Age 50+ Counters Club #2

You're on Page 5 of 7
Go to
  • Hi everyone,
    I enjoy reading your posts and congrats for keeping up the good fight! I had tried to lose weight simply by watching fats and carbs, but that didn't seem disciplined enough for me so I had gained a few back. I started WW P+ about 4 weeks ago, and really like the program - fruits and veggies are OK with them, and I've weaned myself off breads and cookies altogether. I didn't buy the calculator thingy, as I thought it was just another way for them to make $, but most of what I eat is in the points book anyway. First week, lost 3 lbs, second 2.6, and third, 1.6. I weigh in again tonight and don't expect to see such large numbers, but I'm hoping to keep up the losing streak. Bunti, I don't think you're losing too fast at all, as it will slow down.

It's supposed to warm up to over 50 in Ohio today, so maybe I'll get in a walk after work. I am feeling a little better since I've been put on thyroid pills, even at the lowest dose, and I hope that's helping my energy level.

Have a good day!
  • Hi All - Me too - I really love reading everyone's posts & I get good ideas from them. I'm on WW P+ too & really like it. It's the 0 points fruits & most veggies that are great! I'm learning that breads, etc are triggers for me to eat more of them so I'm really trying to limit these if not eliminate them. At least for now. Went to the "dreaded" weigh-in today & lost 1 lb. This is bettter than gaining but would like a "woosh" sometime in the near future! We had a "fake spring" (I call it) & then today it has snowed - not much-but snowed! To all that have had good weeks, YAY! Tea, love your ticker. TTYL........
  • Hi Everyone,

Laffalot & Webwoman on your weight losses. Y'all are doing great.

Jane Thanks for the suggestions. You know squash especially zucchini squash is uses as subs for a lot of things so that just might work.

Read a new book similar to IE, but he calls it Thintuition instead. It is learning to listen to what your body is telling you. It was scary when I first started this, but find that my body really gets hungry for low carb foods. So it is quite interesting to learn what the body tells me it wants when I'm hungry.

Hope everyone is doing well.
  • Hi all,

WebWoman - It's so good to see you! I hope the thyroid meds helps your energy level, too. If you need any food calculated for WWP+ let me know, and I'll figure it for you. I'll need the protein grams, carbs, fat, and fiber numbers.

Laffalot - yay for the 1 pound loss! There are many times I would have been happy to see a pound loss! I sure could use a "whoosh" loss, too, lol.

Trish - listening to what our bodies need and want is a good thing. Sometimes, though, my brain and belly shout out, "Cookies! pizza! candy!" hahaha That's when I have to reread my Top 10 Reasons to Lose in my weight loss scrapbook.

It's drizzly and cloudy today - perfect for curling up with my novel after my everyday chores are done. I don't have anything planned to do until the Ash Wednesday service at church tonight.

Have a good, OP day!
  • Hi Everybody! Checking In
    Seems like we are all doing well. As most of you know, I "dropped the carbs" about six weeks ago and for the most part I do not miss them! I did buy myself a box of the Skinny Cow Caramel Truffle bars because I am in CONTROL now. I still do not eat bread as a rule and NO doughnuts or baked goods! Bread to me NOW is one flour tortilla per day or one deli flat (both about 100 calories). I like the truffle bars because Skinny Cow uses real sugar, not a substitute. In my college nutrition class last year I learned that substitute sweeteners tell the body that "real sugar is coming" hence those CRAVES! Faking sugar doesn't stop your body from wanting it.
    Yesterday I had to go to my sister's (no electric due to work being done). I, my sister and my brother had a yummy low carb, low fat lunch, sandwiches with squash fries on the side. BTW if anyone noticed that I changed my weight (oh-I DID lose 30 pounds) it was 'cos my scale was shot. I actually weighed 30-31 pounds more than I thought at the start. I discussed it on my blog. I will not let THAT STOP me!
    A good weekend to ALL!
  • Hello Everyone!! sounds like everyone has some true successes happening, yay us.

I am still happily plugging away on my WW plan, and feeling delighted about it. I too mostly avoid starches, but can have them with protein. And the fruit doesn't seem to slow me down. I have also re-discovered the pre-washed bags of snow peas, and at meetings, or trainings or even lunches, they are something wonderful for me to crunch on, yum.

Jane, I would like to hear more about your weight loss scrapbook. That sounds like a great idea.

Laffalot and Webwoman, congrats on the loss. Tamsin, you have still loss that 30 pounds, thats 10% wahoo!!!
  • Hi,

Tamsin - I'd heard that, too, about fake sugar, and so I use stevia or Sun Crystals, whenever possible. Sun Crystals sweetener is a combination of regular cane sugar and stevia. How many carbs grams are you eating a day? I just wondered, because I can't seem to get mine below 120. YAY for you, losing the 30 pounds!

