3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   ~~July Golden Girls~~ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/236973-%7E%7Ejuly-golden-girls%7E%7E.html)

glynne 07-30-2011 09:28 AM

Good morning GG's,

Zoe ~ have a wonderful day at the beach. And awesome job passing by the chineese food. You're doing great.

Marie ~ my husband often times would hire older workers ~ he felt that they had a better work ethic than younger ones.

Yippee ~ days off. I'm hoping to get the sundress for Sara and matching little one for Maddie done today. I must confess ~ they are really easy ~ don't take much time. You buy this piece of cloth ~ that stretchy part that goes across the bust/chest is already done like that. All you have to do then is sew a straight seam up the back and then add some ribbon for straps and it is done. This one for Maddie will take a little more time ~ it is from the same cloth of Sara's, but is adult length, so I have to cut some off and make it shorter. Have to figure where to cut it, so I don't lose the pretty border, then reattach the piece. Sara said she thought Maddie would get a kick out of having a dress to match Mama's dress.

Headed out to weight watchers in a bit. I anticipate that the scale will probably go up ~ I have been only semi good this week. Sometimes I am supprised though ~ I will feel like I haven't done very well and it turns out better than I thought it would. I used to weigh every day. I had read that people who were successful at losing weight and keeping it off ~ weigh every day. It helps me if I see the number go down ~ to keep on course. But if I have been giving it my all, and the number goes up, I am too easliy discouraged and end up feel like ~ I tried hard and it went up ~ why bother and then eat out of frustration. So, now I don't weigh myself at home ~ just get weighed at the weight watchers. I go along assuming that if I am trying I am losing and keep trying. That way I only get discouraged one time. I guess it is not a one size fits all kind of thing ~ each of us has to do (the weighing thing) what ever works best for us.

Have a good weekend everyone.

lynard21 07-30-2011 09:48 AM

HAPPY WEEKEND EVERYONE. My DH and I are going to a cardboard boat race today - I am the photographer. The weather is picture-perfect. Last year my DH and i were in the race and our boat sunk halfway around. It sunk in the back where i was sitting. It is a lot of fun - on the Bass River.

So happy beaching (Z) BBQ ing (Rosie) and travelling over mountains. KarenFl just have to say great on your swimming!!!

Lyn

Bobbolink 07-30-2011 11:34 AM

Zoe...I don't buy books, I frequent the library. I'd be broke if I had to buy books since I read so much.
Quote:

Bobbi, don’t you just HATE it when the publishers do that???? Bring out an old book with a new cover and trick you into buying it all over again?

Marie...I've never read a book on my pc, where do you go? I don't have a kindle, too tight to buy books. I'm a huge free library fan.

Quote:

Bobbi, never forget your computer to read on when you don’t have a book. I like Amazon Kindle for Mac (the PC version is great as well) and its great when I want to read and don’t have a book.

jess1 07-30-2011 12:12 PM

Good Morning, All…
Ooh, pretty morning!

MKaren – I loved Steve Irwin, too! And I think his little girl is just fabulous… what a presence she has already!

Freda – from your lips to the hiring person’s ears! I don’t expect to hear anything until Tuesday, since she’s off on Monday.

PT/Zoe – I hope your ocean weekend works out… you need it! I’m thinking good thoughts re: your dreaded damn scale… And my heart broke that you had, eiuuu, ick, pea soup when the others were indulging in, yummmm, eggrolls, crab-cheese wontons, and other really terrible Chinese food! I fully expect you to snap, though... and we'll be hearing about you and your UZI, lacy thongs on your head, mowing down all those reprobates blissfully munching CALORIES!!

Rosey – hope the outing tomorrow goes well. I’m hoping that MIL remembers everyone, so that no one has hurt feelings. I know the food will be wonderful! I’m sure Gizmo is fighting the harness. Even those little poopers think they rule the roost, don’t they?

Lynn – it sounds like you got good results? Now what, with the GI stuff?

Mary – your GDG’s wedding sounds fun! I love the “casual” weddings, because my favorite fleece is appropriate! I’d be in complete angst if I were attending Zoe’s DS' bash!

KarenFL – your post was wonderful… so YOU. I’m glad you’re feeling better. You’ve been such a worry to us all, and it’s great to read that you’re doing much better. You never did lose that sense of humor, though!

Marie – what’s this rebate check from Costco??? I’ll bet you’re agog and aquiver over your b’day trip!

