Old 02-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Default Postmenopausal plateau

Hi, I'm an old, errr, experienced yo-yo'er with many weight losses behind me plus the inevitable regains. My past losses were different in many ways - mainly that I only focused on eating changes, not a total revamp of my health - but I lost quickly and consistently. This time I am hitting some major plateaus despite being consistently on plan. Heck, I even lost weight on a 2-week cruise.

Seeking the wisdom of other crones (an honorable title!), I'm wondering about this issue of plateaus specifically in menopause. Is this something I should just expect and keep plodding along, or, or what? I am one of the biggest believers in NOT focusing on the scale and seeing this is a journey, but I'm now getting a tad - ok, more than a tad - frustrated.
Sskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

How long has your plateau been? I'm a year in at 52 years old. I have had a few slips - maybe 10 out of 360. I've been reading about "set points" and letting your body adjust to its new "high". I'm ready to watch the scale head down - fingers crossed it is.
gggirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #3  
GmaTo8

I wish I had some advice for you, but all I know is, having gone through the big M already, is that losing weight is harder now. Not impossible, of course, but harder. I've been back OP for only a month now, and haven't hit a plateau yet, but the days of dropping pounds easily are long gone. In spite of that, I'm trudging onward and downward. Slowly, but surely. The best part of it is having my friends here to help me through the journey. I hope you hop in one of the threads, and join us! The Chatter for weight loss is a small group, and the Golden Girls is a large one. Both will welcome you with open arms!
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:23 PM   #4  
Eat Petite!

S/C/G: 307/253/157

Height: 5' 6"

I am 54. I am noticing a LOT of differences in this weight loss attempt and all the previous ones. I stopped dieting between 2003 and 2009, so I was away from it long enough to be able to note the changes.

I can't eat as much as still lose weight as I once did. As I age, I know I need less calories, but to have to keep those calories as low as I do now is a bit of a challenge, but I am working it. I am more sensitive to overeating now, easily getting sick with indigestion for mild infractions. Bingeing is out, they would do me in now. I cannot stand feeling stuffed anymore and I cannot stand feeling sick.

With weightloss, I am noticing major changes in my skin. It is more papery, thinner, less plump. The skin is not snapping back when the fat is gone at least not so far Sigh. Also, not having plumpness under the skin means I am ending up with a tinier bust and butt than I ever had before and I am not even halfway to goal! Double Sigh.

On the positive side, I sure do feel far more energy and a youthful feeling I have not felt in the last TEN years! I have a spring in my step and a renewed enthusiasm for life. I would rather be baggy and saggy and feel this good than obese and miserable and feeling like a lead weight.
three herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 235/tracker/150

Height: 5.9

I went thru M in late 40's and I've definitely noticed a difference in my metabolism. What worked when I was younger doesn't work anymore. I have probably become a bit more sedentary though.

lukesmom
lukesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:11 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

I have noticed that I stay at a new lower weight for a couple of weeks before heading down anew, and the "down" is just a little tat at a time, sigh. But, when I look back I see that overall I'm losing a pound or so a week, so it's okay. You have to keep looking back at the cumulative weight loss and taking your photos to see where you have come from, otherwise you can lose sight of the great progress you've made.

Also, in my mind, I think that letting my body readjust slowly to the new weight makes it somehow more likely to be permanent, and goodness knows we all want that.

That said, when I want to lose the next pound or so, I almost always have to stick to very low carb for the week and then also skip dinner once or twice (not breakfast, not lunch). Even if the calories are the same for the day (I track both carbs and calories) somehow this skipping dinner makes a huge difference in forcing myself down.

Hmmmmm ... maybe tonight's the night!

Congrats on your fabulous weight loss, BTW. It's funny, I use the same term as you did, I tell people on 3FC that I just plod along, too!

And I always say "You can't fail if you don't quit!"
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:43 PM   #7  

I went through menopause at 42. My weight was completely out of control at 250. I have a very hard time getting this stuff to come off. I love food ! I do not exercise. I would like to get a wii but then would it be like my treadmill, folded up in the den? I lack motivation. I need a diet program that works for me.
lilithb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/204/150

Height: 5'7"

Hi Lilith,

It has been very tough for me to come to terms with proper eating. I don't think you can totally deprive yourself, so you have to find balance. Now I have to stay away from junk carbs as much as possible. Do you like raw fruits and vegetables? I'm trying to make that the bulk of my diet, but you still need good protein and some fat. I'm constantly tweaking to find out what's best for me. But I don't want to cut my calories too much since I still have 60 pounds to go.

I've been seriously trying to lose weight (again) for 2 months. Weight that used to fall off easily now clings to me for all that it's worth.

I can't afford a Wii and I'm not sure I would use it. You have to find an activity that you like otherwise it can be easy to make excuses. Now that it is nice I can work in the garden (great exercise). I walk at my work breaks and at night if I have time. I love my rebounder and I’m slowly adding strength training.

The thing is that we can’t think of what we do as temporary anymore. It’s not about looking good in clothes for me like it used to be. I know I have to change for my health--I can’t wait to get out of the obese category. Feeling better is a great incentive, too for when the scale refuses to move.

I thought I learned these lessons 10 years ago, but I went back to school trying to save my job and it was too much for me. Then I self-medicated with food because of work stress and the pounds piled on.

Now I can't believe I let myself get this bad, but I can prevent me from getting bigger.

Good luck, coming here was a good start,

Doris
MaezieZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:57 AM   #9  
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Thanks very much for this thread. It helps today. Keeping on plan and enjoying it does indeed take more diligence than it did years ago.
SilverLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #10  
Eat Small

S/C/G: 317/232/157

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggirls View Post
How long has your plateau been? I'm a year in at 52 years old. I have had a few slips - maybe 10 out of 360. I've been reading about "set points" and letting your body adjust to its new "high". I'm ready to watch the scale head down - fingers crossed it is.
I really needed to see this today, and especially your weight ticker. I use to be able to lose far more weight in a year's time than I have this time around...in my 50's. Wow, what a difference it is and sooooo frustrating at times. I am so glad to see I am not alone in this issue and it helps me feel better about it taking another whole year to get to goal.
elisaannh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #11  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

The good news (based solely on my experience, no other knowledge or qualification) is that it does get better.

I think I can finally declare menopause, the peri stage lasted roughly from 2002 - 2006/7 (age 47-51/52) but staged annual comebacks in 2008 and 2009, which freaked the medics out. I think She's given up now!

My papery skin has recovered, my moods are not perfect but a whole lot better, my hair - hallelujah! for the first time in my adult life I can go 2 days between shampoos! so it's getting drier in a good way and even slightly thicker. And since the end of May I'm losing approximately a stone (14lbs) every 40 days. In 2002-2004, I lost 106lbs, and I've just worked that out at a stone every 88 days - so yes, things do get better, honest.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote