Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 05:18 PM   #316  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

It is VERY hot here today. I did my volunteering today. Now I am just sitting with my leg up and icing my knee.

On to personals ….

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea Granny View Post
Good Morning GG's Thanks for the encouragement. I sure wish I was around more, but things are just so crazy around here. Trying to stay on plan - I'm finding it hard with all of the stuff that comes with summer socializing. I'm thinking that I'll be doing great if I maintain for the summer, and not gain anything. My weight loss is sooooooo slow, 2-3 pounds a month. I know it is the safe and healthy way to do this, and I know that all of the exercise is building muscle. Maybe I'll just follow Zoe's advice and quit weighing for a while and just go by how my clothes fit. I do know that I an thinner and stronger that I was before at this weight ( years ago ) I'm afraid that if I don't weigh in that the Evil Fat Fairy will visit me in the night and leave me a few pounds that I won't catch until they start to multiply - the scale keeps me honest I guess.
Hi Tea,

You snuck in your post while I was composing/posting mine. Sorry I missed you yesterday. I was a daily weigher for the whole time I was losing. Now that I am on maintenance, I sometimes skip a day or two. It took me 4 years to lose 40 lbs. I lost the first 30 in one year & then stayed around that weight for the next 2.5 years. I just lost the last 10 in the last couple of months. One of the things I learned from graphing my daily weights is that the daily up and down fluctuations don’t matter. It is the trend line that tells the story. I know that I read an article one time (can’t remember where) about research that found daily vs. weekly weighing was irrelevant concerning weight loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess1 View Post
Lynn – hope the cortisone shot works for you! You’re way too active to be laid low by some stinkin’ pain! I have a Panera Bread close by, have never been there, but that salad you described sounds DELICIOUS!!
Hi Donna,

The salad is delicious. Try it & let me know how you like it. I always order the dressing on the side. They give you a choice of bread or chips – I always get a whole grain baguette. Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemontana View Post
I did one hour and 20 minutes of toning/strength/aerobic routine this morning.
Son surprised me with a new kinda low carb version of my beloved german pancakes. Yummy.
Hi Rie,

CONGRATULATIONS on the 80 minutes of exercise! Don’t forget to log it in. Any chance your son would share the recipe for the pancakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
[COLOR=Purple] Lynn, I’m glad your knee is better and you were able to train. I love your comment about men that are sick. They are whiny, aren’t they?Marie
Hi Marie,

I remember reading an article about men and sickness. The author’s premise was that men feel responsible to “fix” things. When men or their loved ones are ill and they cannot “fix” it, they get frustrated and angry – making them miserable to be around. I think it might be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryea View Post
Lynn- of the two companies I would more recommend WorldMark. The reason is I feel they have perhaps weathered the recession a little better. VI though is hanging in there and looks like it will be ok. The recession has been rough on these companies just like other businesses. When we travel to the mid-west this fall we will be staying in one of our WM condos for part of the trip. And we will also soon be going to the WA coast for a few days to stay in one. If we stop using our RV we will depend more and more on them. Both these companies are mostly in the west coast states although they are spreading out and WM even has some international locations...I can't remember where you are, Lynn, but there might not be any in your local area. Of course you can join RCI and go pretty much all over (stateside and international) by exchanging through them.
Hi Mary,

I live in Eastern PA – near Philadelphia. My DD and SIL and I love to travel outside of the country. We’ve been to Ireland, England, France, Italy, Greece, Mexico, and Canada outside of the USA. Inside the states, I’ve been to just about every state (except Alaska and Hawaii). I used to travel A LOT for my job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen31 View Post
About the idiot, uh second hubby, I had his lawyer send divorce papers to my Dad's house in MO., he then sent them to me, I signed and then sent them back to my Dad with an addressed, stamped envelope and my Dad mailed it back to the lawyer...He never found me and I've never heard another word from or about him. He was such a jerk!! We never had a car while we were together and I walked to work and back, which was about 1 1/2 miles each way. I was going to go to the bank one day while I was off work and he said (he worked nights) "I have timed it and it takes exactly 23 minutes minutes to walk there and back. So giving the time it takes to do the business you will be back here in in 28 minutes or you will have some explaining to do!" Yeah, he was a real nice guy! I started putting money away, actually I pulled out the dresser in the bedroom and lifted part of the carpet up so I could hide money under there. I still didn't have enough saved up to leave when I had to get a restraining order on him, which believe it or not, after the court gave me the restraining order, he set there in the lobby waiting for me to leave so he could "talk" to me--- I went back in to the court room and told the public defender and he came out and made him leave, then drove me home and went through my house before he would let me go in. It was after that when Tim came to get me. And the social services gave me $50 gas voucher then which was used to put in Tims van and got us out of town!!!
Hi Karen,

I had one of those idiot husbands also. When I finally was able to leave, I actually rented an apartment while I was still living at home. The next time he blew up at me, I had someplace to go and I went! My DD doesn’t even talk to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
So much happening on this thread! I've really enjoyed catching up with everyone's posts of the past few days. I've had a bit of a social whirl lately - bookclub and my turn to lead the discussion which is always a challenge, then a few different occasions catching up with friends for various meals over the weekend.
Hi Koala,

