Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #46  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

We finally got some much needed rain this afternoon. We are not having fireworks here this year because it has been so dry ~ they fear it might start fires.

I had good intentions to work some more on my continuing education stuff, but ended up visiting by phone with my friend Betsy in Kansas City and then my sister in Kentucky. Because of our different work schedules, it is sometimes hard to get to connect, so I hated to not visit when them when it finally worked out that we had time at the same time.

Then, my DH wanted help putting up some twinkle lights (those rope light things) that he had found on sale ~ on the deck out back.

So, now here it is 8:30 pm ~ not feeling much like tackling the ed stuff now at this hour.

I have enjoyed seeing the pictures you all have shared of your homes. Like one of you mentioned ~ when I see your posts, I can mentally picture each one of you doing something at your house.

We have for our TV service the Direct TV satelite. One of the features of the machine, is that it somehow connects with your computer and puts the pictures you have on it, on the TV like a slide show. It has been fun watching the pictures of my family go by this evening.

Sometime when DH gets a chance, I hope he can figure out how to scan pictures (our old photos) and get them on the computer, then they also would be on that slide show on the TV ~ that would be so cool.

I'll put on some pictures of where I live.

Take care

Last edited by glynne; 07-02-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #47  
Want to feel better

Ok, here is where I live. I think our house is like 20 years old ~ we have been here for about 6 years now. We bought this house in an unusual way. DH had gotten fed up with his job. He and our DD Sara were talking one weekend and one thing led to another. She had been trying to get us to move down by her. They began looking at houses on-line. It is cool how now-a-days, you can go to a web site and see pictures of the houses inside and out. Steve found some he liked, and Sara physically went to see them. She told him which ones she thought were nice or were ones she thought we would like. So, we bought this house and never saw it in person first ~ only the pictures on line and Sara's description. It turned out pretty good. We like it here.

The first picture is the front of the house. The second picture is the deck out back and some of the back yard. The third picture is the back yard from another angle. The second picture was before my husband got down here and took over the yard work. The third picture is after he was here and he added new rocks to the stone paths and made it look real nice. Our back yard doesn't have a lawn or any place to play ~ it is all plants and stuff. And there is this kind of little pond thing with rocks and water comes out like a waterfall. Makes it enjoyable and relaxing to sit on the deck and listen to that.

He does all the yard work (retired, so he has time) he hates yard work, but works really hard at it and keeps it looking nice.

I probably won't post pictures of the inside. It is pretty in some places, and not so much in othe places. Mainly because there is no basement or attic or storage areas, we have had to use rooms that were meant for one purpose and use them for a different purpose. We are not entertainers, so no one is ever here except family and they know our eccentricities and accept us as we are. The dining room has a treadmill, eliptical and recumbent exercise bike as well as shelving on two walls that is like a giant pantry/storage area for boxes. Not very pretty, but it is functional. The dining room table is in what is actually the living room. It is covered totally with DH's coupons. That room also doubles as my husband's office/computer space, and more shelving that has boxes that would go in an attic if we had one. I am hoping that someday I will have time to get those boxes gone through and eliminate some of that stuff. No time right now though. Then what should be the master bedroom, is his living room ~ with his TV and stuff. (How we are able to live together and get along ~ his and hers spaces ~ LOL)

Sorry this ended up so long ~ I don't seem to have the ability to tell about things in any kind of brief way. Thank you for reading.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front of house 2.jpg (36.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0374.jpg (60.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0617.jpg (58.3 KB, 18 views)
Old 07-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Bobbi. I like your house too! Tim came in and said where is that house.. we should go and look at it!! We are constantly looking at houses on the internet! I love how your lawn looks so nice--ours is kind of brown right now since it has been so dry! I'd like to get things to make it look more "me" but someday--- either here or the next place.

Gayle, Your house is beautiful too. We looked at one here that was very similar in looks to yours. I love brick! I always thought it would be safer in a tornado but after the tornado came through here last month I don't think it matters if you are in a brick house or a mobilehome! But I do like the idea of having a basement just in case....

Well, I spent most of the afternoon "goofing off" in the pool today and then came in and had a shower and just kind of kicking back and relaxing. Going to meet family tomorrow for church then have them over in the afternoon for swimming. We only got up to 102 today!! The water temp was 94 this afternoon.... kind of like jumping in a big bath tub!!!

