Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #256  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Monday, Monday…..well, feeling a tad bit better after a pretty sluggish weekend. I’m sitting here eating my oatmeal & fresh blueberries, and am quite pleased to report that when I (finally) weighed myself yesterday, that mean old scale of mine actually reported a six pound loss for the past 3 weeks. I am freshly motivated to continue along my path of restraint and calorie (and fiber) counting. Seems to be working, and I’m hoping to be looking close to acceptable by Memorial Day weekend. I’ve got to say that you-all have really set good examples, and for a little negative reinforcement, whenever a thought creeps to mind involving my eating something that isn’t on the menu I created for myself, I remember your comment, Gayle, about “Jabba the Hut”, think about my view in the mirror of myself sitting on my bed struggling into a pair of panty hose, and any desire for off-plan food immediately drops out of my thoughts. Gawd, what a picture, huh? (Thanks, Gayle, for this very valuable visualization…) I did manage, with a lot of assistance from dh (washing veggies, cleaning up as I went along) to make a nice big pot of chicken veggie soup for us to have through the week. I used mustard greens, celery, onions, carrots, black beans and about 9 skinless, boneless, organic, antibiotic-free, humanely raised, etc., etc. chicken breasts chopped into @ 1” cubes. Used lite College Inn chicken broth and boullion, seasoned it with cumin, pepper and garlic…and YUM-O. We had it for supper last night and will probably have it again tonight and freeze the rest in individual-sized portions to take out as needed. So far, so good.
Nancy, Like you, I have no problem looking older if that’s what it is we’re looking when we shed the weight that’s been keeping our faces puffy and baby-ish. I think we should age not only gracefully, but elegantly, and there’s nothing more elegant that a “mature” woman with nice bones – bones that you can actually see, I mean. So, enjoy your bones, lady, because they look danged elegant, as far as I’m concerned!
Mary, so you’re a nurse, too? Wow, we sure seem to have a lot of nurses in here. I’m glad you-all don’t know about me fainting at the sight of blood. (It’s true…I’m growing faint just thinking about it…)
Karen3, I think that must be why I am becoming more and more hermit-like, the older I get. See, I wouldn’t want VP responsibility, so if you wanted to take on the job, as far as I would be concerned, you could have it, and I not only wouldn’t oppose you, I’d feel eternally grateful. I’ve been sitting on the boards of several local foundations and such for a number of years now, and I see the same sort of thing go on in those meetings. They don’t worry about me issuing any challenges to their positions, because I flat out don’t want ‘em! In fact, once I retire from my day job, I think I’ll be letting the board memberships go, too. I might take up fishing or something. SOLO fishing, that is. Or not. Come to think of it, with SOLO fishing, I’d be the only one there to put the worm on the hook, right? Ack! Okay, not fishing, then. Something alone, though. After working with a bunch of looney tunes for the past ten years – well, for the better part of my life, actually – and always having to deal with people, I think I’m going to need a little time without any people in it for a while. Or with very few, anyway. However, having said all that, I must say that I enjoyed your whining immensely. SO nice to have someone other than myself do it!
I shall indeed offer up a pat on the back, Karen31! Somehow, as I’ve always believed was needed to truly stick to a weight loss plan, you have had that little “click” go off in your head, and you’re now in the groove and on your way to a happy, healthy new Karen. I am absolutely delighted for you – loved the wedding pictures, and also the one you showed us some time ago (years?) of you and your Dad. If I were you, I’d have that one pinned to my refrigerator door. Soooo pretty!
Bunti, Hmmmmm. Rockin’, you say? I was actually aiming for a more sophisticated image at the wedding. I love my intended daughter-in-law, but really can’t stand her parents. Since my son is mixed racial (and about the handsomest man imaginable) it’s taken them a very long time to reconcile themselves to the match, even though he is capable of, and already does provide for their daughter in grand style. That, plus the fact that they are a perfect couple in every respect. I’m afraid it’s going to take every bit of self-restraint that I can muster to be pleasant and civil towards them, and I will, of course, be exactly that, but not without a huge effort, trust me.
Freda, I’m not exactly sure how formal or informal the actual wedding will be – I’m just getting bits and pieces – a catered pig roast Saturday night, garden wedding on Sunday – and only know for sure that the bride’s sister is maid of honor and my son-in-law (DD’s husband, twin’s dad) is the best man. I think they’re keeping the actual wedding party just that small because if they open it up to the groom’s sisters and the bride’s friends (she is still close to a whole bunch of sorority sisters) the thing will turn into a circus, and no matter how many they DO include in the wedding party, there will be an equal number with hurt feelings because they weren’t. But, having said that, there will be a huge number of guests staying at a hotel not far from the wedding site, and they’ll be included in all the festivities all 3 days. Omigawd….now I’m beginning to wonder how much this is all actually going to cost! Oh – sorry the son’s birthday dinner wasn’t so hot. I hope he enjoyed the shopping, tho….let me guess, some new electronic gadget???
Good going, Lyn….and yes, we’ve got to stick together on this. After all, WE are the Massachusetts team – just you and I, chickie. Now, let’s show ‘em what we’re made of! (NOT sugar & spice & everything nice and filled with empty calories, either!)
Hope you’re enjoying the tropics, Lynn. We’re expecting snow today. Boooooooooooo!!!!!
Omigoodness, Tea! Bullriding? Well, we don’t see much of that hereabouts, I must say. Continued thoughts and prayers, and heartfelt wishes that once recovered, he decides to take up Chess!
Bobbi, if you were even THINKING about Zumba, you’re not nearly as lazy as I am, because I wouldn’t even THINK about it, trust me…
Hope your weekend was nice, Rosey, and hope your dh is doing better.
Hey, PT…any more snow out your way? We’re supposed to be getting some today. Ack. Spring, right! Sometimes I just wanna get on a plane and….I dunno…..land on some deserted tropical island…wait a minute….a DESERTED island means no stores, no Olay regenerating lotion, no Bath & Body works, no Fiber One cereal….okay. I’m staying put. The snow has to melt sooner or later, doesn’t it?
Okay. I have undoubtedly missed folks. Please know that I’m apologetic, but hey, this IS an “over 50” group, y’know? The memory tends to get a little foggy when I haven’t seen someone post for awhile.
Love ya, tho…