What book are you reading? My bookclub’s July book is one by Lisa Scottoline – I am NOT enjoying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellabella View Post
Starting today, I am in boot camp mode – and will stay in boot camp mode for the next six weeks until the wedding. Low calories, walking at least three evenings a week, and TOTAL COMMITMENT. I plan to look quite slim and svelte at ds’s wedding, and I figure that even I can stick to something for six weeks. I was married to my ex for more than 20 years. Six weeks is a walk in the park in comparison.Z
Hi Zoe,

ROTFLOL! I never thought of comparing my weight-loss endeavors to my first marriage miseries! Makes dieting seem downright pleasant! You will look beautiful just as you are! Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbolink View Post
I'm back from massage and Dr. Bones. He said my vertebrate is gradually moving in the right direction. I can tell because I had a good last week, 4 days no headache, 2 days slight headache and one day ball buster migraine. That's a great week for me.
Lynn...I'm surprised your doc lets you continue training if you need cortisone shots. Good luck on that.
Hi Bobbi,

HAPPY for the 4 days without a headache – SORRY about the other days.

None of my docs want me to run. I do it anyway. All of the docs seem to be happy about the walking. Once this half-marathon is over, I will stop the running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyoyo View Post
Hey GGs,
Just wanted to check in while I’m having a good day. KarenFL, it seems so coincidental that you would post that quote just now. For the last couple of days, I’ve been thinking that I’m starting to slip into depression. I’d really like to think I’m feeling the way I do just because of having DSD around, but I really don’t think it’s that simple (I wish, because she’ll be going back to school in about 3 weeks).

About 11 years ago, I went through what I decided, from things I’d read, & seen on TV, must be depression. It’s really hard to describe, unless you’ve felt it (& I think maybe several of you GGs have?). Just performing the slightest of day to day tasks (like paying the bills, or washing dishes) seemed to take the greatest of effort. I could find no joy in anything - I would ask myself “if you could do anything in the world, & had unlimited resources, what would you do that would make you happy?” And I couldn’t think of anything at all that would, & that was scary. But, even more scary, no one else could see that anything was wrong! I was still functioning “normally”, even getting up & going to work every day, while inside I just felt despair & emptiness. This really doesn’t explain it, I guess you have to experience it to understand. Anyway, to shorten this sad, sad story, somewhere I’d heard about taking St. John’s Wort for depression, & I figured it wouldn’t hurt to try. After a couple of weeks, I started feeling better, & in about a month I was feeling pretty good. I stopped taking the St. John‘s Wort, & in 2 weeks the sad feelings started coming back. So, I went back to taking it for another 4 or 5 months, stopped again, & I’ve been ok until now.

Lately I’ve been putting off things that needed to be done, until the last possible minute. And, some days I dread even turning on the computer, because it seems to require more of me than I can give. I’ve noticed on the weekends, I can’t think of anything I want to do, so my SO has been having to come up with ideas (that’s very unusual - it was always me dragging him out of the house). Today I’ve been feeling pretty good, & got several things done I’d been putting off for weeks. But, now I seem to be losing momentum, & I haven’t really “talked” to you all, & I need to get something fixed for dinner. I feel guilty leaving like this, this has been all about me, me, me, & I haven’t even commented on your posts. But, DSD will be home soon, & I don’t want to be sitting here “pouring my heart out” when she’s around (obviously she must factor into how I’m feeling, somehow). And Donna, I don’t let her read the GG stuff (though I guess there’s nothing to stop her if she wanted to, but I don’t think she’d bother)! I just can’t seem to stop myself from talking about the “doings” here, because this site has become so important to me. I really want to thank all of you for being here! Now, I’ve really got to stop & see if I can get back online (I just got bumped off), & post this before the “turdblossom” (thank you Rie!) gets home. Oh, almost forgot - I started taking St. John’s Wort yesterday, just in case.
NCNancy
Hi Nancy,

When I was married to my first husband and for the year after I left him (before I met my second husband), I was depressed. I remember thinking/saying “I can’t.” When someone would ask me “What can’t you do?” I would just repeat “I can’t.” I also worked all through it. For a while, I saw a psychologist who told me I had acute situational depression. I never took anything during this time, but left my husband, moved away, and got a new job. Despite a lot of alcohol and some bizarre behavior, I came out of it.

For the next 25 years, I was content. Then my 2nd husband had a stroke. I quit my job to take care of him, spent 2 years doing my best to care for him until he died. From the time he had the stroke until his death, I was once again very depressed. This time, I took anti-depressants. Once he died and I didn’t need to be strong, I stopped the anti-depressants. I wanted to experience my feelings and work through them. June 29th of this year was the 5th anniversary of my DH’s death. In the 5 years since he died, I gradually came out of the depression.

All of this is to say that I understand how you are feeling and that there are various ways to get through it. Please know that you do NOT need to feel guilty about sharing your feelings with us. We have all been through difficult times and we often turn to each other when we need friendly shoulders to lean on.

