Old 02-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

Default Thyroid is the Culprit!

Hi Chicks,
I just got blood work results from a physical exam, and learned that I have an under-active thyroid, which causes sluggishness, no energy, and - guess what - weight gain! I've wondered over the last year or so why I seem to feel drained all day - to the point where I come home from work and can barely get up enough energy to make dinner for the kids, let along take the fast walks I used to do. I will begin taking meds for this tomorrow, and they will increase my metabolism, making most body systems work more effectively. I'm really hoping that I'll see faster weight loss, as I have been good and sticking to a very healthy diet since early January. Has anyone else had this problem, and then get treated for it? I would love to hear stories of what to expect.
WebWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #2  

I was gaining and losing the same 5 lbs forever it seemed. Initially, I had lost around 50, and then it stopped and gave way to the above mentioned. I was diagnosed with this a couple of months ago. I am now on Synthroid. I have noticed that I am losing weight steadily now, though it's not drastic. SO, you should lose weight steadily, but don't expect it to fly off. It just makes your metabolism more normal. Everyone's different though. I guess just wait and see. I bet you're relieved though, to find this out!
Rarr777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 155/150/129

Height: 5'4''

I gained about 30 lbs in 9 weeks, which was the biggest sign there was a problem, but I'd been feeling fatigued for a year or more. You'll probably start out on a low-ish dose (I started on 50micrograms) and then get blood tests to determine how much higher your doc has to prescribe. I'm up to 75mcg, and I definitely feel like I have more energy, and I haven't lost any weight at all but most noticeably the weight gain stopped. I feel like I'm turning the corner on my way back to my 'normal self' and I hope you're optimistic too. :-D
callie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:27 AM   #4  

Thanks for your input. I've been taking the med for 3 days now and can't believe the difference. I felt energetic enough to dust off the old treadmill the first day. On Saturday, went to the local rec center and took a weight class... Yesterday I took a 2+ mile walk/jog, something I haven't done in about a year. I've also been a whirling dirvish cleaning my house, baseboards, rugs, while making a big pot of WW vegetable soup and baking chicken to put in individual bags to freeze for lunch. I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but I don't feel as hungry throughout the day. It's like a magic pill so far for me! I do a weigh-in at WW on Tuesday (I just signed up) and will let you know if there's a drop.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #5  

Hi All,
I am 62 year old female. Have had 80% of my thyroid removed 20+ years ago as the result of a goiter. For many years now it has been a long trial of trying to get my Synthroid at the right dose. I have always had a problem losing weight and it does get frustrating. Some days I feel so tired I just have to push to get things accomplished. Had a Dr. appt today to schedule more blood work. Hope to get back on a diet plan (WW) and lose some of this weight. Would like to lose 90 lbs.
mazoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #6  

Mazoom, if you feel that tired and are still having trouble with weight, doesn't that indicate that your Synthroid RX needs to be increased? I was told that they start out low and increase the dose till blood tests indicate that the T4 and TSH levels are normal. Hope your Dr. appt. results in changes that help.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:31 AM   #7  

I feel you pain,,, i have had thyroid issues for 30yrs.. i can always tell if it is sluggish.. i gain weight in my stomach.. I am now trying to get it right also..
going for blood test again today
iamfirmin is offline   Reply With Quote