Bunti - my weight loss scrapbook has my Mission Statement, my Top Ten Reasons to Lose, a month-to-month total pounds lost sheet, a list of 100 reasons to lose 100 pounds that I found here at 3FC, and photos of me as I've been losing. It centers me when I need it. I just love sugar snap peas. Isn't that about the same as snow peas? The crunch they give is oh-so-good!

The program at church that I was a hostess for was a big success, and I did GREAT with controlling food there. Church dinners can be so difficult! While the ladies were having dessert, I mingled, and refreshed drinks for others.

One of my grands will be here tomorrow, and then Sunday will be busy, but I'll still check in. Have a good weekend!
  • Hello everyone. Made it thru the weekend mostly on plan. Did my exercise and started a version of a weight loss notebook. I am not into scrap-booking, but would like to start. I have seen some wonderful ones.

Congrats on staying on program at the Church dinner Jane, that's a NSV for sure.

I lost another pound and a half last week. Wahooo!!!

I know there are all sorts of beliefs around sweeteners. I think that it behooves us to be very sparing with them. That being said, sugar is the most common and most addictive of them all. So your body wants more of "real" sugar as well. (for me, even more-- it is my drug)

I can eat diet jello, or a little artificial sweetener on my oatmeal-- and it doesn't start my craving. But I have been doing this for some time. My body may have learned not to expect the sugar, or it may be that most of the time it is with fiber(the oat bran), or at the end of a meal. (jello) (I use sweetnlow)
  • Jane,
    Congrats on a successful church function and staying OP! Those home-made goodies are so hard to resist. Bunti, congrats on losing 1 1/2 pounds!! My weigh-in is tonight, and I hope to see some kind of loss but would be thrilled with that amount. This WW version is much more user-friendly than the last one. My big problem is in the evening, which I'm trying to be very cognizant of. I love a glass of wine - or two - as I'm relaxing, and that usually leads to the munchies.
  • Hi all - I've been away a bit because of computer issues. Down another pound this week I know that I should be really happy but I feel ....poopy....like at this rate I will be approximately 750 years old before I reach goal. whine...snivel..... It is really tempting to eat less in order to lose faster and I KNOW that doing that will 1) freak out my body into resisting 2) cause muscle loss instead of fat loss...any healthy ideas for helping with a boost? I know I need to focus on how far I've come, not how far I have to go - I'm even thinking about stopping the weekly weigh in for a while and just go with how clothes are fitting. Has anyone tried taking a break from the scale - not from the diet plan - just the evil, lying, horrid scale??
  • Hi, all! Day two for me, and my first day to post here and get in the swing. I love what I see here....love the support and the information and the great people. So here I am, joining in!!!
  • I'm trying to beat the clock, but I wanted to stop in and say hi, and also a big to the new girl on the block - OKAnnie! . I'll be back later for a chat. In the meantime, we are doing GREAT, ladies! We aren't perfect, but we're persistent.

Ciao for now!
  • I have been looking at the before and after pictures....how inspiring! Can anyone point me toward the success stories of people over 50?
  • Hi all,

Bunti - thanks for the kind words. Congrats to you for another pound and a half! Scrapbooking can be whatever you want. For instance, a photo adhered to pretty paper and a caption added can be placed into your WW notebook. For example, I put a photo of me at my highest weight on a red sheet of paper, and added the date, and a note that it was me "before". I try to pick paper that either coordinates with the photo, or with the event. It's fun, but can be expensive when you start adding embellishments.

WebWoman - were you happy with your weigh-in? I hope so. Evening are a challenge for me, too, so I save points for a snack. One of my favorites for when I'm nearly out of points is celery with whipped cream cheese. Crunchy, tasty, and give me something to chew on.

Tea Granny - I know that when I'm stalling, it's so encouraging to take my measurements. The scale can be so fickle, and inaccurate, so this, and noticing how my clothes fit helps keep my spirits up when the scale is stubborn. There are many weeks that I lose less than a pound, so I know how you feel.

OKAnnie - I am so glad you joined us! You'll find lots of support here. There is no specific forum or thread for success stories for members over 50, but click here for inspiring goal reports from members of all ages.

Today the weather was just gorgeous, and I worked in the yard, getting things ready for spring. Tomorrow is supposed to be even warmer, and I plan to be outside as much as possible. We're having friends in for dinner on Friday, so I'll be working on that tomorrow, too.

I brought out a box of capris that used to be too small, and they fit me now! Whoot! I love NSVs like that!
  • Hi all,

Jane, congrats on fitting into those capris! I have a closet full of varying sizes of clothing, and am very close to fitting the next size down. Don't they say you lose a size for every 10 pounds? I lost only 1 pound this week at the weigh-in, and although that's good news, I'm impatient to see bigger losses. I will really try hard to lose at least 1.5 lbs this week. Hi to everyone, and keep up the good work!