Good luck with the St. John’s Wort. I hope it works for you.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #317  

Hi everyone..well they are gone and its so peaceful here now.i had fun with my nieces but felt incompetent to deal with their many issues and all the commotion.i find as im older i dont have the patience i used to. i want my grkids and any other kids to have a fun and memory making experience at my house. my day care kids come and visit me often and they are grown with their own famlys now. besides im a big kid at heart and the things they enjoy i do too when any one comes to my home i want them to feel comfortable and have that warm "fuzzy" feeling and above all laugh and have fun.so come visit good food and laughter. the doors always open. Nancy i am sry you are feeling so "blue" i understand. i take depression meds. after my spinal cord injury and in the hosp so long,i had a hard time processing what had happened to me.i cried all the time.after alot of hard work with rehab folks and my willpower i got some of my life back,the meds helped and cont to do so. if a miss a few doses i find my self crying again. i vowed after all that happened i would enjoy every day,moment, accomplishment,person,event etc from small like watching the birds and my bird feeder to hugging little kids,its all a blessing becuz i got a second chance. life is so precious and when u almost loose it u get a new perspective about it. i dont think id have been able to feel like this without the meds. so i hope the St johns wort or perscription meds help u back to your happy self. i think we all have times like that and so here's a big (((hug)) to start you off i hope i dont sound to preachy i wanted to share my experience so you wouldnt feel alone. since the puppies are sleeping and so is grandpa i think i'll join them this old gramma's pooped. ttfn rosey

Last edited by akrosey49; 07-18-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #318  
lynard

S/C/G: 214/206/180

Height: 5'9"

Hi GGs,

I had a good weekend, and even better day today. Woke up early so I headed out for a walk to a nearby park and did about 2.5 miles. Had breakfast with a good friend, then picked wild blueberries with my DH. We went to a spot my father showed me many years ago off the beaten path and there they were. They make great blueberry pancakes and muffins. I will indulge but moderately! Then, swam 22 laps at the lake and met my friend and her golden retriever for a swim in Bass River, and did my yoga stretches. Now it’s thundering, but we need the rain. Tomorrow back to work.

Tea – What in the world is “lambsfoot?” Sounds interesting. And don’t sweat the weigh-ins. Enjoy your summer while it’s here, I say!

Marie – glad the pool party was a hit – but having to jump in after one of the kids?! Sounds scary.

Karen31 – Wow your life with the second DH does sound like a horrible experience. Good for you for being strong and having enough guts to get out of there.

Rie, I don’t have any cukes yet…just green beans, but they are delish! Good job with your bathroom caulking too. Good luck with your MD appointments tomorrow.

Donna – sorry about your computer troubles. I like your guessing game with pics too. Very creative.

Koala, I just finished reading a great book, about a womens’ bookclub called “Angry Housewives eating Bonbons”. It traced the lives of 5 women in the club through the 70s, 80,s 90,s and today. Actually I was reading the book for a book club I am in here. Love to read! I got tired of the Wii scolding me when I went missing so I haven’t been using it much these days.

Bobbi – Glad your headaches are tapering off with your new chiropractor/massage. Wow it is hot our there. I heard it’s coming this way. Your recipe looks divine.

Z – the bride’s family sounds like a soap opera plot. All those family secrets. Could be very interesting. Horray for your “Bookcamp” mode. Keep up the walking!

Mary – very smart of you to use the medifast plan by educating yourself about it. Can’t wait to hear how it goes. Glad the Dr visit was better than expected. And I agree – avoid surgery at all costs.

Nancy – I can relate about your experiences with depression. I’ve had two major bouts, one in 1989 and then again after my mother’s death in 1997. The one in ’89 came after my DH suddenly lost a job as assistant headmaster at a private school, and we had to move out of the campus housing and find new jobs and new places to live in just a month or so. Our kids were very young and the whole experience was just awful. The depression came after the dust was settled, we found an apartment in Syracuse, I was back at work full-time and it was the dead of winter to boot. I ended up leaving the job after 2 months. I never used the St Johns Wort, but did seek medical help. Went through the first one with the help of a great psychiatric resident in Syracuse, NY. He initially had me on medication, but had bad side effects, so I went through it with weekly visits to him. By the end, (about 6 months) I looked forward to going to see him and would bring a thermos of tea and we’d discuss everything from religion to Zen meditation. For the second one, my mom had passed away from cancer that April, and I suddenly became anxious and depressed that summer. This time I was put on paxil, and that did the trick in about 4 weeks. Sometimes medication does help. I hope that you find you way through what ever it is that is troubling you. And keep checking in. We care!

Rosey – Glad you’re enjoying some quiet time now. Sounds like the kids were a blessing and a challenge all at once. Love you pictures

So, stay cool everyone.

Lyn
Old 07-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #319  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG’s,

One day down ~ 3 to go. I quick got out of there tonight before something happened and I had to stay over again. Got home here and have had a relaxing evening catching up with you all.

Lyn ~ the blueberries sound yummy ~ enjoy. Wow ~ you had a lot of exercising today ~ awesome.