Lyn – is cardboard boating really cardboard? It sounds entertaining!! I’ll enjoy seeing some pictures!

Bobbi – here’s a link for Kindle on PC:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...l_68gf1oywpl_b

I have it, but I don’t use it much. I don’t like trying to read that much on the computer; it bothers my eyes, I think. But there are many titles that are free… just play with the site, and it’ll hopefully be user friendly for you.

KoalaLou, TeaGranny, anyone I missed – Hola!

Nothing on the agenda today. I’ve been running amok all week, so I’m looking forward to a bit of gorking (lazing) today.

Have a good Saturday, Everyone! :hug:

Bobbolink 07-30-2011 12:55 PM

Donna...cheap skate here wants to know if you have to pay for the books after downloading the web site you gave me?

jess1 07-30-2011 01:03 PM

Bobbi, a lot of the books are free. I couldn't remember exactly how to do it, so I asked my friend:
Hola my friend,

What I do is go to amazon.com and then go to the book dept. in the search bar, then type in kindle free books and a list of free and not free will appear. When you choose the book you want click on it and when that page appears to the right will be a bar that says "buy now with one click" and click on it. Another page will appear and then you just follow the directions. You'll get an e-mail statement that will just say it was free. The list of free downloads was limited this time. See what you can find and let me know. It seems when I was downloading free books the list was endless but then again my remembery is not so good.

maryea 07-30-2011 04:06 PM

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. The sun is shining my dh is working in the yard as usual. I'm still working on the computer and daily stuff. I was so hoping to get back on track with my eating but I messed up again last night and my weight was way up today. It's probably been gradually coming up while we were away and eating in restaurants. So far I'm on track today..breakfast was 1/2 can Slim-Fast, am snack was two egg whites and a slice of whole grain bread. My meals are later today so won't have lunch until mid afternoon.

I'm going to clean my bathroom and then go out to shop for the wedding couple. I think I know what I'm going to get them so shouldn't take long. I'm not much of a shopper any more.

Jess - I get the free downloads from amazon too. I think I have only paid for one. I have the kindle for pc but would like an ereader for traveling. I have 30+ books downloaded now but haven't read any of them. I still have too many hard copy books to read and I prefer them to sitting here reading the computer. But I can't turn down a free book that sounds interesting in any form!

Bobbi - no there are free books but you go through the order process and it will show as an order with $0.00 in the price area.

Lyn - Sounds like a fun day...have fun!

Zoe - Glad you stayed OP even eating out! I know it's not always easy.

Karen3 - Glad you are now able to drive again! So often in my life I have not had a car and I would sometimes ask for it for the day even if I knew Id be staying home. Dh couldn't understand but I told him it just makes me feel better knowing I can get out if I want too!

Well, gotta run..

Bobbolink 07-30-2011 05:44 PM

Thanks for the free book information and instructions. I don't have time to do it now, DH has the grilled started up and I have to get some zucchini ready for him. He grills it, yum!

ladyinweighting 07-30-2011 05:54 PM

Hi Everyone,

A new snack idea – yogurt “Whips” frozen. They are around 150 calories, but taste really good frozen.

I need help with chicken. How do you fix boneless/skinless chicken so that it doesn’t get all dried out and tough?

I found a cream of chicken soup that is 98% fat free & I want to have it with steamed veggies and brown rice.

Lynn

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryea (Post 3962799)
Hello everyone! It was good to be home in our own bed and I got a pretty good sleep.

Hi Mary,

I have a sleep number bed and RARELY get a good night’s sleep away from home. However, on my trip to NC my sister and I stayed at a Hilton Suites – they had sleep number beds with the selector on the mattress – What a TREAT!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen3 (Post 3962801)
Bobbie....Oh man I panic when I don't have a book ready. That was one of the reasons that i tried the kindle....swore I'd hate it and can't live without it now. I had 30 books download when I got sent to the ER. The wee Kindle and recharge cord was all I needed.

Hi Karen,

I LOVE my Nook & I was like you – thought I would NEVER like electronic reading. Problem for me is how easy it is to buy a new book – from ANYWHERE! I am happiest if I do some searching on my computer, read some reviews, download the sample and read it. Then, if I am still interested, buy it. My worst purchases are when I run out and just “grab” something.

I went to my library and they showed me how to borrow books on my Nook. However, now that I have my new laptop, I can’t figure out how to do that. I need to go back and have them re-teach me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nancyoyo (Post 3963042)
Hey,
Just stopped by to check on everyone. We’re on our way out the door to an outdoor concert - the local band I really like! NCNancy

Hi Nancy,

I hope you enjoyed your concert.