Have a good night everyone. Will catch you tomorrow
Old 07-02-2011, 11:11 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 171/160/120

Height: 5 feet- if I really stretch

Hi GG's. Well my son is back home from the hospital- he had the head of the femur screwed back on. His pelvis held together thank goodness. He will be non-wieght bearing again for at least 8 weeks and then back to the learning to walk again stage. Pretty discouraging for him-but could have been so much worse.
I am enjoying all of the house pictures- I'll have to get motivated and post some. Our house is 101 years old and we have been renovating/restoring it since we bought it in 1994. Love it dearly! Not much to report on the weight loss front-apparently stalled again- but I know that I can out wait the plateau, Sigh....
Have a good evening and long weekend
Old 07-02-2011, 11:30 PM   #50  

Tea, glad to hear the news on your son. Hope he takes it easy and doesn't try to do too much too soon. Sometimes it is hard to make men follow directions! Hmmmm. I'm anxious to see pictures of your house. Ours was built in 1940 so it is pretty old. It is pretty sound though so if we stay here I know it will be OK and I really do like the house too. Just thought we would test the waters so to speak. Not anything yet. We may let it go to the end of the month and if nothing then take it off the market and just stay here and do the fixup the way we want it. I think I would miss my "woman cave" too!!
Old 07-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #51  

Hi everyone.. i loved seeing everyones homes.arent we all so lucky not only having nice homes that suit out personal style but also we've got each other. Im pooped. it was a fast trip to Homer and im sry i couldnt take pictures as Homer is truly a beautiful and quiant town with mountains and ocean and boats, it was pouring rain and foggy the whole day. we did see the puppies,10 of them running around,8weeks old..so hard to pick but of course we did. Her name is Sadie. and Daisy is tolerating her,but my grandpuppy my dd dog snapped and bit she didnt like Sadie at all.My dd and sil and grandsons went out of Homer halibutt fishing and are coming back with 100# of fish..all ican say is yummo.its my favorite.nothing else new. Karenfl it so nice to see you getting back to your old self tea im sry for your son and hope he heals well and fast. for all and happy weekend rosey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 146.jpg (25.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 141.jpg (25.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 152.jpg (25.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 151.jpg (30.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 153.jpg (29.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 07-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #52  
Want to feel better

It has been fun visiting each of your areas of the country ~ and seeing what it is like there.

It has gotten me to thinking about the different places I have lived. I was born and grew up in Ohio. Got married and moved to Maine. Lived in the upstairs of someone's house fixed over as an apartment, then bought our first house. Then moved to a different house in the same town. We got an opportunity to live on a lake. (Karen MO and I had a small world connection as she had been to the same lake I lived on but at a different time.) Then we moved to Kansas City, Missouri. Then on to Greensboro, NC and now here.

Just for the fun of it I typed in the address of our first house into the search and found that it is up for sale. They had pictures and all ~ they have made a lot of changes since we lived there. I think I liked it better how it was when we were there. It was an old house ~ something like 90 years when we lived there.

Then I typed in the address of the other places we had lived. If those places were not for sale at the time ~ there were no pictures, but an ariel view. Kind of interesting.

Guess I should quit fooling around and start heading to bed ~ gotta quit procrastinating and get some of that continuing education stuff done tomorrow.

Hope you all rest well tonight.

Take care
Old 07-02-2011, 11:49 PM   #53  
Want to feel better

Rosey ~ I love the picture of you and Sadie. Awwwwwww ~ She has such a cute puppy face.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:49 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 250/142/150

Height: 5'4"

Hey GGs,
I stopped by on my way to bed, & I've been here an hour & a half! Three pages of posts already! And it's just barely the third day of July! Anyway, I was here. Got to go to bed!

Oh, here is a pic of my kitchen right after we painted the cabinets (pink & green, of course!), 2 yrs. ago. (Hasn't been that uncluttered since.) And a pic of me in my "patriotic outfit" for the 4th. I'll try to do more pics when I have more time.

Goodnight now.

NCNancy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kitchen 2 003.jpg (23.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Fourth of July 2011 013.jpg (46.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-03-2011, 01:14 AM   #55  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

KarenFL, you house is beautiful and I loved the picture of the canal as well. Thank you for posting your journey over the past month. I’m so sorry you went through all that. I’m glad you’re recovering and I pray you stay on that recovery path for a long time – at least for the new valve warranty!

Mary, how awesome it is that you like your son’s girlfriend. Several of us on this board has difficulties with our children’s significant others.

Rie, I saw the headlines for the spill and can’t imagine that incredibly beautiful river contaminated. The Yellowstone is so magnificent. I hope they find a quick, thorough way to clean it. I love older homes like yours. They always have a story to tell. And either you were tricky with your camera to hide the scruffiness or I just don’t see it.

Lynn, I hope you enjoy the play. I bet it will be a blast to see it outdoors. And enjoy your bi-annual potato salad.

Mary, Karen31 posted the link to shrink pictures so that 3FC attachment specs work. I do love our space. There were times in the military that we lived in cities and we’re both nature, lots of space people. Our property fits us perfectly.

Zoë, I hope your weekend is great!

Karen31, I was so excited when I saw your pictures and you have a fence between your house and your pool. When I told DH what we were going to do, he had a sick look on his face. He totally understood but it isn’t pretty. I’ve thought of trying to put a couple lightweight flower boxes on them somehow.

Lyn, some day we’ll all take you up on your open invitation. What a fun trip that would be if we had a GG get together.

Bobbi, my dogs shed like crazy. When we pulled the carpet out only four years after building the house, the subflooring was disgusting. Wood is so much easier to clean. Your house is nearly as pretty as your gardening. In the summer, you live in green paradise. Since I’ve lived in MN a good chunk of my life, I know in the winter, you have white yuckiness.