Rosey ~ glad you are having some peaceful time now. Glad you got a “second chance” to enjoy life. Glad you are here with us.

Lynn ~ hope your knee feels better after the ice. Hope your daughter and sil stay nearby and not move away.

Bobbi ~ wow ~ you don’t usually think of Minnesota as being so hot. Glad you have had a better week headache wise and that your spine is starting to get back to where it should be.

Mary ~ glad your new eating plan is working so well for you ~ and that the scale is moving in the right direction.

Marie ~ glad your pool party turned out better than expected. Sorry you had to jump in like that ~ but glad you were there to help. Glad you got your dear Sasha found.

Donna ~ sorry for your computer problems and the loss of some of your enjoyable games and such. Enjoying your guess where the picture is game.

Rie ~ any news about Sean? Congrats on fitting better in the tub

Zoe ~ cheering you on at the boot camp ~ you’ll do great and be looking awesome.

Koala-Lou ~ glad the Wii was nice to you this time How are your kitties? I think it is so neat that they will go for a walk on a leash.

Mustang Karen ~ glad you were able to get away from that awful husband. And glad for the good life you have now.

Hope you all have a nice evening and a good rest.

Take care
Old 07-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #320  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Marie -
Quote:
Donna, since you're stuck with IE in 64 bit - try downloading and installing Google Chrome. My co-workers and daughter love it. It's sleek and faster than Firefox and much faster than IE ever could dream of being. May that will help for your games.
I think I'm SO stuck with IE 64 bit! It won't allow me to download Firefox, Chrome, OR Opera! Something is weird in its little peabrain! Thanks for the suggestion, though!
Old 07-18-2011, 10:03 PM   #321  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Nancy ~ I am so sorry that you are feeling so badly. I hope it helps to know you are not alone ~ several of the GG’s have chimed in to share that they understand. Please don't apologize for not getting to the personals. I'm glad you could feel comfortable to come here and share with us.

When I was younger one of my coworkers was depressed and I didn’t understand why she just couldn’t feel better. My turn would come.

My first time was when we moved to Kansas City Missouri. We went from a small rural area to a big city and the kids did not adjust smoothly. We had troubles I never thought I’d have to deal with ~ running away, shop lifting, drugs ~ bad ones, teen pregnancy. Our family was in such turmoil. I just wanted to sleep all the time and shut things out. Or cry. I was able to get some medication and eventually felt better.

The next time was when we moved to North Carolina. Left Jason behind and Sara and Corbin. Corbin was just 1 ˝ years and had lived with me and because Sara was only 16, I had done a lot of the care giving. I missed them so badly. Jason ended up coming to NC and wanted to live with us, but Steve wouldn’t let him. He ended up going to Ohio and lived with my sister. I felt like I hated my husband. Again, I just wanted to sleep life away. I didn’t try for medication this time and somehow eventually ended up feeling better.

I still have some times now when I feel kind of hopeless and discouraged.

I hope that you can find something that will help so you can feel better again. Please keep coming here ~ we care about you and want you to be alright.

Last edited by glynne; 07-18-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:25 PM   #322  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello all.

I had a pretty good day at work, for a Monday (in human services) LOL. I haven't heard from Sean but I expect to see him tomorrow. Dr appointments (weigh in) and an appointment to get my hair done. I love my stylist. Love spending time with him and he always pampers me.

Gayle, glad that you are enjoying your evening, and that you got out in time.

Lyn, wow, no grass grows under your feet! What an awesome day How big is the lake that you are swimming multiple laps?

Dear Rosey, I love what you said about wanting to create the "warm fuzzy" feeling for others. It is just what your posts sound like

Lynn, where do you volunteer? I hope that your knee starts carrying you easier. Just think how much better it is because you have lost so much weight.

Marie, I can't live without my dark chocolate. I buy the ghiradelli squares and they hide in my desk. I can have one square. They have only 4.5 carbs and few calories, even less than the special dark miniatures.

Bobbi, I am so glad that you are feeling better. I am considering a Chiro myself, having back trouble.

Mary, I am glad that surgery is not on your horizen. Hopefully, the UTI's will get better. Good job on your eating plan.

Nancy, I am so sorry for what you are going through. Like many of us here, I have been through a couple of serious depressive episodes. All I can say is that if the st John's wart doesn't bring you out of it, please consider getting some medical help. Also, I don't know what you do for excercise, but 20 minutes a day of moderate excercise is absolutely a help for depression. Please let us know how we can help and feel free to hang out here even if you don't feel like posting.

Donna, I am so happy about the new job solution! And I am tickled to know that you are a fellow gamer. I like time management and hidden object games. What do you like?

Koala, I loved your post. I think you can get temporary passes to costco - especially if they are new.

Zoe, I loved your description about the new inlaws.... And, I totally understand your feelings about the kids and the ex. Mine ignored the boys so much and they would get so incredibly excited if he decided to show up for anything - I used to think it wasn't fair because all he had to do was show up and I was doing all the work. Oh, well, he geve me wonderful kids that he still doesn't have a good relationship with. So what kind of diet do you follow? How can we help? I was going to suggest the same as Bobbi - when I first started I ate a large bowl of green salad before lunch and dinner. It made it almost impossible to over-eat. Anyway, you are going to be beautiful whatever happens. Did you buy the dress you showed us?