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynne (Post 3963247)
I got my movie from Netflix and was all excited to watch it this evening ~ opened it and it was not the one I had expected.

Hi Gayle,

I HATE when that happens. Right now, I am on an Inspector Morse kick. His series began in 1989 – I have LOTS of shows lined up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marie (Post 3963325)
I’d choose an older woman over a 30 yo when hiring. Our age tends not to go on maternity leave every 18 months. :D
Lynn, good luck on your training tomorrow. How is your knee?
Marie

Hi Marie,

When I worked, I used to advertise for secretaries who took dictation. We were not allowed to ask for older women, but I always knew I would get someone older if they knew how to take dictation.

Training was good, but hot. We started early, but it was up to 90 by the time we got finished. Knee is good!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellabella (Post 3963723)
NSV (my kind of NSV...:D ) We were all over at dd2's last night helping get things in order for the new bambina, and they all ordered Chinese food. I ALMOST caved; they almost had me convinced to order chicken moo shu (my FAVE) because it's mostly cabbage and veggies....but I looked up the nutritional info on dd's phone, and it was 1000 calories!!!!!! So, I said "no, thanks..." and sent dh next door to get me a container of homemade pea soup (which was already IN my FitDay food log) and I had that while they ate the Chinese food. Amazing grace. Z

Hi Zoe,

You are SO GOOD! CONGRATULATIONS on surmounting that challenge!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynard21 (Post 3963852)
HAPPY WEEKEND EVERYONE. My DH and I are going to a cardboard boat race today - I am the photographer. The weather is picture-perfect. Last year my DH and i were in the race and our boat sunk halfway around. It sunk in the back where i was sitting. It is a lot of fun - on the Bass River.

Hi Lyn,

I never heard of a cardboard boat race. Do you make these yourself? How can they possible hold folks and not sink?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbolink (Post 3963968)
Zoe...I don't buy books, I frequent the library. I'd be broke if I had to buy books since I read so much.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Hi Bobbi,

My DD is like you. I gave her an I-Pad and gave her husband a Nook for Christmas. She reads only free books & library books. Actually, quite a few books are free.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jess1 (Post 3964008)
I don’t expect to hear anything until Tuesday, since she’s off on Monday.
Lynn – it sounds like you got good results? Now what, with the GI stuff?

Hi Donna,

I still have my fingers crossed. If they have any brains, you will get the job!

I have no idea about the GI stuff. All I know is that any kind of fat triggers an attack. This afternoon, I had ½ of a Lean Line pizza & suffered with pain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryea (Post 3964271)
Jess - I get the free downloads from amazon too. I think I have only paid for one. I have the kindle for pc but would like an ereader for traveling. I have 30+ books downloaded now but haven't read any of them. I still have too many hard copy books to read and I prefer them to sitting here reading the computer. But I can't turn down a free book that sounds interesting in any form!

Hi Mary,

I do most of my reading at the gym on the treadmill. The Nook is GREAT for that. Lays flat & I just need to touch it to “turn the page.” Hmmm – guess we need a new phrase to describe this. “Brushing the screen?”

Freda, Karen, everyone else I am missing - have a GREAT rest of your Saturday.

Lynn

Marie 07-30-2011 07:52 PM

Bobbi, go to Amazon and on the left side they have a kindle link. Then download Kindle for Mac or PC. Install, then you can go to that Kindle link and buy books. They’ll auto download to your Kindle for Mac or PC. They do have some free books. Like Jane Eyre. And they have best sellers and new releases for a significantly discounted price since they’re not printing/shipping anything.

Zoe, you rock!!!!! :) Good job on passing up the Chinese food. That is a NSV.

Lyn, good luck with your cardboard boat.

Gayle, I know that mindset of when I’m :angel: and the scale goes up, wanting to eat, just to give it a reason to go up. But I think down deep, we all know when we’re being :devil: or :angel: and the scale will eventually budge downward if we are :angel:.

Mary and Donna, we have bought lots in years gone by but not this year. I didn’t expect the rebate to be as big as it was. Also, I know that they will refund you the difference of your rebate and if the $100 membership costs more than the $55 one. So I guess if the rebate is less than $45, they’ll refund the difference. Ask at the service desk. BTW, the $100 membership gives you 2% back on all purchases, including gas.

