3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   Book Thread (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/224577-book-thread.html)

maryea 06-06-2011 11:14 PM

I'm reading "Friend of the Devil" by Peter Robinson. I like his books. They are always (at least the ones I've read) about a homicide detective. As I've mentioned before I usually have two or three books going on at once. My Christian/inspiration book right now is Praying the Names of Jesus and I'm still working on The Dawn and the Darkness. Been at it a long time not because it's a difficult book to read...it isn't and it's very interesting but just lack of time or I forget.

Riemontana 06-07-2011 01:13 AM

One book by Nora Roberts: MontanaSky. A book about 3 very different sisters who are forced to live on a ranch in Montana to get their inheritanc. Lovely, whitty, intelligent book about the relationships amoung women.

Nora Roberts: the Quinn trillogy. Three formerly delinquent brothers make a deathbed promise to raise the newest adoptive boy. They are beautiful, volatile and endearing. The trillogy follows individual roamances of the brothers and the raising of the boy. Great story. They end up feeling like old friends.

Finally, Deen Koontz, watchers. If you have every believed that a dog understood every word, you will love this book. It explores our humanity and our relationships with other species. Haunting, endearing, and scary.

Hedgehog 06-08-2011 11:20 PM

:book2:

I just finished reading Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs. It is a thriller about a serial killer and the detectives working on the case. The protagonist is a forensic scientist, Dr.Temperance Brennan, who gets involved on a personal level. It is a bit graphic in the description of her job, but if you like the TV show Bones you'll like this book: It's based on Reichs' novels.

Laffalot 06-13-2011 02:51 PM

:) Hi All - I've read Kathy Reichs - like her. I'm reading Tess Gerritsen "Vanish" now. I really like her; also Karin Slaughter. I'm on the list at the library for "Unbroken", a true story about a guy that survived Japanese POW camp during WWII. My neighbor read it & said it was very powerful. I like medical mysteries, historical novels too. Anyway gotta go.....BFN :wave:

calee 07-23-2011 11:32 AM

Thanks for this great book list!

puneri 07-23-2011 12:52 PM

Has anybody read 20 years younger? I want to know w he ther it is. Good?

Bobbolink 07-23-2011 02:08 PM

Calee...you're welcome...I'll have to take the time to add all the books sometime. It kind of got away from me.

Riemontana 07-23-2011 02:33 PM

I love this thread! I forgot all about it.

maryea 08-02-2011 03:21 PM

Thought I'd posted these but couldn't find. Please excuse if it's a repeat. These are my very favorite fiction books and I have read them over and over through the years.

The Mirror by Marlys Millhiser (difficult to find anymore) about going back/forward in time.
Bad Desire by Gary Devon - maybe be offensive as it is about a man (married) and his relationship with a teenage girl. Sexy, psychological suspense.
Joy in the Morning by Betty Smith - haven't read this is a very long time but still have it and in the past have reread it often. I remember being young, in love and newly married with very little money but lots of hope for the future, so guess that's why it speaks to me.
The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier
There are more ...I'll post them when I have time.

gma22 08-02-2011 03:29 PM

Since the Lincoln Lawyer came out, I got hooked on Michael Connelly's books, either his Mickey Haller (lawyer) or Harry Bosch (detective) series are great. I love Dick Francis and will miss him since his passing, but his son Felix picked up the gauntlet and writes the same way as his dad,murder mysteries about jockeys and the world of British racing. I love Robert B Parker's Spenser books, Nobody beats Evanovich for humor, pee your pants kind of humor, the In Death series by JD Robb (Nora Roberts) and her Eve Dallas detective is great too. Sara Paretsky, Edna Buchanan are both good with regards to female main characters as is Sue Grafton's books. I love Steve Martini's Paul Madriani's series (lawyer.) I am one of those people that read purely for pleasure. If I want to learn something I go to school! lol Even though I don't post here, I am over 50 lol so I at least hit the mark there. Just wanted to share some terrific authors you might be interested in.

ladyinweighting 08-03-2011 07:07 PM

A new favorite mystery writer - Louise Penny. She's a REALLY good writer & has a series with a Canadian detective that I like.

Pamb 09-14-2011 10:13 AM

I have read all kinds of books this summer, picked up Designated Fat Girl, was ok, the author ended up having gastric bypass. going to read Small Farms are Real Farms when hubby gets done with it.
I bought two dvds of Nora Roberts books, Montana Sky and Northern Lights, I have read lots of her books too.
Just finished David Baldacci's One Summer, and picked up The Amen Solution, by Dr Daniel G Amen-might be interesting. I will be running the scale for corn chopping in a few days-so I should be able to read a lot.
Pam

sueurban 09-14-2011 10:59 AM

Peace Like a River

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobbolink (Post 3690606)
I'm starting this thread to list all our favorite books. Please post some of your favorites and I'll keep updating the list. Please put after the author/title the type of book, mystery, love story, etc. You can print out this list