Tea Granny, I only weigh one time per month. I don't think I could stand to do it more. If you feel stronger and smaller, then you are.

Gotta go do some grooming. Clothes comming off at dermatologist tomorrow! Ugh. I got my toes finally done, though, a very nice fragile pink.

Have a great evening! Hope that Karenfl is doing well.

Rie
Old 07-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #323  

Good Morning Girls

I started writing yesterday, was almost done with a long post, when lighening blasted and knocked my computer out! It was ungodly hot yesterday, over 100. Not as hot as some of you are getting but way too hot for me. We did get a rain in the evening (while I was on computer) and it was much needed.

So many posts! I am always so glad to come here and talk to everyone, catch up on their news. You all feel like family, and I rejoyce with you and worry about you.

Nancy, I'm so sorry to hear that you are having problems with depression. It can be devistating. Please see a Dr. I hope the St. John's Wart helps you but remember that there are lots of medications out there. And most doctors will give you samples if you can't afford the medication.

Rie, I've been thinking about Shawn, praying that he is ok. But it's over and you would have heard if he wasn't. I so admire anyone that keeps the old traditions. Enjoy your time at the hairdresser.

Donna, Good luck with the new job. I think those kids are in for some fun and surprises!

Koahla, I used to have a membership with Sam's club. There is a Sam's Club and Costco near me. I don't find them that cost effective, when the member ships fee's are so expensive. I find I can buy most things cheaper at the grocery store with sales and coupons. We got a membership before for diapers and formula when the kids were babies. Those things are cheaper. That said, I do go there occasionally, with my DS and DIL. I buy a few things, like the canned chicken that Iuse to make my chicken salads. I'm sure if they are just coming there they will allow you to go in and check it out.

Gayle, I think we have all been touched with depression at times. I think when I first injured my back and was in so much pain I went through a period wehn I just gave up. Thankfully, I got over it. Sometimes you don't realize you are depressed. You just know things aren't right. I had a friend who was put on antidepressants and said for the first time in her life she realized how other people saw the world.

Lyn, Wow, girl! Did you eat your wheaties yesterday? All that exercise! Your garden in getting ready to come in and i'm jealous. I did have some cherry tomates from my garden yesterday with my pasta salad. So sweet! Those were the first, but lots on the vine and should start ripening by this weekend. Can't wait.

Lynn, I am going to look that author up. It's a new one for me. Thanks, always looking for new good mystery writers.

Karen, Unfortunateally, there are lots of abusive husbands out there. Good for you for getting out.

Rosie, I LOVe having the kids over and I enjoy them so much. That said, I am always glad to see them go for awhile too. They wear me out! They go and I nap. That's why young people have kids. They have the energy for the day to day. We get to step in and have the fun.

Bobbi, I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better. That had to be a very trying time. I don't know how you managed to do all the day to day things while you were so sick.

Marie, I'm glad you managed to get throught he party. I hope you had fun too. And how fun, jumping in the pool after the child! I can just see that! Like you said, old habits die hard. And I'm sorry that your dog got found quickly, and safe and sound.

TAke care my friends,

Freda
Old 07-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #324  

S/C/G: 106.8/93.8/65kg

Height: 169cm

Hello GGs

All going well here - the weather bureau predicted snow today, but no such joy We had sleety rain in the morning, and now it's warmed up to a positively tropical +9C (48F). The days are getting longer, so summer will be here before I know it. It's good hearing all your horror stories of high temps and humidity - reminds me that summer is not my favourite time of year!

Bobbi - thanks for the tip to grow my own raspberries and other goodies - but I'm more a "gravel is good" type gardener Sadly, there is not the slightest tinge of green in my thumbs. I only have small courtyards in the front and back with a couple of extremely hardy plants that insist on growing despite my lack of care - oops! Although, once the frosts stop, I'm thinking I will plant some herbs in pots - I think I could manage that ... maybe ... Like you, I do most of my cooking from scratch - I seem to get allergic reactions to preservatives eg in pre-made sauces - and I love using fresh herbs. The pannini recipe with balsamic syrup sounds sensational! Good to hear that your headaches are improving.

Z - strict city, six weeks, eh? I think I will join you at book camp - I'm having to talk myself down from temptation every six minutes, it seems! Don't feel too envious of my wii age - today's is 59 grrrr, the wii and I are not friends. You have really good motivation in wanting to feel (and look) fabulous at your son's wedding. I would count it a major achievement that you gave your kids the skills to navigate a sensitive situation when they were growing up, and that they are still gracious in their behaviour with both parents is a testament to the values you fostered in them.

Rie - you must have really enjoyed relaxing in your suddenly larger tub - a great reward for all your hard work. And now a day of pampering - noice! Thanks for the info on Costco - I'm not sure if buying in bulk would work out that well for me. I think I might wait until it opens and then decide whether or not to join. I buy most of my meat, fruit and vegies at the growers' market, and try to limit visits to the supermarket for when I need cleaning products. Too many yummy treats shouting "pick me" and throwing themselves in the trolley - so I don't like going unless it's absolutely necessary

Mary - sorry to hear you have had to go to the urologist - good news that you don't need surgery. WTG on the new eating plan and the friendly scales. Thanks for the rundown on Costco - it sounds quite a different type of shopping than we are used to. I hope the water sample was the best water you've ever tasted, to make it worth your while passing up all the other goodies! The range of things sold sounds more like the huge hypermarkets that I've been to in Europe. It's good to hear they have good warranty and after sales service - that's often lacking.

Donna - that computer virus sounds like a doozy. I usually don't wish ill on anyone, but I hope karma gets the person who invented it. It just seems so pointless to inflict so much inconvenience on people you don't even know. Thanks for your views on Costco - that's a good idea to have a look around. LOL at not wanting to go through a painful tattooing - although it would go well with your Wendy's quote Personally, I've never understood the fascination with tattoos, but I reckon it's the single most telling feature as to whether someone is aged under or over 35.

Marie - the wii and I are not friends today grump grump I'm like you - wouldn't give you thank you for milk chocolate, but dark chocolate is a different matter entirely My biggest victory in the ongoing battle of the bulge, and it's taken me years, is to train myself to really savour a small amount of top quality dark chocolate, rather than have bulk of the cheaper stuff. Luckily I can't really afford calories or $$ to go overboard. There is a very good Swiss baker/chocolatier at my local shopping centre - a bit too close for comfort!

NCNancy - so sorry to hear that you are going through this bad time. As many have said, this group is a safe place to pour your heart out - or just hang out - we will listen and care. It seems that the St John's Wort is starting to help, but perhaps professional help might be the go. I've heard that exercise can help stave off some of the effects of depression - is that something you might be able to try?

Lynn - how exciting to get a personal response from the author! I'm an avid reader and always on the lookout for new authors and titles, and I would like to support such a lovely person by reading her books if I can track them down. I can't recommend my last book club book - it was turgid - "White Castle" by a Turkish author, Orhan Pamuk. I usually like Lisa Scottoline, but I haven't read any of hers for a few years now. I'm about to start the latest Alexander McCall Smith - I really enjoy his "44 Scotland St" series.

Rosey - you must be relieved to have your normal life back! I hope you, DH and furbabies had a lovely nap and are ready for the next houseful of visitors seeking out your warm fuzzies

Lynard - your bookclub book sounds a good read - another one for me to try and track down! Wild blueberries - yum! Sounds like you would have used mega calories with all that swimming, walking and yoga - a little indulgence would have barely registered. The wii is a bit of a termagent isn't she??

Gayle - Yay - glad to hear that you managed to leave work on time for once. My kittehs are very snuggly - thank you for asking. They absolutely lurve their walkies - we have to go out every day, come rain or shine. Mungo, the little boy, is an absolute busybody - if he sees any new people in the neighbourhood, he insists on meeting them.

Freda - so annoying to do a long post and then ... pffft ... a lightening strike and it's all gone. Great effort that you've done a new long newsy post. Thanks for your info on Costco - it sounds like the jury is out, and I'd be better off checking it out before I sign up for a membership. I think the membership is $60 here.

Toodles!
Old 07-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #325  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning friends.

I was up early this morning, again, with lots of joint pain. I don't mind the early when I can work out but this sucks. Not sure why I am having a flare right now.

I have all my appointments today.

Be back later. Have a great day.

Rie
Old 07-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #326  

Good Morning, Everyone,

This morning I did 6 miles of training. I am thinking about changing my strategy. Instead of interspersing running, just get my walking speed up. That is what I did today and I actually had better time than when I was doing some running. I think it will be better for my knee and hip.

Have a Great day everyone, stay cool,

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrosey49 View Post
i take depression meds. after my spinal cord injury and in the hosp so long,i had a hard time processing what had happened to me.i cried all the time.after alot of hard work with rehab folks and my willpower i got some of my life back,the meds helped and cont to do so. if a miss a few doses i find my self crying again. i vowed after all that happened i would enjoy every day,moment, accomplishment,person,event etc from small like watching the birds and my bird feeder to hugging little kids,its all a blessing becuz i got a second chance. life is so precious and when u almost loose it u get a new perspective about it
Hi Rosey,

When was your injury? Somehow I missed this information. I think your attitude is GREAT! You have consistently been one of our most positive gg’s. I so admire your ability to overcome your problems and maintain such a wonderful attitude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynard21 View Post
Nancy – I can relate about your experiences with depression. I’ve had two major bouts, one in 1989 and then again after my mother’s death in 1997. The one in ’89 came after my DH suddenly lost a job as assistant headmaster at a private school, and we had to move out of the campus housing and find new jobs and new places to live in just a month or so. Our kids were very young and the whole experience was just awful. The depression came after the dust was settled, we found an apartment in Syracuse, I was back at work full-time and it was the dead of winter to boot. I ended up leaving the job after 2 months. I never used the St Johns Wort, but did seek medical help. Went through the first one with the help of a great psychiatric resident in Syracuse, NY. He initially had me on medication, but had bad side effects, so I went through it with weekly visits to him. By the end, (about 6 months) I looked forward to going to see him and would bring a thermos of tea and we’d discuss everything from religion to Zen meditation. For the second one, my mom had passed away from cancer that April, and I suddenly became anxious and depressed that summer. This time I was put on paxil, and that did the trick in about 4 weeks. Sometimes medication does help. I hope that you find you way through what ever it is that is troubling you. And keep checking in. We care!
Hi Lyn,

Interesting how much we are learning about each other from this conversation. I remember an article that I read that said women become best friends by sharing “intimate information” about themselves. Most of my friends have had bouts of depression at one time or another. Maybe it is just a “sign of our times.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynne View Post
Lynn ~ hope your knee feels better after the ice. Hope your daughter and sil stay nearby and not move away.Take care
Hi Gayle,

I’m sitting here with the ice on my knee again. I am pretty much resigned to the fact that my icepack and I will be close friends until I get through this marathon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynne View Post
Nancy ~ I am so sorry that you are feeling so badly. I hope it helps to know you are not alone ~ several of the GG’s have chimed in to share that they understand. Please don't apologize for not getting to the personals. I'm glad you could feel comfortable to come here and share with us.

When I was younger one of my coworkers was depressed and I didn’t understand why she just couldn’t feel better. My turn would come.

My first time was when we moved to Kansas City Missouri. We went from a small rural area to a big city and the kids did not adjust smoothly. We had troubles I never thought I’d have to deal with ~ running away, shop lifting, drugs ~ bad ones, teen pregnancy. Our family was in such turmoil. I just wanted to sleep all the time and shut things out. Or cry. I was able to get some medication and eventually felt better.

The next time was when we moved to North Carolina. Left Jason behind and Sara and Corbin. Corbin was just 1 ˝ years and had lived with me and because Sara was only 16, I had done a lot of the care giving. I missed them so badly. Jason ended up coming to NC and wanted to live with us, but Steve wouldn’t let him. He ended up going to Ohio and lived with my sister. I felt like I hated my husband. Again, I just wanted to sleep life away. I didn’t try for medication this time and somehow eventually ended up feeling better.

I still have some times now when I feel kind of hopeless and discouraged.

I hope that you can find something that will help so you can feel better again. Please keep coming here ~ we care about you and want you to be alright.

Hi Gail,

Again, I am so interested to read about everyone’s experiences. I though we all knew each other through and through. But this conversation is REALLY enlightening. Just goes to show how strong we all are. No wonder we like each other so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemontana View Post

Lynn, where do you volunteer? I hope that your knee starts carrying you easier. Just think how much better it is because you have lost so much weight. Rie
Hi Rie,

I volunteer for the Lymphoma and Leukemia Society (same group that sponsors the marathons). The particular program I help is one in schools where the kids collect change to donate to help local children who have blood cancer (mostly leukemia).

You are right about the weight loss. Before, I could barely walk. My hip was in VERY bad shape and I walked with a cane. I could NEVER have done a 13.1 mile marathon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the slim me View Post
Lynn, I am going to look that author up. It's a new one for me. Thanks, always looking for new good mystery writers.
Hi Freda,

I just LOVE her books. Best if you read them in order – In the Woods, The Likeness, and Faithful Place. She is an Edgar Award winner. She does an interesting thing. Each book has a character who narrates the story. The narrator is different in each one, but is always someone who appeared in previous books. It is REALLY interesting because you see a new side of each character when he/she is the narrator.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #327  

S/C/G: 171/160/120

Height: 5 feet- if I really stretch

Hi
(Just so you all know that I'm still around and thinking of you! )
Old 07-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #328  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
Lynn - how exciting to get a personal response from the author! I'm an avid reader and always on the lookout for new authors and titles, and I would like to support such a lovely person by reading her books if I can track them down. I can't recommend my last book club book - it was turgid - "White Castle" by a Turkish author, Orhan Pamuk. I usually like Lisa Scottoline, but I haven't read any of hers for a few years now. I'm about to start the latest Alexander McCall Smith - I really enjoy his "44 Scotland St" series.
Hi Koala,

Tana French's 3 books are available at B&N and at Amazon.

About Pamuk - one of the first books my bookclub read was his - Snow. We all complained vociferously about it. However, ever since, we have spent a lot of time talking about it. It was absolutely painful to read, but actually touched on A LOT of issues that impact our lives.

NOTE: I would NOT happily read another of his books.

Lynn
Old 07-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #329  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All…
Feeling kind of blah today, just not too spirited!

Bobbi – I’m glad your vertebrae are wending their way toward the right direction! It sounds like this Dr. Bones might actually have some idea of what he’s doing! Here’s to continued migraine-free days!! I still haven’t figured out where the computer virus came from, but I’m still having residual problems. I just don’t feel comfortable spending the money on a new computer!

Nancy – I don’t know about everyone else, although it seems to be so… but I do know, can sympathize AND empathize about the depths of despair you’re edging! I think depression is something I battle constantly, and some days are much better than others. I have to make concerted efforts to be “up”; and, although it’s been a lifetime ago since I was THAT bad and having THOSE kinds of thoughts, I could easily slip into complete withdrawal from the world. Everything you describe, I know. Please, please, please don’t let yourself be cut off from us. We understand, and this is a safe place for you (and the other page is even safer!).

PT/Zoe – what kind of goal are you looking at for your boot camp? It would help us to rah rah you constructively if we had numbers. However, be sure to keep up your strength so you can report on the on-going family sagas!!

Rosey – is your boy healthy again? I would think that the love and caring that you give those little girls will go a long way to helping them! Who has custody of them?

Lynn – how way cool that Tana French wrote back to you! I really liked her book that I read that I cannot remember the title (ah, thank you for your later post: the title is Faithful Place )!! I’ll get more of hers. Have you read anything by Elizabeth George? I just read one of hers and liked it very much; I think it would be up your alley, too. I found your comment about not enjoying Lisa Scottoline’s book interesting… I do NOT like her writing! I think it’s inane and completely not worth spending a nickel to buy.

Lyn – you’re right in the good company! You, MKaren, Marie, and Lynn are our ExerciseQueens! I curtsy to you (but stiffly, because I’m NOT an ExerciseQueen!).

Rie – I’m anxious to hear about Sean.

Freda – thanks for the words of support (from all of you) about the job… I’m going to need to pick the brains of those of you who work with hormonal gangbangers to get ideas on how to control the environment! Maybe I should start by not referring to them as HGBs?? It should be interesting! At least, I’ll know that I tried!

TeaGranny – hello! How's your son?

KoalaLou – I so much enjoy your posts. Stay with us!!

Nothing on the agenda today. It’s really lovely outside, so I might wash sheets and hang them out. Everything is pretty much status quo (as in no movement, not necessarily as in contentment!). It sounds like you’re all doing pretty well! See you on the other page!! Happy Tuesday, Lovelies!

Last edited by jess1; 07-19-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:37 AM   #330  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Okay. Tuesday, Day 2 of my 47-day campaign. (Oh, PT – as unrealistic as it may be, I’m going to aim for a 20 pound loss…and get just as close as I can to that number.) Day 1 went very well; I came in under 1,000 calories – something around 900 actually, and ate very well, wasn’t at all hungry. Now, my (eating) plan is to alternate calorie days – similar to the “Wendie” plan whose rationale is that the reason we dieters get into non-losing mode after a few weeks or so of good losses is because our bodies adjust to the lower caloric intake by slowing down our metabolism to avoid starvation. SO, to keep that from happening, the “Wendie” plan says that we should *fool* our bodies into maintaining high metabolic rates by eating more calories on some days and less on others. The higher calorie days help to keep our metabolism in high gear so that we’re really taking advantage of those lower calorie days. Not that the high calorie days are super-high; just higher than the low-calorie days, ie.; under 1,000 calories on the low-cal days and maybe 1400 calories on the high day. ANYhoo, yesterday I had a cup of Fiber One cereal (original) in half a cup of skim milk + half a cup of strawberries and about 40 blueberries for breakfast. For lunch, 3 eggplant “meatballs” mashed into a small 45-calorie sandwich-sized pita with mustard, 15 kettle-cooked dark russet potato chips, 30 seedless grapes and a pint bottle of water. Then for supper, because we didn’t get our supper at home on Sunday night because of the shower, we had those marvelous farm stand tomatoes, two ears of sweet corn apiece (with 0-calorie spray olivio instead of butter) and to-die-for stir-fried garlic spinach. The colors – the bright green spinach, the lush red tomatoes, and the yellow corn – made a really attractive plate (I’ve been thinking “presentation”, here.) I’ve made up my mind to have a meatless meal at least twice a week, if not more. I can eat fresh greens any day, and now that we can get fresh veggies at the farm stands, I’m good without any meat at all.
Enough about me. Some of you have asked how you could help me on this serious effort to look ultra-good at ds’s wedding…..and I have to say that you are ALREADY helping! Just reading the posts every day and getting the occasional “attagirl” is just what I need – so THANKYOU, GGs!
Nancy, I guess I have to chime in with the rest here who have related their own struggles with depression. I’m pretty good at recognizing it in someone else, but when it comes to myself, I don’t have much patience. I always remember my mother saying “Get ahold of yourself!” in this very commanding tone whenever I got emotional about anything or cried for any reason…she was a great one for that old British “stiff upper lip” lifestyle. And, while I have certainly worked with my share of clients who were situationally depressed or clinically depressed, or some combination thereof, and understood perfectly well that they couldn’t control it on their own, I have typically held myself accountable according to my mother’s definitions, rather than the *real* definitions and diagnoses. BUT, having said that, acknowledge it or not, I have had, and still do have, some very down times when I feel very futile about everything and question the very reason for existence. Seriously. So, no, Nancy, you really aren’t alone at all – many if not most of us have been there, done that, got the T-shirt, and will probably be there again at one time or another. So hang in there – the best we can do is be here for each other, and I sure am glad that we are!
Gotta run – bak later!
Z
Closed Thread