be an odd-man out situation or if all three will play together? Your house will be a disaster area for the next year! (I'd rather have diamonds than a puppy... although I do like DOGS).

Gotta run! Hope you all have a good day!!

Last edited by jess1; 07-07-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Closed Thread