Andrews, Donna
Arnout, Susan: "Frozen lady" love story in alaska
Atherton, Jane: The aunt Dimity mystery series
Austen, Jane
Baldacci, David mysteries who done it
Ball, Alan, American Beauty
Binchey, Maive "Tara Road"
Block, Francesca Lia, Wasteland -young adult book
Bohjalian, Chris The Double Bind
Bradley Marion Zimmer "Mists of Avalon" king arthur and his knights
Bradford, Barbara Taylor "a woman of substance" series about family dynasty emma harts retailing
Bristow, Gwen "Calico Palace" about the gold rush & Jubilee rail
Bronte, Charloote: Jame Eyre
Brown, Rita Mae and her cat
Brunstetter, Wanda-Amish
Camillari, Andrea : Montalbano series
Cato, Nancy "all the rivers run" about australia
Childs, Laura tearoom mysteries (10) with "Teaberry Stranger"
Christie, Agatha: mystery
Clavell, about japan "Shogun", "nobel house", "taipan"
Clement, Blaize
Coben, Harlen
Conroy, Pat South of Broad"
Cornwall, Patricia mystery Kay Scarpettas novels
Coulter, Catherine: Regencies and suspense
Davidson, Diane Mott, frothy mysteries with recipes
Davidson, Mary Janice, undead and unwed-funny!
Dawkins, Richard: The God Delusion - nonfiction
Delinsky, Barbara
DeMille, Nelson mystery
Diamant, Anita : The Rid Tent
Dibden, Michael: Aurelio Zen series
Donati, Sara historical romance and adventure
Evonovich, Janet Stephanie Plumm very funny
Fitzgerald, F. Scott The great Gatsby
Flagg, Fannie
Follet, Ken historical fiction or mystery who none it
Ford, Jamie Hotel on the Corner of Bitter & Sweet
Gabaldon, Dianna series historical romance couldnt put them down-Outlander
Gaiman, Neil: Coraline
Gerritsen, Tess Rizzoli & Isles mysteries
Gilman, Susan Jane Undress me in the Temple of Heaven
Grafton, Sue read up thru "U"
Giffin, Emily...chick-lit
Gordon, Mary: Final Payments
Hannah, Kristen
Harris, Charlaine: Sookie Stackhouse series...hard to put down
Henshaw, Susan mysteries with "Elected by Death”
Herzog, Brad Turn left at the Trojan Horse
Heinlein, Robert: The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
Hoag, Tami have newest waiting for me "Deeper than Dead"
Hosseini, Khaled The Kite Runner
Irving, John Cider House Rules
Karon, Jan The Mitford series
Kaye, MM about india and their culture love story ,"The Far Pavillions"
Kellerman, Jonathan for a good mystery...also his wife and son has good books.
Kesey, Ken: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Kidd, Sue Monk: The secret life of bees
Kohen, Kathleen historical fiction adventure "Through a Glass Darkly","And Now Face to Face"
Krantz, Judith "Mistrals Daughter" her other books are great to
Lamb, Wally "She's Come Undone
Lee, Harper: To Kill a Mockingbird
Leon, Donna: Brunetti series
Lescroart, John - if you like a good, well-written mystery, start with 1st book
Lively, Penelope
Ludlum, Robert spy who done it espionage mystery" Bourne Iden tity" series
Macomber, Debbie
Markhan, Beryl: West With the Night
Marshall, Catherine: Christy, A Man Called Peter
Mason, Marion ?? writes about judge in NC???
Montgomery, Lucy Maud: Anne of green gables series and Emily of New Moon
Murakami, Haruki: fiction and non-fiction
Nabokov, Vladimir: Lolita (literary)
Niffenegger, Audrey: The Time Traveler's Wife
Niven, David: The Moon's a Balloon, Bring on the Empty Horses
Page, Katherine Hall (8) with "Body in the Gallery" waiting for me
Palahniuk, Chuck: Fight Club
Parker, Robert (Spenser series are funny, mystery
Patterson, James just finished reading the 9th judgement
Perry, Martha writes about the Amish. i've learned a lot
Piercy, Marge “Gone to Soldiers”
Pigeon, Josie series and have 3 left there.
Pilcher, Rosamonde historical family dynasty "Coming Home", "The Shell Seekers"
Quindlen, Anna: Every Last One (Literary)
Rice, Luane
Roberts, Nora
Runbeck, Margaret Lee: Time for Each Other, Our Miss Boo
Sanford, John
See, Lisa: Sunwflower & the Secret Fan, Shanghai Girls
Setterfield, Diane The Thirteenth Tale
Sedaris, Dave: A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
Siddons, Ann Rivers
Simenon, George: Maigret novels
Smith, Alexander McCall Ladies Detective Agency series
Smith, Betty: A Tree grows in Brooklin, kid or older book
Smith, Wilbur ..family dynasty,s in africa, egypt "river god" and "7th scroll
Steele, Danielle worthless and inane
Stewart, Mary: Merline/Arthur trilogy
Stockett, Kathryn: The Help
Studdert-Kennedy, G.A.
Swanson, Denise (11) with "Wedding Bells" waiting for me
Tanenbaum, Robert mystery
Trollope, Joanna
TYheroux, Paul: travel books
Whitcomb, Laura: A certain Slant of Light (literary)
Woods, Stuart
Wolzein, Valerie

Enger, Lief: Peace Like a River -- adventure, tragedy, healing.

sueurban 09-14-2011 11:01 AM

I've read Peace Like a River, by Lief Enger twice -- once about 6-7 years ago, and again recently. It's just a lovely book, written with such beautiful prose and deep emotional expression.

sueurban 09-14-2011 11:05 AM

I recently read Stones from the River, by Ursula Heigl. I really, really enjoyed it, and will probably read it again in a few years... Amazon sayd this: "Stones from the River" follows Trudi Montag, a dwarf who serves as her town's librarian, unofficial historian, and recorder of the secret stories of her people, in a novel that charts the course of German history in the first half of the twentieth century." An excellent book, in my humble opinion.