Z
Old 03-21-2011, 10:53 AM   #257  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Good Morning Golden girls,
Nothing exciting going on around here. Our nice weather has melted lots of snow. I purchased a turkey breast a couple of days ago since it was on sale so that'll be an easy supper tonight. I looked for some wax beans in two different grocery stores to put in my 4 Bean salad, couldn't find any. What's with that?
My church is having a Flower Tour to raise money for our youth group. I was asked if our home could be included in the tour. I said yes without even thinking about it, but now I'm getting nervous. We have a beautiful shade garden in the back yard but it'll be lots of work getting it ready for the tour in late June. DH is going to put up chicken wire (fencing) around the annuals after I get them planted, then he'll pull the fence the day of the tour. We have a zillion rabbits around here and they ate 8 new perennial I planted last fall. I'm not sure if they'll come back or not.
I'll do personals some other time, Charlie has a vet appointment this morning and DH is ready to go.
Later Gator
Old 03-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #258  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning GG's,

Just a quick drop in with a question. spent the morning at the vets. my little Benny dog has to have eye drops for dry eye. Quite expensive. Any one know if the on-line pet pharmacy places are Good? I figured I could ask you ladies. together I figure we know almost anything! ha

freda

Last edited by the slim me; 03-21-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:03 PM   #259  

Height: 5'3"

Dogs get dry eyes too? I did not know that but I guess they are suseptible to mostly the same things as humans. I have dry eyes and use the otc drops. I don't have pets so don't know anything about the online pet sites, sorry.

I have spent all morning listening to this: "Sugar Bitter Truth" video. It was long and quite a bit of chemistry but interesting. It basically comes down to be fat or fart! LOL In case you don't want to take time to listen to it, here are the main things I took from it.
1. Fructose acts the same as ethanol and is a poison. Do not drink any beverages containing sugar and esp sodas, sports drinks, and fruit juice. Most fast food contains it too and what doesn't is way too high in fat and sodium so is still not good except for the salad (without dressing ony I'm sure).

He said when God created the poison He also created the package (actual fruit-fiber), and that's the only healthy way to consume it. Always make sure your carbs come with fiber.
2. Wait 20 min. before having seconds.
3. Exercise not to burn off calories but for these reasons:
a. Exercise improves insulin activity.
b. Exercise reduces stress which tends to reduce appetite.
c . Exercise burns off the "bad stuff" (my words) BEFORE it turns into fat. So exercise gives us a higher metabolism.
4. Fiber has been decreased in our diets due to wanting to be able to keep foods longer, be able to ship them and also because it decreased the rate of carb absorption which causes gas. That's where the fat or fart comment came in!

I hope I got that all right but if I have made any mistakes in this info, it is entirely due to my own misunderstanding not the speaker in the video. Just thought it was interesting and know some people may not want to sit through it all.

Ok, wanted to share but need to get back to work...hope you all have a good day.

Fortunately I did a lot of things when I first got up this morning...stripped the sheets, got a wash load going, cleaned toilets, took out trash etc...but nothing since so still have to get to my housework, but thought I'd just quickly check in with my GGs!

Last edited by maryea; 03-21-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #260  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Freda, My Aunt buys Angel Eyes tear drops for her Yorkie and I have a cousin who buys them for both of her Maltese babies. What kind of drops are they wanting you to get?

I also buy my Frontline Plus from Ebay--- a whole lot cheaper than the vet and it is the same stuff!!

Last edited by Karen31; 03-21-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #261  
lynard

S/C/G: 214/206/180

Height: 5'9"

Zoe - SIX Pounds!!!! WOW Good for you!!
Old 03-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #262  

Got a little bit of time here before Dancing with the stars comes on-- Love that show! Zoe, That is fantastic losing 6 pounds!!! You are doing great!

These pictures here are of Bonnie and Clyde's Hideout! It is over in Joplin not to far from where I was born. They are doing a new movie and a couple weeks ago they had a big "casting call" for extras. I just thought that it was kind of neat and wanted to share.

Well, guess I don't have that long after all--- the girls want to go outside.

Be back later....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bonnie and Clyde Hideout #1.jpg (36.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Bonnie and Clyde Hideout #2.jpg (34.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Bonnie and Clyde Hideout #3.jpg (28.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #263  

Height: 5'3"

I'm back again.....feel better now as I finally got more done around here. I finished the laundry, mopped the kitchen floor, vacuumed the whole house and remade the bed. My dh helped me switch around the bedside tables...so I can sleep on the side I used to before his accident...and he's so smart...he suggested we just change the drawers and stuff on top...wish I'D thought of that the night I changed them around by myself before! As he says, I'm so smart in some ways and so dumb in other ways!

Dinner tonight was simple and good...hamburger patties (his on bun, mine without), leftover green beans reheated, and sliced tomatoes. Unfortunately I had chocolate Cheerios for dessert.
After watching that video I had decided to throw them out but instead I ate them! But I promise I won't buy any more!
Old 03-22-2011, 01:15 AM   #264  

Hi everyone..here it is 9pm and its still lite out i luv spring and summer here.Zoe congrats on your loss and the same to everyone else thats dropped a few..thanks for the well wishes for my dh,his tests said hes normal and his dr said hes just taking time to heal and by nature my dh is avery impatient man.. i spent the day playing with my beads i was tired of scapbooking(temp. im sure) but havent done any bead work for ages. my dd told me last nite that a friend of hers son is terminal brain cancer and the only hope is a treatment out of the usa not covered by their ins,they are having an auction to raise funds so i thought i would make some hair barretts and amulet purse necklaces to donate..fun for me and a worthwhile cause.nothing else new accept my new exercise equipment came.i'll post a picture..boy my dh better watch his P&Q's now ttfn (((hugs))) rosey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 249.jpg (23.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 03-22-2011, 08:01 AM   #265  

S/C/G: 250/142/150

Height: 5'4"

Mornin’ GGs,
Just stopping by to say Hi! Nothing much going on with me. Nice spring weather here. Yay! And, my house is a mess, & I know it’s time for a good “spring cleaning”, but just can’t seem to get started. Mary, you’re so busy, makes me tired just to read about all you’re getting done! Could you maybe send some of that energy my way?! Oh, & that video sounds interesting, but, so much information to take in. Seems we’re constantly bombarded with all these “facts” & “rules” that we need to stay healthy, but there’s no way we can even remember them all, much less live by them! Thinking about that makes my brain tired! I think I’m noticing a theme here. Could be I’m just sleepy & need to head back to bed. But this is such a good time for me to get on the internet!

Well, before I go, I HAVE to congratulate you, Zoe! Six pounds in 3 weeks! Yay! Yay! Yay! That’s 2 pounds a week! You’re doing great! You’re going to be all svelte & gorgeous in plenty of time for that wedding. You’ll just impress the heck out of your son’s snotty new in-laws! And, elegant? Me? Well, thanks, but ….. I’m just too “down-home country” for that. You’re going for sophisticated, me, more like uh, wholesome?! (What is the word I’m looking for?)

Bobbi, the shade garden sounds lovely - must be to be included on a flower tour! You are going to show us pics, right? I don’t do gardens. I not only have a “black thumb”, I also hate digging in the dirt, & bugs & snakes - yuck! I do love looking at them though, gardens that is, not bugs & snakes.

Ok, really sleepy now, I don’t know if I’m making sense or not (did I ever?). Quickly, Rosey, I’m really glad your DH is okay. And, I want me some of those pink boxing gloves (maybe not - I’d be dangerous). KarenMO, interesting pics. Another movie about Bonnie & Clyde? Don’t you hate it when people romanticise criminals? Freda, I have bought flea medicine (Advantage) for the cats online (from Drs. Foster & Smith) & it was a little cheaper than at the vet. And Hi! Lyn, & Everyone!

