Old 09-09-2010, 12:30 AM   #1  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Default Menopause = weightloss slow down?

I know it is harder to lose weight post-menopause but when does that "harder" part kick in?

I started this journey back in February 2010 right after I turned 52. No signs of menopause to speak of. I've been losing weight pretty good - 10 pounds a month - on 1500 calories a day and very moderate exercise so I think I'm pretty lucky!

May and August I had two TOMs which is very unusual for me but someone in some topic here said that's pretty common when you are losing weight as your body has extra estrogen released from fat cells. Sounds reasonable.

Today I had my first hot flashes so I must be in some stage of menopause. I'm thinking I should maybe go in for that physical I've been putting off for a few years. Sort of get a baseline...

But is my weightloss mojo going to keep on a for a while like it has been? Or will I see a slow down fairly soon? Does your metabolism only slow down post-menopause or does the slow down start right at the very beginning? What have the rest of you experienced?

thanks!

Last edited by Vladadog; 09-09-2010 at 03:44 AM. Reason: fixed my 150 calories a day to 1500!
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:16 AM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Heehee, please tell me that's 1500, not 150!

I'm 55 and fully menopaused. I'm currently re-losing what I lost last year, and have notes ~ I'm losing at Exactly the same rate as last year.
and when I lost a lot 6-8 years ago, when the menopause was still on the horizon, it was at a slower rate than now.

Just looked at your ticker ~ wow! you're doing Very Well! Well done!

Edited to add: when I was losing last year, I too had an unexpected Flo-call, 2 years after she quit. It alarmed the doctors and I got the tests and probes and scans, oh my; but I think it was the oestrogen.

Last edited by Rosinante; 09-09-2010 at 07:28 AM. Reason: typo
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:49 AM   #3  
Shifty Werewolf

Yeah, 150 calories a day - gee, no wonder I'm losing weight so well!

So, I've fixed that typo.

That's encouraging to me that your weight loss hasn't gotten noticeably tougher. I'm committed to my new healthy way of eating and to getting more exercise as a lifetime thing so I guess if the weightloss did slow it wouldn't change what I'm doing.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #4  

Default Bumping / New Here / My 2 cents

This topic is an ongoing question of mine. (new here, haven't intro'd, will remedy as time allows)

No sign of menopause other than mood swings and that might not be because of that (smiling). I'm days from 50 and have decided to love it!

But.. I am positive that what worked for me even a few years ago NO LONGER WORKS. That makes me crazy.

I'm not sure it's menopause but I am sure it's age. I can lose at about half the speed as before doing the same thing. WAAH!

My 2cents!
Roxanne
roxwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:26 PM   #5  
Shifty Werewolf

Welcome to 3FC roxwel!

So far this month I'm still losing well but I'm only just barely beginning menopause (no TOM this month so far but I'm not complaining about that, that's for sure!) so if it is going to cause some slow down in the weight loss I wouldn't expect to really see it yet.

I really have been losing nice and steady, much more easily than I would have expected at 50+. I wonder how much of that is because I've really never dieted before. I gave up junk food for a few months back in the late 80's and for a few months in 2008 but limiting junk food was the extent of my "diet" then. Where ever my luck comes from I'm happy to have it.

Still, stick with it Roxanne - and make this time for real!
Old 09-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #6  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

That was actually one of my motivators for losing weight NOW. The women in my family tend to reach menopause in their mid-40s, and I don't still want to be this large, trying to lose, and dealing with the hormone shift too.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #7  
Eat Small

S/C/G: 317/232/157

Height: 5' 6"

I use to be able to lose about 10 pounds a month, now I can only manage 5 at best and this is on exactly the same number of calories as before. I am less active, but I can tell the difference. It hurt to reach my 1 year anniversary of dieting and not even hit the half way mark....and I worked so hard on my diet! Before, I lost 120 pounds INSIDE of a year. Sigh. But I tell myself that time passes anyway whether I like it or not, I might as well keep plugging at it, maybe this time next year I will be at goal.
elisaannh is offline   Reply With Quote