OK, DH, DD and DGS finished their movie and it’s bedtime. I’ll finish personals tomorrow. I’m exhausted. Guests are wonderful but tiring.
Marie
Old 07-03-2011, 08:26 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 106.8/93.8/65kg

Height: 169cm

Dear GGs

I hope it's OK to join your lovely supportive group. I have been lurking for a little while - trying to get my head in the right space for yet another battle in my long and ongoing war against the bulge. I briefly joined the 40s support group early last year, however I proceeded to spend most of the year on the "see food and eat it" diet and 10kg (about 22lb) that I had painstakingly lost found me again. Not happy Jan. Now I'm back to strict city. I've been pretty much on plan for the past week so I feel I've got a bit of credibility and I'm ready to be a committed member of the GGs. I bought a wii fit today as my yoga class has been cancelled for 3 weeks (our yogi has gone to Sydney to await the arrival of her 2nd grand child, which is very exciting for her). The wii sort of groans and winces when I get on the balance board - which is a bit disconcerting. Not to mention, I'm so terrible at all the activities that the little mii looks very sad and hangs its head down at my score. There's already a lot of room for improvement in my relationship with the wii

A little about me - my life has worked that I don't have a partner or children. I have two chocolate Burmese kittens who are my babeez (I think in the USA the color is champagne - not that it matters as chocolate and champagne are two of my favourite food groups It's good to see so many of the GGs are besotted with their pets - some like minded people! I have a very busy social life - which leads to my major challenge: balancing a healthy lifestyle with the frequent social activities that always seem to include yummy, but off plan, food. I'm hoping that being a member of a supportive group will turn up the volume on the voice of my conscience when I'm faced with temptation and encourage me to make good choices. Maybe you will be my Jiminy Crickets?

Happy 4th of July to those of you in the USA!
Old 07-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #57  

Good Morning! It is a Beautiful Day here already 76 degrees and I love it! We are going to church this morning with some family and then will be meeting at Maria's Mexican Restaurant for lunch. Later in the afternoon I have some family coming over for an early birthday for my younger brother. His birthday is the 4th, but some family can't make it over at that time so decided to a little celebration today. So the pool will get a lot of use today and tomorrow for sure! Although I spent 2 1/2 hours in it yesterday and loved it!

Koala, Welcome! Just pukk up a chair and jump in! We are all on this road together. I also have a wii and it still moans and groans when I get on it!! But I love it. I need to get back into a regular routine with it but I really think it helps a lot. I also bought the Zumba for the wii...but haven't opened it yet--I initially wanted to use it as a reward for when I get down to 150...it looks like a lot of fun and have heard so many fun things about it.

Anyway, wanted to say Goodmorning so guess I'd better get moving and get a few things done and be ready for the day!!

Have a Wonderful Day!!
Old 07-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynard21 View Post
Hi Bella, welcome. I used to live in upstate NY, near Rochester. A year ago moved to Cape Cod. Weather is picture perfect here too. Happy fourth everyone.

I swam in the Cape Cod bay today and the water was just perfect. Lots and lots of tourists have descended upon us too.

Tea - sorry to hear about your son's broken hip. sending quick recovery thoughts your way.

Bobbi - WOW!!! You must have put hours and hours of gardening love and care into that paradise of yours. Loved the photos. Would love to sit in that rocker in the shade garden and bliss out.

A big Happy July to everyone else. I'm off to bed now.
my dad is from Rochester, I am in the Corning area!
Old 07-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #59  
Want to feel better

Good morning GG's,

It is a nice sunny day here. Supposed to be up in the 100's again today.

My son is here this morning. He is having a run of bad luck. He had a bad infection in his arm and had to miss several days of work. It got better thankfully and he was to return to work today. He woke up this morning and his ear was swollen shut (he is hearing impaired and wears hearing aids in both ears). So he is not able to work again because he can't wear the hearing aid ~ this creates a safety issue at work. He is having throbbing pain in his ear. He is all stressed out ~ how bad this looks to be calling in after he has already missed days and to boot to have to call in on a holiday weekend. When this ear infection happens, he has to go to the dr and they vacuum out his ear. Why does this stuff always happen when the dr's office is closed ~ they won't be back till Tuesday ~ if they even have an opening that day. I don't understand why an ER couldn't help or an urgent care place. But he says he has been through this before and the only help they can offer him at those places is something for pain until he can get into his ear doctor. Please God ~ answer some prayers for Jason.

On a more positive note, my neice (single mom/college student) has been struggling ~ she had been working for a dr and his wife ~ doing house work and stuff. They kept having to cut her hours and she was struggling financially and feeling very stressed and all. She was able to get another job yesterday. So things should be looking up for her finally. It is a big relief to my sister ~ who was trying to help her, and is having her own financial struggles. Wish I could win a big lottery and help all my family who are struggling financially.

Ok, gotta get started on the continuing ed stuff.

Hope you all are having a wonderful weekend.

Take care
Old 07-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #60  

Me again!! I thought that this was cute to share on Sunday morning!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cartoon0001.jpg (49.6 KB, 8 views)
Closed Thread