Lynn, oh how I love my sleep number bed. I agree that traveling now is not good for resting. Very clever way of finding a GG (or boy) for hiring. Terribly clever. I’m glad training went well. Swiping is the term I’ve heard the “pros” use for brushing your fingers across the screen.

I’m tired. I admit exercise wore me out. DH walked the doggies early, then headed over the mountain. We did a 25 mile bike ride and it was hot when we were done. Heck I even will admit I was HOT! Then we went shopping and I picked out my iPad (that I definitely plan to install Kindle for iPad on – btw for those interested in the Kindle discussion – Amazon’s sync software will sync your books between all devices you have registered to you and that includes the last page read). So my b-day present is bought and DH has taken it away until Wednesday. I did hold the box for about 30 seconds. Yippee. Then we did some grocery shopping and the next form of exercise – shopping at Costco. We’re now home. DH needs his hair trimmed (military frowns on a millimeter too long) then we’re going swimming. I intend to do nearly zero laps. Just float around. It was a great day!
Marie

akrosey49 07-30-2011 10:51 PM

Hi everyone. i spent the day cleaning,laundry,and organizing getting ready for the BQ tomorrow. dh needs to vacume and i'll have afew dishes to do and im ready. the puppies where pretty well behaved today,no accidents and not to wild.not sure who's trained them or me:dizzy:.Lynn i always fix my chicken by using 1 t mayo and coating the chicken then rolling it in italian seasoned bread crumbs and baking. i made it tonite and also spagheti squash. i also use a sf jam with the chicken,like canberries with turkey. tonite i used apricot.i also use this recipe for fish.if you want lower fat use Lf mayo or an egg wash to make the crumbs stick.It nice to have aclean house,why do i wait for a party to motivate me :p ttfn rosey :wave:

maryea 07-30-2011 11:54 PM

That sounds like a pretty good deal, Marie, with Costco. I didn't know they did that (the refund). I'll have to check with our store here. We have a business AMEX card through Costco, so we get 4% rebate on gas purchases as well as 3% on restaurants and 1% on everything else. Guess I'd be sorta double dipping if I had the $100 level membership, huh?!! Will definitely look into it although I may wait til I can get it through mypoints. Not sure how often they offer it, but mypoints.com sometimes gives points when you buy or upgrade your Costco account. With mypoints when you get enough points you can order a GC. I get at least one a year, mostly from clicking the link in emails they send me, but doesn't seem like I get as many emails as I used to and buying something now and then that I need anyway really helps.

Marie, what branch of the service is your dh in? My dh is retired from the AF.
With active, ANG and reserves he had a total of 33 1/2 years.

Lynn - I'll check out the yogurt whips. Now and then I freeze a fruity yogurt for something different.

Lynn & Marie - My dh is interested in those sleep number beds...maybe one of these days. But we have a very comfy bed. It is huge..a very deep mattress which we regretted buying as soon as we had it in the house, but it is comfortable, like floating on a cloud.

Lynn - Good idea about the ereader on a treadmill ...hadn't thought of that. I've been waiting as I want to get an iPad and thought It would also be my ereader, but maybe I should just get one. The Nook also is in color now, isn't it? BTW, I've always wanted to ask someone...with the ereaders, can you search for something in the story? Like say I remember something that might be a clue, can I use some key words and do a search for it? I always want to do this in my regular books and of course, I can't! :( Oh, another question...can you make the font larger? My eyesight is getting bad and although I can read it if it's close enough, I really hate small print and say it's on the treadmill I'm not sure I could read it unless it is large print. I keep my computer and browser set on a large font. Also can books for Kindle also be used for others like Nook or iPad?

I've had a good OP day!! So glad as it's been several days since I've done well.

ladyinweighting 07-31-2011 08:25 AM

Hi Rosey,

I will try that chicken recipe.

Mary - yes, you can search for a term within a book using the Nook. I have the color Nook - not sure if the other one has the same options.

Lynn

Karen31 07-31-2011 09:13 AM

Good morning GG's!! Getting ready for church and then going to my Aunts for lunch. We have a cousin coming up from Enid, Oklahoma this afternoon so it should be lots of fun! Hope everyone enjoys their Sunday and try to stay cool!

Bobbolink 07-31-2011 10:22 AM

Good Morning girls...I'm closing out our wonderful July chats, a record for this thread according to Jane. (510)...10 above the 3 Fat Chicks limit. See ya all there!
:moped: