Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Howdy all....Day has jumped from dark and cloudy to sunny and now back again to dismal. Having just one friend over for early dinner. Been a cooking weekend.

Got thinking last night(and that's a challenge there) about Bobbi saying I spend alot. Nope....I bought a pound of red shrimp for about $9. I feed the 4 of us lunch with that and used the leftovers for dinner and breakfast as a fiattata. So I got 8 meals out of the pound. My biggest expense was the damn bread I had to buy when the biscuits came out as hockey pucks. And no leftovers they ate the whole loaf.($3) and the yellow squash was pennies. Red pepper (.89) and local and I had a baking potato. Oh forgot the scallops they were out of freezer and we caught them last summer. We eat well but have always used home grown or locally grown stuff or caught.

Years ago when living on the Eastern Shore of Md, a friend was doing home health work and she laughingly said it amazed her that "poor folks" diet was what people paid a fortune for. They had crab, seatrout, rockfish, vension and chicken for proteins and then grow vegies by the ton. Mrs Paul. Campbell Soup and all the chicken growers have plants there. When the kids were young we suplimented groceries with vension, home grown beef and pork. Plus a garden. Later on Elk and bear(once). Most deer i ever butchered in one day was 12!!!!!! Not wrapped but cut up into steaks and roasts plus ground up. I'd do yours but you wrap.

Tickles me no end that my daughter is now living my life and using my recipes. Best vension one is: slice roast into thin thin slices, bread in italian bread crumbs and eggwash. Fry until pretty goldbrown, place on baking sheet. Bake 350 for 20 minutes and serve with canned green beans that have been marinated in italian salad dressing. Cost 2 eggs??? oil for frying.....can of beans??? and cup of salad dressing. Not much and feeds a crowd.

My biggest food expense is Dash's turkey thighs, but the alternative is putting him down. So he is now listed as our million dollar dog.

I fed all those bridge players ....80-100 lunches for $18-20 total.

I love to cook and watch people enjoying my food, but I always have a private hook in there. Like tonight the sweet potato casserole is SF and some of those potatoes i got free last Fall. Never say SF or LF. Never say D.I.E.T.

Well it's time go make that sweet potato casserole.....be back later karen3

ps still waiting for that martini!!!!!

Last edited by Karen3; 03-06-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Well a quick update. Our son came home this afternoon about 3:30pm. Said he was really sorry and that he knows he should have called and kept in touch. BUT he was just hanging out with some friends he had met!! He said it was a schedule conflict last night and he has it all straightened out now. Was in a hurry since he had to get cleaned up and get ready to go to work. Of course, I'm not happy with him at all and feel like Judge Judy--"you how you can tell he is lying--his mouth is moving!" I talked to my hubby and he said we will have more discussions tomorrow. I'm not going to let this continue. I really don't mind helping him out if he tries to help himself, but I am not going to let him disrespct me, his Dad and our home! OK, update over and I'm pooped!! Cleaned "Blessed" our house all day and it looks really nice. I still need to chase the vacuum cleaner tomorrow but then I should be all caught up for a few minutes anyway!! Take care everyone and Thanks for being such good listeners!!

Last edited by Karen31; 03-06-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #78  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Mornin'
I had a migraine all night, woke up with it too. DH just gave me a deep neck/shoulder massage and it's helping already.
KarenMo...I was thinking your DS went back to join his old girlfriend, apparently not. I second what Freda said, tough love. You'd think once they got to that age they'd grow up and not put anymore grey hairs on your head.
That was an interesting web site you sent me about what people around the world are eating. You should post it here, especially after talking about what some of us are eating. I'm just trying to take a mental photo in my mind of what the picture would look like at our house. If I put last week's consumed food in the picture, I'd see more clearly what I shouldn't have eaten, what I should eat more of. That could turn into a mini challege for me, maybe I'd kick myself off this plateau. I did lose a smidge of fat when I weighed into Biggest Losers but that was so small, salt retentions affects my weight a great deal. Please post that article Karen and lets talk about putting a wake up call to the Golden Girls this week. I know it would help me.......lots of work. Maybe we can get pictures of our weeks worth of food and post it next Monday?

Last edited by Bobbolink; 03-07-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Morning Karen....sounds like it was a super stressful weekend. Glad you can vent here. Getting ticked off and cleaning the house must have helped. It's really good that you and DH are together on this. Close your eyes and knew we are sending you hugh GG hugs....karen3

ps hi Bobbi

Last edited by Karen3; 03-07-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:51 AM   #80  
Bobbi

Okay....forget the mini challenge with photos. I was just sitting here thinking about all the work that would envolve. But something that would not be so much work, writing it down or taking notes off my Fitday, then adding it together at the end of the week and posting it. Like so many ounces of vegetables, ounces of meat, beans, etc. Any junk food, which I do indulge in on Sundays. etc.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #81  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Good Morning! Bobbi, I just tried to copy and paste that email here but the pictures don't show up at all... I did email it to everyone that I have an email address for. If you didn't get the email or want one PM me your email and I will send it to you.

Well, I do feel better about getting my hosue cleaned up. BUT can you believe after all that ---he got home about 12:45am, which is normal since the store closes at 11:00 and then the paperwork, but then came in and told us he was going to go back over to the bartenders house to "visit" a while and would be back later. Still waiting!! Dad is telling him today that he has two options, he can stay here but that means he stays here, or he can move out! Not having it both ways! We don't even have him pay anything to stay here so he should have already had enough money saved up for a place and would have if he hadn't sent around $1,000 to "the thing" in Colorado!! Things have to change!

Well, need to get going and get my workout in before the day gets away from me. Be back later.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #82  
Bobbi

Karen...I googled what people eat around the world and Time magazine has it, not sure if it's the same one you sent me. Everyone just google what people eat around the world and you'll see what we're talking about.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 03-07-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #83  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Just popping in to say good morning

Bobbi ~ sorry about your headache ~ hope it is letting up now.

Karen MO ~ sorry about the troubles with your son. Mine makes my heart ache. He is a good guy, but doesn't always make the best choices ~ doesn't use good sense sometimes. He would like to meet a nice woman and settle down, but the ones he hooks up with end up being real loo-loos.

It is sun shiny here today ~ yea. Kind of chilly though.

Hello to everyone else ~ I'll check back later.

Take care
Old 03-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #84  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Good Morning, All...
I'm not sure I like this font and size... What do you think?

KarenMO, I know how hard it is to tough love your kids... but this is not a small child here! He's ACTING like a small child, yes, testing his boundaries like a toddler. You're going to feel like crap, whatever you decide to do. At least, DH is with you on this, which makes it a little easier to make and stick to a decision. Good luck! Good thoughts abound!

Our touted snowstorm has arrived... I think. There's a slight dusting. Our WeatherFools have to be the worst!! If we don't get some winter soon, we're going to have a horrendously terrible summer, and none of you want to listen to me if THAT happens!

Nothing to report! I hope all are well. Bobbi, I'm so sorry you woke up with a migraine again... do you have any doc apptments this week to help?

Everyone, good Monday!

Last edited by jess1; 03-07-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #85  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Monday, Monday…..ack. I don’t know what my problem is, but after grocery shopping yesterday, running other errands and such, and cooking supper, I couldn’t sleep worth a darn last night. Didn’t even feel like lying down until close to midnight, then read a book for over an hour, turned the light out, and tossed and turned and tossed and got up to the bathroom, back to tossing and turning, kept checking the time – 1:00, 2:00, 3:30, etc., etc. I may have dozed some, but it was very on and off, and my alarm was set for 5:30. Needless to say, I am NOT exactly peppy today. Lots to do, though, and I am taking a much needed break in what turned out to be a VERY danged busy morning. I am horribly envious of those like you, Bobbi, who no longer have to look forward to weekends to get a break. I look forward with great anticipation to not giving a hoot what day it is.
Freda, I don’t know about uninvited kids coming to birthday parties, but I do know that they have become incredibly complicated and expensive affairs. We have a “Chucky Cheese” place that has all sorts of play equipment and such, plus “Chucky” who, from what I can understand, is a big mouse or rat or something (human being in costume) who performs for the kids, and they have that greasy pizza, etc., and birthday cake. I don’t go to those – or haven’t in the past, but I see parties for the twins hovering on the near horizon, and I suspect that I will be recruited to attend those. In the past, with the older grandkids, they usually would do a party at someplace like that, or at a roller skating park, or someplace equally loud and kid-filled, and we (DH & I) have been graciously invited to a separate “family” party for cake & ice cream and gifts and balloons and such, but without all the screaming kids. Just lucky so far, I guess.
I got that email about the groceries from different parts of the world – Donna/Jess sent it along to me – and it really is quite an eye-opener. I was appalled at that couple from southern US (I forget where, exactly) but their food was SO unhealthy – they certainly could’ve eaten a whole lot better for the money they spent. And of course comparing what we in the mainstream have available to us in comparison to those people living in third-world countries is downright incredible. Of course, it always amazes/upsets me to think of the excess that some folks have – I’m talking about throwing million dollar parties and such – compared to the abject poverty that others are faced with. It’s just SO crazy.
YOU can certainly stretch a dollar when it comes to feeding people, Karen3 – maybe you should write a book about how to do it. I betcha it would be an overnight best seller!
Karen31, I guess I’m wondering WHY this son of yours is living in your house rent-free? Not that I have all the answers, by any means, but it does seem that if he’s not responsible for even his basic living expenses – including rent, or room & board – why should he be accountable? Why shouldn’t he do whatever he wants with his money, including sending it off to that crazy woman? Yikes! If I were you, I guess I’d be cleaning my house morning, noon and night trying to work off MY irritation…hmmm…make that a little stronger than irritation. Make that RAGE. (But I do tend to be a little more easily riled than most).
Good morning, Gayle. Thanks for popping in!
Hey, PT! Most of our snow is melted. Somehow, that doesn’t make me feel all that secure. I’m kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop, you know? Like another huge blizzard when we least expect it. I don’t like too much heat, either, but mostly what I hate is humidity. Dry heat doesn’t bother me nearly as much as when everything is moist and drippy, and it feels like you’re carrying a wet blanket on your back. Oh, summer…Yay (not). I wish it could be October all year long!
Okay – hi to everybody else, and have a great day!