Time to nap.
NCNancy
Old 03-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #266  
Grateful

S/C/G: 262/tracker/175

Height: 5'7"

Just a quick check in....will be back later to read and reply further, but I had to shout...lost 6.6 pounds my first week! If only I could do that every week (LOL). I am happy to be able to nudge my tracker down toward my first mini goal. I have hopes of seeing the top of the 240s a week from today. Woo hoo!

Hugs all around! Everyone have a GREAT day!
Old 03-22-2011, 09:43 AM   #267  

Good Morning! Just drinking my slimfast and then will be doing my workout.

Rosey, Love the gloves!!! I think we all need those just to keep everyone "in line" Well, OK make them think anyway.

Nancy, you might check on ebay for the Advantage for your cats. It is so much cheaper and is exactly the same thing. I get a 12 month supply for $29.95. Of course, that I split between the two so it is only a 6 month supply for me but it sure beats the price the vet wants! In fact, I checked with Dr's Foster and Brooks and it beats their price too. And it is almost always free shipping.

Bobbi, you will have to take some pictures and show us. I still don't know too much about flowers and such around here but I enjoy them.

OK, time for me to get busy and get this workout done. Be back later......
Old 03-22-2011, 09:46 AM   #268  

Annie--you were posting at the same time as I was . Congrats on 6.6 pounds!! That is awesome! Sure makes you feel good to see that ticker move!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #269  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning GG's,

Busy day yesterday, with taking the "fur baby" to vet and then getting a few groceries and having the grands over for the evening. It has rained for 2 days. Very hard Sunday night and drizzle all day yesterday. April Showers a little early? And i'm beginning to see some spring flowers popping up. My tulips I believe, or what is left of them after the squirrels have so generiously shared then with the neighbors. Thanks to all of you for the information on the pet meds.

Annie, congratulations!!! That is some loss.

Z, good for you! You are going to be lolking good for that wedding. Not that you don't alrady, but slimmer. I can see you could pull off sohphisticated. Me, I'm really happy with Healthy girl next door. Couldn't pull off the sophistication. But I admire it. I think we all have our own styles and should be happy with them. Thinking about the "mother of the groom" dress?

Karen, thanks for the information about the ordering online meds. I'm going to take a chance. This is very expensive stuff and saving a little will be a big help. It's actually "restasis" eye medication. I went to CVS thinking they might have something simular that I could use, that was OTC. The Pharmacist was kind enough to look it up for me. He said that It was twicce the strength of the script that he would give to a person, and a script for them would be over 100.00. He said that was quite a good price. I think that is a good example of how they jack the prices up! I think they figure you have insurance, let them pay through the nose. But what about the people who do not have insurance? Just makes me angry. OH, the name of the eye drops are cyclosporine ophthalmic solution 1%.

Nancy, My house could use a good spring cleaning too, but I can't get in the mood untill It's sunny out and warmer. I hang too much outside. Like all the bedding and pillows and wash all the shades and hang them out to dry too. It's a big production, but my DH helps. I actually kind of enjoy it.

Rosie, glad you finally know that DH is ok and don't have to worry about him. Got to admit that i'm impatient too. I hate being sick and always try to rush things. But as we get older we seems to heal slower and recover slower. What kind of exericse equipment did you order? I know you told us, but my "old" mind has forgotten. Try not to do too much damage with those boxing gloves!

Bobbi, Your garden must be lovely, to have it included in the garden tour. Lots of work, but I love to garden too. I can't wait untill spring to go out and "play in the dirt". Perenials are really hearty, they should come back unless those pesky rabbits ate the root.

Mary, sounds like you'er getting your house back in order quickly. It's amazing how a house gets that Unlived in feeling so quickly, isn't it?

HI lyn, still doing well?

Lynn, I know you're in florida having fun, so i'll just wave a Hi.

Everyone, have a great day,

Freda

Last edited by the slim me; 03-22-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #270  
Grateful

S/C/G: 262/tracker/175

Height: 5'7"

The slim me and Karen31 – thanks! You know how that first week is—low-hanging fruit. Let’s see how week two goes. It is encouraging, though.

I am seeing some amazing S/C/Gs here….Nancyoyo, wow! Bobbolink, that is fantastic! And that is just on this page. What a great motivation. Everyone is doing such a great job. Yeah, us!!!!

It’s a windy day here in Oklahoma…high fire danger. The redbuds are blooming, though, and the forsythia is gorgeous. I just love spring! I am even looking forward to storm season.
Closed Thread