Z
Old 03-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #86  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

I like the new avatar, PT! You look very dignified and very competent.... oh, yes, and beeyoutiful, too!!
Old 03-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #87  
GmaTo8

Jess/Donna - I love the new font and size! Very easy to read! Thank you!
Old 03-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #88  
Bobbi

Jane......do you know how refreshing you are? A few years ago we had a moderator called *****, she didn't last long after we clashed. I have used the same color, the same font and the same size as long as I can remember. Our moderator sent me a private post sayings it was too large and others were complaining about the size and color. She told me to lower the size, think about a different color to appease everyone. She was power hungry, bossy and narrow minded. She had a very successful weight loss journey and had the WHOLE JOURNEY POSTED on all her posts. I asked if she was going to remove all that history on her post plus a few choice words, got a snotty post back that she was very offended. She left shortly after that, good riddance. I don't think anyone complained about my posts, only her.
Anyway, I'm so happy that you like all the bigger fonts.
P.S. Zoe...guess I missed that part about Karen's son living there rent free. Sorry KarenMo, but I sure do agree with Zoe. Maybe that's something you and hubby should think about. How old is he?
Donna...it's snowing here too, suppose to get3-5 inches. I've got herb starter kits growing, they'll probably be too big by the time all the snow melts around here.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 03-07-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #89  
Bobbi

Interesting........I can't live without my Fiber One for breakfast but think I could work in some black beans in my daily veggie soup. I eat tons of apples so no problem there. For myself, eggs in the morning are only for special times like Christmas brunch. But whatever works for you!

Quote:
Weight Loss Tips For Women
1. Eat eggs for breakfast
Listen, 80% of fat people skip breakfast regularly while 80% of skinny and lean people eat a good breakfast everyday. This simple tip alone will correct a lot of your eating habits. Eggs are the best choice for breakfast since they're high in protein and fill you up.
2. Eat 1 can of black beans everyday
Black beans are a "superfood" in that they are cheap (50 cents a can), have 25 grams of protein, and best of all they have 25 grams of fiber. That's pretty much all the fiber you'll need for the day... all in 1 can. I recommend that you eat a 1/2 can during breakfast and 1/2 can during lunch. Earlier in the day is better, but don't worry if you can't do that.
3. Eat 3 apples a day
Look, I know this tip will bore you and you'll roll your eyes at the simplicity. I get it. But if you don't do this, you're leaving some easy weight loss pounds "on the table". You can lose 2-2.5 pounds a month for 2-3 months just using this tip alone. It's so mindlessly easy, I can't figure out why more people don't do it.
The best way to do this is to eat the apple as snacks between meals, but eating them right before meals helps also since it crowds out some of your meal's calories.
So try these 3 simple weight loss tips for women and you'll be seeing accelerated weight loss in just a few days
Old 03-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #90  
Sherry

S/C/G: 205/187.2/150

Height: 5'2" (really 5'1 1/4" ( but I refuse to accept that - I don't care what the doctor says!)

Hi Everyone - Beautiful day today - snow is melting & the temp is actually above 0C - YAY! Positively balmy! And yesterday too. I even got the dog out for a walk yesterday & there is one in his afternoon today too. Went to aquafit this am & the instructor worked us really hard but it was fun. Karen31: OK - I have to agree.....why is your son living there rent-free? If he wants to do what he wants to do & not adhere to the house rules, then maybe he should move out & start paying his own way. That would wake him up! I'm also glad your hubby is on the same page you are; you need the united front for sure. I also agree with "tough love". Know that we all are thinking of you & hoping things work out for the best for everyone. Bobbi: I hope your headache is better now. The weight loss tips sound interesting. I'm house drudging a bit today, laundry & getting outside. Who knows how long this nice weather is going to last?! Everyone have a wonderful day - love this site!
Closed Thread